AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sakurasou

View Poll Results: Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 12 20.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 24.14%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 37.93%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 15.52%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-06, 15:53   Link #201
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
Nonsense. What she should do and what not is up to her and not for me, for you or for anyone else to decide. That it's her own life and that only she herself has the right to decide to do what she wants with it, is the absolut most important thing. In comparsion to that, other things like expections from other people are completely irrelevant
Just because people have the freedom to chart their own course in life doesn't mean we shouldn't encourage people to consider others when they make important decisions that will effect others. Arguing that other people are "completely irrelevant" is practically by definition the heights of self-centered thinking.

And in fact, the great freedoms we enjoy is a big part of the reason why it's good to encourage people to care about others.


As for your debate with chaos2frozen... do you honestly believe that most people are allowed to do whatever they want?

Most people frequently have to do things that they don't want to do. How many people enjoyed going to school every day they went to school? How many people enjoyed going to work every day they went to work?

And yet, that is expected of people. In most industrialized nations, kids are expected to go to school, period. It doesn't matter if they want to or not.


This notion that people should only do what they want to do is completely divorced from reality, imo.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 15:56   Link #202
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42 10' N (Latitude) 87 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
It's a one off statement I used to get people to think about the other side of this argument! In which case the point is that actions have consequences whether you consider them fair or not! You can't just do whatever you want without thinking that there's some kind of backlash. Had you not been so caught up in your blind righteousness you might be able to objectively see that instead if taking it as some declaration against freedom crap.
It's the sheer price some people pay for doing something that makes them famous. People often demand more. And that's the reality of it.

And now... who wants some more Gangnam Style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
You can't just do whatever you want without thinking that there's some kind of backlash.
True. But some forms of backlash can and should be ignored for the sake of one's choice. Or, the backlash should be taken as some form of advice. It's the strange nature regarding career choices.

YET:

The real interesting this will be: How will Mashiro respond when she learns about Sorata's opinion on the matter?
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 15:57   Link #203
Zavie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I guess we can only agree to disagree then, because it seems we see things here from angles that are polar opposites of one another. I disagree that she owes anything to anyone. Not to her would-be fans, not the Art world, no one, only to herself. I truly believe it's the epitome of selfishness from the side of the fans and the art world to believe they are entitled to benefit from Mashiro's talents. From where I see it, that's a simple act of attempted coercion through weight of numbers.

And who is to say that she hasn't considered it, but simply arrived to the answer that her own needs take precedence? Or maybe she didn't, because perhaps it didn't matter to her in the first place - she could have been drawing for herself all along. She doesn't owe that consideration to anyone but herself. And there isn't any right or wrong answer here, either is a valid one. Of course one might not be one that Mashiro's fans would prefer, but they will just have to accept that. They have no right to demand more. That's not their decision to make, nor their place to pressure her in to making a favorable one for them. And the impression I get there is that some aren't willing to accept the answer that Mashiro wants to stay away from painting for now. That she somehow hasn't considered enough and should go back to considering some more. Until she reaches a decision that satisfies them, obviously.

So yeah, I think we can only agree to disagree here. I can only see the suggestion that Mashiro's life should be influenced by her fans to any degree as the ultimate expression of selfishness and self-entitlement, because there really isn't any higher to go on that scale than to demand of someone to structure their life for the benefit of others, even if said person doesn't want that. My sensibilities simply don't agree with that on a fundamental level. If she wants to do it, then fine. If not, then that's her choice to make without feeling persecuted by "fans".
Just to express my view, it is maybe just different in cultural value, I, myself think I owe my life to my parent, and it is my duty to work hard and repay them back. Same thing with my close friends, if I consder anybody as my friend, I would go out of my way to help and wish them hapiness, and they can do the same thing back to me. While they don't have the right to make any decision for me, they do have the right to show their concerns and opinions about the decision that I made. I see them as signs of caring, not hindrances or manipulation. If you ended up doing something they made you do, I can only blame you to not be strong enough to convince them. People are not saints nor god, if you want people to understand you, convince them, if that is not enough, try harder. I do believe happiness is not something you can gain alone, it's best shared with people, especially for those who are close to you.

