AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-23, 23:06   Link #1
iBeast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
What happenend to all the high quality Anime?

This is what I like:

Death Note

Code Geass

Hikaru No Go

Samurai Champloo

Fate/Zero

Any recommendations? Seriously, it seems like their just releasing animes now to just release them...
iBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 23:17   Link #2
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Just thought what animes that might be close to what you have set as examples plus the "high Quality thing"..

Btooom!
Code Gease Akito The Exiled
*ongoing OVA
Helling OVAs *ongoing?
Dance in the Vampire Bund
Ergo Proxy
Guilty Crown: Lost Christmas OVA
Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse
Psycho Pass


High Quality Animation, IMHO depends on....

1. The Company making it.

2. The Budget

3. The Director's Skills
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 23:26   Link #3
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On the corner
Age: 24
Heh heh. Watch Shigurui and Texhnolyze.

These two shows weren't released just because. Watch them.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 01:24   Link #4
Eragon
eff off shiro.
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the warm embrace of ice.
Age: 21
Instead of looking at new shows why don't you search the old ones?
Anywho,
Berserk - pretty much the best show.
Baccano - From the creators of Samurai Champloo
Monster
Neon Genesis Evangelion.
__________________
Signature courtesy of rikikai
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 02:07   Link #5
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeast View Post
TAny recommendations? Seriously, it seems like their just releasing animes now to just release them...
Human memory sucks and people don't remember the ton of forgettable eroge adaptations that was being made at the same time as death note and code geass.


Anyways:
Psycho pass ,Phantom requiem for the phantom,Madoka Magica ( all by the writer of fate/zero)
Zetsuen no tempest
Lupin III: woman named fujiko mine
Shiki
Shin Sekai Yori
Chihayafuru
Michiko to Hatchin
Jormungand
And yeah in the "classics" there's always Monster
__________________

Last edited by totoum; 2012-12-24 at 02:42.
totoum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 08:20   Link #6
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 23
Yeh, try to check some oldies.

You seem to be more into darker stories so try the following:

Aoi Bungaku Series - set of small series, some better than others. First 4 episodes give a bit of a Death Note vibe because of designs and animation.

Baccano! - great action series with well thought out story. A simple train robbery turns into a real treat.

Berserk - good oldie with interesting character developments and strategic battles. Anime is better than new movies.

Claymore - not the best of the best but pretty good/dark action with some entertaining characters and nice build ups.

FMA and FMA:Brotherhood are a given. One of the best well thought out stories and character developments. I usually hate MC but Edward is an exception.

I'm a bit reluctant with suggesting this one but still I would recommend to give Ga-Rei Zero a go. First episode blew my mind away and series had a good and strong build up towards a very memorable final. Besides you kind of have an anti MC just like in CG and DT.

Ghost Hunt - if you are fine with taking a break from action. Series are about ghosts and are set in detective kind of setting where characters investigate and solve the cases. Some arcs are better than others. My most favorite one is Bloodshed Labyrinth which is the darkest of the bunch. First arc is the weakest.

GTO - awesome comedy that covers some dark and daily topics of life.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica - don't let the cute art deceive you. Series are much darker than you think. At least watch first 3 episodes.

Monster - detective kind of setting. Surgeon saves a boy and later learns that he became a serial killer. Feeling responsible he tries to stop him and eventually ends up as suspect himself.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - good series about assassins and underworld. Main character was robbed of his memory and given a choice: Kill and live or get killed.
Series are not afraid to show cruelty of a life as assassin aka MC is not the nicest person when it comes to work.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - not action orientated but deep/dark series about hardships of group of friends who met in prison. Series follow their life while in prison and outside.

Shiki - by the same author as Ghost Hunt. Villagers suddenly start to die and epidemic is suspected but is it really the case?

Steins;Gate - gets better in second half, series focus on how small changes in the past can change everything in the future.

I didn't watch Hikaru No Go yet so don't know much about it except on focusing on a game. However, I think you could give Chihayafuru a go. This series are lighthearted and comedy orientated but main subject is karuta, a Japanese card game. Sounds boring but series managed to give this game depth and make it look very entertaining.

Hope this will help.


P.S. You could try to check an ongoing series Magi. Series have a lot of comedy but they also cover some dark themes and tend to do some things differently from stereotypes.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 20:11   Link #7
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Watch welcome to the NHk. It was my favorite anime from 2006. I loved every minute of it. I totally know what you mean... I really am perplexed that people actually watch those shows

And I'm going to assume you alread saw haruhi
__________________
<3
xxanimefan4_ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-25, 01:03   Link #8
iBeast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Just thought what animes that might be close to what you have set as examples plus the "high Quality thing"..

