AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-11-11, 00:28   Link #1
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Android Jelly Bean OS on a Netbook?

With the soon to arrive Nexus 10 coming out I'm thinking about turning in my old Asus EEE PC Netbook, but then I heard that you can install Android OS on a netbook.

Are there any benefits to this? Will my netbook run better with the latest Android on it or will lead me down a path with broken drivers and non functional accessories on my netbook?
Old 2012-11-14, 03:55   Link #2
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
There is an x86 port of Android, but I wouldn't really bother with it since with a netbook like that you can easily get a full-featured desktop OS that runs just as fast (if not faster).

I'd recommend Xubuntu as it's easy to use and runs the Xfce window manager, which is much faster on old hardware than something like GNOME or KDE.
Old 2012-11-14, 05:39   Link #3
Wandering_Youth

Is it user friendly? I'll admit I'm not very tech savvy with Linux based operating system so I'm a bit scared to use something other than Windows.
Old 2012-11-14, 16:28   Link #4
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

let just say there is no point (for you) to use android on x86 laptop.

is not user friendly on laptop since it touch based UI. also seem to be complicated to set up.

just use Linux if you want free os like the one that synaesthetic mention

Last edited by RRW; 2012-11-14 at 18:33.
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 18:32   Link #5
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Is it user friendly? I'll admit I'm not very tech savvy with Linux based operating system so I'm a bit scared to use something other than Windows.
If you can format the drive without fear of losing important files installing Ubuntu should be pretty straight forward. It might take some time getting used to it, but it should extend the useful lifetime of your notebook IMO.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 09:57   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I have Kubuntu 12.04 running on an ASUS EEEpc 1201n. It runs fine, though this machine does have a NVIDIA video adapter.

I think one of the biggest hurdles people have coming from Windows to Linux is not the desktop (KDE looks very Windows-like), but understanding how software distribution in the Linux world works. The concept of central repositories with thousands of pre-tested programs is quite alien to the Windows world of third-party companies and downloading programs from random web sites. Things like App Stores have made this concept less alien to users in general, but it's still a very different approach to software distribution than the model used for Windows.
Old 2012-11-15, 19:54   Link #7
Wandering_Youth

Thanks, I'll check out all the Ubuntu variants and see which one works better on netbooks.
Old 2012-11-18, 17:50   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I have Kubuntu 12.04 running on an ASUS EEEpc 1201n. It runs fine, though this machine does have a NVIDIA video adapter.

I think one of the biggest hurdles people have coming from Windows to Linux is not the desktop (KDE looks very Windows-like), but understanding how software distribution in the Linux world works. The concept of central repositories with thousands of pre-tested programs is quite alien to the Windows world of third-party companies and downloading programs from random web sites. Things like App Stores have made this concept less alien to users in general, but it's still a very different approach to software distribution than the model used for Windows.
Linux's model is really so much better. I love how centralized and easy it all is. Once you've got all your repos added to synaptic it's easy as pie to keep everything updated--the update manager will simply check to see if new versions are released and notify you when they are.

Windows is annoying in that keeping programs updated often involves allowing them permissions to check for updates themselves instead of a centralized system utility doing it, not to mention the gigantic clusterfuck of a mess that is the registry...