AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 30 44.12%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 26.47%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 20.59%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 7.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-02, 09:23   Link #81
pinoscotto
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacify View Post
Wow, that was some trippy animation. Can't decide whether i liked it or not.

Wonder why Shun went to his village and exactly how did he end up destroying it.

One can only be impressed in how powerful PK is, what other supernatural power (in anime) can actualy mutate organisms... thats one scary side-effect right there

RIP Shun. Pity you still felt slightly under-developed when you went boom
didn't he live here?
pinoscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 11:32   Link #82
deadsea
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
I find this interpretation about the ending, i found it very interesting and successful.
Spoiler for ED Meaning:


Mamoru is weak and shy, but I imagine he will be something like maria's right hand, as his love for her is absolute, is totally devoted to Maria. About Satoru , he was really sadistic at ep 6.
deadsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 12:06   Link #83
Cosmic Eagle
水銀の蛇
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 永劫回帰
That was one of the best damned aesthetically pleasing eps this season. Up there with K's but on the different side of the spectrum.

Such a remniscent image of Casshern Sins (which was about visuals for me since I didn't get drawn into the story much)....the artwork should have always been like this. Let's hope it stays that way.


Although I think the ep may have killed the producers' wallets


And yeah, that was nicely played....heart stabbing indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Er, you do realize that you still have 10+ episodes to get to know the other characters better and grow to care about them, right? o_o) So you've read spoilers, cool I suppose, but unless you read the actual book (have you?) you don't actually know how they'll interact after this, how they'll get into the situations you read about, how they'll react to them, etc. (Also, I'd very much disagree that this was the emotional peak of the whole show...)
Lolwhut....this thing is 2 cour? It's already quite deep into the second volume (I think....haven't actually had the time to finish the latter two books)

Kodansha volumes BTW....Never actually came across the original editions
__________________

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2012-12-02 at 12:49.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 12:23   Link #84
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
I kinda felt that there was too much focus on Saki's ass this week... no really a lot of camera shifts this time that focuses on her ass...
Crotch shots, too. The direction has a subtle "male gaze" approach that emphasizes how tight Saki's pants are with a few lines that hint of what's inside.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

That said, I thought Saki looked especially beautiful in this episode. Maybe it's the long hair, but she did not look cute the way she did in earlier episodes. A foreshadowing, perhaps, of her 26-year-old self?

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Now for some speculation....

I wonder whether Saki has more power than either she or we have been led to believe. While she attributes her ability to fight off the cat to Shun's necklace, I suspect that is not really the true explanation. Wearing the charm made her believe in her own abilities more and enhanced her effectiveness. All along it was suggested that the cats were much more powerful than the humans, but perhaps that's just another of the myths the children have been taught to keep them under control.

I'll just add that I thought this was the best episode so far. The artwork is often stunning despite what you might think about the directorial style. The exteriors were especially impressive like the scene with the aurora over Shun's house. I don't find arguing over who loved whom more especially constructive either. I'm much more interested in the storyline than in shipping the characters. Besides, as someone else said, they're fourteen and just on the threshold of understanding "love." Let's see who ends up with whom when they are all twenty-six.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 13:31   Link #85
Bahamut
...lost in nothingness...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
...saved up these ten episodes...because i knew i would enjoy it more if i were to watch it all in one go...

...but now that i caught up to it...damn i got to wait a week now?
...f*** guy!
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 13:53   Link #86
MartianMage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: outer space
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Crotch shots, too. The direction has a subtle "male gaze" approach that emphasizes how tight Saki's pants are with a few lines that hint of what's inside.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

That said, I thought Saki looked especially beautiful in this episode. Maybe it's the long hair, but she did not look cute the way she did in earlier episodes. A foreshadowing, perhaps, of her 26-year-old self?

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed those shots

And yeah I'd have to say that Saki looked really beautiful this episode. The art style this time presented her in a more mature look with crisp lines on her eyes and lips.
__________________
Homura: Die monster! You don't belong in this world!
Kyubey: It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.
Homura: Tribute? You steal girls's souls, and make them your slaves!
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 16:06   Link #87
Jerseykid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Why did the leadership think cats would be able to kill Shun? He's very powerful, even more so now. Even saki was able to defeat one and shun is well beyond her.