Btooom!
Code Gease Akito The Exiled
*ongoing OVA
Helling OVAs *ongoing?
Dance in the Vampire Bund
Ergo Proxy
Guilty Crown: Lost Christmas OVA
Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse
Psycho Pass


High Quality Animation, IMHO depends on....

1. The Company making it.

2. The Budget

3. The Director's Skills
You don't think their high quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Yeh, try to check some oldies.

You seem to be more into darker stories so try the following:

Aoi Bungaku Series - set of small series, some better than others. First 4 episodes give a bit of a Death Note vibe because of designs and animation.

Baccano! - great action series with well thought out story. A simple train robbery turns into a real treat.

Berserk - good oldie with interesting character developments and strategic battles. Anime is better than new movies.

Claymore - not the best of the best but pretty good/dark action with some entertaining characters and nice build ups.

FMA and FMA:Brotherhood are a given. One of the best well thought out stories and character developments. I usually hate MC but Edward is an exception.

I'm a bit reluctant with suggesting this one but still I would recommend to give Ga-Rei Zero a go. First episode blew my mind away and series had a good and strong build up towards a very memorable final. Besides you kind of have an anti MC just like in CG and DT.

Ghost Hunt - if you are fine with taking a break from action. Series are about ghosts and are set in detective kind of setting where characters investigate and solve the cases. Some arcs are better than others. My most favorite one is Bloodshed Labyrinth which is the darkest of the bunch. First arc is the weakest.

GTO - awesome comedy that covers some dark and daily topics of life.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica - don't let the cute art deceive you. Series are much darker than you think. At least watch first 3 episodes.

Monster - detective kind of setting. Surgeon saves a boy and later learns that he became a serial killer. Feeling responsible he tries to stop him and eventually ends up as suspect himself.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - good series about assassins and underworld. Main character was robbed of his memory and given a choice: Kill and live or get killed.
Series are not afraid to show cruelty of a life as assassin aka MC is not the nicest person when it comes to work.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - not action orientated but deep/dark series about hardships of group of friends who met in prison. Series follow their life while in prison and outside.

Shiki - by the same author as Ghost Hunt. Villagers suddenly start to die and epidemic is suspected but is it really the case?

Steins;Gate - gets better in second half, series focus on how small changes in the past can change everything in the future.

I didn't watch Hikaru No Go yet so don't know much about it except on focusing on a game. However, I think you could give Chihayafuru a go. This series are lighthearted and comedy orientated but main subject is karuta, a Japanese card game. Sounds boring but series managed to give this game depth and make it look very entertaining.

Hope this will help.


P.S. You could try to check an ongoing series Magi. Series have a lot of comedy but they also cover some dark themes and tend to do some things differently from stereotypes.
I highly recommend Hikaru No Go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarqu View Post
Heh heh. Watch Shigurui and Texhnolyze.

These two shows weren't released just because. Watch them.
Eh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Instead of looking at new shows why don't you search the old ones?
Anywho,
Berserk - pretty much the best show.
Baccano - From the creators of Samurai Champloo
Monster
Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Saw Berserk. I tried watching Monster a long time ago but that anime scared the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Human memory sucks and people don't remember the ton of forgettable eroge adaptations that was being made at the same time as death note and code geass.


Anyways:
Psycho pass ,Phantom requiem for the phantom,Madoka Magica ( all by the writer of fate/zero)
Zetsuen no tempest
Lupin III: woman named fujiko mine
Shiki
Shin Sekai Yori
Chihayafuru
Michiko to Hatchin
Jormungand
And yeah in the "classics" there's always Monster
Trust me, I remember the anime timeline of Code Geass and DN era clearly... there weren't any good animes besides those two. (Unless you're into The Melancholy of HS etc.)
iBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-25, 03:53   Link #9
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
What happened to all the high quality Anime?
They become more frequent; since 2010 my Anime list has jumped considerably in numbers and I'm certain I'm not the only one.

It's pretty arrogant to think that only shows that you like are 'high quality', or that only a certain genre are labelled as 'high quality'.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-12-25 at 04:14.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-25, 04:54   Link #10
Chandela
Straight Chillin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Somewhere nice and quiet.
Send a message via Skype™ to Chandela
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
They become more frequent; since 2010 my Anime list has jumped considerably in numbers and I'm certain I'm not the only one.

It's pretty arrogant to think that only shows that you like are 'high quality', or that only a certain genre are labelled as 'high quality'.
I would say it slides a bit more towards ignorance rather than arrogance, based off of the original post. IMO the OP uses the term 'high quality' too loosely. I am not sure if he is speaking of 'high quality' anime from his own point of view or from say, GenjiChan's point of view;

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post

High Quality Animation, IMHO depends on....

