AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-11-30, 22:00   Link #41
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Last time I checked, most people aren't tied down and given a forced haircut. I can't say I know how women think, but as a person, I'd feel pretty bad if I cut my hair for a new look and was instantly criticized for it. It's personal preference, and I for one like the shorter hair overall. There's no way you can say "the girl seldom ever looks good after she cuts it", that's actually somewhat insulting.
Whoa whoa, don't take it so personally! I was talking about anime characters only. How did real life come into this?

And it is true: "the anime girl seldom ever looks good after she cuts her long hair". That's why so many fans flip out when it happens; she looks like crap afterwards. >_>

Quote:
However, I semi-disagree when you say "long hair is a symbol of youth". When you're younger you have the freedom and want to try new things, whilst once you're a member of the working society and especially after you're married, there's somewhat less of an adventurous nature and more of a systematic outlook.
I'm telling you, if you compare the ratio of women over 30 with long hair to the ones with shorter hair, the short hair number is far greater.

Quote:
I tend to be biased towards whatever the character's initial look was. I guess it's a case of where if I already like a character, their overall initial look becomes associated with that fondness.
This.
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 22:04   Link #42
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Whoa whoa, don't take it so personally! I was talking about anime characters only. How did real life come into this?

And it is true: "the anime girl seldom ever looks good after she cuts her long hair". That's why so many fans flip out when it happens; she looks like crap afterwards. >_>
Sorry sorry, I didn't mean it to come across that way. But if a series has some sort of semblance to real life, I personally find more depth to view contrasts between the two.

I still think it's unfair stating that as a fact though. I could say "Naruto fans are all dribbling idiots who think all anime is shonen", but in actuality it's just personal preference. See, the fact will be that these statement won't be fact, but opinion.

Ergo, it's fine if you don't think it looks good, but please don't assume everyone else in the world thinks the same way too. That's all I'm saying.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 22:07   Link #43
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post

I still think it's unfair stating that as a fact though. I could say "Naruto fans are all dribbling idiots who think all anime is shonen", but in actuality it's just personal preference. See, the fact will be that these statement won't be fact, but opinion.

Ergo, it's fine if you don't think it looks good, but please don't assume everyone else in the world thinks the same way too. That's all I'm saying.
........I don't. o_o It is my opinion. But you asked why people are so against short hair in anime so I provided you with an answer that I feel would speak similarly for the others who don't like it as well.

Quote:
But if a series has some sort of semblance to real life, I personally find more depth to view contrasts between the two.
I see what you're saying but when it comes to just appearances, I feel they are just too different. Anime girls always have tiny noses and big eyes and youthful looks (generally) Real women all look unique to each other; really different faces with different eye sizes, nose sizes etc. so, a hair style that works for one girl will not always work for another.
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 22:11   Link #44
FlavoryFantasy
┬──┬╯︵ /(.□. \)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: At one of the greatest libraries in existence
Age: 20
I really don't mind most hair styles / colors, as long as the character is fairly appealing to go with it...

Though personally I do like seeing shoulder length, or hime cuts. (for female characters)
I don't really care too much for male characters and their colors/styles...

Color-wise I'm honestly fairly biased to liking purple or silvered colored hair more than others. But I don't really have anything against other colors.

Strangely I can't think of any characters styles or colors I do like atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The kind that has a mind of its own:

Well Mutta does have nice hair, on top of being an awesome guy.
__________________
Ava/Sig - TheEroKing
FlavoryFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 22:19   Link #45
Violet Rabbit
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
The heck? There's nothing "rude" about it.
Yes, I do have to yell because that's how much I hate it.
"It's awful." sounds like I don't really care that much. "It's AWFUL!" puts emphasis on the word "awful" thus expresses my contempt for it. People yell when they are angry and haircuts make me angry.
Sorry, sorry, I just thought the word awful can give enough emphasis to what you were trying to say, it's already a much more extreme version of "bad" and yelling can still be quite disruptive and rude, and I already don't like the extreme loudness of the music my sister is playing, sometimes it can make simple capital letters give me a headache for no reason.