This is tough for me with this anime now. I cared about shun, I care about what's going to happen to saki, but without shun in there my interest in halved, I don't care about the rest of the characters
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 16:17   Link #88
motibilli
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
agree with Jerseykid 100%
motibilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 16:21   Link #89
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed those shots

And yeah I'd have to say that Saki looked really beautiful this episode. The art style this time presented her in a more mature look with crisp lines on her eyes and lips.
Indeed. Shun died a cruel and early death, but there is solace to be found that Saki ensured he could at least die with an erection.
Dr. Casey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 17:01   Link #90
pinoscotto
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
Why did the leadership think cats would be able to kill Shun? He's very powerful, even more so now. Even saki was able to defeat one and shun is well beyond her.

This is tough for me with this anime now. I cared about shun, I care about what's going to happen to saki, but without shun in there my interest in halved, I don't care about the rest of the characters
maybe they know he wanted to die (they gave him those pills that he swallowed), in fact when the cat came he said to saki to let it kill him
pinoscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 00:10   Link #91
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It's called subconscious for a reason. It's not something you have control over, or are even aware of. Shun saw all this shit happening around him due to his power spiraling out of control and came up with this conclusion, this theory (informed, thanks to that book, but still just a theory) of what's happening with him. But he doesn't really know. All he knows is that he never wished for all that crap to happen, he never willed his power to do any of this. It just happened, and that's what makes it so tragic. In the end, he was just an unlucky guy.
I don't disagree with any of this. Hence why I put the "inner evil" thing in quotes. I don't think shun was evil at all, but what happened due to him was horrific. His is a tragic story, I don't think there is any rational way to question that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
What is true love anyway? I'm pretty sure everyone has their own personal take on this so it's a pretty irrelevant point in general. The fact is that Saki and Shun loved a each other, since they said as much (well, in the case of Saki it's her internal monologue that the anime skipped over, but her actions speak for themselves). That's all you need to know to understand why this is such a blow for Saki, and for anyone who can empathize with her. That's all there is to it now, since Shun is out of the game.
Yes, I understand that this is a matter of personal take. Hence why I started my post acknowledging that. To each his own, really. The difference here is in holding the opinion that somehow a never professed love is any different from a crush. The way I see it, until a substantial relationship has been built with mutual admission, any semblance of romantic interest is a crush. Crushes can be wonderful and just because I call it a crush doesn't mean I think lowly of the feelings involved. It simply means what crush is supposed to mean. They were children that were interested in each other. Nothing beyond that happened. It was a crush. I don't subscribe to the opinion that children are incapable of strong feelings but I would rather not call such feelings true love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
What evidence is there that this supposedly "idealized" version of Shun is so different from the real person?

Yes, Shun was relatively introverted (not as much as Mamoru, but certainly more than Saki, Satoru, and Maria). And there are things he clearly preferred to keep to himself. But his words rarely struck me as insincere.

Simply put, I think that Saki has a better handle on who Shun really is than you think she does. As such, I don't think she's just loving an idealized notion of Shun. She's loving the real person.

Let me use an analogy here - It didn't take Lois Lane long to fall in love with Superman. There's plenty about Superman that Lois Lane didn't know for quite some time. But would you say she only loved an idealized conception of Superman? Well, given how close the real Superman is to that idealized conception anyway, I'm not sure if it really matters at all.

That's similar to how I view Saki's love for Shun.
It's not about evidence, it's about the intent. Saki had her own version of Shun she was enamored with. She didn't act on her feelings for the real Shun. She couldn't, and I don't hold it against her at all, but it doesn't change that she was in love with a projection and not the real person. Does that mean she didn't love the real thing at all? Not at all. Projections are based on reality. Was Shun an ideal character? Not exactly, he didn't act on his feelings either, and was far too introverted, but I liked him and I don't think Saki would have hated the real him or anything. All I am saying is that Saki didn't actually spend substantial time with the real Shun. She couldn't for whatever reason. And that's what makes it a crush. An young girl is lovestruck with a somewhat mysterious boy but can't act on her feelings. If that's not a crush I don't know what is.

