AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-30, 11:32   Link #541
Haak
Haters Gonna Hate
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
There is nothing wrong. Not everyone is perfect, in fact there are 6 people on the list, namely you, Vexx, KiNa, TRL, Triple_R and Haak who are the major resident lolicons.

I guess that eccentricity comes with being open-minded.
A bit late on the uptake I know, but wait what? Where the hell did this come from? You're just slandering people now. NOT COOL.

On a separate note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The winner speaks!
Images
Screenshot of ranked reputation list
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
.
I like how those Usertitles can easily act as parting words for our final rankings.
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2012-12-30 at 12:40.
Haak is offline  
Old 2012-12-30, 11:39   Link #542
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
True, but once you get 1 or more red dots, I doubt people will even consider reading your posts, so the end result is the same
The poster can always hide his/her rep
Unless you ignore posters who hide their rep as well,but in that case you're starting to ignore a whole bunch of people.
__________________
totoum is offline  
Old 2012-12-30, 11:48   Link #543
mangatron
Doctor Booby Sensei!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Why do girls and whips look so good together?
Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
A bit late on the uptake I know, but wait what? Where the hell did this come from? You're just slandering people now. NOT COOL.
Yeah, what's with that list, I'm not even on there

See folks? It took 2 years, but the greatest trick I ever played was convincing the forum I leveled up from lolitron to bomberman
Wait, it's no longer a trick, it's true XD
__________________

2x2x2 bounce!
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!

*My uneventful Titanfall Beta experience.
*mangatron's Twintail Celebration begins with Miss Monday
from Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z
!
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at 80%, there is progress.
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is online now  
Old 2012-12-30, 12:35   Link #544
NoirX
寂然のキツネ
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Yeah, what's with that list, I'm not even on there

See folks? It took 2 years, but the greatest trick I ever played was convincing the forum I leveled up from lolitron to bomberman
Wait, it's no longer a trick, it's true XD
I was neva convinced by that!

On a simpler note though, someone said to me "Rep is useless" and after thinking it, it really is true. Once you judge someone from his/her rep alone, you won't get anywhere.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic205802_6.gif
NoirX is offline  
Old 2012-12-30, 13:10   Link #545
npal
I desire Tomorrow!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sixth Layer of Celestia
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Unless you ignore posters who hide their rep as well,but in that case you're starting to ignore a whole bunch of people.
Yes, obviously
npal is online now  
Old 2012-12-30, 14:18   Link #546
Fahd
* >/dev/null
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cambridge, UK
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
True, but once you get 1 or more red dots, I doubt people will even consider reading your posts, so the end result is the same, they ignore you.
With all respect, I never needed "red dots" to tell me I should ignore someone (i.e. skip past their posts), or "green dots" to hold someone in more regard. Nor do I believe that your "peers" should be deciding how to frame your opinion of someone. The content of each and every one of their post should be enough to make that decision for you.

As TheFluff has conveniently pointed out, one person's troll is another person's hero .
Fahd is offline  
Old 2012-12-30, 14:32   Link #547
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Dunno. When all you've got to work with is one post and you want to decide if the guy's ignorant or trolling, that's a clue.
Anh_Minh is online now  
Old 2012-12-30, 17:04   Link #548
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
I say people with red dots and has "many" dots are both interesting at the same level. Why?

I seen two-three who continue posting even with their reds are appearing. At first, I found it stupid cause it "invites" negrepers. But I also found them amusing. Since they're "that" already, why hold now? I say reds are either trolls or very "real people" that say what they have to say whether the readers or receiver will like it or not and I'm impress by that. That's why I still "give away" greens to those who are either "hidden" or "red"
NoemiChan is offline  
Old 2012-12-30, 18:02   Link #549
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Making people too mad to respond
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
True, but once you get 1 or more red dots, I doubt people will even consider reading your posts, so the end result is the same, they ignore you. I generally did that. Yes, it's basically ad hominem, but if you actually managed to get that much of a bad rep, chances of actually saying something useful for a change are slim at best, and MY time is too precious to waste searching for that one moment of brilliance in an otherwise uncivilized... entity. YOUR time, however, is your own, as well as your priorities, so I won't tell you how to use it or even offer any advice on that matter.
But once again, it's just a lazy substitute for actually considering the content. Ad homenim is ad homenim still and has no place in a legitimate discussion. Sure someone with many rep bars is probably correlated with not so nice posting, but there's assholes of every rep level, and I'd really claim that it's not the people with the red/black rep that have been the rudest to me anyways. And if I get occasionaly tempted to abuse the negrep---> report Build Order, what do the real groups of trolls plan? Nothing good and might drive otherwise decent people into an endless spiral of rage and lols.

