AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-11-11, 15:35   Link #101
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And Saber increased her standing from last time which was somewhat lower.
Old 2012-11-12, 11:32   Link #102
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Congrats to Morgianna making it to the poll
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 06:27   Link #103
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And wow... does Lacus Clyne ever have staying power. Gundam Seed is old now.
Well...the remastered version of Gundam SEED is playing on TV now...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 10:39   Link #104
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Posted by Westlo in the Magi thread

Not a lot of differences from last month. Gintoki is back and Magi characters enter the fray.
Old 2012-11-13, 10:44   Link #105
Eragon
Still Alive

Why the hell is Lelouch still there? I mean he is a good character and all but there are so many who are far better than him. Nice to see Iskandar at no.3. Surprised Gil didn't make it
Old 2012-11-13, 13:22   Link #106
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Kirito still on the top, awesome
Old 2012-11-13, 21:09   Link #107
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Why the hell is Lelouch still there? I mean he is a good character and all but there are so many who are far better than him. Nice to see Iskandar at no.3. Surprised Gil didn't make it
He's one of the few anti-hero/villaine-sque protagonists in a very popular series. Pretty much everyone who likes that kind of an archetype would vote for him, as well as general mecha fans as well as his fangirls.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 21:16   Link #108
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
NewType character ratings are consistently a mish-mash of...

1) Prominent KyoAni characters.

2) Major characters from "legacy" mecha shows (Gundam Seed, Code Geass, Macross Frontier).

3) Major characters from whatever is the "new hot thing" in the anime world today (such as Kirito, Asuna, various Fate/Zero characters).

Kyon, Lelouch, and Kira are characters that you will see with some regularity in the male listings.

Various K-On girls, Haruhi Suzumiya, Yuki Nagato, Lacus Clyne, and Sheryl are characters you'll often see in the female listings.

Filling out the other slots are new characters. Whenever there is a lot of older characters, it probably signals that there's currently not much out there appealing to the NewType readership; at least not in a BIG way.
Old 2012-11-13, 21:18   Link #109
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
It's a popularity poll, not about which is 'better'.

While not as bad as the female ranking, there's just not enough space to allow new characters to squeeze in for some recognition- you get like one or two series from each season and that's about it.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 21:20   Link #110
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Why the hell is Lelouch still there? I mean he is a good character and all but there are so many who are far better than him.
He's still a lot younger than Jesus. Kyon is also there and will never leave.

Great to see the boys in Magi joining in. I wonder if the Newtype readers will also dig Sindbad, that guy is majestic.

Also color me not surprised Rider is the most popular Fate/Zero dude. In a series full of stoics he's the one bombastic badass with a big, all-conquering heart.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 07:33   Link #111
Westlo
Lets be reality

Newtype polls are going to have.... Lelouche and Kira in the males section and Sheryl and Lacus in the female section, than it's whatever is popular at the time. Those 4 are staple characters and have been for a long time.

Sheryl's dropped out of the rankings once since Frontier aired, Alto and Ranka dropped out like a rock when the series finished and only reappeared occasionally when the Movies were released in cinemas/home release.

Don't think Lelouch has dropped out since Code Geass aired.

The SEED couple were quite spotty for a while a few years back but SEED HD is airing right now remember and the boxsets for that sell a lot better right now than most shows... (not to mention the latest gundam lol)
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 10:09   Link #112
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
NewType character ratings are consistently a mish-mash of...

1) Prominent KyoAni characters.

2) Major characters from "legacy" mecha shows (Gundam Seed, Code Geass, Macross Frontier).

3) Major characters from whatever is the "new hot thing" in the anime world today (such as Kirito, Asuna, various Fate/Zero characters).

Kyon, Lelouch, and Kira are characters that you will see with some regularity in the male listings.

Various K-On girls, Haruhi Suzumiya, Yuki Nagato, Lacus Clyne, and Sheryl are characters you'll often see in the female listings.

