AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-11-15, 09:53   Link #461
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 28
I'm still hoping they're saving their budget for Battle Tendency. This part isn't very suited to the style they're using on Phantom Blood (which I agree is great, it more than makes up for the cheap animation), but maybe they'll surprise us. I'm sure they can work something out. For starters, they should amp the fabulous up.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 20:23   Link #462
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I would prefer to call it the choice of style instead of being "cheap" as the latter imply something bad.
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 21:33   Link #463
neshru
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Well, it's a style that's very cheap to achieve, no doubt about it
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 21:54   Link #464
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rokkenjima
I'm finding that the animation in Jojo is great! Cheap, expensive, I don't really care, because the episodes have been looking so good. But assuming some of the info up-thread is accurate and Battle Tendency won't suit the current style so well, I hope they'll up the budget for its animation a bit. I'm really looking forward to seeing the content of Battle Tendency, since everyone says it'll be excellent.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 23:36   Link #465
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
Well, it's a style that's very cheap to achieve, no doubt about it
it's not a bad style though
wish more smaller studio using similar techniques.
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 23:39   Link #466
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
I'm finding that the animation in Jojo is great! Cheap, expensive, I don't really care, because the episodes have been looking so good. But assuming some of the info up-thread is accurate and Battle Tendency won't suit the current style so well, I hope they'll up the budget for its animation a bit. I'm really looking forward to seeing the content of Battle Tendency, since everyone says it'll be excellent.
Its where JoJo started to being JoJo, instead Hokuto no Ken wannabe..
__________________
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 04:22   Link #467
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I don't see any point of talking about Jojo the animation's budget being cheap or expensive. Its good as it is, even tho there were things that can be improved and fixed, but overall, its still good and nice enough for me.

Being expensive means that the anime will be good, and being cheap means the quality will drop - this lines hold true likely for many anime titles based on recent VNs and mangas, but for Jojo, its not necessarily true. Jojo is just that - fits in between the border of good and bad. No matter how cheap or how expensive the budget will be, Jojo will still retain its goodness, no doubt about that. It makes no different even if KyoAni or JC Staff were to animate Jojo instead of David Production - Jojo is still Jojo.

But perhaps i'd rather be having Jojo just as it is. Seeing good studio making the anime looks perfect just gonna make things feel wrong. I could care less with the bad animation or what, as long as i get the vibe and hype. These feelings i got just from watching the first few eps already surpassed those that i got when watching the OVAs. But mind you that it wasn't the animation style that gave me such feelings. Its because of the title "Jojo". Being a hard fan of Jojo, i can accept any kind of animation style - be it bad or good, so long it retains the important essences of Jojo in it.
__________________
Its ACGN that matters - A blog made by ACGN lovers,for ACGN lovers
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 08:34   Link #468
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by margafred View Post
It makes no different even if KyoAni or JC Staff were to animate Jojo instead of David Production - Jojo is still Jojo.
I'm really not sure about that, there's been a lot of cases where good stories were completely ruined by bad adaptions, and the hands of the anime studio that do them generally has a deep impact on the result.

It doesn't matter how good a story is, it will suck if it's badly executed. I think this holds particularly true for JoJo, because its appeal isn't really about what happens as there isn't anything particularly original in that, but about how it happens. JoJo is all about its absolutely bizarre and fabulous style.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 09:55   Link #469
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I'm really not sure about that, there's been a lot of cases where good stories were completely ruined by bad adaptions, and the hands of the anime studio that do them generally has a deep impact on the result.

It doesn't matter how good a story is, it will suck if it's badly executed. I think this holds particularly true for JoJo, because its appeal isn't really about what happens as there isn't anything particularly original in that, but about how it happens. JoJo is all about its absolutely bizarre and fabulous style.
I couldn't agree more. The reason the anime adaptation has been so enjoyable so far is that David Production has managed to play on Jojo's strength with the use of colors, onomatopoeia, the over the top acting and the fabulous poses. They have managed to capture the essence of Jojo. Other studios might have handled it very differently and we could have ended with a bland and dull product in spite of a better animation quality.

Style and execution are incredibly important when it comes to Jojo. Take that away and it's not Jojo anymore.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 10:20   Link #470
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
Which is why it's one of the hardest shounen to enjoy outright.

As I have said posts earlier, I have not been able to enjoy the 90s OAVs fifteen years ago due to personal bias (Dragon Ball was still being a big deal and I have come out of Ninja Scroll AND Lodoss). A newcomer in JoJo have to climb a mental cliff's face which requires him to cast aside everything he have known and that have molded him as an anime fan because it will not look "pretty-ed up" like JCStaff's productions like Raildex, anything KyoAni, Sunrise's stuff like Geass. The newcomer may write it off as a "cheap and gay Hokuto no Ken knock-off", there is a lot of "Tell" moments when in this age the sacred cow is "Show, Don't Tell", and seriously if you try to look for something that closely emulates reality in JoJo, you won't, because Araki don't care.

