AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-18, 22:21   Link #301
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Wait, so you saying rep power had nothing to do with rep point 0_o
__________________
RRW is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 22:23   Link #302
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Wait, so you saying rep power had nothing to do with rep point 0_o
I didn't say that either. Everything I said was there for a reason. I won't give any more hints, though, so just read the clues a little bit more carefully. It wouldn't be fun if I gave it away.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 22:32   Link #303
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Under the piercing blue sky
On the topic of ideas to potentially replace the system in the future after the "no system" trial period, I'll just put forward the idea I agreed with in my previous post to prevent it from being completely buried in the middle of the thread:

TL;DR…
 
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

TL;DR: I support a completely neutral version of the feedback system stripped of all points (feedback is basically unweighted), dots, polarity (pos/neg) and anonymity.

Keeps the feedback as just plain feedback. With names attached.

The other major train of thought put forward by others deep into the thread would be a like/dislike system, which I do not agree with because it retains some of the polarity of the old system, and the issues associated with it. I'm also not a fan of the Facebook-ish style of a like/dislike system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
Sounds like a fun puzzle I'll try to crack it and return only once I have something...
I'll be looking forward to your results. I tried asking a very similar question in my last post that was apparently ignored...
__________________
Coldlight is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 22:38   Link #304
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Well, this help me a lot...

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...823#post409823

Quote:
Make friends
As obvious as it is simple. If you tend to stick around here for a while. Why not make some friends? Friends give friends reputation (providing they're not being an asshole). And thanks to the rules, you can't abuse reputation exchanging among 2 members. So be sure to make as much friends as possible.
NoemiChan is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 22:41   Link #305
Xefi
fortified brief
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: "find the joy of life in this worthless hell..."
Age: 31
^ friends. they make your REP go round! :P

EDIT: and oh yeah, when the rep was still around, i just randomly add reps to those that post good posts
or made me laugh so much. i dont really get much rep from others much myself and i notice getting rep was
pretty hard for me since i hardly post much. that and there are just WAYYYYYY to many helpful people on this forum
that my helps wasn't as much needed. so even if i did try to get some rep from others, MANY other users are already
ahead of the game.

so if the rep system got completely removed, i'm totally FINE with it. nya ha! ^ ^
__________________
ExXefi
Wall: 1403
Sig: 729
------
----
Xefizyxen
E---
F--
I-
Xefi is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 22:49   Link #306
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Any chance of adopting the idea of "thank you" or "I like" or "I agree" like other forums have?

Like a certain button on the bottom of the post. etc
__________________
vansonbee is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 22:57   Link #307
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, it's not so complicated... I had 2376 rep points, and would have a rep power of 32 if it were still active today. Statistically speaking, assuming my rep points didn't change, my rep power would jump to 33 in 74 days. When you first join the forum, you start with 10 rep points, but a reputation power of 0. You have access to all the information you need to *basically* calculate the formula (with a minor exception), and the staff are treated no differently than any other member.

See if you can figure it out (particularly without looking up the variables, or getting similar stats from other members).
My guess:

If it's something not too complicated, then perhaps 1 rep power for each year in the forum and 1 rep power for every hundred reputation points.

However, so that new people don't have to wait forever to get a rep point, it's something like 80 days after registering that a new user gets 1 rep power based on time. (and there's a similar lower starting point for rep power based on number of reputation points...)

But that's just a guess. If it's something more complicated, I really can't spend any more time thinking about it...
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes


karice67 is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 23:11   Link #308
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlight View Post
I'll be looking forward to your results. I tried asking a very similar question in my last post that was apparently ignored...
Sorry, at first I wasn't sure if I should give it away... but I changed my mind when I saw it phrased as a chance to make a little contest out of it. I think it's been established by now that, whatever we do, we won't be going back to exactly what we had anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
My guess:

If it's something not too complicated, then perhaps 1 rep power for each year in the forum and 1 rep power for every hundred reputation points.

However, so that new people don't have to wait forever to get a rep point, it's something like 80 days after registering that a new user gets 1 rep power based on time. (and there's a similar lower starting point for rep power based on number of reputation points...)

But that's just a guess. If it's something more complicated, I really can't spend any more time thinking about it...
I don't know if anyone every played the board game "Mastermind"?

You haven't solved the puzzle.

Spoilers
Spoiler for Solution Hint (avoid if you want to keep trying to guess on your own)
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 23:16   Link #309
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Sorry, relentless; I figured out the formula behind Reputation points the very first day I signed up, about twenty minutes after I first registered in fact. That's just what happens when you're the smartest man on AnimeSuki.
Dr. Casey is online now  
Old 2012-12-18, 23:29   Link #310
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't know if anyone every played the board game "Mastermind"?

You haven't solved the puzzle.