Btw, it's unrelated but I hold the opinion that Lois' love for Superman is a farce if anything Most comic book relationships are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I disagree. I think it's very relevant. It's like the difference between a parent who hides troubling family secrets from their children vs. a person who keeps secrets from his/her friends just so they can't enjoy the same benefits that this secret-keeping person does. Some secrets are based on altruism, while others are based on selfishness. I see relevant difference between the two.
Fair enough. You say there are relevant differences between hiding information for altruism vs hiding it for an ulterior motive. There indeed are. However, hiding information makes anybody and everybody untrustworthy. I don't care if the government hides secrets from the people for their benefit or not, the fact that they do makes them untrustworthy. Btw, this anime has this grim atmosphere precisely because the adults are hiding information from the children, for the sake of the children from the adults' perspective. It doesn't have to get too complicated really, when a kid in my group acts very furtively, I am going to be somewhat wary of him regardless of his intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No, I'm not ignoring his words at all. Kazu-kun's reply reflects my own view here.

And how can you possibly write that his death was anything but calm? Shun maintained his composure right to the bitter end. His voice was consistently calm and very rarely raised. He went about as calmly to his death as I can imagine any teenager doing.
See my reply to Kazu-kun's post.

His death was anything but calm. His whole village got warped before he died. He took several poisons but they wouldn't affect him. His parents got killed before his eyes. His dog got mutated and murdered before him. It took all of that for him to make up his mind. Did he die a respectable death? Certainly so. But was it calm? Not really. He may have been calm at the exact instance when he perished but he was in great turmoil for an extended period before that. Death throes, if you will. That's disregarding what he said about his subconscious altogether. Even when you look away from how violent his subconscious was, his conscious self was also torn between all sorts of emotions before he chose to end it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
There's a very good, practical reason for why she didn't act on it, which unfortunately the anime never stated explicitly. I'll share that with you in PMs.
I knew the reason you wrote in the pm. And I already admitted that it wasn't feasible for Saki to have acted on it and that I didn't take anything away from her for not acting on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No, I think that you're massively downplaying it here. Shun and Saki have a story on the level of Romeo and Juliet, imo.

I think your stance does a grave disservice to couples that simply never had a chance to put their love to the test of time.

I mean, would you say that Romeo and Juliet never felt true love for each other because their love was never put to the test of time?

My view is once a person is really, truly willing to die for the sake of another, that's true love. Saki repeatedly put her life in grave peril to try to rescue Shun.

I mean, really think about your position here, and what it would mean for an awful lot of anime characters. I mean...

Spoiler for Major Madoka Magica spoilers:
Admiring the strength of feelings isn't the same as thinking of those feelings as being that of true love. It is possible for a couple to feel very very strongly for each other today and to grow over it relatively quick once the stage changes. I don't think of such ephemeral feelings as true love. I can however respect the legitimacy of such feelings.

Let me give you a twisted example.

Say there was an young boy who led a really poor country through a revolution against a horrible regime. Let's say he was truly charismatic and that he genuinely wanted to liberate his people and his country. Let's say a decade down the road, he started amassing power for himself and people close to him. Let's say that another decade down the road, he was doing all sorts of shady thing to keep the power for himself. Let's say that yet another decade down the road, some other revolution ousted his regime. The boy did indeed love his country and people when he was young but it didn't stay that way. Even if it did in his intent, it didn't in his actions.

About Romeo and Juliet, I don't really consider that true love either. Romeo is infatuated with Rosaline at the beginning of the story and his affair with Juliet is all too short to call it true love. I have read really humorous parodies of the plot where Romeo moves on to another girl after Juliet "dies" (depending on the parody, she is either faking it to potentially escape with him, to test him or just wants this stalker to gtfo) and I find those to be more honest with the reality of the relationship than this idea that Romeo and Juliet were somehow in true love when they barely even interacted with each other. I would say I find that particular relationship a lot weaker (and less tragic) than Saki and Shun's even.