But then as you said, Mashiro might hold a completely different value and perspective, so those things above might not bother her at all. But then, at the same time she might hold the same view as us, just having trouble expressing it, how do we actually know? Whichever is valuable to her, we need to know, and why, if you want people to accept it.

So in my opinion, your statement might be correct for strangers anonmyous fans or even mankind itself. But it doesn't apply to Rita, as she is, as far as I know, one of the closest person Mashiro has. She has the right to show concern, to persuade and trying her best for Mashiro's hapiness (by her understanding), her method might not be the best, but I can not wrong her effort at all.
__________________

Last edited by Zavie; 2012-12-06 at 17:51.
Zavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 15:59   Link #204
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
My position is that Shiina's own wants are important, but that a balanced life includes considering the good you can do for others, and at least factoring that into your decisions.
The thing is,I think people are taking the shortcut "only what Shiina wants matters" because in both options there's people that would benefit from her talents,the manga world could lose a great mangaka if she goes back to painting full time.I know you brought up Michael Jordan earlier,but who's to say she can't be a Bo Jackson and be great at both.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 16:03   Link #205
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
It's the sheer price some people pay for doing something that makes them famous. People often demand more. And that's the reality of it.


And now... who wants some more Gangnam Style?
I would call that infamy =_= Please, not in here...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
True. But some forms of backlash can and should be ignored for the sake of one's choice. Or, the backlash should be taken as some form of advice. It's the strange nature regarding career choices.
Regardless, it still means you have to listen to people's opinion at least- Outright blocking them is not a realistic option in life.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 16:06   Link #206
Haak
Haters Gonna Hate
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That makes no sense to me. You're basically saying that people can't change their mind or their approach to life, which is simply false. So, no, you haven't "already lost" just because you're trying to persuade someone to take the bigger picture into consideration here.
Unless you're a masochist you will naturally gravitate to what you want. If you've already decided that you don't want to make use of your talents then they've likely already consciously or unconsciously weighed up their mind which path they'd be happier under. Asking someone to change their approach in life is a big ask, especially when it involves asking them to go down a path that would, from a theoretical view, only benefit the masses at the expense of themselves. You can't force yourself to be altruistic.

Quote:
"Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country." - John F. Kennedy

That's probably his most famous quote. It's not hard to extend it to... "Ask not what your world can do for you - ask what you can do for your world."

Isn't that a good attitude to encourage yourself and other people to have? Especially people with exceptional abilities, talents, and/or power for obvious pragmatic reasons?
That sounds like you definitely want her to put the masses ahead of her own desires, which is very different from the more moderate stance you're still arguing for.

But again it depends on the situation. If there's no unreasonable sacrifices in doing so then yeah sure, but it's not always for everyone. Very few perspectives are.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 16:25   Link #207
molitar
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
The thing is,I think people are taking the shortcut "only what Shiina wants matters" because in both options there's people that would benefit from her talents,the manga world could lose a great mangaka if she goes back to painting full time.I know you brought up Michael Jordan earlier,but who's to say she can't be a Bo Jackson and be great at both.
So true..

Others think it's my opinion so maybe it is but I do not think those in England have her best interest at all. If they did they would of tried to have her mature and not treat her as a simpleton that needed a caretaker for every little thing. They strike me on how simple she is they viewed her as nothing more than a tool to create art.

If you want a slave what would you do in this age? Not let them know they were a slave. If they do not know what freedom is how can they know they are a slave? Leaving someone to be as dependent as her in affect creates a slave because she has to rely on someone for everything. It is like the pet bird in the cage that was born and raised in the cage it is the only life it knows and is happy. Everything to me points to that is how she was raised without her best interest at heart.

