AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-15, 23:44   Link #25261
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
I'm still confused why people let the Westboro crowd gets to them.

Isn't it obvious they're trolling for the publicity? If anything I'm less concerned about the things they say to rile up people and more on the cult aspect which thrives on a sort of us-vs-them (them being the general public) attitude, and the unfortunate individuals trapped in that brainwashing cult.

It is much more worrying when people in power, and people from whom you actually expect some common decency, spout terrible beliefs. Judges with cavalier attitudes to rape, the average voter and the Muslim Atheist Obama, US Congress people on science committees with "interesting" notions of what counts as science...
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 23:50   Link #25262
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I'm still confused why people let the Westboro crowd gets to them.

Isn't it obvious they're trolling for the publicity? If anything I'm less concerned about the things they say to rile up people and more on the cult aspect which thrives on a sort of us-vs-them (them being the general public) attitude, and the unfortunate individuals trapped in that brainwashing cult.

It is much more worrying when people in power, and people from whom you actually expect some common decency, spout terrible beliefs. Judges with cavalier attitudes to rape, the average voter and the Muslim Atheist Obama, US Congress people on science committees with "interesting" notions of what counts as science...
I blame the newsmakers for sensationalising on their actions. If they are not fed, they would just starve and die.

But noooooooo, there is profit to be made watching people dressed in troll suits fighting an incited platoon of paladins while the lolis are being corrupted with popular media and yaoi......
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 23:58   Link #25263
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
But noooooooo, there is profit to be made watching people dressed in troll suits fighting an incited platoon of paladins while the lolis are being corrupted with popular media and yaoi......

Don't forget to blame Justin Bieber. We need to blame him for all of society's problems.

Edit: I just remembered something, the westboro church once criticized Justin Bieber for being a super star that fails to promote Jesus. Not like the westboro church people know anything about Jesus...
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 00:01   Link #25264
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I just hope Connecticut prevents them from entering the state. I don't know if they can, though. Some other countries have been able to.
Agreed.
I wish there was some type of harrassment law that could keep them away.
The Westboro assholes (I can't be nicer about them, sorry) have absolutely no respect for the community of NewTown.
Those people have suffered enough, their kids aren't even in the ground yet, and these bastards want to spew their hatred.
It makes me sick because I think the WestBoro cult does this for the publicity more than anything else.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 00:01   Link #25265
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Don't forget to blame Justin Bieber. We need to blame him for all of society's problems.
And that. I think that media personalities should recognise the impact their actions has on society and seek to be better people wherever there is a camera rolling. Like the Beatles....they are pretty concerned about how they are influencing youngsters with their image.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 00:07   Link #25266
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Don't forget to blame Justin Bieber. We need to blame him for all of society's problems.
Wait... are you trying to say he's not!!??
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 00:17   Link #25267
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Agreed.
I wish there was some type of harrassment law that could keep them away.
The Westboro assholes (I can't be nicer about them, sorry) have absolutely no respect for the community of NewTown.
Those people have suffered enough, their kids aren't even in the ground yet, and these bastards want to spew their hatred.
It makes me sick because I think the WestBoro cult does this for the publicity more than anything else.
They do do it for the publicity.

I think they really do consider them Christians (although they are so terrible at it, that they absolutely aren't Christians), but anyway, I think they identify as Christians and are pious (but aren't righteous or good and don't really know anything about 'Christ love'), and the point I'm getting at is...they bring so much suffering into the world, and I don't understand how they think they have God's favor. I really think they somehow believe things with them and God are good. They've got to be so delusional to think that God thinks they are good when they are causing anger, hatred, despair, and ugly emotions in people at funerals where they are mourning the loss of loved ones, and then also on top of that causing suffering by provoking people and then suing them and taking thousands of dollars from them.

They just aren't right in the head if they think they can do that every week for about two decades and then think the God of the Christian religion would somehow like them. The way they hate so many people, condemn so many people, the way they treat others, exploit others (suing those they provoke very much, and for thousands of dollars), the way they bring so much disharmony and suffering into the world...none of that pleases the Christian God. In fact, God hates all of that. That kind of stuff only pleases the lord of evil...the westboro church people don't align with Jesus and Yahweh, they align with the lord of evil. And it is pretty fair to say that when even the KKK thinks they are really bad.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 00:40   Link #25268
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
the Westboro bunch are basically offline trolls.

Shun them and they will go away.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 00:55   Link #25269
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
The Westboro people love not only to disrupt funerals with their hateful demonstrations, but also the public anger and ridicule directed at them. No doubt they draw parallels from the early church history, when christians were persecuted by the Jews and at times Romans. They believe they are the modern equivalence of the early disciples, the few who remain devoted to God through all kinds of hardship and persecution. The Bible tells Christians that the world hates them, and to be joyful when persecuted, for they are suffering for God and will be rewarded in heaven. All the insults on them just match perfectly for their view of the world.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 00:59   Link #25270
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the Westboro bunch are basically offline trolls.

Shun them and they will go away.