As for the content under those spoilers, those aren't necessarily true love either. Those characters suffered a lot for the people they loved and the strength of their feelings was palpable in their sacrifices, but that show itself indicated that some of those relationships were borderline obsession and not true love per se. Feel free to hate me for putting it that harshly ;_;

Thing is, Satoru went through a great deal to save Saki earlier on when he didn't "love" her (at that point, he didn't). Thing also is, I have gone through great perils for my friends that I didn't hold specially over my other friends. I have seen great people who threw their lives away for the sake of completely unrelated people. The fact that Saki went to great lengths to reach out to Shun does show how much she cared for him but feeling really strongly for a person isn't the same as being in true love or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I agree with the idea that the test of time is a great way to test the strength of two people's love for one another (and if their love fails that test for any reason other than death or literally forced separation, then yeah, that reflects poorly on their "love"). However, for obvious reasons I don't think it's a fair test to apply when one half of the couple dies at a young age. Then it's important to try to judge if any of the actions that the characters took for each other can "make up for" the lack of the test of time. And with Saki and Shun, I think there are clear instances that can make up for this lack of the test of time.
Referring back to my twisted example. If the boy was shot was when he was still young and leading the revolution, he would have been heralded as a most venerable heroic martyr ;_; For me, for something like true love, the only possible evidence is the test of time. That doesn't mean I don't find myself feeling sad for Saki and Shun nor does it mean I diss martyrs who die young. Far from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Saki doesn't strike me as a person who does crazy things for the sheer thrill of it. So I think that the argument you made after this question is really stretching things when it comes to her.

I think it makes a lot more sense to chalk up Saki's actions in this episode, and the last, to her having a deep, true love for Shun.
I said it in the post you quoted right afterwards that I don't think she she did it for the sheer thrill of it either. What I hoped to tell you with that was simply that people don't think rationally when they're in danger and that Saki's leaving to reach out to Shun after strongly forbade from doing so was already enough to show us how strongly she cared for Shun. That encounter with the cat was at best icing on the cake. Heck, if anything, I would find her to be dumb (and a very unbelievable character) if she gave up on meeting Shun after that encounter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
As for my questions, I raised them for comparison purposes (Saki/Shun vs. Saki/Satoru vs. Shun/Satoru). My argument is that Saki and Shun love each other more than either one loves Shun (and more than Satoru loves Saki or Shun).

However, if you're not interested in that particular comparison, we can skip it.
That part is obvious and a given. At least until this episode anyway.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Will all due respect, you sure use that word "crush" an awful lot, for someone who says he doesn't want to dare say that Shun and Saki's love for each other is just a crush.

It seems to me that you're daring to say exactly that quite a bit...
In my defense, I am forced to use the word a lot due to the discussion at hand Also, I don't see why a crush needs be "just a crush" and not something wonderful. The way I see it, a crush is merely any kind of attraction felt for another teen. When you profess it and work on it, it can turn into a relationship and hopefully true love but until then, it's a crush. More or less. Obviously, these things aren't that simple and I am more or less arguing for the sake of arguing but I don't think of that as an auto-invalidation of points I raise even if most people do. I already admitted that this here is more or less an issue of personal take and semantics anyway.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think that Satoru cared for Shun and vice versa. In fact, I think that Satoru loved Shun sincerely, and romantically. I think that Shun genuinely liked Satoru, but that his feelings for Saki ran deeper than his feelings for Shun (much like how Saki's feelings for Shun ran deeper than Saki's feelings for Maria).

Anyway, I totally disagree with the idea that Shun and Satoru's feelings for each other can be accurately portrayed as "a crush". No, I'm very confident that they felt true love for each other.
More or less agreed, at least on the intent even if not so much on the wording.

If anybody else is referring to me when they shout at people who are still beating a dead horse and refusing to believe that Saki and Shun loved each other, well, you either didn't really read through everything I wrote or just didn't get it. If it's the latter, apologies for being bad at exposition

Anyway, moving on,

I think your hate for Saki is unjustified, CJ Walker. And she doesn't really have the MC plot armor. Bear in mind that this is all being narrated by her so it's already a given that she survived all of this until at least the event of narration. The story had a survivor who survived thanks to stuff that the story pointed out as being stuff that would help her survive. How is that plot armor o_o? She was indeed a bitch to Mamoru but oh well, that's reason to like her than to hate her because perfect characters only exist when the author bullshits around. She felt bad and apologetic right away too! I don't think her retorts at her parents are unwarranted. She isn't nearly as whiny as most girls in anime (or real life, for that matter).

I would have liked to see more stuff from Shun's perspective too but I don't think he could have worked as the MC for this story.