Maybe a better analogy would be the Killer Whale those born in captivity in the beginning was about nil the wild Killer Whales did not give mate and give birth in captivity they miss the wild but those born in captivity grew up and gave birth to more in captivity. The ones born in captivity knew nothing but that life.

Japan, is the best place for her where she has friends that are helping her to learn how to become more independent and how to really express herself. Teaching her what she should have been learning as a child about the world itself and how to live. Her friends in Japan have her best interest at heart the one thing that did not seem to be the case in England.

I really like this series it really brings out a lot of darkness of the world in many ways, the opinions of people, and a lot of speculation, yet nobody has really flamed each other like so many threads tend to do.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 16:30   Link #208
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
So true..

Others think it's my opinion so maybe it is but I do not think those in England have her best interest at all. .

Indeed, what were they thinking placing her in an all-girls school setting?! Those bastards !

Cute girls must mingle with boys! No exceptions!
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 16:39   Link #209
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
The thing is,I think people are taking the shortcut "only what Shiina wants matters" because in both options there's people that would benefit from her talents,the manga world could lose a great mangaka if she goes back to painting full time.
That's probably part of it, yeah.


Quote:
I know you brought up Michael Jordan earlier,but who's to say she can't be a Bo Jackson and be great at both.
Well, Sorata was clearly more impressed by Shiina's painting than by Shiina's manga (which he has read, after all). He doesn't strike me as a lover of paintings in general or as a lover of manga in general, so he strikes me as a relatively objective voice here.

Now, maybe Shiina can become just as good a mangaka as she can a painter. If so, this entire debate basically becomes moot.

But given what the characters know and can evaluate now, I don't think that Rita or Sorata are taking unreasonable positions. They might be wrong, sure, but I don't think they're horrible people for giving their honest assessment of Shiina's painting vs. Shiina's manga, and voicing opinions based on that. And I don't think that either are completely forgetting Shiina's own happiness here. Perhaps they're not weighing it heavily enough, but as Haak rightly points out, a big part of the problem is that Shiina leaves a lot to guesswork.

For example, did Shiina push Rita out the door because she didn't want to go back to painting, or because she didn't want to go back to London, or both? All three are very real possibilities.

It would be rather funny if we learn next episode that Rita was calling Sorata "Stupid Sorata" just because she felt hurt at Sorata being so willing to have her leave him and go back to London.

We should keep in mind that Shiina painted not once, but twice, in this episode. That doesn't strike me as a person who has completely lost a fondness for painting.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Unless you're a masochist you will naturally gravitate to what you want.
I agree. Which I would argue is precisely why altruism is something that needs to be encouraged, because it doesn't come as naturally as self-interest does.

I raised the JFK quote not because I think it's absolutely right in every instance, but just because such quotes are important reminders of how it's important to think altruistically at least some times.

So I don't want Shiina to put the masses ahead of her own desires, but simply for the masses to be a consideration.


My general thinking is that when you're facing a major decision in life it's good to think about the pros and cons of each possible decision. My thinking is "How will my decision affect others?" should come up somewhere in those pros/cons. That's all. The decisive factor could still be "I'd rather do manga because I've come to love verbalized storytelling. I find that greatly more rewarding than the merely implied storytelling of painting."

If so, fine.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 16:50   Link #210
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42 10' N (Latitude) 87 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Regardless, it still means you have to listen to people's opinion at least- Outright blocking them is not a realistic option in life.
Of course, the end result of complete blockage may result in stagnation. After all, who else other than oneself would such a person listen to? Often times, we actually need certain other people to steer us towards our own best interests.

At the same time, people giving opinions to other people: in order for these opinions to be considered, a person would have to be trusted. So, another thing to look for: Does Mashiro trust Rita? So far, the impression shows "no". If some untrusted person gives me suggestions, I am not going to listen.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 16:54   Link #211
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
So, another thing to look for: Does Mashiro trust Rita? So far, the impression shows "no". If some untrusted person gives me suggestions, I am not going to listen.