Filling out the other slots are new characters. Whenever there is a lot of older characters, it probably signals that there's currently not much out there appealing to the NewType readership; at least not in a BIG way.
I wonder if anyone who follows this stuff enough can pinpoint precisely the exact point in time when Newtype went from a sci-fi mecha anime and manga themed rag made in part to promote Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam to a predominantly moe themed rag with a secondary legacy sci-fi fan readership.

Anyway yeah for the reasons you stated above it's best not to take all that much from these polls other than to see which trends and shows are still popular are not. For the foreseeable future the criteria you mentioned seem pretty much like locks if not outright rules and guidelines which the readership have agreed to follow. It's really not about what character is "best" per se, but what character is representative of the types of shows that are most popular with the readership. That's why with rare exception you'll almost always see the main male and female lead from a given series even if many might argue that they aren't the "best" character in the show. For me the time when I take the most notice of these polls now is when I come across one and a character that I would never ever suspect to be in one has a placement. Like Kotetsu T. Kaburagi, what in the ever loving heck is he doing there? Movies? Even still he probably fits the mold the least of anyone in the male poll by far.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-11-14 at 10:20.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 10:40   Link #113
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Like Kotetsu T. Kaburagi, what in the ever loving heck is he doing there? Movies? Even still he probably fits the mold the least of anyone in the male poll by far.
He's a popular character (especially with fujoshis) and is the star of a hit tv series that just had a movie release. Said series has been featured prominently in Newtype for a long time and is currently #8 in their Top 20 Anime list, why the heck wouldn't he be on the list?

Old 2012-11-14, 19:46   Link #114
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I wonder if anyone who follows this stuff enough can pinpoint precisely the exact point in time when Newtype went from a sci-fi mecha anime and manga themed rag made in part to promote Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam to a predominantly moe themed rag with a secondary legacy sci-fi fan readership.

Anyway yeah for the reasons you stated above it's best not to take all that much from these polls other than to see which trends and shows are still popular are not. For the foreseeable future the criteria you mentioned seem pretty much like locks if not outright rules and guidelines which the readership have agreed to follow. It's really not about what character is "best" per se, but what character is representative of the types of shows that are most popular with the readership. That's why with rare exception you'll almost always see the main male and female lead from a given series even if many might argue that they aren't the "best" character in the show. For me the time when I take the most notice of these polls now is when I come across one and a character that I would never ever suspect to be in one has a placement. Like Kotetsu T. Kaburagi, what in the ever loving heck is he doing there? Movies? Even still he probably fits the mold the least of anyone in the male poll by far.
Good points. That's basically how I see it too.

As for Kotetsu, my guess is that he's there because Tiger and Bunny is a quasi-mecha show that appeals to fans of the legacy mecha titles (Gundam Seed, Macross Frontier, and Code Geass).

Modern NewType is like half-mecha/half-conventional moe (especially KyoAni style).
Old 2012-11-14, 20:01   Link #115
Kirarakim

Oh god Kirito at No. 1. I know it's just a popularity poll but it still kills me. lol

I am actually fine or even really like the rest of the characters on the poll (although I never watched Seed)

I remember Natsume once made the top 10 of this poll. Pretty good for a Shoujo lead.

That being said what is the voter ratio for Newtype is it mostly male or is it evenly split male & female?
Old 2012-11-14, 23:26   Link #116
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Good points. That's basically how I see it too.

As for Kotetsu, my guess is that he's there because Tiger and Bunny is a quasi-mecha show that appeals to fans of the legacy mecha titles (Gundam Seed, Macross Frontier, and Code Geass).

Modern NewType is like half-mecha/half-conventional moe (especially KyoAni style).
Lets not kid ourselves, tiger and bunny has a massive Fujoshi following or do you thInk tigers picture in this poll is appealing to fans of legacy mecha titles lol.

