AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-17, 14:02   Link #41
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The argument for removing that information seems to be that somehow people will focus more on the content of the post, instead of on who's writing it.
That's not it (and wasn't how I understood CJ_Walker)

The intent isn't for people to not take into account at all who's writing the post,I strongly doubt people want a 2ch or 4chan system here.

The argument is that post count,reputation and join date are of very little help when trying to get to know a member.

To me location and age are much more helpful and those are optional.
__________________
totoum is offline  
Old 2012-12-17, 14:05   Link #42
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Look, the decision to remove the reputation system was made without consulting popular opinion (no judgment in that statement - it is what it is).
Decisions aren't made in a vacuum. How many threads discussing rep have we had over the years? How much private feedback have we had? How many complaints and praises, strewn about various threads, do you think we've seen? You post as if we suddenly decided to do this with no input, which is hardly the case. We've had plenty of input, and we've been deliberating this for a long time.

Quote:
But what does it matter? The hard reality is that you can't please everyone, and having seen the staff advising some upset members that they might want to seek out a different forum, I believe they've accepted that fact. Once you've accepted that the forum can't be everything to everyone, and once you've decided to make changes that aren't determined by public opinion, knowing full well that some forum members (including the "old ones") will be unhappy, what's really holding you back from making even more changes?
Because change must be balanced. We don't make change for the sake of change. We gather information, deliberate, gather more information, sit on the problem for a bit, deliberate some more, etc. In between all of this is real life commitment which slows things down further.

Quote:
On the topic of scrubbing even more information from underneath a user's avatar, I really don't understand the request. The argument for removing that information seems to be that somehow people will focus more on the content of the post, instead of on who's writing it. As I've mentioned before, this makes me think of forums like 2ch and 4chan, where there's no such thing as a user account: people can use a handle with their posts, but most are anonymous, and nothing prevents multiple people from using the same handle. Is that really what people want?
No one on the staff is suggesting something that extreme.

Quote:
This concern that the personal information somehow gets in the way of discussion really seems like a non-issue. My worry is what effect this drive for "depersonalization" would have on the sense of community in the forum.
You worry too much. We're not going to be stripping people down to username only. However, thanks for demonstrating my point about removing join dates and change in general.
__________________
Solace is offline  
Old 2012-12-17, 17:20   Link #43
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
The argument is that post count,reputation and join date are of very little help when trying to get to know a member.

To me location and age are much more helpful and those are optional.
I appreciate your clarifying the stance on join date. Even though you (and some others) don't particularly value the join date information, I hope that my previous post showed that some people do, and how it can be used. I don't know if I'm alone, or if my opinion makes up a sizable minority, or even a majority; but that doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
You worry too much. We're not going to be stripping people down to username only.
A user (non-staff) suggested doing such a thing, and I am responding to that idea. They had their say for all to see, now I have had mine. You can factor that into forming your own opinion that will invariably influence forum policy at some point in the future.
__________________
Ledgem is offline  
Old 2012-12-17, 17:21   Link #44
Flower
Celestial operations....
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Dilapidated Astronomy Observatory...
For me it really does not make much of a difference whether or no post count (or rep for that matter) is displayed.

I thought that The Fluff summarized my primary angle of consideration on the matter (kudos to you my good sir) and while I could understand some of the possible good (and bad) aspects of either being made public, I personally feel that Fluff's consideration should be the one holding the most weight in this matter.

In other words ... I would rather slowly get to know people on a personal level and decide whether or no to agree or disagree with them. Other things may be helpful, but if it was a situation of "druthers" I would personally rather learn through direct experience rather than go on what others (or statistics) have to say about the people I interact with.
__________________
Flower is online now  
Old 2012-12-18, 12:21   Link #45
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
That's not it (and wasn't how I understood CJ_Walker)

The intent isn't for people to not take into account at all who's writing the post,I strongly doubt people want a 2ch or 4chan system here.

The argument is that post count,reputation and join date are of very little help when trying to get to know a member.

To me location and age are much more helpful and those are optional.
Gender is also helpful. In fact, I've noticed the ladies tend to be annoyed when they are mistaken for a man, displaying the gender of the user in every post would solve that problem. Just a thought.

As for the topic at hand, I'm against displaying post count. Post count doesn't indicate anything other than how much a person participates. It shouldn't be a mark of status. People who post often will probably been known among the community anyway, there's no point in proving you're active with numbers.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 14:47   Link #46
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Gender is also helpful. In fact, I've noticed the ladies tend to be annoyed when they are mistaken for a man, displaying the gender of the user in every post would solve that problem. Just a thought.
Females have a lot of chances getting praise even when a few of them even act a little b**chy. Avatars could make her appear cute.. Well, I'm saying based on experiences in Online games... I even got suitors! Hah!
NoemiChan is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 14:58   Link #47
White Manju Bun
Going to supermarket
*Author
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shibuya Psychic Research
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Gender is also helpful. In fact, I've noticed the ladies tend to be annoyed when they are mistaken for a man, displaying the gender of the user in every post would solve that problem. Just a thought.
Im not! I think it's funny since if you see me post a lot youd know my gender. I always find it funny when people figure it out the first time. I have no problem with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
In other words ... I would rather slowly get to know people on a personal level and decide whether or no to agree or disagree with them. Other things may be helpful, but if it was a situation of "druthers" I would personally rather learn through direct experience rather than go on what others (or statistics) have to say about the people I interact with.
Same. I like that post count isnt displayed and even when I do look at someones profile I rarely look at the count or the join date. I want to see what is listed as their fave anime or what groups they belong too. That gives more insight into a person then how often they post or when they joined. Some people also just like to lurk so they might have a low post count but it doesnt mean theyre not involved.
__________________
Archer - F/SNManju's Stuff
"I will always remember
when the Doctor was me."
- 11th Doctor.