However, I can say for sure that people that are "worse" at posting tend to deliver short insulting posts, and rarely do they deliver tl;dr.

I won't tell you what your prorities are. but other people are involved in this website. If your time is too precious to put in that effort, there's no reason for the site to cater to that need. It doesn't matter right? I think the mods and sensitive posters don't have to put up with people wanting convenience over the additional hassle it contributes.

Quote:
It is never fun neg-repping people, for my part. It's only easy and efficient. I hardly see the fun in it, that's why I don't really care that it's gone. For the rest, the first point still applies. You can call it lazy. I, however, see no need OR point to waste my time arguing about the basic qualities of a post that only takes up valuable space and its mere sight shortens my life expectancy, when I could be talking with people like Vexx instead, for example.
Unfortunately, I sometimes think it's fun because it is easy. And that's the problem here-- you may have the human decency and maturity to not enjoy Schadenfreude but that thought is not shared by many people, as the evidence clearly shows. And what do I have to say to myself? I'd like to say that I thought that I only negged people that "deserved it" but that's an arbitrary judgment on my own. I don't think I'm an asshole most of the time and I don't bother innocent bystanders. "Oh, they were all rude people that posted my friend's PMs in a unwarranted fashion!" Would youbelieve it? Well... And I think there are people worse than me. If I am bored enough to figure out the Neg rep===> report strategy (blatantly OP and neeeded a nerf) what do the real groups of griefers think if they're smart enough to not get banned?

I've seen trolls burn down threads in forums without a rep system and they didn't need to use PM's. Such a tool invariably helps them and legitimate posters lose out. And they were just straddling the line enough to not get permabanned until it was too fucking long. You just have to realize trolls aren't just the ones that spam 30 pages worth of threads or call everyone racist names. Those are just the garden variety type of trash that can get taken out pretty easily. But those are so easily recognized that we don't need rep to do with them. They are just hit and runners with no plan and because they are not long term, rep system has little to no effect on them, even if it works on paper. Every now and then, people will post a thread in general insulting anime fans and sure they quickly turn red, but they usualy don't come back. Although they might use alts, I don't know. And honestly, that kind of crap thread gets recognized instantly if you read a forum long enough.

Although I guess I'm glad since that I was on page 1 of the rep ladder, it might be a good idea to bring it back so people take me more seriously. Granted, after people read my posts in this thread, chances are I'll be down to page 3 or something.
__________________
God damn, there's so much bad fanservice out there. Touch me and I'll beat the crap out of you!
You are about to move into areas of the anime industry with wonders you cannot possibly imagine. And terrors to freeze your soul.

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-12-30 at 18:16.
Archon_Wing is offline  
Old 2012-12-30, 20:00   Link #550
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I don't think I'm an asshole most of the time and I don't bother innocent bystanders. "Oh, they were all rude people that posted my friend's PMs in a unwarranted fashion!" Would youbelieve it? Well...
I remember that incident well, as I'm the friend in question. And it was that incident, and the fallout from it, that ultimately changed my position on negrep. Before it, I basically felt that the membership here were all civil and respectful enough of one another that we didn't need neg rep - That the cons definitely outweighed any possible pros there.

But then someone who I had shared very personal and private PM discussions with in the past, someone who was one of my AS friends, and someone who was a long-standing member of the board, crossed the line in a big way by going public with PMs that I had sent him. And all over a disagreement on one, lone anime episode.

And that incident showed me that people, even here on Anime Suki, can really cross the line sometimes. And when people cross the line like that, neg rep can become an useful function.

