AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-12-28, 05:22   Link #1
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Editing Subtitles in .mkv Files

Basically, there are some rather jarring errors in some of the subbed files I have, but everything else like the timing and style is okay. I'd like to know if there's a simple method to just go into the .mkv container and edit the text without touching the timing and stylized font.

I figure I'll have to demux, edit and then remux, but I'm not 100% on the method.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 2012-12-28, 14:12   Link #2
sneaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
I figure I'll have to demux, edit and then remux, but I'm not 100% on the method.
Yes, that's pretty much it.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 02:45   Link #3
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Download MKVToolNix v3.4.0 (#), followed by MKVExtractGUI. Extract the first download, and extract MKVExtractGUI2.exe from the second archive, and place that file into the install directory for the MKVToolNix, where you'll find mkvextract.exe & mmg.exe (MKVMerge).

Run the GUI tool for MKVExtract, drag/drop your .mkv file onto it, and tick the subtitle track you want to extract. Edit it, and then run MKVMerge. Drag your .mkv file onto that, along with your edited subtitle file, untick the old one, and tick the new subtitles, give it a track name, and set the language up. Then click the start muxing button.

#: I suggest v3.4.0 because it's the last version that'll set the English language track attribute specifically. In version 4+ MKV Merge won't write default values to .mkv files, and English is the default language value if none is present on a track. If you're using a video player that understands this then you can download the latest version of MKVToolNix . On a secondary note, in the unlikely event you ever want to mux a .mkv which contains DTS-HD: Master Audio, then you'll need to use v4.4+ of MKVToolNix.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 04:12   Link #4
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Thanks, I'll be trying that ASAP.