AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 30 44.12%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 26.47%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 20.59%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 7.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-01, 12:54   Link #61
pinoscotto
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I never said the artwork is any worse. It is how it was used here: instead of using expressions and emotional impact to its fullest, we have messy way to portray characters all around.
And the animation itself is nowhere close to Casshern: the execution and presentation is very close due to Yamauchi's shenanigan style, but the animation itself is so different like day and night, as the former has not the latter's budget.
animation was weaker than ep 1-3, but was better than ep 4-9.
if we are talking about animation the episode was very good, a lot better than average
pinoscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 13:15   Link #62
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: At your house fixing A/C
So did Shun die?

Last edited by kk2extreme; 2012-12-01 at 13:37.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 13:20   Link #63
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
The lines are there! Shun had said what is deep in his heart.. even before he died!!!! HE ALWAYS HAVE CARED FOR SAKI... He didn't need to french kiss, nor flirt like Satoru and Maria did to show love... Even words aren't necessary so that the feelings couldn't be understood....

Shun and Saki.. really, really, really, really love each other...!



Is this not enough?

There you go people all the proof you need.

They really did love each other and never got a chance to address their feelings.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Now I understand that Shun was a very private person, but that did not stop him from opening up a lot more to Satoru, then Saki.
Alright now it seems like you're trolling trying way too hard to down play how these two felt about each other so you can just so you can get a reaction out of people.

Sure they weren't star crossed lover but they did indeed love each other. Just because we didn't see them all over one another doesn't mean nothing was there and hinted at for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
So did Shun died?
Yes he is
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 14:45   Link #64
Grey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
I wish the show wouldn't swap styles like this. I can't help but find it distracting. It'd be like trying to read Blade of the Immortal except every other chapter is randomly drawn like it's Akagi, FMA, Bleach, and Biomega.

Well, it's not that bad. But still.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 15:20   Link #65
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I strongly disagree with this "Saki was only in love with an "idealized" Shun. So her feelings for the real Shun was just a crush" argument.
To each his own. Saki's love for Shun was more of a crush than "love" as I see from my vantage point. I never said it was "just a crush" but I do say that she didn't understand him well enough and that what she was in love with was an idealized version of Shun. That doesn't change the fact that she was in love with Shun, but it does mean that the question of just how close to her idealized version the real Shun was is up for discussion. Apparently, if the following is any indication, for you, it was very close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
You know, for the longest time, people were suspecting Shun of having some great inner evil in him. Of being untrustworthy. Of manipulating his friends rather than being honest and sincere with them.
I did find him untrustworthy. I don't think I found him evil per se but he was hiding information from his friends. It is irrelevant whether he was doing it for their own good or not because the reason the adults in that society hide information from their kids is also for "their good".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In my view, this episode completely and utterly blows those ideas out of the water. The poor guy calmly went to his death because he didn't want to hurt his loved ones anymore. Some great inner evil...
Here you completely ignore his own words. He says himself that his subconscious is responsible for all the "horrible" things that he didn't ever consciously wish for. And his death was anything but calm. His "great inner evil" destroyed his entire village before he could bring himself to end his life. I don't think Shun was an "evil" character but he himself held the view that his subconscious was troubled and that the acts that resulted were horrific to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So on what basis do people say that Saki only loved an idealized Shun? Because she didn't know all his inner turmoil?

But that inner turmoil doesn't change the sincerity of his love for Saki. It doesn't change his core personality. It just makes him a much sadder and more tragic figure. If anything, Saki learning more about the extent of Shun's inner turmoil in this episode merely made her love him even more.
You see, I can't speak for others but when I say Saki was in love with an idealized Shun, I didn't say she didn't love the real him at all. Ideals can't exist without a real basis. Shun was a smart, mystifying character. It's very understandable why an young girl would have a crush on him and it's also undeniable that over the course of the show, Saki fell in love with him further and further. However, that doesn't change the fact that she didn't know him all that well and that her "love" stayed a crush because she never acted upon it until it was too late. What you had this episode was a tragic story of two people who had a long-standing mutual crush but were unable to bring anything out of it because of hesitation or what have you until it was too late. I don't blame them, mind you, their society is built that way and even in our society, this situation is all too common anyway.