I would also like to see some stuff from the adults' perspective. Here's hoping we get some of it, at least when Saki herself becomes an adult.

I noticed those crotch shots too! And yeah, while I don't necessarily agree with some of the facial expressions towards the very end of the episode (too stoic and indifferent imo, and weird angles too), Saki looked very beautiful this episode in certain shots. Not cute, but beautiful. Definitely more of an adult charm to her this episode. If I was shown this episode as a stand alone, I would never have guessed her age as 14.
__________________

Last edited by Forsaken_Infinity; 2012-12-03 at 01:01. Reason: had reply to Kazu-kun in another tab, apparently forgot to merge it before I posted.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 01:37   Link #92
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Such a weird episode. I was wondering "Why the hell do they keep zooming in on her crotch lol". I know people will cut budget and do more leg shots, but I just found it really strange.

Anyhow, Shun as expected was gg'd, though I didn't expect it in this manner. It was way more depressing this way then to just off him, as Saki is now overridden with a sense of guilt and perhaps a newfound sense of determination to do... something. Great episode overall and it ended too soon.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 02:00   Link #93
Unknown Soldier
:D
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
The problem with the changing out of episode directors in this show is the dizzying shifts in artistic style which have been occurring. This was a strong episode but I really wish for a show where the overall narrative is so important that they would be a little bit more consistent with the directing and artistic style.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 02:20   Link #94
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
@Forsaken Identity

A few key points.

1. The main reason I used the term "true love" was to differentiate it from the love that Shun felt for Satoru, and that Saki felt for Maria. In other words, by "true love" I basically meant "actual, completely sincere, romantic love".

Now, I think that Shun loves Satoru... as a friend. And I think that Saki loves Maria... as a friend. But I do get the impression that Shun doesn't feel as strongly for Satoru as Satoru feels for him, and that Saki doesn't feel as strongly for Maria as Maria feels for her.

So with Shun/Saki, you get a more perfect mutuality, imo. In other words, the intensity and sincerity of the romantic love that Shun feels for Saki is matched by the intensity and sincerity of the romantic love that Saki feels for Shun.

I get the impression that we agree on this (at least through the first 10 episodes). And so, semantic issues aside, we largely agree on my intent behind the term "true love".


2. The argument that Saki didn't spend a lot of time with Shun seems... highly questionable to me. I mean, we're talking about close childhood friends here who are both part of a seemingly pretty small rural village. They're people who have been going to the same small school for several years, and are part of a pretty tight-knit group of five friends. As someone who grew up in a place similar to this (in a small town of just over a thousand people), I can tell you that even a person as introverted as Shun is going to be known pretty well by his closest friends in school. There's just no hiding away completely when you live in a place that rural.

I mean, you write about Shun and Saki almost like Saki was this lovestruck girl that happened to be in the same class as Shun, but never got up the courage to talk much with him, and hence was secretly harboring all of these unrequited feelings.

And that just doesn't fit with the first few episodes of the anime, which presents Shun, Saki, Satoru, Maria, and Mamoru as really good friends with each other.


3. This final point is a bit tangental, but I'm going to raise it anyway. I get the impression that "true love" represents a sort of platonic ideal of romantic love to you. With that in mind, I think you're a bit too strictly adherent to your "test of time" approach, especially when it comes to evaluating anime and its characters.

9 times out of 10, anime deals with adolescent relationships. About equally often, we don't get to see characters age over the span of decades (this show will somewhat ironically be an exception to that). So it seems to me that your insistence on the "test of time" when it comes to "true love" would result in really lowering the emotional strength and impact of a lot of anime shows and a lot of prominent anime pairings. At a meta-level, I think this works very much contrary to what the writers and producers of various anime shows are intending for their audience to take away from them.

That's just something that I think you might want to consider when evaluating anime romances in the future, particularly ones focusing on teenaged characters.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 07:42   Link #95
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I still haven't managed to watch the ep (this is what happens when you're waiting for someone...) but I just remembered - I actually managed to predict Shun's fate some 2 eps into the series. I'm so proud of myself. orz
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 10:49   Link #96
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
What are all those disc-shaped objects during the opening sequence supposed to be? They look a bit like white corpuscles. I don't recall seeing these before, and there was no explanation of what they were.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 15:44   Link #97
deadsea
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Does Nekodamashi can use hypnosis? What was that light that left his eye at the beginning of chapter and hit Saki?
deadsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 08:59   Link #98
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 26
This art and animation style worked much better here than episode 5, because it makes sense for the environment to be aberrant in the context of the story.

