AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-11-26, 20:42   Link #1
Toddler Naruto
Playful Explorer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fair Oaks, California
Age: 25
[Guide] How to Remux MKVs to MP4s

1.) Download/install MKVExtract GUI2 and YAMB.
2.) Open up MKVExtract GUI2, click on the browse button (the ... button by input file) and choose the MKV.
3.) Check/Tick the audio and video streams.
4.) Check/Tick Use source dir for output.
5.) Click Extract.
6.) After both streams have been extracted, close MKVExtract GUI2 and then open up YAMB.
7.) Go to Creation, and double click on "Click to create a MP4 file with multiple audio, video, subtitle and chapter streams".
8.) Click on Add, and select the video stream.
9.) Click on Add, and select the audio stream(s).
10.) Rename the output file if you desire, then click on Next.
11.) Wait for the muxing to complete, then click on finish and yes.
12.) You're done, congrats.
Toddler Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 18:15   Link #2
ForwardUntoDawn
Operation "sneaky sneaks"
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
Handbrake's latest build can perform more or less the same without the need to extract the files inside the mkv or muxing back any data streams down the road The process is slightly faster in that regard:
  1. Select the source file, choose its destination and provide a name for it
  2. Add all of the necessary audio and subtitle tracks using the tabs
  3. Choose the desired format (i.e. file type, dimensions)
  4. Convert the video
__________________
ForwardUntoDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 18:54   Link #3
sneaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Handbrake does not remux the video, it will always re-encode it. But HandBrake is great for hard-subbing fancy subtitles into the video - very easy to use.

For simple video re-muxing MkvToMp4 also seems to be pretty popular. It will convert the audio to AAC if necessary, keep chapters and supports soft-subbing.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 23:28   Link #4
Toddler Naruto
Playful Explorer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fair Oaks, California
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
Handbrake's latest build can perform more or less the same without the need to extract the files inside the mkv or muxing back any data streams down the road The process is slightly faster in that regard:
  1. Select the source file, choose its destination and provide a name for it
  2. Add all of the necessary audio and subtitle tracks using the tabs
  3. Choose the desired format (i.e. file type, dimensions)
  4. Convert the video
Thanks for trying to help, but that's converting, not remuxing.

I chose remuxing over converting because it's alot quicker for me.

(converting/re-encoding etc would take 1-2 hours for one episode, vs. 5-10 minutes with remuxing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
For simple video re-muxing MkvToMp4 also seems to be pretty popular. It will convert the audio to AAC if necessary, keep chapters and supports soft-subbing.
Thanks for the suggestion, I hope MKVtoMP4 is still being updated.

By the way, is it possible to hardsub videos without converting/re-encoding/transcoding etc?
Toddler Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 09:11   Link #5
sneaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
No, hard-subbing means that the subtitles have to become a part of the very video bitstream, which requires re-encoding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddler Naruto View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I hope MKVtoMP4 is still being updated.
It is. Last update is from November 14th.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 05:15   Link #6
Toddler Naruto
Playful Explorer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fair Oaks, California
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
No, hard-subbing means that the subtitles have to become a part of the very video bitstream, which requires re-encoding.
Drat, well thanks for the clear explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
It is. Last update is from November 14th.
Sadly it turns out my PS3 can't recognize/read softsubs (or just softsubbed MP4s?).

My only option left is hardsubbing, which I'll never do until I have my own computer.

(my mom's PC is too ancient/old, takes it 1-2 hours to hardsub a 720p 24 minute video)
Toddler Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-28, 08:58   Link #7
kerryjosber
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
yeah,i think so, hard-subbing means that the subtitles have to become a part of the very video bitstream, which requires re-encoding.
kerryjosber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.