AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2006-01-17, 15:36   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Fate/ Series Q&A

This thread is for those with questions about the Fate/stay night anime or game. Please keep discussion about episodes in the relevant threads, the purpose of this thread is to ask questions that can actually be answered as facts from the anime or game.

Make sure you use spoiler tags if your question is about the game. Untagged game spoilers are risking a ban. If you don't know how to use a spoiler tag, please read the BB Code FAQ.

Spoiler tag examples
[spoiler]Text to be hidden[/spoiler] becomes
Spoiler:

[spoiler=subject title]Text to be hidden[/spoiler] becomes
Spoiler for subject title:

Please DO NOT quote entire posts; if you wish to refer to a previous post quote ONLY the parts relevant to your response.

Since the series is licensed the following posts are not allowed!
  • Asking where you can find F/sn downloads or torrents.
  • Discussing F/sn fansub groups (past or present).
  • Asking for help downloading F/sn.
  • Asking for playback help for F/sn episodes.
These rules applies to fansubs (in English or any other language) and raws alike.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 14:49   Link #2
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

What is "Fate/stay night"?

"Fate/stay night" (or simply: Fate, f/sn, 笛, etc.) is an anime based on an ero-game (gasp!) released by the softhouse TYPE-MOON back in early 2004. The covers for the original (limited first-press edition version) game are shown below:

You may recall TYPE-MOON as the original creators of "Tsukihime," who at the time were merely amateur doujin game creators. I recall I posted something a quite a time ago about how TYPE-MOON started out, but all I could find was this: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...9&postcount=30

Following their crowning achievement in the doujin market, TYPE-MOON decided to go pro. Their first game release as pros was "Fate/stay night." The game sold an unprecedented +100,000 copies (which is a very high number for an ero-game) and was a massive hit. Dozens of official merchandise and multi-media enterprises spawned. It was a matter of time that rumors about this going to be animated started being heard.

In October 2005, TYPE-MOON released a fun/fan-disc called "Fate/hollow ataraxia" show below (limited edition first release packaging):

Once again, they made headlines as they were able to reach an estimated sales of over 150,000 copies on the first week alone.

Although regarded to be a "fan" disc, several new characters are shown for the first time that relate to the story in "Fate/stay night." It is speculated that some characters here will make cameos in the anime (this speculation was later backed up when Hotaruzuka Neko made a small appearance in the anime).

And now, starting January 2006, the much anticipated anime version of "Fate/stay night" started airing across various UHF stations.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 16:31   Link #3
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Have you heard any news or rumors if TYPE-MOON has plans to release Fate/stay night also in RPG format or as a RPG game?
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 17:09   Link #4
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
Have you heard any news or rumors if TYPE-MOON has plans to release Fate/stay night also in RPG format or as a RPG game?
No.

There is however, confirmations that Fate/stay night will be ported over to the Playstation 2.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 20:04   Link #5
CelestialShadow

Why 笛?Just because of its pronunciation?
CelestialShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 21:39   Link #6
monster

So, what's it about?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 21:55   Link #7
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert
So, what's it about?
In a seemingly ordinary Japanese town, Fuyuki City, there had been a war going on. A war hidden from society. A war beyond all imaginations. A war between 7 magician/Magus/Magi called "Master" who summons a powerful familiar called "Servants". A fight to the death for the one and only Holy Grail. 10 years after the previous war, once again, the Holy Grail War begins once more as Emiya Shirou, an untalented and weak magician is thrown into the loophole of the war as a Master...

I tried my best without spoiling anything. My intro did Fate zero justice.
Old 2006-01-18, 21:57   Link #8
monster

Thanks a lot, it did enough to get me interested. hhmmm war and magic, heh.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 22:30   Link #9
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Think of it as "Kawaii X/1999"
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 18:55   Link #10
Paracelsus

Look, I've never played the game, nor had anything to do with FSN before the anime release, and I can tell that I liked both the first two episodes. The first one, like all the introductions, was kinda slow, while the second one showed the real potential of FSN. Just give it a try. I bet you won't regret it.
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 19:57   Link #11
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Hmm. Fate/stay newbie here.