But once you have jumped the gap, a wonderful world where the epic tale of the Joestars is told by the minstrel Araki opens its arms to you.
__________________
<a rel=nofollow href=http://forums.animesuki.com/group.php?groupid=959 target=_blank>Kancolle Social Group</a>
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 10:38   Link #471
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Which is why it's one of the hardest shounen to enjoy outright.

As I have said posts earlier, I have not been able to enjoy the 90s OAVs fifteen years ago due to personal bias (Dragon Ball was still being a big deal and I have come out of Ninja Scroll AND Lodoss). A newcomer in JoJo have to climb a mental cliff's face which requires him to cast aside everything he have known and that have molded him as an anime fan because it will not look "pretty-ed up" like JCStaff's productions like Raildex, anything KyoAni, Sunrise's stuff like Geass. The newcomer may write it off as a "cheap and gay Hokuto no Ken knock-off", there is a lot of "Tell" moments when in this age the sacred cow is "Show, Don't Tell", and seriously if you try to look for something that closely emulates reality in JoJo, you won't, because Araki don't care.

But once you have jumped the gap, a wonderful world where the epic tale of the Joestars is told by the minstrel Araki opens its arms to you.
I for one have never seen anything Jojo related besides the classic arcade game before, merely heard about it in hushed whipsers, but I have such a deep background in 80's and 90's anime that this was like strolling right back into my comfort zone with a beer in hand and having a seat. Also I for one love Speedwagon and Zeppeli just absolutely screaming expository dialogue with the comic book style captions, it's just so fitting somehow and part of what adds to the shows cult value.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 16:56   Link #472
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I'm really not sure about that, there's been a lot of cases where good stories were completely ruined by bad adaptions, and the hands of the anime studio that do them generally has a deep impact on the result.

It doesn't matter how good a story is, it will suck if it's badly executed. I think this holds particularly true for JoJo, because its appeal isn't really about what happens as there isn't anything particularly original in that, but about how it happens. JoJo is all about its absolutely bizarre and fabulous style.
Bad execution is another story, just like how they did with Phantom Blood movie, which earned Araki's wrath, and ultimately brought the movie down to hell.

I'm talking about quality, which JC Staff and KyoAni are so well known for. Ppl asking that Jojo should have the quality like how JC Staff and KyoAni did to most of their VN adapted titles, having smooth and clean animation, as well as nice character designs. But to me such thing is meaningless for Jojo. Jojo is already good as it is under David Production.

Beside, i doubt that quality studio would be able to bring Jojo's fabulousness in the way David Production currently does. The dynamic styles of Jojo will never go well with most quality studios that emphasize on moe style design.
__________________
Its ACGN that matters - A blog made by ACGN lovers,for ACGN lovers
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 21:29   Link #473
DuoRanger
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: who knows?
anyway david productions deserves the shining middle finger of HOLY SHIT IS AWESOME!


DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 22:19   Link #474
OPN
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Georgia
Age: 17
WAGA KYOKU MO! IPPATSU OVAHDRIVVVU!
Manliest
Spoiler for Spoiler:
this season.
__________________
OPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 06:06   Link #475
Meltyred
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Zepelli, may you rest in peace, your sacrifice shall not be in vain!

So awesome,
Spoiler for Ep7 spoiler:


And Speedwagon got a hat full of swag now.
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 06:11   Link #476
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
the testosterone is overflowing
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 06:18   Link #477
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
Spoiler:


Judging from the preview we may move onto part 2 around the 9th or the 10th episode.
__________________
<a rel=nofollow href=http://forums.animesuki.com/group.php?groupid=959 target=_blank>Kancolle Social Group</a>
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 08:09   Link #478
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 28
Zeppeli-saaaaan ;_;
To love and win is the best thing. To love and lose, the next best.

I'm glad the mother eating her baby in the anime. Dio is one of the most cruel and twisted villain ever. One of those you love to hate.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 10:49   Link #479
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Zeppeli past and new info were interesting.
Damn... that Tarkus monster sure did a number on Zeppeli.
Jojo was lucky to have such an amazing friend.
It's a shame Zeppeli had such a short role.
Dio is spreading his evil where ever he can.
So Jojo lost one and gained 3 new comrades.
__________________
My new Blog --> ookami (anime, manga, movies, JDrama, music, Japan..) & latest reviews

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 14:48   Link #480
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Age: 25
Oh man Zeppelli! Didn't expect the teacher to show up with some help. It will help since Dio has so many minions and it was just going to be Jojo by himself.
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fabulous

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.