As for the sincerity of Shun's love for Saki, I don't think I ever questioned that. I would even give him the benefit of the doubt and say that his love for Saki was closer to actual love than Saki's for him which was more of a crush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Did Saki turn away when she saw what Shun had turned into? Did her love for him fade upon seeing the depths of his descent into becoming a Karma Demon?

No, not at all. In fact, it made her want even more to not leave his side!


I'm amazed at how many people can miss such strong, powerful, true love here.
I think what's happening here is that your standards for what you consider strong, powerful, true love are lower than what I consider to be as such. I judge a relationship that's claimed to be true love very harshly. I don't dare say that their love was "just a crush" but I dare not claim that it was anything like true love either. True love can't exist until two characters have spent a significant amount of time in a meaningful relationship. Even a couple who are hopelessly enamored with each other find a great many obstacles when time calls for them to bring their love to fruit. Until and unless a relationship has withstood the test of time and until the two in love have become more or less so well acquainted with each other that they truly understand what it's like to be the other person and still find themselves willing to keep them as their significant other, calling that relationship true love is being naive at best and insulting the pristine shrine of true love itself at worst. Saki and Shun were mere children who couldn't even profess their love. That doesn't mean I should belittle their feelings for each other, I do think they were genuine, but to claim that their love was true and powerful is beyond me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Saki had just finished barely surviving an encountering with one of those PK-killing cats when she met up with Shun. You'd think the girl would be in a panic to stay alive! But even after that PK-killing cat encounter, all she can think about is finding Shun, saving Shun, and learning more about Shun.
Have you ever done something crazy like sneaking out to dangerous places without supervision? The blood rush is so strong that you stop caring about consequences. The thought process becomes very linear and you become obsessed with seeing whatever it was that you initially embarked on the dangerous trip for through. Panic has interesting side effects you know. Panic doesn't necessarily freeze people. It can also put them on a frenzy. I don't wish to belittle what Saki went through to reach out to Shun but it was too little too late for one and for another, her sneaking out to find Shun when clearly forbidden from doing so was already enough to display the strength of her feelings for Shun. That encounter with the cat was at best icing on the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Some questions to consider:

1) Who did Shun give the necklace charm too? Satoru, or Saki?

2) Who was the first to give up on trying to find Shun? Satoru, or Saki?

3) When Saki and Satoru were going through the Queerat War Adventure together, did Saki ever think of Shun? If so, what was her reaction to thinking about him?

4) In contrast to Question 3, did Satoru come up at all in this episode? Did either Saki or Shun stop for a second to think about their mutual friends?
1) is irrelevant. But its easy to find potential reasons (or "excuses" if you will) if need be. He may have thought that Satoru is strong enough to not need the charm for one. It is implied that Satoru is stronger than Saki and that Shun had a limited number of such charms (perhaps even just that one). Another possible reason could easily be that he made the charm after he was forbidden from attending school and he ran into Saki but not Satoru. Regardless, Satoru is entirely irrelevant to Saki's relationship with Shun anyway.

2) begs the question of whether or not Satoru suggested to take a break thanks to nightfall because he was concerned about Saki. I was under that impression but make of it what you will. It's not as though Saki didn't agree either. I can't say for certain because it didn't happen but I would like to believe that Satoru would sneak out to reach out to Shun as well had he been told what Maria told Saki after they decided to discontinue their search for Shun for the day.

3) was shown in the anime. She thought of him twice. It was evident that she had a crush on Shun, but neither of those scenes present anything to suggest that she truly understood Shun. If anything, her mental image of Shun was clearly an idealized version during that adventure.

