AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-05, 20:19   Link #2301
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Something I realized: Most likely the Nishizumi clan is related to Nishizumi Kojiro, a famous "Tank Hero" during the Sino-Japanese War.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 20:44   Link #2302
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Just a little bit of random trivia: Otto Carius, the Tiger ace that Yukari quoted a while ago? He's still alve and lives in Germany.

And he runs a pharmacy he owns called "Tiger Apotheke" (Tiger Apothecary).

Inb4 Yukari figures out to go to Germany so she can worship at his feet.
Did she actually quote him? Cause it'd be awfully weird for him to be a tank hero in their universe when WW2 never happened? I believe someone quoted that bit of "lore" right?

Outcome remains uncertain
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 20:50   Link #2303
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
We're really not sure about where World War 2 stands in this universe, as both Yukari and the History Club goofs keeps on referring to it. I think it still happened, but the actual events turned out drastically different than how it was in the real world.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 20:55   Link #2304
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
We're really not sure about where World War 2 stands in this universe, as both Yukari and the History Club goofs keeps on referring to it. I think it still happened, but the actual events turned out drastically different than how it was in the real world.
Don't take this too seriously. The references are just there for history buffs and military nuts. The whole setting is so outlandish that trying to find parallels in reality is doomed to end in failure

Let a slapstick gig be a slapstick gig, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Just a little bit of random trivia: Otto Carius, the Tiger ace that Yukari quoted a while ago? He's still alve and lives in Germany.

And he runs a pharmacy he owns called "Tiger Apotheke" (Tiger Apothecary).

Inb4 Yukari figures out to go to Germany so she can worship at his feet.
Bah, I am many posts ahead of you, even added the link to his infamous pharmacy!!

I win!

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 20:55   Link #2305
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
We're really not sure about where World War 2 stands in this universe, as both Yukari and the History Club goofs keeps on referring to it. I think it still happened, but the actual events turned out drastically different than how it was in the real world.
Pretty sure someone quoted a piece of published material saying there was no wars after the 1920s in this world. Trying to find it .. this thread sure ballooned out fast!

Reply hazy, ask again later
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 20:59   Link #2306
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
No, the Giveout only specifies that Senshado was established in the 20s, and that since then no men have been allowed to ride in tanks for fear of using them in wars. Nowhere does it say that war never happened (and given its start in the 20s, that meant that World War One was already history).
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:00   Link #2307
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
No, the Giveout only specifies that Senshado was established in the 20s, and that since then no men has allowed to ride in tanks for fear of using them in wars. Nowhere does it say that war never happened (and given its start in the 20s, that meant that World War One was already history).
Oh? But then .. when did WW2 happen if men weren't allowed to drive tanks after the 20s? Did she actually reference Carius or was just using his quotes?

Reply hazy, ask again later
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:04   Link #2308
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Oh? But then .. when did WW2 happen if men weren't allowed to drive tanks after the 20s? Did she actually reference Carius or was just using his quotes?

Reply hazy, ask again later
I didn't catch the Carius reference in question (not a treadhead), but given the hard cutoff date, I think that World War 2 still happened on schedule, except without most of its tanks.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:09   Link #2309
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Well it is the 74th Tournement and they are using World War II era tanks.

But when it this (supposedly). Since the schools "all" are on carriers, and so far all the carriers have been Japanese "owned"...assuming there are other countries ot there...or maybe not if they have maybe 12 or whatever number of City sized carriers, large jet aircraft and cel phones.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:10   Link #2310
Endless Knackwurst
Clumsy Valkyrie Pilot
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
...I think that World War 2 still happened on schedule, except without most of its tanks.
As Hermes would say, "That just raises further questions!"
__________________
Endless Knackwurst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:10   Link #2311
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I didn't catch the Carius reference in question (not a treadhead), but given the hard cutoff date, I think that World War 2 still happened on schedule, except without most of its tanks.
So how does Erwin's Stalingrad comment factor in?


Unless WWII got gender-bent
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:12   Link #2312
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
So how does Erwin's Stalingrad comment factor in?