Look at how the characters are marketed ffs, I bet you wouldn't believe me if I said gintama was another Fujoshi title but stats released by jump shows more females buy gintama than males.
Old 2012-11-15, 01:12   Link #117
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Lets not kid ourselves, tiger and bunny has a massive Fujoshi following or do you thInk tigers picture in this poll is appealing to fans of legacy mecha titles lol.
A couple points:

1. I'm not denying that Tiger and Bunny has a significant fujoshi following. Of course they do.

2. That being said, we're talking about NewType magazine here, and not just any random anime-centric magazine. The very name of the magazine just screams "mecha" (I'm sure fans of the Amuro Ray/Char Aznable Gundam shows knows what "New Type" means). So are Kira and Lelouch here because they appeal to fujoshis, or are Kira and Lelouch here because they're major characters in legacy mecha titles? Personally, I think it's more the latter. Given the very mecha-esque feel of Kotetsu and Barnaby's costumes, I can see mecha fans also liking Tiger and Bunny.

If Kotetsu ranked highly on some internet poll of international anime fans that was put up on a site like this one, or ANN, or MAL, then I'd think fujoshis are the main reason for his success. But given that this is NewType magazine here? Personally, I think it has more to do with mecha fans.

Quote:
Look at how the characters are marketed ffs, I bet you wouldn't believe me if I said gintama was another Fujoshi title but stats released by jump shows more females buy gintama than males.
I haven't seen enough of Gintama to say if it's a Fujoshi title or not. Maybe it is.
Old 2012-11-15, 02:37   Link #118
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Of course they're both fujioshi marketed titles...Newtype being a mainly mech magazine ended quite a while ago.

(Rest deleted because I typed like a prick and R3 didn't deserve it at all.)

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2012-11-16 at 00:14.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 05:04   Link #119
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Of course they're both fujioshi marketed titles...Newtype being a mainly mech magazine ended quite a while ago.
What makes you say they're fujoshi-marketed titles? Pixiv is fanart. There's nothing official about that.

Is K-On! a teenage girl-marketed title just because a lot of teenage girls like the show?

From what I've heard and read, Tiger and Bunny was initially conceived as a show for mecha fans, superhero/sentai hero fans, and adult males in general (think "salarymen"). Sure, it also ended up appealing to fujoshis, but that doesn't mean that was the initial aim of the show. Again, it's like K-On in how it pulled in a demographic other than the initial target one.

If Tiger and Bunny was truly a fujoshi-targeted and marketed show, one would expect the show to have way, way more yaoi subtext. Aside from a gay supporting cast character (who isn't even one of the characters that the fujoshis focus on!), the show has no yaoi undertones to speak of.

Also, New Type magazine might not be "mainly mech", but it definitely retains an appreciation for the mecha genre. And so does much of its readership, I'm sure.

Quote:
Tiger & Bunny was close to the only title a lot of pixiv artists, particularly females ones, wanted to do art of during its airing. The way those characters act and dress and the like - it's pretty freaking obvious.
What's unusual about the way Kotetsu and Barnaby act and dress?

Quote:
People that I know that watched Tiger & Bunny - of both genders - didn't watch it for the mechs.
That's incorrect. You know me, and I watched it for the action (including the mecha action). I very much doubt I'm alone there.

Quote:
They watched it because they considered Kotetsu and Barnaby to be worthy of being FABulous.
That's not why Kaioshin, myself, or countless other people watched the show, LS.

What's so wrong with watching a show for the mecha, LS?

Oh, and I'm well-aware of "horny females", "homolust", and "bishies", and I have no problem "dealing with" their existence. But Kotetsu and Barnaby hardly make me think "bishies", and I don't see much evidence of them having "homolust" for each other either.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-11-15 at 05:26.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 06:24   Link #120
Kirarakim

Triple R is right that Tiger & Bunny is not a fujoshi show but I think they must have seen who was watching/buying and a lot of the merchandise is targeted to that group now.

It's the same thing that happened with Durarara with Izaya/Shizuo.

Tags
magazine, poll