AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-14, 16:15   Link #1
mojorisin777

Please Help VirtualDubMod Problem!! PLEASE!

God, I've never been so frustrated in my life. I'm having a problem that seems to be relatively common, but none of the listed solutions has worked for me. I downloaded 51 episodes of Full Metal Alchemist in .mkv format, and the quality is fantastic. I downloaded them with the intention of burning them to dvd and watching them with my son, and at first there was no problem. I'm new to working with DVDs, I've been using VCDs and SVCDs for years, so perhaps I'm just too noob to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've been using VirtualDubMod to extract both the video and the english language audio stream, and then encoding them with separate programs. This worked fine up to episode 6. Starting with episode 7, and every episode from then on, I get an error when I try to extract the audio stream. I get 'No decompressor was found to decompress source audio' errors every time, and the file info option lists the audio as 'unknown wave format'. I've tried at least ten separate solutions that seem to have worked for other people with the same problem, and no dice. Nothing, but nothing, seems to help. I am at my literal wit's end, it's driving me insane, and my boy is bugging me to see the next episode. Please, for the love of god, help.

Just off the top of my head, I have tried demuxing the stream directly to *.mp4 file and then converting to .wav using nero wave editor. I have tried using direct stream instead of full processing mode when extracting from VirtualDubMod. I have installed riverpast audio converter, and I have to admit I was surprised when it didn't work. That program has never failed me before. I'm sure I've tried other things, but I wasn't really keeping track at the time and nothing else immediately comes to mind. I would appreciate any help greatly.
Old 2006-01-14, 17:41   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I recommend using gspot to determine the exact codecs that were used. You should be able to find an appropriate audio codec based on that. I'd imagine that it's just a matter that the encoders changed their codec or encoding method.

Worst case scenario, virtualdubmod is the most convenient program to use, but it isn't recommended for dealing with MKV files. mkvmux (or, mkvmuxgui) is more recommended for being able to properly extract every part of the file.

FYI, Full Metal Alchemist is licensed. This forum very badly looks down on doing anything besides buying DVDs for licensed series. I'm helping you because I like the thought of a father and son enjoying a series like FMA together, but please do consider purchasing the series if you can.
Old 2006-01-14, 17:58   Link #3
mojorisin777

Lord, I apologize. I didn't do enough reading of the forum first, obviously. I found this forum googling the problem. If it makes any difference, I have bought all the FMA they have at Best Buy, but it's only like four episodes per disc, they don't have seasons. I didn't really see any other choice, since I need the English language version and the seasons I've seen online on ebay were all subtitled.

I'm going to try the gspot thing, and again, sorry for the faux pas.
Old 2006-01-14, 18:44   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I think the troublesome audio tracks are probably in AAC format. To convert
them you probably need to use MKVExtractGUI to extract them, then some other
tool to convert them to whatever format you want.

But as been mentioned before, FMA is licensed, so this thread is locked.
Old 2006-01-14, 23:15   Link #5
mojorisin777

A Completely Unrelated Problem, Only Exactly The Same.

I'm having a problem with a completely unlicensed video which has nothing to do with my earlier thread, which was about a licensed series, but is exactly the same problem. It's an mkv file which, when you try to extract the audio, gives the error "no decompressor could be found to decompress the audio cource". File info gives the codec as "unknown wave format". A very nice guy suggested I use gspot to find the specific codec used, but gspot wouldn't let me open the mkv file. It doesn't like them. I've installed huge codec packs in vain hopes that one of them would help me out, but with no luck. A somewhat less nice guy suggested that it was an aac file and that I should use mkvextract to extract the stream and then convert it using some external audio converter. A good idea, but unfortunately one that I had tried multiple times with multiple audio converters before I ever posted to this board. No converter is able to successfully convert the english audio track. Strangely, I was able to convert the japanese language track, once. The same program, however, had no luck with the english one. Please, for the love of God, does anyone have any other ideas?
Old 2006-01-15, 00:22   Link #6
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

Which show / video? If you tell is which video it is you are trying to play, we can look for it, check the codecs used ourselves and give you a precise answer. If you can't tell us we can't help you.

You're still talking about English Audio tracks; unless you're watching a fan-dub -- of which there are not many -- you're still talking about stuff that is banned from this forum and you will find no help to play it.
Old 2006-01-15, 00:47   Link #7
mojorisin777

Well, you can't blame me for trying. Actually, of course you can, you just did. Anyway, I appreciate the fact that you at least read the message. I'll look elsewhere. You guys have a good day.
Old 2006-01-15, 00:48   Link #8
Ledgem
Love Yourself

What error did mkvextract give you? Or, if you were able to successfully rip out the audio stream, what programs did you try? What IS the audio, anyway? Open it in an audio program, like Winamp, and get the file information. From there we can determine exactly what it is and convert it.

Worst case scenario, try messaging me over AIM. If you can transfer the file to me, I'll see what I can do to convert it and then give you the method. I consider myself pretty experienced with basic audio and video conversion and editing.