I'm not sure where you got that impression; it's less about not trusting her and more like she's just angry- Don't forget her first reaction was to tackle her with a big hug.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 17:25   Link #212
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42 10' N (Latitude) 87 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Here's a general question to anyone:

Have you ever been a part of something -- and you simply left it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I'm not sure where you got that impression; it's less about not trusting her and more like she's just angry- Don't forget her first reaction was to tackle her with a big hug.
Oh, right, I forgot about that. How could I have forgotten about two girls hugging each other like that? Now that I do remember: lemme drool on it for a bit.

So, OK. The trust thing was a bit much into this discussion. Although, it is still a considerable factor to consider regarding our own decisions.

Moving on...

It is the behavior afterwards that had me focused on. For now, we've had some bits and snippets of Mashiro's life prior to Sakurasou. For example, there was the one the image of her standing in front of everyone, while they snap pictures of her. It looked glamorous, didn't it?

And this time, we get a character in Rita, who can shed a whole lot of light on that art life of hers. It is also interesting to note Rita had performed "Mashiro Duty" before as well. Mashiro was in a particular world through her art work; and perhaps, she no longer wants to be a part of that. Rita is a part of that old world, and Mashiro does not want to go back.

Ironically, she might find herself in a similar position within the manga circles; but that is not acquired yet (assuming IF). This time, Sorata is in Rita's old role. Ultimately, this will play out based on what he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
she felt hurt at Sorata being so willing to have her leave him and go back to London.
Ever paid attention to the reaction of girls after y'reject them, either directly or indirectly? Oh boy...
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 17:45   Link #213
Zavie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
All the discussions and you guys are actually making me want to love this show now, lol I like the show from the beginning, but after all this, it kinda grew to something a bit more special
__________________
Zavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 17:54   Link #214
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42 10' N (Latitude) 87 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
All the discussions and you guys are actually making me want to love this show now, lol I like the show from the beginning, but after all this, it kinda grew to something a bit more special
Yes. There's a lot more in question, other than "Which girl should Sorata do it with?" "Next" Instead, they're essentially life questions -- that we ourselves deal with.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 18:05   Link #215
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Here's a general question to anyone:

Have you ever been a part of something -- and you simply left it?
Not 'simply' that's for sure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Oh, right, I forgot about that. How could I have forgotten about two girls hugging each other like that? Now that I do remember: lemme drool on it for a bit.
33 years and counting, you're not getting any younger...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 18:24   Link #216
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Just to express my view, it is maybe just different in cultural value, I, myself think I owe my life to my parent, and it is my duty to work hard and repay them back. Same thing with my close friends, if I consder anybody as my friend, I would go out of my way to help and wish them hapiness, and they can do the same thing back to me. While they don't have the right to make any decision for me, they do have to right to show their concerns and opinions about the decision that I made. I see them as signs of caring, not hindrances or manipulative. If you ended up doing something they made you do, I can only blame you tbe not strong enough to convince them. People are not saints nor god, if you want people to understand you, convince them, if that is not enough, try harder. I do believe happiness is not something you can gain alone, it's best shared with people, especially for those who are close to you.
I've been reading though the thread. Only dropping by to reply to your points since, yours are the only ones with regard to Rita's side that don't come off as contradictory (to the way they're worded). It seems to me like there's agreement what the correct values are, but disagreement on what we're seeing.

Yes I agree with you, upbringing, social circles all play a big role. And also, I'm pretty sure (for all the convenient accusations of "selfish") most people on the side of "Mashiro should not listen to Rita" really have no issue with someone listening to the opinion of their family, loved ones and friends.

However, I really don't see how there's any reason in the series so far to believe Rita is real "family" for Mashiro, or even that friendly with her. These are the semantics I see,
  • It wasn't "Mashiro, leave Sakurasou, and come back to your family in England."