Unless WWII got gender-bent
Do take note that Stalingrad itself was a grinding fight of attrition, and NOT a tank battle (as the close-quarter fighting reduced armor mostly useless). A better question is the context of the African campaign between Rommel and Montgomery in this world, since THAT one had tanks figure in a major role.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:13   Link #2313
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well it is the 74th Tournement and they are using World War II era tanks.

But when it this (supposedly). Since the schools "all" are on carriers, and so far all the carriers have been Japanese "owned"...assuming there are other countries ot there...or maybe not if they have maybe 12 or whatever number of City sized carriers, large jet aircraft and cel phones.
We can only assume that Japan conquered all the other countries. WW2 was fought only with carriers and planes? All these other countries all became part of Japan, but the Japanese there adopted and were psuedo-assimilated?

So we have: "America"-Japan. "Britain"-Japan. "Russian"-Japan .. Etc.

That's why you have all these different cultures, but everyone's Japanese?

Outlook remains uncertain
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:15   Link #2314
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
That's why you have all these different cultures, but everyone's Japanese?

Outlook remains uncertain
No, it's been mentioned that there IS an actual International Senshado League, and that the next world cup is to be held in Japan. It's just that the schools we've seen so far just happen to ape national stereotypes of other countries. They're not actually citizens of America, etc.

Again, it's best to remember that the hard cutoff date for Senshado-viable tanks is the day of end of the war in the Pacific, where Japan finally signed its surrender to McArthur.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:23   Link #2315
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Do take note that Stalingrad itself was a grinding fight of attrition, and NOT a tank battle (as the close-quarter fighting reduced armor mostly useless). A better question is the context of the African campaign between Rommel and Montgomery in this world, since THAT one had tanks figure in a major role.
She said it as they were charging in...so it's most likely a reference to the opening phase of Operation Fischreiher. Which was an armoured drive like most major German assaults.


Stalingrad is not pure city hell. The main maneuvre warfare taking place on the flanks determined the strategic outcome in the end


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well it is the 74th Tournement and they are using World War II era tanks.

But when it this (supposedly). Since the schools "all" are on carriers, and so far all the carriers have been Japanese "owned"...assuming there are other countries ot there...or maybe not if they have maybe 12 or whatever number of City sized carriers, large jet aircraft and cel phones.
Next thing you know.....due to some major calamity, Earth is now 98% water and apart from the remnants of continents, the only viable way to live is on giant floating cities
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:28   Link #2316
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Next thing you know.....due to some major calamity, Earth is now 98% water and apart from the remnants of continents, the only viable way to live is on giant floating cities
Uh... Macross?

Or Regios?

You guys are taking the setting way too seriously

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:29   Link #2317
MarkS00N
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Somehow I think the World War II stuffs happened but as Tournament instead of real war...
MarkS00N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:36   Link #2318
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nanairogaoka
Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
3. Miho wasn't given the needed information so that she would prepare for the matter of life and death to Oarai. If Miho knew of what's at stake earlier, her mentality would have had the comfort of adjusting before coming to the battlefield. In short, Miho had no idea to what end Oarai was after, until coming to realization at the worst possible time.
Referring to the part I put in bold. That's what I think too. If Miho knew at the start what's at stake, she might have been more forceful in enforcing strategy instead of going along with what most of the others wanted at the moment.

Miho went into that match thinking they're doing the match "for the fun of it". Now that they're trapped, and suddenly faced with fact that surrender isn't an option.. I wonder what kind of strategy the Oorai team would try to do in the next episode. Try to use force to breakout of the encirclement, or perhaps try to find another exit out of the building which is not watched by Pravda?

Can't wait for next week!
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:38   Link #2319
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
You guys are taking the setting way too seriously

- Tak
It kind of happens when everything so far in the show has been amazing, and yet they've just glossed over the world-building aspect. It's smart (let the audience fill in the blanks) and frustrating (when things don't quite add up when compared to the events referred to in the real world) at the same time.

Unless Erwin Rommel and Montomery and, heaven forbid, PATTON, were really women in this world. Ditto for Carius, Kolbanov, Abrams, et al.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:40   Link #2320
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Uh... Macross?

Or Regios?

You guys are taking the setting way too seriously

- Tak
Why else would there be Big Dumb Object carriers like that
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, gup, military, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.