A better way to make them go away is to tie them up and send them off to Iran. I'm sure the Iranian officials would just love them. I'm sure they'd treat them well. Okay, of course, not really.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 01:02   Link #25271
flying ^
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
They're one Fatwah away from hiding like lil insects if they mess with the muslims
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 01:19   Link #25272
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
The Westboro people love not only to disrupt funerals with their hateful demonstrations, but also the public anger and ridicule directed at them. No doubt they draw parallels from the early church history, when christians were persecuted by the Jews and at times Romans. They believe they are the modern equivalence of the early disciples, the few who remain devoted to God through all kinds of hardship and persecution. The Bible tells Christians that the world hates them, and to be joyful when persecuted, for they are suffering for God and will be rewarded in heaven. All the insults on them just match perfectly for their view of the world.

Well, of course, they are delusional. Someone should tell them there is also something called the 'New Testament', you know, I don't think they've ever heard of it before.

Really, though, the leaders of that westboro cult really zone in on some passages of the Bible here and there but it is like they keep reading over every single passage that proclaims or teaches people about God's love and compassion and goodness and how he wants us to emulate those things the best we can, I mean, it is like they read over every single one of them every time they try and read the Bible. Look, I'm not a model Christian, but all Christians understand that the messages of love and compassion are there and understand that the Bible instructs people to strive to be good and to do good in the world, as in, the very opposite of bringing lots of suffering into the world.

I'm not a model Christian, but I don't understand how the westboro people fail so hard at something so integral to Christianity. Many Christians would argue that, ultimately, love and compassion are the most important things about being a Christian, even beyond faith and piety. And many would argue that because one Bible verse says the three greatest gifts God has given to all human beings are love, faith, and hope, and the Bible explicitly states that love is the greatest gift of all, and also Jesus gives the ultimate commandments, of which there are two: to love God with all your heart and being, and to love your fellow human beings as much as you love yourself (and piecing together things in the Bible, people should love themselves very much [not in a vain, selfish way]).
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 01:42   Link #25273
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Well, of course, they are delusional. Someone should tell them there is also something called the 'New Testament', you know, I don't think they've ever heard of it before.
they are not delusional, at least not the leaders. Like the pastor in Florida, spew some hate and watch the money rolled in.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 01:52   Link #25274
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
they are not delusional, at least not the leaders. Like the pastor in Florida, spew some hate and watch the money rolled in.

If they were doing it only to get money, maybe you could say they aren't delusional and are good con men, but I think that Phelps, the leader of the westboro cult, really identifies himself as a Christian (again, no one should actually call those people Christians), and I think he thinks he and his cult followers are Christians whom God favors. Yeah, really delusional.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 09:29   Link #25275
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Obama to join mourning Connecticut families in search for answers
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BD0U120121216
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 10:44   Link #25276
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42° 10' N (Latitude) 87° 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Quote:
We’re stuck with guns. But…

That doesn't mean we can't ban some, make them a lot harder to get -- and maybe even tax the hell out of them
http://www.salon.com/2012/12/16/what...is_impossible/

The number that strikes me:

Quote:
America is home to 310 million nonmilitary firearms. That’s nearly one gun for every resident of the country, or just about three for each “household.”
With that many weapons lying around... yea... that a crapton of guns lying around.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 10:47   Link #25277
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Patriot missiles in Turkey threaten "world war:" Iran army chief

Quote:
(Reuters) - The planned deployment of NATO Patriot missiles along Turkey's border with Syria could lead to a "world war" that would threaten Europe as well, Iran's military chief of staff was quoted as saying on Saturday.

Turkey asked NATO for the Patriot system, designed to intercept aircraft or missiles, in November to help bolster its border security after repeated episodes of gunfire from war-torn Syria spilling into Turkish territory.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BE07K20121215
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 12:08   Link #25278
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Alongside that article is a link to this:

Nearly four in 10 U.S. residents blame weather catastrophies on end times

Well, at least that is a slightly smaller proportion than the numbers who believe the earth and humans were created from whole cloth in just the past 10,000 years. Watching Marco Rubio dance around this issue has been instructive.

My parents recounted stories of the great hurricane of 1938 that hit the northeast. Seventy-five years later we're still here. I guess these "end times" are a long drawn-out affair.

As for Iran, they see themselves becoming ever more isolated on the world stage. Assad was one of their last remaining friends. Soon they will be left with North Korea and, perhaps, China, though I suspect the Chinese won't be all that supportive in the long run either, especially as they develop more sources of petroleum.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 00:07   Link #25279
PzIVf3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere at Earth
US senator launches bid to ban assault weapons

WASHINGTON: A leading Democratic senator launched a bid Sunday to ban assault weapons in the wake of the latest deadly US school shooting, announcing that she will put a bill before Congress on January 3.

Full Article

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/us-sena...apons-1.187423

Good move
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 00:16   Link #25280
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
US senator launches bid to ban assault weapons

WASHINGTON: A leading Democratic senator launched a bid Sunday to ban assault weapons in the wake of the latest deadly US school shooting, announcing that she will put a bill before Congress on January 3.

Full Article

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/us-sena...apons-1.187423

Good move
Please post this in the gun-control thread, not here.
That way I can pull Dianne's stupid arguments apart.
Thank you.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.