  • Nor was it, "Mashiro, leave your manga, and come back to your worried friends over in England."

  • And not even a, "Mashiro, come back to England, *I* need you, and *I* am worried about you."

  • What it was was, "Mashiro, leave your friends at Sakurasou, all the hard work you've put in, your manga, and abandon Japan (along with your current life) because a lot of strangers want you to paint back home in England, and you're worthless with out them."

You then have (the very quick) scheming, plotting and meddling.

She's not asking Mashiro to make the choice, she's not making Mashiro see some goodness of looking at her fandom, she's forcing Mashiro to choose her. At best she's her former de facto family; ie. room mate, single person to talk to, etc. Someone which one would be happy to see, but at the same time, not necessarily too close. Hence the hug, and prompt door to the face.

There's plenty of talk how "Mashiro should listen to <the majority>" yet how is a single loud voice helping her. Because that's how it is, really. Imagine if the tables were flipped, and all of Sakurasou was in favor of her going back to England and painting and Rita was neutral. Mashiro would suddenly have a lot more opinions on which to base her toughts on. What does she have now? Rita and the big shadow she conveniently cast behind her. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Rita is necesarilly lying here, and even if she is there's obviously truth in what she's saying, but Rita is not the art world, her views are simplistic at best. Listening to Rita is not synonymous with listening to "the world", it's just Rita, and what Rita wants.

With regard to your last point, about how if at first, and second you don't succeed, "try harder", in my views that's considered extremely disrespectful and rude; especially when it's something the other person has no claim on. The whole cartoony "universal simplification theory" of one's life, morals, and values, is also not part of the values I was brought up with. People are not just these amercan movie stereotypes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
[...] So in my opinion, your statement might be correct for strangers anonmyous fans or even mankind itself. But it doesn't apply to Rita, as she is, as far as I know, one of the closest person Mashiro has. She has the right to show concern, to persuade and trying her best for Mashiro's hapiness (by her understanding), her method might not be the best, but I can not wrong her effort at all.
Mashiro already answered this. She chose Sakurasou, therefore there should be no doubt which is (relationship wise) more important. And from the dialog it would seem Rita had alone-time with Mashiro for at least a year, so for it to be so bad they would avoid each other one would assume Rita wasn't "looking out for Mashiro's well being" until recently; the counter posibility being Mashiro is a total heartless bitch—and we got plenty of proof that's not true.

* back to lurking
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 20:24   Link #217
Zavie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
However, I really don't see how there's any reason in the series so far to believe Rita is real "family" for Mashiro, or even that friendly with her. These are the semantics I see,
  • It wasn't "Mashiro, leave Sakurasou, and come back to your family in England."

  • Nor was it, "Mashiro, leave your manga, and come back to your worried friends over in England."

  • And not even a, "Mashiro, come back to England, *I* need you, and *I* am worried about you."

  • What it was was, "Mashiro, leave your friends at Sakurasou, all the hard work you've put in, your manga, and abandon Japan (along with your current life) because a lot of strangers want you to paint back home in England, and you're worthless with out them."

You then have (the very quick) scheming, plotting and meddling.

She's not asking Mashiro to make the choice, she's not making Mashiro see some goodness of looking at her fandom, she's forcing Mashiro to choose her. At best she's her former de facto family; ie. room mate, single person to talk to, etc. Someone which one would be happy to see, but at the same time, not necessarily too close. Hence the hug, and prompt door to the face.
I actually agree with you on the matter of how we see thinsg differently from the episode. The bullet points you made above, I honestly don't see Rita in any of those above.

