AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-11-30, 12:53   Link #1421
AnimeFan188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
British company claims biggest engine advance since the jet:

"A small British company with a dream of building a re-usable space plane has
won an important endorsement from the European Space Agency (ESA) after
completing key tests on its novel engine technology."

See:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AR0V220121128
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 13:14   Link #1422
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Their concept design looks an aweful lot like the PAN-AM painted space plane from 2001 A Space Odyssey.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 13:20   Link #1423
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
British company claims biggest engine advance since the jet:

"A small British company with a dream of building a re-usable space plane has
won an important endorsement from the European Space Agency (ESA) after
completing key tests on its novel engine technology."

See:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AR0V220121128
Yes, yes, yes, finally an engine that propel a one stage vehicle from sea level to LEO is not a matter of science fiction but a manner of (expending) money and time Now it is just a matter of the Hilton family building the first hotel in orbit and I will feel like I am truly alive in the 21st century I wonder when the chinese will steal the technology to enhance their space program
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 13:24   Link #1424
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Bigelow Aerospace is already working on that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BA_330
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 14:42   Link #1425
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
Yes, yes, yes, finally an engine that propel a one stage vehicle from sea level to LEO is not a matter of science fiction but a manner of (expending) money and time Now it is just a matter of the Hilton family building the first hotel in orbit and I will feel like I am truly alive in the 21st century I wonder when the chinese will steal the technology to enhance their space program
The engines and heat exchangers have to proof its reliability before it can be used. The more complex you make a machine, the more parts can break in even more ways.
To counteract this, each part has to be more reliable than a comparable part in a modern jet engine. This will be the truely ambitious part of the project. But even then such technology might share the fate of the Concorde.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 16:00   Link #1426
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
The engines and heat exchangers have to proof its reliability before it can be used. The more complex you make a machine, the more parts can break in even more ways.
To counteract this, each part has to be more reliable than a comparable part in a modern jet engine. This will be the truely ambitious part of the project. But even then such technology might share the fate of the Concorde.
hisss, boooo ... I mean, we do not for certain that the new design is more complicated, IMO the designers probably have the KISS mentality. I know it has yet to tested IRL, but there are plenty of rea$on$ to make it work.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 16:33   Link #1427
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Ground to orbital travel without extra rockets would be a boom for any space industry, and especially tourism.

Bigelow Aerospace would benefit from that since they seem to be suggesting they will have two small orbital complexes in service by 2017.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 19:58   Link #1428
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Ice and organic goo on Mercury! Get yours now! (yes, we have a proble dinking around at Mercury)

http://www.npr.org/2012/11/29/166162...rcurys-craters
I just see this as validation that Sailor Moon got it hilariously right when they gave Sailor Mercury water/ice powers.

__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 10:35   Link #1429
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Ground to orbital travel without extra rockets would be a boom for any space industry, and especially tourism.

Bigelow Aerospace would benefit from that since they seem to be suggesting they will have two small orbital complexes in service by 2017.
They said its good for reaching lower earth orbit. Depending on how low that actually is (somewhere in between 160km and 2000km height), the one stage approach may or may not be useful for certain applications.
The costs to bring a satelite into lower earth orbit today are not that high. You do not need the most powerful rockets to get there. Hence, the one stage approach is still going to face tough competition.
And before someone thinks I don't like the idea of that one stage approach. Let me tell you, that is not the case. But I rather look at the prospect of Bigelow Aerospace realistically.
This system will certainly have to compete with scramjets sooner or later. So, there are many ifs for that particular one stage approach.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 10:46   Link #1430
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Bigelow's benefit woul dnot be getting their equipment up there, but getting people to there stations.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 10:53   Link #1431
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Bigelow's benefit woul dnot be getting their equipment up there, but getting people to there stations.
But how is that any different? Consider a human being an organic satelite. (the moon is often called a satelite of the earth, so there seems to be no boundaries in size, form or structure in that definition)
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 11:51   Link #1432
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
But how is that any different?
I am under the assumption that your question is "How different is to use a one stage reusable vehicle vs. traditional rockets to get people into LEO hotels?". If that is the case, it would be cheaper (nothing more, nothing less). Think for a moment that some company designed cheap planes that could cross the atlantic but could only be used once, if such endeavor could compete with commercial reusable planes we would have seen them by now, don't you think?
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 12:22   Link #1433
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Well it the space plane design is modelled at least partly along airline models it means a relatively confortable trip for tourists and business types that might want to stay at one of Bigelow's stations for a few days. The plane would likely return to Earth, get fueled up and ready for the next set of passangers to that or one of the other stations.

