AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 14 25.45%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 30.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 36.36%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-11-25, 11:57   Link #81
Dauerlutscher
I never asked for this
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Maybe because there is just nothing going one between Satoru and Saki.

And Satoru is the male protagonist??? What the heck??? Since when?
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 12:03   Link #82
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIby47 View Post
By the way, why did eveyone suddenly switched from shipping Satoru with Saki (in episodes 5 to 7) to Shun with Saki?
I didn't. (As much as it can be called "shipping," anyway...) And I still like Satoru a lot. It's just that, as I wrote in another thread, this story is not exactly shipping-friendly.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 12:18   Link #83
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIby47 View Post

By the way, why did eveyone suddenly switched from shipping Satoru with Saki (in episodes 5 to 7) to Shun with Saki? Shun is the Yukito (from Card Captor Sakura) of this series, not the Syaoran. The Sasuke, not the Naruto... Anyway you get the idea.
Saki and Satoru both love Shun more than they do each other. That's abundantly clear, imo.

This takes the charm away from Saki/Satoru shipping, imo. A Saki/Satoru romantic pairing would feel to me like both of them settling for someone other than who they truly love the most.

That doesn't mean it won't happen - In fact, there's a good chance it will happen (because yeah, I don't think Shun is going to last much longer) - But Saki/Satoru is a hard pairing to get behind because there's just not much tying them together that way. After 9 episodes, that matters, imo.


In some ways, this show is a shipper's dream, because of all the possibilities it provides. In other ways, though, it's a shipper's nightmare, because you just know that the plot isn't going to be friendly to many (if any) of those possibilities. And any pairing that successfully happens/lasts is probably going to feel like the romance equivalent of a pyrrhic victory. It's kind of like Madoka Magica in these ways, only with many more non-yuri options.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 13:29   Link #84
hai_san
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Damn another Cliffhanger... best ep since 3/4 storywise. Well at first i was also rooting for Saki&Shun in the first 1-3 EP, but with 5 it came some interesting interaction with Satoru and Saki, then with 7ep the yaoi twist with Shun/Satoru??o.O and also Saki/Maria... now it is kinda hard to root for any of them... i hope that by the end of the show not only 2 the of main cast survives... Saki is for sure but the other is atm most likely Satoru but perhaps Mamoru will surprise us? Since Maria and Shun are unlikely...
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 13:34   Link #85
mayumi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
the problem with shipping is that its like naruto where you can't take the shipping seriously at all. everyone got some one sided love or crush but they are 14. i know their society is different etc but they are still just 14 to me.
I also agree with the sasuke of naruto comparison for shun. i even remember shikamaru's quote in part 1 who said geniuses fall the hardest when they fail.

that's one of the bigger reason why i think satoru is actually a lot smarter and stronger than people give him credit for because he is over shadowed by handsome genius shun. is shun failing because of his genetics or is it because he is too proud of his abilities? i remember back in ep 8 when he approaches satoru and ignores saki and praises satoru for his mirror skill. yet satoru wanted to impress saki by asking her what she thinks of his skill and saki obviously does not want to lose to satoru so criticizes him but neither does shun, i think.
mayumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 14:03   Link #86
BIby47
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Saki and Satoru both love Shun more than they do each other. That's abundantly clear, imo.

This takes the charm away from Saki/Satoru shipping, imo. A Saki/Satoru romantic pairing would feel to me like both of them settling for someone other than who they truly love the most.

That doesn't mean it won't happen - In fact, there's a good chance it will happen (because yeah, I don't think Shun is going to last much longer) - But Saki/Satoru is a hard pairing to get behind because there's just not much tying them together that way. After 9 episodes, that matters, imo.


In some ways, this show is a shipper's dream, because of all the possibilities it provides. In other ways, though, it's a shipper's nightmare, because you just know that the plot isn't going to be friendly to many (if any) of those possibilities. And any pairing that successfully happens/lasts is probably going to feel like the romance equivalent of a pyrrhic victory. It's kind of like Madoka Magica in these ways, only with many more non-yuri options.

I disagree and here's why...

Seems you forgot that feelings could change. You don't love the same guy or girl for the rest of your life.

It doesn't really matter what she feels NOW, but how she will feel later in the story.

Especially in anime, it's common that the female protagonist has a crush on someone that isn't the male protagonist (and sometime the male protagonist also has a crush on the very same guy, like in Card Captor Sakura, or like in this show XD) but by the end she does develops feelings for him and vice versa... She could develop strong feelings for him, as strong as Shun or even stronger later on.


Also, it always seemed to me like Satoru has a crush on Saki when they were 12, and I also think she has a thing for him, even if she doesn't know how to process it or what it means... yet.

I mean, he's her closest guy friend and they've went through a lot together in the past and they went through it together just the two of them without Shun. That must mean something to them.
They have a bond that they don't share with Shun between them.

Last edited by BIby47; 2012-11-25 at 14:19.
BIby47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 14:07   Link #87
BIby47
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
Satoru is the male protagonist??? What the heck??? Since when?
Since always...