And sorry, but I don't like the way you worded Rita's intention (or action). It just makes it sound so bad imo. It is in truth we still don't have the whole picture of Rita's motive yet, so I don't want make a claim. For me, now that I thought about it, there's a hint to the fear factor in Rita's action. Ultimately, I think she's just afraid that Mashiro will let go off the paint brush forever, given her talent, she is worried about that, and she went out out of her way genuinely because she cares for Mashiro and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm a bit upset that people just don't see her caring side, but instead just judge and doubt her intentions/actions. I think a lot of people here just taking it for granted, but coming herself all the way to Japan from the UK is actually not that small of a deal financially, physically and emontionally (I came to UK to study as well, so trust me on this). For a person to go that far, I just find it is really hard to call that person not genuine.

I just think that Rita just wishes to see Mashiro paint and be successful in her life then be happy, that's just simply the way she believes so. I don't think Rita tries to do this for the world, but for Mashiro (maybe a bit of her own self-satisfaction as well), It just her own way of caring for her. Convincing her to going back to London is just a simple solution Rita came up to supress that fear I said above. If Mashiro can show a bit of compromise and tell Rita that will continue fine art seriously even in Japan and Sakurasou. I think it would play out very differently and Mashiro would not even need to go back to London.

If you have impression that Rita flirting with Sorata is forcing Shiina to go back, then sorry, I personally don't even take that whole thing seriously. For me it's just a harmless prank she played on both Mashiro and Sorata (admitedly they are quite fun to tease). I mean when Shiina confronted Rita near the end about her sleeping in Sorata's room, Rita let it go quite easily imo, if she really wants to take advantage of Sorata being Mashiro's weakness, she would have done it differently.

Adn when she took the folks to the gallery, that is just one basic trick of persuasion, to get more people on her side, that way she can convince Mashiro more easily. We do this all the time in real life, wisdom of the crowd, as always.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Rita is necesarilly lying here, and even if she is there's obviously truth in what she's saying, but Rita is not the art world, her views are simplistic at best. Listening to Rita is not synonymous with listening to "the world", it's just Rita, and what Rita wants.
I never said Rita is the art world, nor the world. What you said is exactly right, it's just what Rita wants, and she have right to express that to Mashiro so Mashiro can understand it, given I don't doubt Rita being close enough to Mashiro to do that. Mashiro still has the final call for her decision (that final call would be when Rita has to go back). But the problem is right now is Mashiro showing no sign of understanding nor empathy, Rita has no idea if she got her message to Mashiro, therefore she have to keep trying. If she could turn back and say "I understand you Rita, but I want to stay here in Japn to draw manga, because..." or similar, things would be very different. When you are silent, it can imply lots of things, not just disagreement.

Quote:
With regard to your last point, about how if at first, and second you don't succeed, "try harder", in my views that's considered extremely disrespectful and rude; especially when it's something the other person has no claim on. The whole cartoony "universal simplification theory" of one's life, morals, and values, is also not part of the values I was brought up with. People are not just these amercan movie stereotypes.
I'm talking from my experience, believe it or not, it can be like that. There're lots of way to convince people, talking is just the basic and it can work fine. If you do truly believe in what you do, you can always find that there's a lot of approachs to persuasion.

You can always ignore others and go on with your life. It still can work out that way too, but for me it is just not ideal. I want to do thinsg I love with the blessing of the people who cares for me.

Quote:
Mashiro already answered this. She chose Sakurasou, therefore there should be no doubt which is (relationship wise) more important. And from the dialog it would seem Rita had alone-time with Mashiro for at least a year, so for it to be so bad they would avoid each other one would assume Rita wasn't "looking out for Mashiro's well being" until recently; the counter posibility being Mashiro is a total heartless bitch—and we got plenty of proof that's not true.
Why does she choose Sakurasou? Why is it important?

Why Sakurasou is more important than the life she had lived comfortably in London?

Why Sakurasou is more important than using her talent to be successful in life?

Do you feel happy in Sakurasou? If so, why? What is it in London that we lack?

Those would be my answer for Mashiro if I were Rita, I think I would need to hear the answer from Mashiro's lips, not somebody else telling me.