4) is grasping for straws. The entirety of interaction between Shun and Saki was 10 minute long. Saki was clearly in a daze. Shun was very stressed and distracted as well. Why on earth would they start talking about Satoru? Shun wouldn't have mentioned Subaru had Subaru not come there himself either. Shun wouldn't have bid Saki farewell had Saki not reached out to him either. I think you are being very critical of their characters if you wish to imply that they don't care for their friends based of a stressful 10 min long conversation. Saki obviously bid Maria and Satoru farewell just prior to coming to Shun and Shun had told Saki to tell the whole group to beware. They both obviously cared for their friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
You know, if I was in Shun's position, I'd probably want to send a farewell message to all my closest friends. The fact Shun never bothered to ask Saki to pass such a message on to Satoru, Maria, or Mamoru is telling, in my view. Especially since he went to great lengths to have a "10 minute" conversation with Saki (one that required him to have steely concentration when it comes to those orbs that were flying around).
As I just got done saying, Shun wouldn't have bid Saki farewell either had she not come up to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I mean, short of becoming a "Romance as Primary Genre" story, what more can this narrative possibly do to show that Shun loves Saki more than he did any of his other peers? What more can this narrative possibly do to show that Saki loves Shun more than she did any of her other peers?

The implications are so breathtakingly clear, in my view.
I don't think I ever questioned that they were more interested in each other than the rest of their peers at least until this point. But that they were romantically interested in each other doesn't mean their love is true. They had a mutual crush but one that met a tragic end and both of them held out too long on acting on their feelings.

Also, I think that the anime glossed over a lot of detail. For instance, their relationships with Satoru was sidelined a tad bit too much. I was even under the impression that Saki found Satoru annoying early on, which was apparently completely wrong because they were apparently very good friends. I don't know if I want to trust the narrative of this anime when it comes to people's relationships, really.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
But, in fairness, I will say this - There's a couple key pieces of information that the anime doesn't state explicitly that leaves things murkier than what they should be. Once you know them, a lot of things become much clearer, imo. If anybody wants to know what I'm talking about here, please PM me.

It doesn't spoil any future event, by the way.
Do pm me but I highly doubt anything at all can convince me to take this mutual crush of Shun and Saki to be true love. What I disagree with you is on that point alone, and that's basically semantics, and not with the rest of the hijinks although it does seem that I hold the opinion that Satoru cared for Shun and vice versa as well while you may or not hold it. Your position there is rather unclear, and in any case irrelevant to this particular discussion.
__________________
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 15:49   Link #66
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Here you completely ignore his own words. He says himself that his subconscious is responsible for all the "horrible" things that he didn't ever consciously wish for. And his death was anything but calm. His "great inner evil" destroyed his entire village before he could bring himself to end his life. I don't think Shun was an "evil" character but he himself held the view that his subconscious was troubled and that the acts that resulted were horrific to say the least.
It's called subconscious for a reason. It's not something you have control over, or are even aware of. Shun saw all this shit happening around him due to his power spiraling out of control and came up with this conclusion, this theory (informed, thanks to that book, but still just a theory) of what's happening with him. But he doesn't really know. All he knows is that he never wished for all that crap to happen, he never willed his power to do any of this. It just happened, and that's what makes it so tragic. In the end, he was just an unlucky guy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Do pm me but I highly doubt anything at all can convince me to take this mutual crush of Shun and Saki to be true love.
What is true love anyway? I'm pretty sure everyone has their own personal take on this so it's a pretty irrelevant point in general. The fact is that Saki and Shun loved a each other, since they said as much (well, in the case of Saki it's her internal monologue that the anime skipped over, but her actions speak for themselves). That's all you need to know to understand why this is such a blow for Saki, and for anyone who can empathize with her. That's all there is to it now, since Shun is out of the game.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-12-01 at 20:27.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 16:43   Link #67
Tiberium Wolf
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal
Age: 34
I don't have anything against Casshern Sins art style. I actually like it. But I can't agree that in this ep it completely changed the art. The art feeling of this art is totally different from the other eps. This reminds me of others shows where they take 1 ep and do experiments. It's so wrong.
__________________
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 16:49   Link #68
Korps!
Ikarechimattaze!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
So did Shun die?
If you're not sure about it then the people in charge of the adaptation failed.
Korps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 19:57   Link #69
Triple_R
"...Why?!", Sailor Faerie
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
To each his own. Saki's love for Shun was more of a crush than "love" as I see from my vantage point. I never said it was "just a crush" but I do say that she didn't understand him well enough and that what she was in love with was an idealized version of Shun. That doesn't change the fact that she was in love with Shun, but it does mean that the question of just how close to her idealized version the real Shun was is up for discussion. Apparently, if the following is any indication, for you, it was very close.
What evidence is there that this supposedly "idealized" version of Shun is so different from the real person?

