AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-20, 15:43   Link #25361
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
In other words, "because I say so" doesn't work.
If you say I am the only one that says usage of firearms protocols is different all over the world for police (and therefore, civilian life) and soldiers (and therefore, war), I will take your word for it.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 16:30   Link #25362
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Assertion without support ... debate fail. Thanks for playing.

In other words, "because I say so" doesn't work.
I think he's saying that guns and shields are different, in that a shield prevents you from being injured, but can't injure another person, while a gun cannot directly prevent you from being injured, but can only be used to kill another person or threaten to kill another person.

It's a qualitative difference.

Shields aren't weapons, but rather armour, and the two terms have different implications.

For instance, if you are afraid of being shot, it's reasonable to wear a bullet proof vest, but a gun won't prevent you getting shot.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 16:47   Link #25363
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Except you can bludgeon someone with a shield, and having a gun can save your life. Either by scaring you potential enemy into not attacking at all, or in running him off after he's attacked, or, yes, in hurting the other guy first.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 17:01   Link #25364
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I think he's saying that guns and shields are different, in that a shield prevents you from being injured, but can't injure another person, while a gun cannot directly prevent you from being injured, but can only be used to kill another person or threaten to kill another person.

It's a qualitative difference.

Shields aren't weapons, but rather armour, and the two terms have different implications.

For instance, if you are afraid of being shot, it's reasonable to wear a bullet proof vest, but a gun won't prevent you getting shot.
They're both tools to mitigate threat from a tactical standpoint. A gun mitigates a threat from someone planning harm to you who discovers you aren't defenseless. A shield, as Anh says, *is* a weapon in sword and shield combat. This is what I'm talking about when I say people should understand the topic before trying to write rules (or make blanket assertions).

I'm all for mitigating the circumstances that create the violence we're seeing. I don't see any point in "feel good" solutions that aren't actually solutions ... or in fact make things worse.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 17:02   Link #25365
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
THIS. Prevention should be immediate; better to nip the problem in the bud than never.
This, as well as social and economic problems (poverty, the war on drugs, lack of social safety nets) are the real cause of gun violence in America.

I mean, look at Switzerland. Males are required by law to retain an automatic rifle as part of their militia service, and after their service is done, many opt to have it converted to a semi automatic in order to keep it, many of whom do. It's one of the most gun prolific nations in the world. And despite this, Switzerland has a lower homicide rate than the United Kingdom.

The main reason for this is because Switzerland has a high overall, across the board standard of living, and good social safety nets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm sorry but that's a resort to dictionary assertion and anyone familiar with military tactics will tell you a shield is a weapon. It makes you sound like you don't really know the topic.
Indeed.

Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 18:15   Link #25366
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
The Unequal State of America: Why America is more unequal than most
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BJ0J520121220

The Undeserving Poor
http://www.reuters.com/subjects/inco...uality/indiana
__________________

ganbaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 19:23   Link #25367
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Reported sex assaults leap 23 percent at US military academies

Quote:
Sexual assaults reported by women at military academies rose by 23 per cent in a year across all three U.S. military branches, according to a Pentagon report.


The number of reported sexual assaults rose from 65 in 2021 to 80 during 2012 at the Army's West Point, and the Air Force and Naval Academies.
Sexual assault is defined as everything from "groping"
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...academies?lite
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 19:26   Link #25368
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Rose from 65 in 2021 to 80 during 2012? Time travelers!
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 19:41   Link #25369
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Rose from 65 in 2021 to 80 during 2012? Time travelers!
yeah I also realize that but not bother to fixed it (it supposed to be 2011 i think)
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 22:12   Link #25370
flying ^
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
NEW 2012 IIHS crash test results...

... you might wanna skip out on mosrt popular Toyota models this year.

flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 22:34   Link #25371
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Meh...I generally favor Subaru cars myself...Toyota's overrated
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 07:16   Link #25372
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Analysis: Allies to lose socialist patron if Venezuela's Chavez goes
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BK07420121221
__________________

ganbaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 11:05   Link #25373
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Why We Got Facebook And Not Mars Colonies

I think Vexx would shed tears after reading this. As much as Farrell is a doomsayer of Marketwatch, I think what he highlighted is pretty crucial - investors are looking too much into short-term gains.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 11:08   Link #25374
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Why We Got Facebook And Not Mars Colonies

I think Vexx would shed tears after reading this. As much as Farrell is a doomsayer of Marketwatch, I think what he highlighted is pretty crucial - investors are looking too much into short-term gains.
Facebook != short-term gains ..

And don't get me started on Amazon.. http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...eeping_on.html -- They are what you call bad investments. Same thing with exploding space shuttles and the titanic. Let's see where money gets directed when you find a big meteorite floating within travel distance that is made up >50% of gold ..
__________________
Nyaaaan~~
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 11:45   Link #25375
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Facebook != short-term gains ..

And don't get me started on Amazon.. http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...eeping_on.html -- They are what you call bad investments. Same thing with exploding space shuttles and the titanic. Let's see where money gets directed when you find a big meteorite floating within travel distance that is made up >50% of gold ..
What I meant by long-term gains is something that is able to develop another investment opportunity or offshoot in the future, like the old typewriter companies who end up building printers, etc.

Facebook IS in fact a short term gain, I don't see it developing any new usesable groundbreaking technology other than as an automated communications interface, in the future.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 13:11   Link #25376
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Unless it is used to focus subspace communications for instant Facebook wih Mars Colony.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 13:32   Link #25377
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
nothing drives innovation like the need to instantly update everyone across the solar system on what you just ate and who you just friend/unfriended.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 16:59   Link #25378
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Facebook != short-term gains ..

And don't get me started on Amazon.. http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...eeping_on.html -- They are what you call bad investments. Same thing with exploding space shuttles and the titanic. Let's see where money gets directed when you find a big meteorite floating within travel distance that is made up >50% of gold ..
Amazon's anomalous existence only hurts the giant corporate machine--I approve. Anything to shake things up in the status-quo-addicted business world earns a gold star from me.

Amazon was directly responsible for the democratization of Android tablets--they're the reason $200 7-inch tabs are a thing now. Amazon and Google together are responsible for driving down the overall price of smartphones thanks to the $200 Kindle Fire, the $350 Galaxy Nexus and $300 Nexus 4. Because of this massive shakeup in the mobile industry, the iron grip that carriers like AT&T and Verizon have on the market is slipping.

T-Mobile already announced it's doing away with handset subsidies, and with its purchase of MetroPCS is poised to become much more influential in the market than it ever has. Prices of flagship devices and iPhones might remain in the $500 range, but the Nexus 4 is a beast of a smartphone that easily kicks the ass of any other flagship device out there for $350 ($300 if you don't mind 8GB of internal storage and use the cloud).

Democratization of products and services only helps the consumer in any sort of run. I don't buy the complaints that cheaper goods will cause the markets to implode--that stinks of "right to profit" Koch brothers and Enron-style nonsense that caused us to get into this mess in the first place.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 17:04   Link #25379
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
^ My point is that Amazon doesn't make any money. Never has and likely never will -- so people who invested in Amazon, at least for the long-term, are foolish. Greater fool theory at work I suppose, whoever ends up holding the stock when the music stops..
__________________
Nyaaaan~~
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 17:18   Link #25380
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
^ My point is that Amazon doesn't make any money. Never has and likely never will -- so people who invested in Amazon, at least for the long-term, are foolish. Greater fool theory at work I suppose, whoever ends up holding the stock when the music stops..
Aha, that is very true--Amazon's profits are so razor-thin that nobody will really make money off them without resorting to "creative accounting."
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.