Spoilers
Spoiler for Solution Hint (avoid if you want to keep trying to guess on your own)
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Yeah, looking over it, my maths is a bit off (product of having a few too many things on my mind), but I'm not going to keep trying, methinks. I'd guess I'm also finding it trickier than some might because I have little idea what others' rep powers have been in comparison to their green bars...
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes


karice67 is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 23:34   Link #311
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Sorry, relentless; I figured out the formula behind Reputation points the very first day I signed up, about twenty minutes after I first registered in fact. That's just what happens when you're the smartest man on AnimeSuki.
All right, so spill it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I'd guess I'm also finding it trickier than some might because I have little idea what others' rep powers have been in comparison to their green bars...
Part of the problem is that green bars have a ceiling, which I'm pretty sure is 1750 (and it's hard-coded into vBulletin). This is just one of the signs that things were a bit out of whack in terms of rep compared to what the programmers had in mind when they made it.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 23:57   Link #312
ForwardUntoDawn
Operation "sneaky sneaks"
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
Using RelentlessFlame as the example, for the ease of calculation, suppose that RelentlessFlame has a reputation power of 33. From the two variables given, I imagine that there are two factors that come into play here, thus, we can assume that the number of posts does not impact reputation after a user has reached a minimum threshold of some sort.

Register Date Factor: We know that RelentlessFlame has been here for 3369 days, or a little more than 10 years, in 74 days' time. According to the vBulletin Admin manual, users are set so that their reputation power goes up by one point in n days. We set this aside for now.

Reputation Point Factor: This factor means that per every m points of reputation a user has, their power goes up by one point. Similarly, the vBulletin Admin panel allows the admin to set things up such that users gain points by this rule. We recall that RelentlessFlame has 2376 points right now.

We have a two variable equation, with only one equation.

(3369/n) + (2376/m) = 33

I could wait around for another guy to pass me his information, but judging from what we have here, we could use a bit of estimation and simplify things as follows

I) 10 + 23 = 33
II) 3369/n = 10
III) 2376/m = 23

∴ n ≈ 337, m ≈ 100


I therefore conclude, however uncertain I am, that users get one point of reputation power for every 337 days they are a member of this forum, and one point of additional reputation power for every 100 points they gain. Within this in mind, we arrive at the equation:

Reputation power = T + R = (t/337) + (r/100), for T, R ∈ Z+

for time t in days and reputation points r. Thus, if a user has been here for one day and has 10 points of power, by integer division

Reputation power = 0 + 10 = (1/337) + (1/100) = 0

These numbers are very rough and may not be correct If someone else with a known reputation power would step forward, we would have enough variables to solve the system of equations. If there is a third variable (i.e. post count), we'll need a third member with a known reputation power to step forward.
__________________

Last edited by ForwardUntoDawn; 2012-12-19 at 00:08.
ForwardUntoDawn is offline  
Old 2012-12-18, 23:59   Link #313
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Part of the problem is that green bars have a ceiling, which I'm pretty sure is 1750 (and it's hard-coded into vBulletin). This is just one of the signs that things were a bit out of whack in terms of rep compared to what the programmers had in mind when they made it.
LOL...true that. How in the world did some of you collect so many points!?!

For me, it's also that I've had reputation hidden since the start, so I never knew how many points most people - especially those with just a few bars - who rep'd me gave me ...I'd probably have tried figuring it out (roughly) if I'd known...
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes


karice67 is offline  
Old 2012-12-19, 00:05   Link #314
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
I therefore conclude, however uncertain I am, that users get one point of reputation power for every 337 days they are a member of this forum, and one point of additional reputation power for every 100 points they gain.
You haven't solved the puzzle.

Spoilers
Spoiler for Solution Hint (avoid if you want to keep trying to guess on your own)
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

So here's another hint: Assuming Vexx had 3000 rep points (again, I made it up), his rep power today would be 39. (Bonus points if you connect this to the hint I left before.)
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline  
Old 2012-12-19, 00:11   Link #315
ForwardUntoDawn
Operation "sneaky sneaks"
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
I have a feeling it somehow ties date together with points. Sadly, I'll have to let someone else pick up the pieces for now: I just wrapped up an iOS Game for a project, and I'm dead tired
__________________
ForwardUntoDawn is offline  
Old 2012-12-19, 00:28   Link #316
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
There could be a difference, but it depends entirely on tone. You can dislike someone else's favourite show utterly, but still not be disrespectful towards those who enjoy it. It requires a certain amount of tact and consideration that, frankly, some people just don't care to show.

For example, some people believe that if I only direct my insults at the production staff (for example, call the director or writer an incompetent hack in the most insulting, direct way possible) that this is all "fair game" because they're not insulting someone in the room. That is such narrow, narrow thinking. Do you really not think that someone else should not feel offended just because they're not the one being personally attacked? Frankly, this behaviour is offensive even if you don't care at all about the show in question. I've seen people post that they hope a director gets hit by a bus (because of how much they dislike his or her work), and then try to defend this as if it isn't insulting. Unreal.