Since I know nothing about the game, I was wondering if Fate/stay night and the fandisk Fate/hollow ataraxia shared the same main character, or if Fate/hollow ataraxia continued a scenario from the Fate/stay night game?
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 20:19   Link #12
F!reStr!fe
Unlimited Blade Works...

Send a message via AIM to F!reStr!fe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon

Since I know nothing about the game, I was wondering if Fate/stay night and the fandisk Fate/hollow ataraxia shared the same main character, or if Fate/hollow ataraxia continued a scenario from the Fate/stay night game?
Well Yes and No... For the main character you play two people which the game switches between, And its different from the original game its kind of i think some time after the game itself or totally off in a side story so its not really connected but the original game story did apparently happen sometime before it.

My Current Animes: Welcome to the NHK, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Coyote Ragtime Show, Bokura Ga Ita, .hack//roots
F!reStr!fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 20:20   Link #13
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon

Spoiler:

Sushi-dono and kj-dono should be able to elaborate better than I ever could.
Old 2006-01-19, 21:46   Link #14
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Fate/hollow ataraxia takes place half a year after the end of the 5th Holy Grail war (in other words, half a year after the end of Fate/stay night). The premise is that someone has restarted the Holy Grail war, and you have to find out the truth within the "promised 4 days". The entire game of hollow ataraxia takes place within these 4 days, at the end of the last day, you will be sent back to the main menu, but all the events you have already seen remains "checked". Slowly, through the repeating 4 days, you will uncover the truth behind the reopened war and the looping days.

Mechanics wise, hollow ataraxia is comprised of hundreds of "scenes", which you can pick freely from an overworld map of Fuyuki city throughout the 4 days. Each day is split into Morning, Afternoon, and Night, which all contains different events. The events are represented with clickable character icons that float over the location (for example, a Saber icon floating over the dock represents an event dealing with Saber at the dock. Most events are lighthearted and fun to watch, where we get to see all the servants living out a normal life after the last war. At the same time, some events are important "key" events that pushes the main story on. So depending on your preference, you can leave the "everyday" events and pick only the "key" events to push the main story on, or you can loop the days as many time as you want and watch all the events available before moving on with the story (which opens up more events).

As for the question "does hollow ataraxia continue after a scenario in Fate?" I'd say yes and no. hollow ataraxia contains references to all three routes of Fate/stay night, but it doesn't follow any route in particular. For one, even though some, if not most, servants died in all the scenarios from Fate/stay night, all the servants are alive and well in hollow ataraxia.

You can probably think of it this way "the story of hollow ataraxia assumes that all three routes from Fate/stay night has occured, but regardless of the actual ending, everyone is alive and well with memories from all three routes".
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 16:49   Link #15
Aristophanes
I have returned

Send a message via MSN to Aristophanes
What's a ero game?
Aristophanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 16:57   Link #16
Seyluun

Are the characters as good as in Tsukihime? Sounds hard to create twice in a row a hit like Arcueid, for one...
Seyluun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 16:57   Link #17
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristophanes
What's a ero game?
The correct terminology of what most people outside of Japan mistakenly call "hentai game."
Old 2006-01-20, 17:01   Link #18
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristophanes
What's a ero game?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eroge

Damn hackers for ruining kj's indepth post on ero games.

kj > Wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyluun
Are the characters as good as in Tsukihime? Sounds hard to create twice in a row a hit like Arcueid, for one...
An opinion-based question. If you ask me....I would say yes. But I've also seen some who thinks Tsukihime is better than Fate, and vice-versa.
Old 2006-01-20, 17:11   Link #19
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

hmm im starting to get interested in this series of games, not for the ero side of things, but the story and multiple paths, i havent played a game which has a storyline thats pulled me into the game for awhile.
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 18:00   Link #20
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eroge

Damn hackers for ruining kj's indepth post on ero games.

kj > Wiki

An opinion-based question. If you ask me....I would say yes. But I've also seen some who thinks Tsukihime is better than Fate, and vice-versa.
Why the heck does that English wikipedia site seem like an abridged version of my posts:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=169
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=170
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=173
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=175
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=176

Anyhow, "Fate/stay night" is based on a Japanese visual-novel game. Let's leave it at that.