AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-12-31, 22:11   Link #28481
bio9205
Reborn

I think that list proves (once again) that UC always sells. Heck, even SEED, which comes in second, doesn't even come in close. Makes me surprised that Bandai is continuing with HG AGE next year, but I'm happy if those kits do get released.

Anyway, I just started on my HGUC Sazabi, and switched from a metal file to sandpaper for the first time. Even with the finest grit (not sure what's the number, but it's definitely higher than 1000), I still can see visible scratches. I started with 400-600, then 800-1000 and lastly with my finest sandpaper, which is supposed to polish the surface. Any help? I'm not sure if my technique is right - I've tried pressing the sandpaper hard, pressing it lightly, going in circles, going in one direction, etc, but the scratches are still there. I'm thinking of going out to pick up a Tamiya polishing compound tomorrow. Is that the only way to remove the scratches?

EDIT: Read somewhere that I can use toothpaste as a cheaper alternative, is this true?
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 23:01   Link #28482
FalsePrime

Honestly I don't think we needed this list to reaffirm that UC would outsell everything else with ease.

That said, SEED actually didn't do quite as well as I thought it would. Good, great even but I did think that Aegis and Dual would have done much better. Still though, got to wonder if the will ever announce and produce the often rumored HGAC line. Given HA's performance I'm surprised we still haven't seen it. Then again they have even cooled on HGFC and after HGAW's weak performance they might just feel it's not worth it.

Can't imagine them ever going for the HGCC line that some people were hoping for when FC/AW came out.

EDIT: Went over the list again, and I don't know how I missed it but Justice RG is shockingly low in my opinion. Granted Athrun fans even in Japan seem to really focus on Infinite Justice, but still when compared to the other RG's (aside from Titan's MK II). Granted I fully expect that Destiny RG will be at or near the top next year. It still weird to me though that it was FX and not Dark Hound who seems the most popular suit from AGE.
FalsePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 23:21   Link #28483
maknaedik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio9205 View Post
I think that list proves (once again) that UC always sells. Heck, even SEED, which comes in second, doesn't even come in close. Makes me surprised that Bandai is continuing with HG AGE next year, but I'm happy if those kits do get released.

Anyway, I just started on my HGUC Sazabi, and switched from a metal file to sandpaper for the first time. Even with the finest grit (not sure what's the number, but it's definitely higher than 1000), I still can see visible scratches. I started with 400-600, then 800-1000 and lastly with my finest sandpaper, which is supposed to polish the surface. Any help? I'm not sure if my technique is right - I've tried pressing the sandpaper hard, pressing it lightly, going in circles, going in one direction, etc, but the scratches are still there. I'm thinking of going out to pick up a Tamiya polishing compound tomorrow. Is that the only way to remove the scratches?

EDIT: Read somewhere that I can use toothpaste as a cheaper alternative, is this true?
When I was a kid, there's a product that was being endorsed that can remove scratches from cars. I kinda want to roleplay and used toothpaste instead. Scratched our gate and tested it. I was shocked to find out when the scratched disappeared. I was like, "so they must have used toothpaste then". That test I made was on a metal and haven't tested it in plastic. You can maybe try it in runners first though.

Yes, my story is serious.

Red Gunpla Reviews: http://redblondemean.wordpress.com

My Personal Blog: http://cmgaddict.wordpress.com
maknaedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 01:27   Link #28484
Blazer-X

On a side note, whatever happened to the MG Providence Gundam rumor a while back? Was it a hoax?
Blazer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 02:36   Link #28485
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer-X View Post
On a side note, whatever happened to the MG Providence Gundam rumor a while back? Was it a hoax?
Maybe in 2013?
Old 2013-01-01, 04:34   Link #28486
firefox
Seed seeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalsePrime View Post
Honestly I don't think we needed this list to reaffirm that UC would outsell everything else with ease.

That said, SEED actually didn't do quite as well as I thought it would. Good, great even but I did think that Aegis and Dual would have done much better. Still though, got to wonder if the will ever announce and produce the often rumored HGAC line. Given HA's performance I'm surprised we still haven't seen it. Then again they have even cooled on HGFC and after HGAW's weak performance they might just feel it's not worth it.

Can't imagine them ever going for the HGCC line that some people were hoping for when FC/AW came out.

EDIT: Went over the list again, and I don't know how I missed it but Justice RG is shockingly low in my opinion. Granted Athrun fans even in Japan seem to really focus on Infinite Justice, but still when compared to the other RG's (aside from Titan's MK II). Granted I fully expect that Destiny RG will be at or near the top next year. It still weird to me though that it was FX and not Dark Hound who seems the most popular suit from AGE.
Wow making asumptions on the salestatistics of 1 online store which sells in 1 country, you are definately political material!!!

Outside japan HGUC is alot less popular, most people i know buy most suits from seed, wing or 00.