That's just one example of many I could give. If you can't be at least be respectful towards the work you're criticising (no matter how much you can't stand it), then you're not respectful in general. How am I really supposed to believe that this arrogance doesn't extend to the fans who may legitimately enjoy the work? Like "oh, I just lambasted this show for being utter sh*t, but that doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion!" Really? Really? Give me a break... (Most of the time, it's actually "I'll respect if your opinion if you can prove that my opinion is wrong". As if that's possible for subjective taste...)

Anyway, that's another tangent.
Well, most things depend on tone. I feel some people might get carried away. Personally, the more I realize a show isn't going to work for me, the less I'm going to talk about it. Nobody wants to hear the same shit over and over again, and I usually figure out what the point of that is.

I do understand that if someone is just throwing hate spewed stuff that it's not really a rational argument. You can reason why the show is subpar according to your expectations or why you believe these people shouldn't handle the anime. It's extremely hard to make a logical argument about why these people should die in a grease fire. It's really not based on reason on that point.

I will say that some people need to let go. After all, if you were to wake up every day and have someone wake you up with "This anime/studio/staff is the work of the devil", you'd be in a pretty bad mood in a hurry.



Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post

I'll be honest with you: I have a lot more respect for someone who wilfully pushes the limits and doesn't complain when they get caught, then someone who pushes the limits all the time but still throws a temper tantrum for anyone daring to call them on it ("How could I possibly have done anything wrong?! Haven't you ever heard of freedom of speech?! Why didn't you infract this other guy that I deem equally responsible?! It's so unfair!!").
I do too. I disagree with a lot of moderation actions on every board I've been on, but I'm strong believer in reaping what you sow and if usually I got mod-owned, I typically have to examine my own behavior instead of throwing a gigantic temper tantrum like the world owes me. That doesn't mean I agree, but even someone as immature as me that laughs at every perverted joke has to conduct themselves like an adult once in a while.

It's funny. Some people deliberately try to induce reactions and then whine about neg reps, or even throw neg reps themselves at people. I don't get that at all. Both situations are the same to me. I ask "what did you expect?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I think...I apologize, I shouldn't have made a discussion about one member. The same applies to Reckoner, we're not here to put people on trial. We really should try to get back on topic...

@Archon_Wing: Nah, when people have a problem with ISML, they have no problem actually posting on the thread about it, saying how it's just bots voting.

@relentlessflame: I see. It would certainly imply some wrongdoing is happening if that were to happen.
Yea that's just my point. One person is just one person and just a part of any greater issue. Putting people on trial will not lead to meaningful discussion.

And regardless of what I believe, ISML is by and far the best saimoe tournament... if only by default.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is online now  
Old 2012-12-19, 00:50   Link #317
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Suggestion for changes for me is simple: no rep but allow comments. If people REALLY want good posts to be highlighted then use a FB "like this comment" system though I assure you netizens will somehow abuse that too.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline  
Old 2012-12-19, 00:55   Link #318
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
ahem

Well my point wasn't for people to expect that every post I write is somehow hate spewing nonsense or something, just that I could speak my mind, sometimes even if it's very unpopular, and I never received significant damage to my reputation. I'm well into the green and that I think demonstrates that the system really wasn't so terrible to people who wanted to speak their minds. theFluff just showcases my point in an even more ridiculously hilarious way.

In the end, the reason I support the abolishing of the system is simply because I think a lot of people are too immature to handle it in the way it was meant to be, a senseless game. Thus it creates too much work for the moderators to deal with the whiners and it'd probably be better off for them and those people that the system just doesn't exist.
Reckoner is offline  
Old 2012-12-19, 01:01   Link #319
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Suggestion for changes for me is simple: no rep but allow comments. If people REALLY want good posts to be highlighted then use a FB "like this comment" system though I assure you netizens will somehow abuse that too.
The system I proposed, however, doesn't allow good posts to be highlighted. It would work like a thanks/like system, EXCEPT you have to hover over an area to see it. This means that one can scroll down the thread and not be distracted by posts that stand out.

I think it's a good compromise anyways. People won't judge a post by its amount of likes (it's not visible) except if they manage to somehow force themselves to hover over every single post in that thread. And for the posters themselves, they can get good feedback without people spamming one-liners.
KholdStare is offline  
Old 2012-12-19, 01:04   Link #320
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, most things depend on tone. I feel some people might get carried away. Personally, the more I realize a show isn't going to work for me, the less I'm going to talk about it. Nobody wants to hear the same shit over and over again, and I usually figure out what the point of that is.

I do understand that if someone is just throwing hate spewed stuff that it's not really a rational argument. You can reason why the show is subpar according to your expectations or why you believe these people shouldn't handle the anime. It's extremely hard to make a logical argument about why these people should die in a grease fire. It's really not based on reason on that point.

I will say that some people need to let go. After all, if you were to wake up every day and have someone wake you up with "This anime/studio/staff is the work of the devil", you'd be in a pretty bad mood in a hurry.
TL;DR…
Tangent
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
forum, reputation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.