Agree with Papermario, and for the life of me the last 2 posts because I can actually remember them and I'm tired.
Violet Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 22:21   Link #46
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
........I don't. o_o It is my opinion. But you asked why people are so against short hair in anime so I provided you with an answer that I feel would speak similarly for the others who don't like it as well.
It just seemed like you were speaking with different intentions since you used "fact" and "we" in your sentences. I apologize if that wasn't your intention.

I'm still curious as to if you can accurately speak for a fandom like that though, especially on a topic like this. Do that many people really hate it because it "looks bad", or could it be because they don't like the situation in which it happened? Maybe it's like Triple_R stated- it's not that it's bad after, it's that we're accustomed to an original look.

I just don't think I'm crazy to like that newer look whilst everyone else hates it. It's always been a new dimension to a character for me and I love that. I seldom see it as worse or even bad for that matter. What I'd dislike about this is a completely pointless cut, like with Karen from Nisemonogatari (though that was more of a "tear"). It had no point and brought nothing to the character; it was just more like "everyone else is changing hairstyles, so throw it in".

Quote:
I see what you're saying but when it comes to just appearances, I feel they are just too different. Anime girls always have tiny noses and big eyes and youthful looks (generally) Real women all look unique to each other; really different faces with different eye sizes, nose sizes etc. so, a hair style that works for one girl will not always work for another.
Ahahaha, had to add this because I liked it. Please don't feel you have to compare that much of it; sometimes I wonder how some anime characters even breathe nasally from the front view. They can probably see through time with eyes that big. I'm just talking about scenarios. A real life school can have a wacky character. It can have the quiet type. It witnesses fights, love and growth. That's why I like making comparisons between reality and fiction.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 22:28   Link #47
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lost in the Fairy Forest
Images
Braids are all ways cute
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
Or Buns
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
But long Sliver is the best
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-12-01 at 02:04. Reason: Please use the images tag instead of the spoiler tag for large images.
Master_Yoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 22:28   Link #48
Violet Rabbit
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
I just don't think I'm crazy to like that newer look whilst everyone else hates it. It's always been a new dimension to a character for me and I love that. I seldom see it as worse or even bad for that matter. What I'd dislike about this is a completely pointless cut, like with Karen from Nisemonogatari (though that was more of a "tear"). It had no point and brought nothing to the character; it was just more like "everyone else is changing hairstyles, so throw it in".
Oh yeah, and about that, the one I like the most would strangely be Sig from Upotte!!, and it wasn't even her intention to do so, which makes me feel bad about myself. (a little)
Violet Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 22:33   Link #49
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On the corner
Age: 24
With regard to short hair, I tend to like all kinds of tomboyish looks. Ritsu with her bangs down is a perfect example of cute but tomboyish look. All that messiness is just so sexy. I might be a reverse trap fan
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

More I think about it, I migh actually prefer short hair. Rikka Takanashi from Chuunibyou has the best from both worlds: short, messy hair AND a sidetail.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 22:43   Link #50
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Maybe it's like Triple_R stated- it's not that it's bad after, it's that we're accustomed to an original look.
It's probably that. If you first showed a character to me after she cut her hair so I didn't know how it looked long, I probably wouldn't think anything of it.


Quote:
sometimes I wonder how some anime characters even breathe nasally from the front view. They can probably see through time with eyes that big.
*snort* I would give anything to see the size of the contacts they wear....they probably look like transparent BOWLS.
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 03:34   Link #51
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Short hair, by far, is my most favorite anime hair for the girls (and to an extent, irl as well). This made me remember a friend who disagrees with me when I said Princess Garnet became 1000x cuter after her haircut. I generally like everything else, but nothing makes me feel the same way like this haircut do.