Yes, Shun was relatively introverted (not as much as Mamoru, but certainly more than Saki, Satoru, and Maria). And there are things he clearly preferred to keep to himself. But his words rarely struck me as insincere.

Simply put, I think that Saki has a better handle on who Shun really is than you think she does. As such, I don't think she's just loving an idealized notion of Shun. She's loving the real person.

Let me use an analogy here - It didn't take Lois Lane long to fall in love with Superman. There's plenty about Superman that Lois Lane didn't know for quite some time. But would you say she only loved an idealized conception of Superman? Well, given how close the real Superman is to that idealized conception anyway, I'm not sure if it really matters at all.

That's similar to how I view Saki's love for Shun.


Quote:
I did find him untrustworthy. I don't think I found him evil per se but he was hiding information from his friends. It is irrelevant whether he was doing it for their own good or not because the reason the adults in that society hide information from their kids is also for "their good".
I disagree. I think it's very relevant. It's like the difference between a parent who hides troubling family secrets from their children vs. a person who keeps secrets from his/her friends just so they can't enjoy the same benefits that this secret-keeping person does. Some secrets are based on altruism, while others are based on selfishness. I see relevant difference between the two.


Quote:
Here you completely ignore his own words.
No, I'm not ignoring his words at all. Kazu-kun's reply reflects my own view here.

And how can you possibly write that his death was anything but calm? Shun maintained his composure right to the bitter end. His voice was consistently calm and very rarely raised. He went about as calmly to his death as I can imagine any teenager doing.


Quote:
However, that doesn't change the fact that she didn't know him all that well and that her "love" stayed a crush because she never acted upon it until it was too late.
There's a very good, practical reason for why she didn't act on it, which unfortunately the anime never stated explicitly. I'll share that with you in PMs.


Quote:
What you had this episode was a tragic story of two people who had a long-standing mutual crush but were unable to bring anything out of it because of hesitation or what have you until it was too late.
No, I think that you're massively downplaying it here. Shun and Saki have a story on the level of Romeo and Juliet, imo.


Quote:
True love can't exist until two characters have spent a significant amount of time in a meaningful relationship.
I think your stance does a grave disservice to couples that simply never had a chance to put their love to the test of time.

I mean, would you say that Romeo and Juliet never felt true love for each other because their love was never put to the test of time?

My view is once a person is really, truly willing to die for the sake of another, that's true love. Saki repeatedly put her life in grave peril to try to rescue Shun.

I mean, really think about your position here, and what it would mean for an awful lot of anime characters. I mean...

Spoiler for Major Madoka Magica spoilers:



I agree with the idea that the test of time is a great way to test the strength of two people's love for one another (and if their love fails that test for any reason other than death or literally forced separation, then yeah, that reflects poorly on their "love"). However, for obvious reasons I don't think it's a fair test to apply when one half of the couple dies at a young age. Then it's important to try to judge if any of the actions that the characters took for each other can "make up for" the lack of the test of time. And with Saki and Shun, I think there are clear instances that can make up for this lack of the test of time.


