AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Chuunibyou

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-11-04, 03:37   Link #21
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I wonder how long it would be before someone corrupts her name in to Nikutani....
You just did But unlike the Niku Prime, Nibutani isn't associated by her assets, but rather her hairpin
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 03:57   Link #22
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
You just did But unlike the Niku Prime, Nibutani isn't associated by her assets, but rather her hairpin
I believe she's the most stacked of all the cast... and her real self can be quite abrasive....
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 04:18   Link #23
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boyzone
A summary:

Rikka -> eyepatch
Nibutani -> hairclip
Kumin -> pillow
Dekomori -> sandbags
Touka -> ladle

It's like a wacky version of Hidamari Sketch. It's also a sign of good character design that the characters can be told apart like this.
__________________
            |
   \  ( ^p^ )/
      ̄ ̄ /
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 11:08   Link #24
Arturia Polaris
Ponytail Sommelier
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Argentina
Kumin came dangerously close to that conclusion saying that she's actually chubbier than she looks

*looks to the sides*

Arty
__________________
Arturia's Writing Den

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 16:39   Link #25
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
I've really warmed up to Shinka (starting from the Lite 6 duel with Dekomori). Her antics really drive a lot of the show.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 10:07   Link #26
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
For me, Shinka is the most fascinating character in the cast. Precisely because of how much her character develops and transitions.

I find myself asking "What's the mask, and what isn't?" about Shinka in much the same way I ask such questions about Clark Kent/Superman and Bruce Wayne/Batman.

So here we have Shinka Nibutani/"Mori Summer".


I think that "Mori Summer" is a reflection of the romance idealist lying at Shinka's core. As "Mori Summer", Shinka gave full vent to that. However, that ended up causing her all sorts of extreme embarrassment. She hence became jaded about her previous romance idealism, and embraced a "more adult" approach to romance and sex. At the same time, though, she wanted to develop a persona that would ensure others admire her and respect her, to fully get over the embarrassment of the past.

So she became the perfectly sweet and perfectly responsible class rep that we saw in Episodes 1 through 3. Maintaining that perfect image is stressful, though, so she finds a good outlet for the stress in the other members of Rikka's club. They already know about her embarrassing past, so she feels no need to maintain the perfect image around them.

By Episode 9, the positive psychological benefits of having that outlet has resulted in a more balanced Shinka - Not the perfectly sweet girl of Episodes 1 through 3, but nor the very abrasive girl of Episodes 4 through 8.

Shinka has moved beyond the extremes to a more well-rounded whole. And in so doing, she has, like Yuuta, allowed herself to indulge a bit in her past chuunibyou persona (by playing matchmaker for Yuuta and Rikka, and using a shoujo manga to do it).


And yes, I do think she has a strong sense of personal responsibility, which comes through each of her conceptions of self.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 17:56   Link #27
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
For me, Shinka is the most fascinating character in the cast. Precisely because of how much her character develops and transitions.

I find myself asking "What's the mask, and what isn't?" about Shinka in much the same way I ask such questions about Clark Kent/Superman and Bruce Wayne/Batman.

So here we have Shinka Nibutani/"Mori Summer".


I think that "Mori Summer" is a reflection of the romance idealist lying at Shinka's core. As "Mori Summer", Shinka gave full vent to that. However, that ended up causing her all sorts of extreme embarrassment. She hence became jaded about her previous romance idealism, and embraced a "more adult" approach to romance and sex. At the same time, though, she wanted to develop a persona that would ensure others admire her and respect her, to fully get over the embarrassment of the past.

So she became the perfectly sweet and perfectly responsible class rep that we saw in Episodes 1 through 3. Maintaining that perfect image is stressful, though, so she finds a good outlet for the stress in the other members of Rikka's club. They already know about her embarrassing past, so she feels no need to maintain the perfect image around them.

By Episode 9, the positive psychological benefits of having that outlet has resulted in a more balanced Shinka - Not the perfectly sweet girl of Episodes 1 through 3, but nor the very abrasive girl of Episodes 4 through 8.

Shinka has moved beyond the extremes to a more well-rounded whole. And in so doing, she has, like Yuuta, allowed herself to indulge a bit in her past chuunibyou persona (by playing matchmaker for Yuuta and Rikka, and using a shoujo manga to do it).


And yes, I do think she has a strong sense of personal responsibility, which comes through each of her conceptions of self.
Yes, I think it's a very nice character progression, and she also becomes a useful narrative device, because she has the most emotional maturity of the cast and can explain to both the series' characters and the audience what exactly is going on between Rikka and Yuuta. I much prefer the writers having made her a matchmaker and narrator, as opposed to a contrived rival to Rikka in a poorly executed love triangle. Indeed, at one point, it looked like she would become purely comic relief from the perpetual fights with Dekomori, but the writers thankfully managed to save her from that fate. And her recent evolution also brings her more in line with the light novel character.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 17:45   Link #28
Sakanaka Shouko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Mori Summer is, undoubtely, the most dynamic character in the cast. I like her.
__________________
Sakanaka Shouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 20:46   Link #29
sky black swordman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
I can't, help but agree with what was posted above.

But I was hoping for some DFM X Mori Summer.
__________________
Date A Live -Tohka Yatogami
sky black swordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 11:28   Link #30
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
But I was hoping for some DFM X Mori Summer.
I actually thought we'd have a bit of that, but I think it's just as well.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 05:10   Link #31
frivolity
My posts are frivolous
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 25
Her character and role in the story reminds me a lot of Kawashima Ami, except without an ounce of attraction for the male lead. Even the comforting part is there, with Dekomori taking the role of Minori.

Edit: Eh, didn't read the first post >__>
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 05:17   Link #32
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
If she gets a scene where she acts MOE.. will be the day I'll die....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 10:45   Link #33
n120cky
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I do like Shinka character design her personality and even her dynamite body .
Her nick name Mori Summer is heard as Mori-sama (as honorific) in Japanese but I don't think this is coincident . . .
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 14:54   Link #34
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 37
I already stated that Shinka was quickly growing on me, but now I'm actually starting to like her to the degree that she'll probably be my favorite of the group when this show is over. She's gone to great lengths to help her friends, and for that she has gained my utmost respect.
__________________
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 21:55   Link #35
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
I do like Shinka character design her personality and even her dynamite body .
Her nick name Mori Summer is heard as Mori-sama (as honorific) in Japanese but I don't think this is coincident . . .
Nope, it is "distinct", as the second a (アー) is a long sound. Reading summer (サマー) isn't the same as 様 (さま=> サマ) even if the subtle difference is harder with quickly spoken speeches.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.