Images
the obligatory "most favorite" pics
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
erneiz_hyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 07:28   Link #52
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
A girl's hair is her treasure.
Conjures up images of a "chastity helmet."
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 11:22   Link #53
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Conjures up images of a "chastity helmet."
Hey, don't blame me. That quote was part of an episode title in Ranma 1/2.
But I do agree with it. It's easily our best feature and what sets us apart from the guys.
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 12:47   Link #54
Echoes
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In line to confess his sins.
Age: 26
Favorite hair, huh. That's such a hard question to answer, there's too many great choices out there. It's one of the defining features of the anime aesthetic, from the gravity-defining male spikes to the baroque intricacies of a long-haired female beauty. I love it all.

The short hair can be great depending on the character. Makoto from Idolmaster is a nice example of a girl who looks fantastic sporting that short hair, and no less feminine in my eyes. Someone like Kanon from Umi Monogatari, while having slightly longer hair, is another great example of a stunningly beautiful short-haired character.

Long hair is great because there's so much you can do with it, visually speaking. Unrestrained by practicality, or even the laws of physics, anime often feels free to focus entirely on how pretty or cool something looks. Which is fine by me. I especially like the addition of bows and ribbons, both large and small. Flowers are nice too. That's one sure-fire way to glue my eyes to the screen. Very adorable.

While I can't really pick a favorite per se, I really do adore the simple ponytail. It works for just about any character, and it's an easy way to charm me. I mean, even the name is cute.
__________________

Last edited by Echoes; 2012-12-01 at 19:45.
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 15:05   Link #55
Darthtabby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
I'm partial to long, straight, relatively naturally coloured hair in various styles. There are some very cute anime girls with short hair as well though. It really depends a lot on whether the hair fits the character and the show they're from. Mai Tokiha and Sheryl Nome are my favorite anime girls and neither of them has long, straight, naturally coloured hair. :lol:

All that being said, I do have to give special mention to the character of Sun Yun Mei (AKA "Yun Yun") from Canaan and her unusual hair style.

Spoiler for Images:
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 15:19   Link #56
Witheirate
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wichita
Twin tail looks cute...

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
Witheirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 20:09   Link #57
Echoes
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In line to confess his sins.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal000 View Post
My sister and I have tried to figure out just how that ponytail works. I could say that a part of the hair is twisted around another one, but I'm not really sure. Anyways, I really like it...
Heh, I'm not entirely sure there either. But Kiddy Grade does have some great visuals, both Lumiere and Eclair have wonderful hair! Keeping the chain going, you reminded me of the the follow-up series:

Spoiler for Kiddy Girl -And:

They keep the tradition of cool hair-styles, I think. I don't even know what those heart-shaped things are, but I love them. Might be an example of over the top cuteness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
All that being said, I do have to give special mention to the character of Sun Yun Mei (AKA "Yun Yun") from Canaan and her unusual hair style.
She's great! You could lift her by those things for sure. There's a character with a similar hairdo in Koihme Musou named Sonshoukou. Except hers is a lot bigger, and she's a whole lot smaller. She even has bows in hers. Perfect.

Spoiler for Sonshoukou:
__________________
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 20:39   Link #58
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Erza and Nishino in my signature.
__________________
vansonbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 21:07   Link #59
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I'm partial to long, straight, relatively naturally coloured hair in various styles. There are some very cute anime girls with short hair as well though. It really depends a lot on whether the hair fits the character and the show they're from. Mai Tokiha and Sheryl Nome are my favorite anime girls and neither of them has long, straight, naturally coloured hair. :lol:

All that being said, I do have to give special mention to the character of Sun Yun Mei (AKA "Yun Yun") from Canaan and her unusual hair style.

Spoiler for Images:
AH but you see, credit must be given when credit is due.
Mano Youko is the girl who originally had this style. Granted, she took it a step further and braided the loops. I'm not sure if this is even possible to do in real life!

Spoiler for Images:


........ah the 90s~
__________________

Last edited by Chiibi; 2012-12-01 at 21:20.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 01:04   Link #60
fanty
STARVING ARTIST
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 永遠の冬の国
Age: 23
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is even possible to do in real life!
Oh, it's definitely possible to do in real life, I wore that hairstyle a lot as a little girl. The only problem is: real hair gets affected by gravity, so the loops hang down.
__________________
fanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.