Quote:
Have you ever done something crazy like sneaking out to dangerous places without supervision?
Saki doesn't strike me as a person who does crazy things for the sheer thrill of it. So I think that the argument you made after this question is really stretching things when it comes to her.

I think it makes a lot more sense to chalk up Saki's actions in this episode, and the last, to her having a deep, true love for Shun.

As for my questions, I raised them for comparison purposes (Saki/Shun vs. Saki/Satoru vs. Shun/Satoru). My argument is that Saki and Shun love each other more than either one loves Shun (and more than Satoru loves Saki or Shun).

However, if you're not interested in that particular comparison, we can skip it.


Quote:
Do pm me but I highly doubt anything at all can convince me to take this mutual crush of Shun and Saki to be true love.
Will all due respect, you sure use that word "crush" an awful lot, for someone who says he doesn't want to dare say that Shun and Saki's love for each other is just a crush.

It seems to me that you're daring to say exactly that quite a bit...


Quote:
What I disagree with you is on that point alone, and that's basically semantics, and not with the rest of the hijinks although it does seem that I hold the opinion that Satoru cared for Shun and vice versa as well while you may or not hold it. Your position there is rather unclear, and in any case irrelevant to this particular discussion.
I think that Satoru cared for Shun and vice versa. In fact, I think that Satoru loved Shun sincerely, and romantically. I think that Shun genuinely liked Satoru, but that his feelings for Saki ran deeper than his feelings for Shun (much like how Saki's feelings for Shun ran deeper than Saki's feelings for Maria).

Anyway, I totally disagree with the idea that Shun and Satoru's feelings for each other can be accurately portrayed as "a crush". No, I'm very confident that they felt true love for each other.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 20:50   Link #70
motibilli
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
are you serious?

I don't know why SOME people on this thread are bent on proving that sakixshun pair didn't love each other and shun had no 'special' feelings for saki that she just 'happened' to be there and she just happened to risk her life and was going crazy yelling SHUN SHUN SHUN.

What the heck?? she loved him and HE LOVED HER BACK. He was just pretending with satoru cause he knew they were being targeted and he didn't want to harm saki by himself or through the ethics committee.

You just want to fulfill your yaoi fantasy thats why you keep pressing the satoru issue.

What im angry about is shunxsaki didn't get some sweet alone time. Even if i look back to see IF they shared any happy sweet memories i have NOTHING(except the boat scene). I guess the animators didn't want to dwell on sakixshun relationship seeing how it was going to do down, didn't want to disappoint TOO much but eh really? im still THOROUGHLY sad/disappointed.

What if Shun didn't die?? and saki is all like "nooo i want to die with youuu" and hes like "nooo i cant harm youuuu" and cause of his strong feelings for her he actually finds a way to control his condition?? loll

Now the new guy saki gets paired up(if she does) the romance HAS TO SERIOUSLY BLOW ME AWAY to top this!! it has to be REALLY CONVINCING!! IF it can!

I need to see saki being cared for by some other guy ASAP

Last edited by motibilli; 2012-12-01 at 21:33.
motibilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 22:14   Link #71
Ringil
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
One thing I found really strange was the fact that all the sufferers of H-A wrote down their thoughts in a journal that was collected. It seems strange that all the H-A sufferers could #1 control themselves so they haven't destroyed the journal yet, #2 apparently managed to suicide so that the journal could be safetly retrieved.
Ringil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 23:58   Link #72
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Epic way to die. I'll agree with Triple R and Kazu-kun and say that this episode feels like the high point of the series. I can't say I'm particularly interested in seeing the relationships of the rest of the series knowing that they'll end up in pairings of Maria x Mamoru and Saki x Satoru. I'll keep watching to give the story a chance to surprise me, but with fairly low expectations.