I mean look at the posters for the series:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/13125/S.../pic&pid=41993

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/12/43225l.jpg


they mainly showed the two of them up front while Shun was close to the back.

Not to mention they're always paired together when the group split up and they were the only characters we were with during the rat creatures arc which was the most critical point of the first volume of the series...
BIby47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 14:18   Link #88
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIby47 View Post
I disagree and here's why...

Seems you forgot that feeling could change. You don't love the same guy or girl for the rest of your life.
I never "forgot" any such thing. As for not loving the same guy or girl for the rest of your life... Actually, that's not always true. I personally know a fair number of people who married their high school sweetheart (and those people are still happily married).

Here's the thing - I'm not seeing any indication that Saki or Satoru are even considering one another as romantic options. They're good friends, sure, but I'm not getting any sense whatsoever of them being romantically interested in one another.


Quote:
It doesn't really matter what she feels NOW,
Of course it matters what she feels now. And right now she obviously loves Shun and clearly sees Satoru as just a friend. And Saki has known both for a long time, so that says a lot.


Quote:

Especially in anime, it's common that the female protagonist has a crush on someone that isn't the male protagonist (and sometime male protagonist also has a crush on him, like in Card Captor Sakura XD) but by the end she does develops feelings for him and vice versa... She could develop strong feelings for him, as strong as Shun or even stronger later on.
If so, then this should be foreshadowed a helluva lot better. This is Episode 9, for crying out loud. By this point in an anime story, the main romance ought to be pretty well-established or at least getting several hints pointing its way. If not, the main romance is either not important to the story, or the main romance is simply not being handled well.


Quote:

Also, it always seemed to me like Satoru has a crush on Saki when they were 12, and I also think she has a thing for him, even if she doesn't know how to process it or what it means...
On what basis do you think that Saki has a thing for Satoru? What piece of dialogue suggests that even in the slightest?
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 14:27   Link #89
BIby47
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I never "forgot" any such thing. As for not loving the same guy or girl for the rest of your life... Actually, that's not always true. I personally know a fair number of people who married their high school sweetheart (and those people are still happily married).

Here's the thing - I'm not seeing any indication that Saki or Satoru are even considering one another as romantic options. They're good friends, sure, but I'm not getting any sense whatsoever of them being romantically interested in one another.




Of course it matters what she feels now. And right now she obviously loves Shun and clearly sees Satoru as just a friend. And Saki has known both for a long time, so that says a lot.




If so, then this should be foreshadowed a helluva lot better. This is Episode 9, for crying out loud. By this point in an anime story, the main romance ought to be pretty well-established or at least getting several hints pointing its way. If not, the main romance is either not important to the story, or the main romance is simply not being handled well.




On what basis do you think that Saki has a thing for Satoru? What piece of dialogue suggests that even in the slightest?


"If so, then this should be foreshadowed a helluva lot better. This is Episode 9, for crying out loud. By this point in an anime story, the main romance ought to be pretty well-established or at least getting several hints pointing its way. If not, the main romance is either not important to the story, or the main romance is simply not being handled well."

And what they went through during the rat creatures arc doesn't count?!

I mean...

Spoiler:


^^The last one is when she yelled at him that he was not acting like himself, "After all Satoru, you were always, always..."

They had so many "moments" of intimacy and closeness together during that arc.
And i'm not even talking about the almost-sex scene because that doesn't count because of the way their society treats sex.

You would show those pictures to anyone and they will tell you that they look like a couple or a future couple. How is that NOT foreshadowing for them?

Last edited by BIby47; 2012-11-25 at 14:52.
BIby47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 14:49   Link #90
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
On what basis do you think that Saki has a thing for Satoru? What piece of dialogue suggests that even in the slightest?
It's not a "piece of dialogue," but I saw foreshadowings back in episodes one and two.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 14:50   Link #91
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIby47 View Post
"If so, then this should be foreshadowed a helluva lot better.
Can you stop it with the shipping war? This isn't the thread for this kind of discussion. You like Satoru with Saki? Cool, you already said it, now move on please. You don't need to flood the thread with "proof" and whatnot. If it happens (and it probably will) good for you, but right now Saki loves Shun and this is important because it's her motivation for her current actions, which is why people is discussion this right now. It's not about shipping.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 14:54   Link #92
BIby47
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Can you stop it with the shipping war? This isn't the thread for this kind of discussion. You like Satoru with Saki? Cool, you already said it, now move on please. You don't need to flood the thread with "proof" and whatnot. If it happens (and it probably will) good for you, but right now Saki loves Shun and this is important because it's her motivation for her current actions, which is why people is discussion this right now. It's not about shipping.
I'm talking about it because I think it's important to the story and for what will come next.

By the way, do you have something against Satoru? It seems like you do...
BIby47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 14:58   Link #93
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIby47 View Post
By the way, do you have something against Satoru?
No, I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIby47 View Post
I'm talking about it because I think it's important to the story and for what will come next.