Unlike the Space Shuttle, there would be no disposable parts and no external rockets that need to be recovered and serviced. The space plane might require serious maintenance between flights, but paying passangers I would think would like having a confortable chair, possible in-flight services (the flight need not be straight up, nor quickest route...even if it is, it might still take several hours to reach one of the stations from whatever airport these things take off from.

In a way, it would be like the early days of long distance passanger air travel. Though we will see if it is more the style of a DC3, a China Clipper or a Zepplin in comfort.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 18:51   Link #1434
AnimeFan188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Scientists build largest ever computerized brain:

"Canadian scientists have built a functioning computer simulation of the human
brain, dubbed Spaun, that's able to recognize characters and perform simple actions.

The team at the University of Waterloo's Centre for Theoretical Neuroscience built
the brain from 2.5 million computer-simulated neurons, compared to the average
human, who has 80-100 billion.

The simulated neurons are modeled to behave as closely to human neurons as
possible, and can be set up with specific algorithms to mimic different sections of the
human brain."

See:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12...r_model_brain/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 19:12   Link #1435
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Scientists build largest ever computerized brain:

"Canadian scientists have built a functioning computer simulation of the human
brain, dubbed Spaun, that's able to recognize characters and perform simple actions.

The team at the University of Waterloo's Centre for Theoretical Neuroscience built
the brain from 2.5 million computer-simulated neurons, compared to the average
human, who has 80-100 billion.

The simulated neurons are modeled to behave as closely to human neurons as
possible, and can be set up with specific algorithms to mimic different sections of the
human brain."

See:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12...r_model_brain/
Guys, it's Skynet's prototype....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 23:14   Link #1436
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
I am under the assumption that your question is "How different is to use a one stage reusable vehicle vs. traditional rockets to get people into LEO hotels?". If that is the case, it would be cheaper (nothing more, nothing less). Think for a moment that some company designed cheap planes that could cross the atlantic but could only be used once, if such endeavor could compete with commercial reusable planes we would have seen them by now, don't you think?
It wasn't, but thats not too important anyway. There is a reason why powerful rockets use a multi stage design. The mutli stage design allows for getting rid of useless deadweight during the flight (getting rid of burned out stages). Its meant to maximize the effective payload.

The single stage design proposed here would use aerodynamic lift instead of raw rocket thrust to gain the first 14-20km of height. And there is also the benefit of using the air's oxygen for as long as possible. This gives that particular one stage design an advantage in the early phase of the flight. This advantage is more significant when flying to a lower orbit.

Flying to higher altitudes makes this advantage shrink, because the atmoshpere is fixed in height unlike the altitude of the orbit. This is also the reason why the one-way transatlantic plane is at best a misleading comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well it the space plane design is modelled at least partly along airline models it means a relatively confortable trip for tourists and business types that might want to stay at one of Bigelow's stations for a few days. The plane would likely return to Earth, get fueled up and ready for the next set of passangers to that or one of the other stations.

Unlike the Space Shuttle, there would be no disposable parts and no external rockets that need to be recovered and serviced. The space plane might require serious maintenance between flights, but paying passangers I would think would like having a confortable chair, possible in-flight services (the flight need not be straight up, nor quickest route...even if it is, it might still take several hours to reach one of the stations from whatever airport these things take off from.

In a way, it would be like the early days of long distance passanger air travel. Though we will see if it is more the style of a DC3, a China Clipper or a Zepplin in comfort.
But you already realized it, most of these benefits come from the airframe that is modeled closer to a plane. It could still be multistage (btw. multi stage does not imply that the stages cannot be reused) or use a different means of propulsion (e.g. scramjets). This article was mainly about the engines, and my response was focused on that.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 03:55   Link #1437
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Guys, it's Skynet's prototype....
... or an anime cat girl android.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 05:23   Link #1438
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
The U.S. Dept. of Energy wants 5X battery power boost in 5 years

Quote:
Computerworld - The U.S. Dept. of Energy has set a goal to develop battery and energy storage technologies that are five times more powerful and five times cheaper than today's within five years.

To accomplish this, U.S. Energy Secretary Stephen Chu is taking some lesson from U.S. history.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ost_in_5_years
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 19:00   Link #1439
AnimeFan188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Microsoft Can Convert Your Voice Into Another Language:

"It's unlikely that you speak Mandarin, but that doesn't mean you won't need to at
some point. Now, Microsoft has created software that can analyze your speech,
translate it and then spit out a new recording of your very own voice speaking in a
different language."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/5959111/microsoft...ce-recognition
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 19:25   Link #1440
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
That's freaking awesome. But how accurate is it? In terms of both translation and tone.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.