On the Saki x Shun issue I'll say that I agree that Shun seemed way too careful/controlled or introverted for Saki to have known any real part of him. On the other hand, I particularly question those who say that Shun's relationship with Satoru was more meaningful because there's nothing to say that Shun's interactions with him were any less measured or artificial. The one thing that's clear is that Shun has always loved/longed for Saki, which is a bit more than you could say for Satoru.

Anyway, one thing you have to ask about the "Hashimoto Appelbaum syndrome" is if it affects gifted/talented children in particular. Alternatively if it affects isolated/solitary children, which might as well be a correlated factor in describing them. If the point is that the syndrome arises from the subconscious running out of control, I'd say the greater issue is that the destructive/dangerous consequences of it reflect the subject's underlying resentment at society.

That is why, when they say "there is no treatment", I kind of think both "well duh" and "that's not quite accurate". If the problem is the subconscious running out of control, then the problem might be that the conscious portion of the subject has spent so long repressing destructive feelings and interacting in a safe/acceptable/positive way with society, that it has become dissociated from their subconscious which is fundamentally dissatisfied with reality. The cure would thus be correcting their dysfunctional reality. However, of course something like that is not particularly realistic or concretely possible.

The reason I like Shun is because he was brilliant therefore different from others therefore repressed himself/presented a careful, crafted facade to others. As a result of that facade, he inevitably became a karma demon. Shun had no choice but to reign in his true impulses to show a socially approvable/accepted personality in order to fit in with society, but his destructive end and death as a monster represented the outpouring of his true (subconscious) feelings.

I find it appropriate that the boy who was "too brilliant" for their imperfect reality both died as a consequence of his own attempts to fit into it, and took a chunk out of it while he was at it. Of course the world is imperfect, but also of course sometimes it's good to be reminded of it. This episode was cathartic almost in the way of a classical tragedy.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 28/5 :: Locodol 50/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Sabagebu 28/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
Fall: Sora no Method 21/5 :: Karen Senki 6/5 :: Cross Ange 1/5 :: Shirobako 22/5 :: Yuuki Yuuna 23/5 :: Mushishi S2 100/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Sonohana twitter follow campaign: mikajyo_info :: rewards (anime adaptation if they reach 50000!!)
Exceptional shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 00:46   Link #73
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
On the Saki x Shun issue I'll say that I agree that Shun seemed way too careful/controlled or introverted for Saki to have known any real part of him.
I have to disagree on this. Saki knew the real Shun, or at least a part of him. She knew he was a really kindhearted guy and he cared a lot about his friends and was always looking out for them. Even breaking up with Satoru the way he did was in part to protect him, for instance. What he kept to himself was his dissatisfaction with their society, and he had no choice in that respect: he was too smart not to realize the world around him was shit but he had to keep those thoughts under wraps not only to fit in, but also to protect his friends. Still, for all his secrets, he was never truly untrustworthy, and his kindness and concern for his loved ones weren't a lie. And that's why Saki felt in love with him in the first place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
his true (subconscious) feelings.
The unconscious mind isn't your true self. The mind is more complex than that.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-12-02 at 01:06.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 01:58   Link #74
CJ_Walker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, California
Age: 30
I shall call this thread the "BEEAATIING A DEAAD HOORSE!" thread

Saki didn't love shun, you know why? no sex. that's right, saki didnt open her legs for shun on that starry night on the boat, she didnt get it on bonobo style with shun, like she was about to with satoru.

so there you go,

no sex = no love
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a somewhat more serious note... come on really? even I realized that saki and shun loved each other, does the phrase "I have always loved you" not mean the same thing in English or something? Hell, Saki was going through "all the stupid things that get you+ your friends+family killed in horror movies" checklist just to see shun again and that's not love? yeah I dont think you guys should continue arguing this anymore, as its not going anywhere.

SOOoooo.....

Let's talk about Saki.