"I am the bone of my sword."
-Archer
White Manju Bun is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 17:08   Link #48
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
The only time I notice the join date is when they've done something completely against the rules or stupid (e.g. Joined Jan 2006, "where's the warez?!"). Then they're my 'extra special hobby'

I'd be okay with gender as a *choice*. Some women/people/whatever prefer to keep that anon since every forum has a few knuckle draggers. But if people were worried about the "he" or "she' thing so much they'd use avatars that reflected. I've lost count of the people who assumed I was a "she" because I use a female avatar. bleee!!!
__________________
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 17:11   Link #49
Flower
Celestial operations....
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Dilapidated Astronomy Observatory...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
...I've lost count of the people who assumed I was a "she" because I use a female avatar. bleee!!!
Now THIS I can relate to.
__________________
Flower is online now  
Old 2012-12-18, 17:29   Link #50
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I subscribe to the theory that on the Internet, men are men, women are men, and children are undercover FBI agents.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 17:48   Link #51
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I subscribe to the theory that on the Internet, men are men, women are men, and children are undercover FBI agents.
Wonder why people use female avatars even though they are men? Because IRL, they can't express themselves how the adore cute girls without being labeled as pedophiles. I'm guilty of that......
NoemiChan is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 17:57   Link #52
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
I guess at some point or another. people need system that show forum veteran.

if this is the case. I believe rep system is better than post number/join date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I subscribe to the theory that on the Internet, men are men, women are men, and children are undercover FBI agents.
yep I still believe in this unleash the post a photo of their face and evidence it is her/him
__________________
RRW is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 18:06   Link #53
Fran
★Debt Collector★
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: "money, money, money...give them to me, please." $_$
Age: 31
well, this is not a DATING site. why should i even bother if they're male or female or FBI agents anyways.
or better yet, please be an ALIEN! that would be awesome.

on-topic: i came from a forum that show your post counts and most of the people there doesnt
really give a damn about it. if you have 10000 posts, no one really cares about it. the post
counts there are just for show. what's important is that the person post quality post and not
just trolling around and post stupid and unhelpful craps.

so if you have like 5000+ posts, but most of them are just about dumb craps, i just ignore you.
what i like is quality post and helpful tips and such; that is what really matters most.

so in the end, having post counts or not doesnt really bothers me. i only look @ what
people post and if they're not just trolling around like a dumb ass stupid idiot. that's all.
__________________
*smile*
Fran is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 18:12   Link #54
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
I guess at some point or another. people need system that show forum veteran.

if this is the case. I believe rep system is better than post number/join date.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
yep I still believe in this unleash the post a photo of their face and evidence it is her/him
Uhmm.. I have big doubts. What if they use their sister's and girlfriend's picture?
NoemiChan is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 18:44   Link #55
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
The women of the Internet are amused, but carry on with the mythology so they can do their missions in secret
__________________
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 19:49   Link #56
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
well, this is not a DATING site. why should i even bother if they're male or female or FBI agents anyways.
I dunno, I mean there's nothing wrong with having a basic sense of curiosity about people you talk to
Dr. Casey is online now  
Old 2012-12-18, 20:27   Link #57
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I dunno, I mean there's nothing wrong with having a basic sense of curiosity about people you talk to
True, but you never really know until you strike up a conversation.
__________________
Solace is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 20:40   Link #58
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I've lost count of the people who assumed I was a "she" because I use a female avatar. bleee!!!
Funny, considering so many people have female avatars on this forum that these individuals must be under the assumption we are in anime Amazonia.

The gender display would be useful for pronouns, but you can always just refer to someone by their username, so that isn't too important.
ChainLegacy is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 22:43   Link #59
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Funny, considering so many people have female avatars on this forum that these individuals must be under the assumption we are in anime Amazonia.

The gender display would be useful for pronouns, but you can always just refer to someone by their username, so that isn't too important.
I never bother to correct them because I think the pronoun choice is irrelevant but usually someone gets all wide-eyed and does it for me.

I just use the third person solution of using their username.
__________________
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-12-19, 01:27   Link #60
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It's funny you mention this. My first reaction is "yeah, why not?".....but then I think about one of the big problems with very old forums, which is the nostalgia that comes from that history. To me, it's frustrating and funny at the same time, as there are some older members who have painted a somewhat rosy picture of the earlier years, even though it's not really as accurate as they remember.

Just look at the responses from the decision to put the rep system on hiatus temporarily, and it's not hard to see why we tend to keep things as status quo for (probably) longer than we should. Truth is, we're very much a site and forum that was built for a somewhat different community than exists today. This makes every notable change all the more difficult to do, as every change (or suggestion of change), no matter how seemingly simple or innocent in intent, becomes controversial.
That's fine I guess, I assume it's something you'll get around to eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
On the topic of scrubbing even more information from underneath a user's avatar, I really don't understand the request. The argument for removing that information seems to be that somehow people will focus more on the content of the post, instead of on who's writing it. As I've mentioned before, this makes me think of forums like 2ch and 4chan, where there's no such thing as a user account: people can use a handle with their posts, but most are anonymous, and nothing prevents multiple people from using the same handle. Is that really what people want?
Again with the 2ch/4ch mention... and why? One of the mods already pointed out Neogaf as an example. I really don't see how having a join date from 2009 on my Neogaf posts would change anything, likewise here. If you're interested in a poster you click on their profile anyway....
Westlo is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.