AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-23, 18:38   Link #25401
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Retracing my steps.....
That's pathetic. Seriously. I regret not finishing college because being a house painter kinda blows, but that's just not enough money for the amount of loans one needs to pay back.
__________________
"Do what I do in every friendship and relationship, give 5%" - Ron Bennington
TooPurePureBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 18:57   Link #25402
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Things are pretty ok for system engineers, though. Especially as a $25k debt with a $60k is a lot less painful than a $15k debt on a $30k salary. Let alone a $25k debt on a $25k salary...
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 19:24   Link #25403
Zakoo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gensokyo
On this day, chemistry didn't exist anymore.

Now I'm sad.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 19:52   Link #25404
flying ^
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
The top 4?

... meh

The top 4 looks inflated... will be "corrected" by the market in the near future as we can always get more low-cost, top notch "import" talents. Extra bonus if 113th congress can pass an immigration bill that includes more visa and green card slots for STEM degree holders.
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 20:24   Link #25405
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 37
http://www.philstar.com/breaking-new...medium=twitter

Whether it's a bakery or a rebel gathering his thugs have hit, I think Assad is really insane.
__________________
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 20:41   Link #25406
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Master's degrees are the new bachelor's degrees.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 21:04   Link #25407
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
how did biology wind up at the worth less then ethnic studies? of course it does explain why i am selling inusrance when i study genetics.
A massive glut of post-docs working at slave wages with no advancement prospects doing mundane but very important things in the labs. Biology has it worst, as I recall.

The scientists are more pissed off than us Liberal Arts. At least we know what we're getting into ("I like reading and fuck you, capitalism") whereas they are repeatedly told by the world at large from the President down that we need more scientists, more more moar, upon which after a decade of intense dedication it appears there are more biologists than there are jobs for them in academia, and the system is rigged so that they are just about as replaceable as Walmart employees, because there's always a new generation of suckers to replace them. The old "lab technician" (a capable, long-term staff scientist who doesn't want to lead and manage projects, and face it who really wants to do that?) doesn't really exist anymore in academia.

Engineers are always in demand; IT always has new frontiers coming up (website design overstuffed? Medical IT is in desperate need of new people right now, especially with Obamacare soon in effect, and they have deep pockets); mathematicians can probably make money on the stock market, if they're desperate and inventive enough (lol). What's a biologist to do?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 21:40   Link #25408
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
A massive glut of post-docs working at slave wages with no advancement prospects doing mundane but very important things in the labs. Biology has it worst, as I recall.

The scientists are more pissed off than us Liberal Arts. At least we know what we're getting into ("I like reading and fuck you, capitalism") whereas they are repeatedly told by the world at large from the President down that we need more scientists, more more moar, upon which after a decade of intense dedication it appears there are more biologists than there are jobs for them in academia, and the system is rigged so that they are just about as replaceable as Walmart employees, because there's always a new generation of suckers to replace them. The old "lab technician" (a capable, long-term staff scientist who doesn't want to lead and manage projects, and face it who really wants to do that?) doesn't really exist anymore in academia.

Engineers are always in demand; IT always has new frontiers coming up (website design overstuffed? Medical IT is in desperate need of new people right now, especially with Obamacare soon in effect, and they have deep pockets); mathematicians can probably make money on the stock market, if they're desperate and inventive enough (lol). What's a biologist to do?
design new virus capisce

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...820235514.html
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 21:54   Link #25409
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 31
IT industry wages are so hilariously overpriced. Honestly surprised they haven't crashed yet. Still don't regret getting out of the industry though... well, maybe a little, since it's all I've done the last 10 years.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 22:15   Link #25410
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
I was a History Major. I still haven't figured out a job that uses it that pays. Nearly everything I see is volunteer or teaching.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 23:28   Link #25411
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Systems Engineering is supposed to be a cross between management and engineering, meaning which its graduates are supposed do be "ambidextrous" (good with technical logic and social skills). Not surprising that it pays alot, but those with leadership skills remain yet to be seen.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 23:30   Link #25412
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I was a History Major. I still haven't figured out a job that uses it that pays. Nearly everything I see is volunteer or teaching.
Librarian...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 00:27   Link #25413
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Systems Engineering is supposed to be a cross between management and engineering, meaning which its graduates are supposed do be "ambidextrous" (good with technical logic and social skills). Not surprising that it pays alot, but those with leadership skills remain yet to be seen.
Anyone who graduates with a "systems engineering" degree should *worry* if they're immediately given a position with any management responsibility
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 01:42   Link #25414
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Anyone who graduates with a "systems engineering" degree should *worry* if they're immediately given a position with any management responsibility
I wish they do. However, isn't it common for management to blame "incompetent subordinates" for anything that falls through?

"It is not my problem yo, I am just gonna take the money off the table and RUN."
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 01:54   Link #25415
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I wish they do. However, isn't it common for management to blame "incompetent subordinates" for anything that falls through?

"It is not my problem yo, I am just gonna take the money off the table and RUN."
Heh, that's why they should worry -- "cannon fodder" is on their name tag.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 03:19   Link #25416
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Well people like me who have a Biology degree tend to go directly to either teaching, research, or medicine. Medicine in my case.

Then again medical school is horribly expensive, and doctors don't get the level of income and respect they used to.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 06:03   Link #25417
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Russia investigates protest leader for theft of party funds
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BN05O20121224
Quote:
Russian authorities have opened a third criminal investigation into opposition leader Alexei Navalny, saying on Monday that the critic of President Vladimir Putin is suspected of stealing millions of dollars from a political party in 2007.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 07:14   Link #25418
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Holidays for the superpower.

Spoiler for for size:

I'm surprised to see all those ships in port. That's like half the capital ships of the US Navy grouped up on 1 square mile. I bet that makes the person in charge of security pretty nervous.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 09:30   Link #25419
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
As a Mechanical Engineering Graduate, I haven't seen any of that $50,000 income.

Though I wonder, how many of those Mech Engineering graduates are actually working as Mech engineers...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 15:29   Link #25420
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
As a Mechanical Engineering Graduate, I haven't seen any of that $50,000 income.

Though I wonder, how many of those Mech Engineering graduates are actually working as Mech engineers...
My uncle is a mechanical engineer for Standard Oil and he makes close to $100,000 a year... granted, he has a master's degree and the job he has now is the only job he's ever had in his entire adult life. Hired right out of college back in the 80s.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.