I really really really really hate her. Why is she the main character, (shun should have been the main character but hes dead so fuck it) I really cant stand her, she's whiney, cockblocks mamoru AND teases him about it at the same time (wtf kind of bitch does that) basically tells her parents to fuck off, anyone else hate her the same way I do? Or Am I unjustified in my hate for that character (oh and that MC plot armor*coughshunsnecklace*cough) was some gay(not that theres anything wrong with that) attempt at using "symbolism" to cover up the mc plot induced stupidity armor that pervades around saki...

Also, the adults, I'd like to see more of the adults in the story, more of their point of view of things, now it just seems like "adults bad and cruel, kids good and pure" kind of thing going on. but I guess that's just part of the whole mystery feel to it....

I really wish the episodes were on par with the first 4... this last episode was good, but not omgwtf awesome, mostly for the fact that I didn't really care for the whole shunxsaki thing anyway possibly because saki has been portrayed as such an annoying bitch that while I can feel for shun who I think is awesome, I don't really care about saki...at all, she should have taken the initiative waaay before shun turned into a karma demon, I mean she was with the dude for many years, she should have been like "hey I just met you, and this is crazy, so here's my number, so call me maybe" and maybe shun wouldnt have turned to the dark side (love conquers all amirite Eureka 7?)

ok, good new ammo to discuss. GO.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 02:37   Link #75
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
@CJ_Walker: Shun wouldn't look half that "cool" if Saki was not the narrator
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 03:19   Link #76
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
Spoiler for well not really a spoiler but just to be safe until it gets subbed/safe for those who have already watched the raw:


7/10 for me because. . .saki, I cant stand that ho. and what kashikari said. . .hit the nail right on the head.
Ah, I meant that Kazu's decline of interest was unexpected, not the story development itself.

Wonderful episode. And even though Saki has always been my 31st century waifu, I thought she looked especially and stunningly beautiful this episode.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 04:03   Link #77
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Flan-chan
Age: 12
Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
So how did Shun kill himself? Still a bit confused about the random earth bits swallowing him up. It is sad because Shun is my favorite character of this series.
__________________
I love Flandre Scarlet

Last edited by Izayoi; 2012-12-02 at 04:20.
Izayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 07:46   Link #78
MartianMage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: outer space
I kinda felt that there was too much focus on Saki's ass this week... no really a lot of camera shifts this time that focuses on her ass...

I'm not the type of person to get bothered by fanservice but it's just the first time I noticed this in this anime...
__________________
Homura: Die monster! You don't belong in this world!
Kyubey: It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.
Homura: Tribute? You steal girls's souls, and make them your slaves!
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 08:10   Link #79
Triple_R
"...Why?!", Sailor Faerie
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
@GenjiChan

I think that CJ Walker was being sarcastic there. I mean, really, that's the only reason I can see for someone thinking that Shun opened up more to Satoru than he did to Saki.

"Shun and Satoru had sex together, so of course Shun opened up more to Satoru than to Saki!"


One thing I forgot to talk about before - The criticisms of the direction in this episode.

My take on it is that this direction style has a strength inversely proportional to the number of characters and scenes in the episode. In other words, the fewer the characters and the fewer the scenes you have, the better this direction style is.

This is largely because it does close-ups in this gnarly way that I find more interesting than more standardized close-ups. However, the larger the cast and/or the more diverse the settings, the more problematic having a lot of close-ups become.

But if your episode is mostly a conversation between just two people, I think this direction style makes that a lot more compelling and visually interesting than what it would otherwise be. I honestly think this episode would look very dull if not for the direction style.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 08:41   Link #80
Pacify
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Aussie
Age: 28
Wow, that was some trippy animation. Can't decide whether i liked it or not.

Wonder why Shun went to his village and exactly how did he end up destroying it.

One can only be impressed in how powerful PK is, what other supernatural power (in anime) can actualy mutate organisms... thats one scary side-effect right there

RIP Shun. Pity you still felt slightly under-developed when you went boom
Pacify is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.