Is this usefulness worth the associate cons of neg rep, though? I don't know. And I hope that's one thing that this experiment might prove, one way or the other.
__________________
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2012-12-30, 20:27   Link #551
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Making people too mad to respond
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Oh, I wasn't going to be that specific, Triple, it's just that it was what came across my mind, lol. On the other hand, should I have just hit report and would I have done it had I not known you that well? Well, in situations like this yes, but it does raise some questions about bias.

I really don't mind either course of direction. I can find fun in either, but it's up for experiment and trial.
__________________
God damn, there's so much bad fanservice out there. Touch me and I'll beat the crap out of you!
You are about to move into areas of the anime industry with wonders you cannot possibly imagine. And terrors to freeze your soul.

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline  
Old 2012-12-30, 20:32   Link #552
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I really don't mind either course of direction. I can find fun in either, but it's up for experiment and trial.
Agreed.

I think it might be a good idea if people shared their experiences with the new, rep-less Anime Suki in a couple month's time (i.e. "It's better now", "It's worse now", "It's pretty much the same as always", etc...).

I already have some initial impressions of the impact that the new, rep-less AS is having, but I think they might be getting skewed by the larger impact of the holiday season and its associated lack of new anime episodes for a week or two. For that reason, I'm personally going to take at least a month or two before forming a concrete opinion on what the rep-less AS is like compared to the old AS.
__________________
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2012-12-30, 20:40   Link #553
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Making people too mad to respond
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I already have some initial impressions of the impact that the new, rep-less AS is having, but I think they might be getting skewed by the larger impact of the holiday season and its associated lack of new anime episodes for a week or two. For that reason, I'm personally going to take at least a month or two before forming a concrete opinion on what the rep-less AS is like compared to the old AS.
Ah ok, I suppose you don't want to draw a conclusion yet, though how have your observations compared with the expectations?
__________________
God damn, there's so much bad fanservice out there. Touch me and I'll beat the crap out of you!
You are about to move into areas of the anime industry with wonders you cannot possibly imagine. And terrors to freeze your soul.

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline  
Old 2012-12-30, 20:43   Link #554
relentlessflame
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And when people cross the line like that, neg rep can become an useful function.
How does neg rep solve anything in this case, though? Does the fact that this person (apparently) had high positive rep incentivize them to break your confidence? Does giving them negative rep bring the issue to their attention in a way that a VM or PM would not? Does giving them negative rep make them less likely to do it again? Does it work better if you unleash a "swarm" of neg rep (by invoking your friends), and now it's like "Oh no, they're serious! They're hurting my green bars!"

The whole thing only works if rep actually matters, and I highly doubt people who do bad things maliciously care in the slightest about whatever feedback they receive via rep. In fact, most of the Forum's most "problematic posters" (so to speak) don't really care what infractions they get either. The people who are most likely to care about neg rep are people who try really hard to post well, want to be accepted, and are extra-susceptible and sensitive to feedback. And for these sorts of people, a personal conversation would be a lot more well-received and less stressful, because they want to do well.

Reputation does nothing to deter truly malicious behaviour, and can even empower those who would engage in such behaviour in their quest to disrupt order through less than honest means.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And that incident showed me that people, even here on Anime Suki, can really cross the line sometimes.
I will say that there are still "less decent" things that can be done to a person than having private conversations shared. Like, say, using fabricated evidence to organize a lynch mob as part of a "covert" smear campaign against another Forum Member. But I'm not under any delusion that people who engage in this sort of malicious behaviour will be "cured" by a few red dots. If getting rid of the dots entirely provides them with one less means to influence people in the shadows, I am all for it.

---


Anyway, I think what needs to be said by everyone related to the rep retirement has been said for now, so I am going to lock this thread. If anyone runs into any bugs related to the removal of rep, please feel free to contact myself or any of the other members of the staff. The staff will wait for a time before considering any new systems (and indeed we may wait until the Forum Upgrade is complete anyway, depending on what ideas are considered).

It's also a bit early, but I'd also like to extend my best wishes to everyone for the New Year to come.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
forum, reputation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.