AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-01-16, 09:33   Link #1
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Can't play latest AH's Nurse Angel Ririka SOS mkv

Hi, everyone.

I can't play the episodes of Nurse Angel Ririka SOS by AH from ep 13 and forward with BSPlayer.

The strange thing is that these are the only episodes I can't play with BSPlayer. I installed the latest matroska and mp4 haali's splitter, making everything else playable, even the latest Plawres Sanchiro's H264 mkv episode by Anime-Clipse (and even Arienai's Ginban Kaleidoscope mp4 episodes).

I extracted the video only (avi) with mkvextract from mkvtoolnix, but it still can't be played.
However, I copied the technical "log" and got this:

- for Plawres Sanchiro 13 (H264) [Anime-clipse].mkv :
"+ Codec ID: V_MS/VFW/FOURCC
+ CodecPrivate, length 40 (FourCC: H264, 0x34363248)"

- for Nurse Angel Ririka SOS 13 [AH].mkv :
"+ Codec ID: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
+ CodecPrivate, length 38"

I thought AVC and H264 were the same thing, are they not?
Maybe the files are corrupted? This would be strange since no one else complained about this to this date. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Old 2006-01-16, 20:41   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

It's an h.264 issue, not a mkv one.

First: make sure that the episode isn't corrupt. Either run it through the torrent again, or CRC32 check it.

Next, try playing it in a player that isn't BSPlayer. If it works, then you need to tweak some of BSPlayer's settings. I like BSPlayer and use it as my primary media player; I've had to tweak some of my rendering settings to get H.264 to work nicely.

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend uninstalling Matroska and haali's splitter, and trying CCCP. It's the simplest solution. Please read the forum post regarding how to get CCCP to work nicely with BSPlayer as well.

If that doesn't work, what sort of processor are you using? Depending on the processor type, I'll give you the version of FFDShow that I use as well as my BSPlayer settings, and you can try those and see if they work for you.
Old 2006-01-17, 02:01   Link #3
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
I'm sorry to disagree with you again, but I don't reccomend CCCP.

I do not reccomend any kind of Codec Pack.

Just download the latest FFDShow here http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=53761 and select the proper options during install

then install the latest http://www.matroska.org/

I would also reccomend against using BSPlayer, I don't like it.

Personally I use Winamp as my media system. It does everything but softsubs without a problem [ softsubs for the FMA movie are the only reason BSPlayer is even on my HDD ]

If you don't like Winamp, try Media Player Classic http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 07:30   Link #4
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll try and see if they work.
Old 2006-01-17, 08:08   Link #5
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
Just download the latest FFDShow here http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=53761 and select the proper options during install
Those builds are ancient and won't work with H.264 at all. At least link some recent builds like Milan's, Celtic Druid's or bob0r's.
Old 2006-01-17, 08:36   Link #6
Nicholi
King of Hosers

I do suggest the CCCP be used. By the way the video you extracted with mkvextract is not in the AVI container. It is raw H.264 video and cannot be viewed as such. The problem is that you don't have an H.264 decoder currently.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 17:30   Link #7
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Those builds are ancient and won't work with H.264 at all. At least link some recent builds like Milan's, Celtic Druid's or bob0r's.

Oops, Picked the wrong link.

It was 2am and I was going on 36 hours without sleep, Sue me

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...rs/ffdshow.cfm

That is the most recent build IIRC

The most recent builds do, however, work with h.264

I know, because thats what does the decoding for all my h.264 videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi
I do suggest the CCCP be used. By the way the video you extracted with mkvextract is not in the AVI container. It is raw H.264 video and cannot be viewed as such. The problem is that you don't have an H.264 decoder currently.

I suppose its a matter of opinion, I don't like codec packs, because they install to many seperate things that can all be done by one stand alone piece of software, like FFDSHow

and you don't risk conflicts like you do if you do codec packs and have to install stand alone codecs later. Its been my experiance that the overwhelming majority do, however, reccomend against any type of codec packs.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 19:53   Link #8
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The reason I suggest CCCP is that, despite its name (specifically the term "codec pack"), it isn't a pack at all. It installs a customized build of FFDShow and I believe an external splitter, but that's it. I'm 100% against codec packs and I was against CCCP until I took a look at it myself.

Do I use it myself? No. I use a SSE2-customized build of FFDShow that requires much less processor power. I recommend CCCP to people because I know that the team is constantly testing it out with regard to anime releases. Other builds of FFDShow may be untested and/or unstable, and we generally don't know anything about them. Hence, it's much more difficult to give support to people, especially people who are new to all of this and don't want to bother with going through options. CCCP may not always be the most efficient option, but it certainly seems to take care of the issue most of the time and with the fewest steps. Hence, it's the simplest, or easiest, option.

As for media player, it's purely a matter of preference. There are some issues with BSPlayer that don't exist in other players, but generally you can work around them if you don't mind toggling with options - nothing hard-core.

If you like Winamp, you should be able to get softsub support on it without a problem as well. I used to use Winamp as my media player because I have some DSP sound plugins that I absolutely couldn't live without once I watched one video with it. I went back to BSPlayer once I found that I could use DSP plugins within BSPlayer, too. I didn't like mixing video and audio in my Winamp playlist (I don't use the library function), and my desktop is a bit older and requires that I boost the process priority of my media player for synchronized video. BSPlayer lets me just set the process priority rather than making me do it manually each time; even if Winamp had an option to set it automatically, I wouldn't use it because it's a waste for audio. What I do in BSPlayer, I could do in other players as well, but at this point I'm used to BSPlayer. I don't recommend BSPlayer as the end-all ultimate player, but merely as something that I know works.