1. The Company making it.

2. The Budget

3. The Director's Skills
Because of this I have trouble giving an appropriate suggestion. I need some clarification on this, otherwise I would just suggest anime similar to Code Geass, Death Note and Hikaru no Go regardless of whether or not they are 'high quality' enough to fit the OP's standards.
__________________

Last edited by Chandela; 2012-12-25 at 05:08.
Chandela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-25, 06:26   Link #11
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeast View Post
Trust me, I remember the anime timeline of Code Geass and DN era clearly... there weren't any good animes besides those two. (Unless you're into The Melancholy of HS etc.)
Like the others I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "high quality." Unless one is attempting a purely objective categorization based upon a prexisting set of standards it is impossible to classify something as high or low quality without subjecting the article being classifed to one's personal bias.

A quick glance at the your list of titles that you suggests two things: 1.) That you primarily enjoys shows targeted at the shonen (young teenage boy) demographic, and 2.) That you're probably very familiar with Cartoon Network/Adult Swim. Only one of the titles you have listed has not aired on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim (Fate/Zero) and most likely never well.

Other users have given you an ample anime to select from so I won't retred that ground, but I would like to take a moment to address your claim that no other "high quality" anime was released in the "DN era" (i.e. 2007-2008). That is so ridiculously funny that it's laughable. I pulled up a list of shows released in 2007 and 2008 to refresh my memory of what I watched in those years, but I only needed a quick glance to spot numerous titles that are highly regarded:

Baccano!
Denno Coil
Gurren Lagann
Heroic Age
Mononoke
Nodame Cantabile
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Seirei no Moribito
Blade of the Immortal
Casshern Sins
Ga-rei
Hell Girl
Macross Frontier
Mnemosyne
Time of Eve
True Tears
Xam'd


That's not to say that your shows, Death Note and whatever else, are not good, but you may find that broadening your horizons will lead to better things.
__________________

(Summer 2014 - Currently Watching)
Sailor Moon Crystal | Tokyo Ghoul | Aldnoah.Zero
Zankyou no Terror | Glasslip | Hanayamata
Rosalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-25, 06:49   Link #12
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeast View Post
Trust me, I remember the anime timeline of Code Geass and DN era clearly... there weren't any good animes besides those two. (Unless you're into The Melancholy of HS etc.)
That's pretty funny considering 05-07 is easily the best period of anime from the last 12 years.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-25, 06:57   Link #13
Eragon
eff off shiro.
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the warm embrace of ice.
Age: 21
People, try not to gang up on him.
And this is Suggestions thread, discussing merits/demerits of shows would go in another sub-forum.
__________________
Signature courtesy of rikikai
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-25, 07:08   Link #14
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
People, try not to gang up on him.
And this is Suggestions thread, discussing merits/demerits of shows would go in another sub-forum.
Given the vagueness of the words he is using, I don't think it's wrong or off-topic to try correct him or/and ask for clarification.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-25, 07:22   Link #15
Eragon
eff off shiro.
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the warm embrace of ice.
Age: 21
Yes, of course it not wrong. Although, apart from first few posts this thread seems to be heading into discussion rather than suggestions.
Perhaps it needs to be moved as from his replies, it doesn't seem like he wants any suggestions.
__________________
Signature courtesy of rikikai
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-25, 07:29   Link #16
MisaoFan
Treasure-Seeking Explorer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, France
Am I the only one who thinks this thread reminds me of another thread due to the OP's attitude ?

Anyways, I think I'm going to throw some of the following suggestions :
Zetman
Jormungand
Sword Art Online
BTOOOM!
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (the 2012 TV series)
Code: Breaker
Psycho-Pass

I second Rosalena's Modern Golden Age (2007-2008) titles.
__________________
<img src=http://i.imgur.com/O5yUSnx.png border=0 alt= />I will protect you from the darkness and I change my destiny.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-25, 10:43   Link #17
iBeast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Lol thank you all for your suggestions.

1. Graphics
2. Voiceovers
3. Storyline

These 3 things make up the quality of an "Anime".
iBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-25, 12:42   Link #18
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeast View Post
Lol thank you all for your suggestions.

1. Graphics
2. Voiceovers
3. Storyline

These 3 things make up the quality of an "Anime".
You changed.
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-26, 01:41   Link #19
wrigbrede
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I loved every minute of it. I totally know what you mean.
wrigbrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-26, 02:42   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
I think the arrogance of asserting sole judgement of "good" precludes me from offering much. This is why its hard to justify doing someone's research for them. It appears that the examples given are purely in the "anime designed for young boys" demographic anyway o.O.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.