And I'm sorry, but I don't get your part about them avoiding each other or Rita did looking out for Mashira bit.
__________________

Last edited by Zavie; 2012-12-06 at 22:16.
Zavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 01:49   Link #218
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
However, I really don't see how there's any reason in the series so far to believe Rita is real "family" for Mashiro, or even that friendly with her. These are the semantics I see,
  • It wasn't "Mashiro, leave Sakurasou, and come back to your family in England."

  • Nor was it, "Mashiro, leave your manga, and come back to your worried friends over in England."

  • And not even a, "Mashiro, come back to England, *I* need you, and *I* am worried about you."

  • What it was was, "Mashiro, leave your friends at Sakurasou, all the hard work you've put in, your manga, and abandon Japan (along with your current life) because a lot of strangers want you to paint back home in England, and you're worthless with out them."

You then have (the very quick) scheming, plotting and meddling.
So basically you rigged the interpretation of Rita's actions under an assumption which might be completely wrong. Isn't this a bit too early to throw around "scheming, plotting and meddling" accusations?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 02:10   Link #219
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
I have pretty much lost track of what this thread is discussing about...
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 03:27   Link #220
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Why does she choose Sakurasou? Why is it important?

Why Sakurasou is more important than the life she had lived comfortably in London?

Why Sakurasou is more important than using her talent to be successful in life?

Do you feel happy in Sakurasou? If so, why? What is it in London that we lack?

Those would be my answer for Mashiro if I were Rita, I think I would need to hear the answer from Mashiro's lips, not somebody else telling me.
If you were Rita, but did Rita actually ask any of those questions? Did she leave the impression she actually cared about any of that? Or did she simply barge in with a Demand that Mashiro goes back to England, right now, while displaying complete disregard for Mashiro's feelings on the question? Disregarding to an extent it didn't even seem to matter enough to her to bring it up?

I'm sorry, but Rita's motivations are very much in question here, and one can not in good conscience claim any sort of consideration for Mashiro's well being to be a major driving force of her actions. The episode didn't show anything of the sort. The episode didn't show consideration for Mashiro's feelings even being on the radar, as far as Rita is concerned. (Though I get that some people don't consider that as actually important over here.)

No, I don't believe Rita is there because of honest Altruism and concern over Mashiro. She's concerned about Mashiro's talent as a painter, for whatever reason, not Mashiro as a person. That's the impression I got of her, and I honestly don't see the episode contradicting that in its portrayal of Rita. Scheming and underhanded, while a bit strong choice of words, is exactly how she acted. First she tried to impose her will upon Mashiro, and when that didn't work, instead of actually making even a pretense of attempt to understand why Mashiro feels the way she does about remaining here where she is, she's attempting a backdoor entry through Sorata by trying to pull what appears as the local support rug from under Mashiro's feet, in a bit to add even more external pressure to Mashiro.

Yes, the slammed door in her face was honestly what she deserved, though it is likely to take a while for the rest to catch on, as Mashiro has been shown herself to be a better judge of character than those around her. Rita didn't arrive as a concerned friend. Well, she may be concerned, but she's not concerned about Mashiro. That she is in Japan simply shows how far she is willing to go to achieve her goal of having Mashiro returned to England and back to painting.

Why she feels so strongly on the issue we will have to wait to find out, but no doubt has to do with Mashiro having "broken her" and Rita no longer painting again. Probably because she felt inferior next to Mashiro and proceeded to live through her paintings as Mashiro's roommate and "friend", and now she can't accept that Mashiro has possibly moved on and left Rita empty handed. There's likely more to it than that, but implications seem to point to things around those lines. We will probably have Rita cracked open before this arc is over and will know for sure, but I find it quite implausible that altruism tops the list of her reasoning for being here. Like everyone else she is there for her own needs, wrapped up in a package that she is doing it for the betterment of the art world, to make it an easier sell. But actually caring for Mashiro, as opposed to Mashiro's talent? No, the episode didn't leave that impression.
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.