It's not so clear to me if Shun actually dies here or not. It's confirmed by the novel readers in this thread, but...he was musing about how he's unable to commit suicide, then does it anyway? OK then.
__________________
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 09:44   Link #99
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
This art and animation style worked much better here than episode 5, because it makes sense for the environment to be aberrant in the context of the story.

It's not so clear to me if Shun actually dies here or not. It's confirmed by the novel readers in this thread, but...he was musing about how he's unable to commit suicide, then does it anyway? OK then.
He doesn't commit suicide. His powers just become so wildly uncontrollable that he himself becomes collateral damage to their environmental warping effects. If one wishes to take a different view of it, one might say that he didn't die, he simply went into hibernation, or extreme isolation as a result of his desire to not hurt anyone anymore. Either way his role in the story is over, which was to show what happens when the conscious brain can no longer control the subconscious psychic energy it emits. I think the term "karma demon" here is literal, as in someone who is a victim of themselves, and they become the monster that is feared by others.

That's really the syndrome in a nutshell, really. The librarian in episode three talked about how early users went through exponential evolution of their powers due to the stress of the war. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for all of the rampant mutations and utter devastation of civilization was directly resultant from users who had powers grow faster than their ability to control them.

This is likely why there is such intense training and discipline in the society, to help weed out cases where powers are too weak or users are too "clever" for their own good. I'd imagine that a weak user might push themselves too hard to prove themselves, thus causing backlash which could have severe localized damage. A strong user who is unable to control their powers obviously results in the same thing.

It's easy to admonish such a cruel society for being too paranoid, but the results speak for themselves. There is a long history of psychic powers that are abused or have gone out of control, and Shun demonstrates that even a child can wipe out an entire village and even warp reality itself. Even the cat, which an ordinary Cantus user would struggle with, was a complete joke to him. In order to preserve what little humanity still exists, the adults decided to resort to what we would consider unthinkable means of culling the dangerous elements. Survival is paramount over ethics in this world.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 10:52   Link #100
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
He doesn't commit suicide. His powers just become so wildly uncontrollable that he himself becomes collateral damage to their environmental warping effects. If one wishes to take a different view of it, one might say that he didn't die, he simply went into hibernation, or extreme isolation as a result of his desire to not hurt anyone anymore. Either way his role in the story is over, which was to show what happens when the conscious brain can no longer control the subconscious psychic energy it emits. I think the term "karma demon" here is literal, as in someone who is a victim of themselves, and they become the monster that is feared by others.

That's really the syndrome in a nutshell, really. The librarian in episode three talked about how early users went through exponential evolution of their powers due to the stress of the war. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for all of the rampant mutations and utter devastation of civilization was directly resultant from users who had powers grow faster than their ability to control them.

This is likely why there is such intense training and discipline in the society, to help weed out cases where powers are too weak or users are too "clever" for their own good. I'd imagine that a weak user might push themselves too hard to prove themselves, thus causing backlash which could have severe localized damage. A strong user who is unable to control their powers obviously results in the same thing.

It's easy to admonish such a cruel society for being too paranoid, but the results speak for themselves. There is a long history of psychic powers that are abused or have gone out of control, and Shun demonstrates that even a child can wipe out an entire village and even warp reality itself. Even the cat, which an ordinary Cantus user would struggle with, was a complete joke to him. In order to preserve what little humanity still exists, the adults decided to resort to what we would consider unthinkable means of culling the dangerous elements. Survival is paramount over ethics in this world.
I largely agree.

Harsh as it is, it's certainly not hard to see the basic pragmatic reasons for why society is the way it is in Shin Sekai Yori.

In fact, I'm not sure much better alternatives are available or even imaginable here.

In the end, Cantus power is arguably more of a curse than a blessing. It's possible to master it, but you need to be extremely self-disciplined and have certain personality traits to achieve such mastery, imo.

Shun had immense raw power, but his personality did not lend itself to such mastery.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.