Look at the title of this thread. It says episode 9 thread. It's about episode 9, about the current developments, not what will happen in the future.

I'll say it again, stop it with the shipping war please. You can request the admin to create a romance thread or something like that for this sort of discussion, but this has no place in this thread.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 15:02   Link #94
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIby47 View Post

You would show those pictures to anyone and they will tell you that they look like a couple or a future couple. How is that NOT foreshadowing for them?
Then why didn't it go anywhere?

Satoru clearly is completely wrapped up in Shun right now. So is Saki.


I mean, if I had to draw a love diagram for the main cast of this show, it would currently go like this:

Saki loves Shun. Shun loves Saki.

Satoru loves Shun. Shun considers Satoru a friend/"love partner"

Maria loves Saki. Saki considers Maria a friend/"love partner"

Mamoru loves Maria. Maria considers Mamoru a friend.

Beyond that, it's just friendship.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 15:04   Link #95
BIby47
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
No, I don't.




Look at the title of this thread. It says episode 9 thread. It's about episode 9, about the current developments, but what will happen in the future.

I'll say it again, stop it with the shipping war please. You can request the admin to create a romance thread or something like that for this sort of discussion, but this has no place in this thread.
Well you always say bad things about him (like that no one in the show really wants him or something like that XD) and you seem to like Saki with Shun so I just thought... You know.

Anyway. no more shipping (for now)... But I think the best solution here is for the three of them (Saki, Satoru and Shun) to have an awesome threesome with each other and be done with it XD
BIby47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 15:09   Link #96
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIby47 View Post
Well you always say bad things about him (like that no one in the show really wants him or something like that XD)
That was a tongue and cheek comment. I like all the characters. It's actually the way the plot develops what I don't like that much about this series, but that's a topic for another time lol
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 15:12   Link #97
BIby47
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Then why didn't it go anywhere?

Satoru clearly is completely wrapped up in Shun right now. So is Saki.


I mean, if I had to draw a love diagram for the main cast of this show, it would currently go like this:

Saki loves Shun. Shun loves Saki.

Satoru loves Shun. Shun considers Satoru a friend/"love partner"

Maria loves Saki. Saki considers Maria a friend/"love partner"

Mamoru loves Maria. Maria considers Mamoru a friend.

Beyond that, it's just friendship.

"Then why didn't it go anywhere?"

Well they almost had sex... XD


Kidding.


It didn't go anywhere for the same reason it didn't go anywhere between Saki and Shun.

Because their society only permits them to have homosexual relationships at their age.

It also seems like Saki and Satoru grew apart over the years and stopped hanging out together because of his relationship with Shun.

If that wasn't the case and it would have been any other show, we would have probably seen both Satoru and Shun chase after Saki and fights for her heart.

And I'm sure we will see more "moments" between Satoru and Saki from now on. Now that they're back to be good friends and hang out together again.

So in other words we will see the continuation of their relationship from where it stopped during the rat creatures arc.


By the way I heard that in the novel she does admits to herself that she feels something for Satoru, that he makes her feel safe and protected but she doesn't really know what to make out of it.

But for some reason they didn't show it in the anime...

Last edited by BIby47; 2012-11-25 at 15:42.
BIby47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 15:14   Link #98
Dauerlutscher
I never asked for this
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIby47 View Post
Since always...

I mean look at the posters for the series:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/13125/S.../pic&pid=41993

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/12/43225l.jpg


they mainly showed the two of them up front while Shun was close to the back.

Not to mention they're always paired together when the group split up and they were the only characters we were with during the rat creatures arc which was the most critical point of the first volume of the series...
3 episodes out of 9 where friends were forced to work together to survive.
Is that all that qualifies to make someone a protagonist for you?
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 15:28   Link #99
BIby47
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
3 episodes out of 9 where friends were forced to work together to survive.
Is that all that qualifies to make someone a protagonist for you?
Then why is he front and center on all the posters?

Why even the author of the book described him as the protagonist...

"I've placed the setting of this story 1,000 years in the future of our modern society, so I would like them to imagine what it would be like if they were born in this age, if they were Saki, or Satoru, as they watch this animation. If they can place themselves in the protagonists' positions as they enjoy this work, then I think it will be a wonderful visual experience."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anim...-the-new-world

?

If not him then who?
BIby47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 16:28   Link #100
BIby47
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Anyway back on topic...

What do you think will happen to Shun?

If he'll die, will it makes him the Mami of this show?

As in, a plot device to show that no one in this show is safe.

If that will turn out to be his purpose then that's really depressing...



Or will they go the Sasuke/Yuji Sakai route and he'll become the antagonist that needs to be stopped?

What will you prefer?



Do you see any other option for the story to go with him that doesn't include him being killed or turn to the dark side?


And if he will die what will it mean for the group?

Will they have to run away again from their village and ask help from the rats to help them fight and change their society?
BIby47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.