Personally last year i bought about -+80 kits, 20 MG's, 15 1/100 HG and 45 1/144 HG/RG. 10% was UC, 25% was seed, 20% was 00 and 45% was AGE.

Now a question what did you pleople build yourselves in 2012? I'll take a pictures of everything i built in 2012 later today (as soon as my camara's battery is recharged)
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 05:16   Link #28487
maknaedik

My whole xmas break and my progress so far..

Spoiler for Sinanju so far....:

It's either I'm very slow or Sinanju is really pain in the ass. I hate those gold trims and I'm starting to hate putting decals.

Old 2013-01-01, 06:05   Link #28488
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ Looking nice from here. Did you repaint the reds or just do some coating?

Oh, btw, I love putting decals. In fact, putting decals is what I enjoy the most when building a kit. I wish I could help you apply them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
Now a question what did you pleople build yourselves in 2012? I'll take a pictures of everything i built in 2012 later today (as soon as my camara's battery is recharged)
For 2012, I mostly build kits from SEED, Wing, 00 and Unicorn line (mostly MGs). I don’t really want to spend time and effort to bring them together for a picture. Some of those kits are already safe in their boxes coz my shelves can't handle them all .
Old 2013-01-01, 07:43   Link #28489
Appel

In 2012 I built MG Duel and Blitz, MG AGE-1 Sparrow, HG AGE-3 Normal, HG Danazine, MG RX-79(G), MG Banshee, MG Zeta 2.0, MG RX-78-2 2.0, HG Jesta.
Appel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 07:46   Link #28490
maknaedik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
^ Looking nice from here. Did you repaint the reds or just do some coating?

Oh, btw, I love putting decals. In fact, putting decals is what I enjoy the most when building a kit. I wish I could help you apply them.

For 2012, I mostly build kits from SEED, Wing, 00 and Unicorn line (mostly MGs). I don’t really want to spend time and effort to bring them together for a picture. Some of those kits are already safe in their boxes coz my shelves can't handle them all .
I used TS-80 Tamiya Clear Flat.

Yeah, I love it too, but given that they're water slide ones. Dry transfer ones are PAIN specially on the curves. But they saved my ass twice already while I was doing Sinanju. I accidentally stripped off a decal on two separate occasions while I was trying to put another.

For the kits I purchased this year:

4 Seed
- MG Aegis
- MG Buster (a gift for a friend)
- RG Strike Rouge
- RG Sky Grasper

5 Age
- HG Genoace
- HG Genoace II
- HG Farsia (For my adopted daughter, I only call her that.)
- MG Titus
- HG Dorado (just to join the gunpla promo)

1 Wing
- MG Wing Zero Custom (a gift for a friend)

4 UC
- MG Marasai
- MG Ballute System
- GFF Deep Striker (HOLY GRAIL!!!)
- HCM Pro Hambrabi (should've waited for HG)

1 00
- HG Tieren Taozi

Old 2013-01-01, 07:47   Link #28491
bio9205
Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by maknaedik View Post
When I was a kid, there's a product that was being endorsed that can remove scratches from cars. I kinda want to roleplay and used toothpaste instead. Scratched our gate and tested it. I was shocked to find out when the scratched disappeared. I was like, "so they must have used toothpaste then". That test I made was on a metal and haven't tested it in plastic. You can maybe try it in runners first though.

Yes, my story is serious.
Tried toothpaste on my Sazabi, unfortunately the minute scratches are still there. I realized Tamiya polishing compound is extremely expensive, looks like I'll have to live with the minor scratches.

Anyway, HGUC Sazabi is shaping up to be an AMAZING HG. It has a pseudo inner frame in its chest section! Colour separation is also really good, the seals are the minimum.
Old 2013-01-01, 08:11   Link #28492
maknaedik

Quote:
Tried toothpaste on my Sazabi, unfortunately the minute scratches are still there. I realized Tamiya polishing compound is extremely expensive, looks like I'll have to live with the minor scratches.

Anyway, HGUC Sazabi is shaping up to be an AMAZING HG. It has a pseudo inner frame in its chest section! Colour separation is also really good, the seals are the minimum.
Do you topcoat? Because I do. It can hide minor scratches. But if there's any, I usually just sand it down.

Old 2013-01-01, 09:15   Link #28493
bio9205
Reborn

Quote:
Do you topcoat? Because I do. It can hide minor scratches. But if there's any, I usually just sand it down.
I don't - I'm a straight build guy. Thinking of topcoating, though - does it leave a smooth finish? I'm venturing out of the noob stage - friend's going to lend me his airbrush which I'll try on my HGUC Rozen Zulu.
Old 2013-01-01, 09:29   Link #28494
maknaedik

Quote:
I don't - I'm a straight build guy. Thinking of topcoating, though - does it leave a smooth finish? I'm venturing out of the noob stage - friend's going to lend me his airbrush which I'll try on my HGUC Rozen Zulu.
It has three types of finish, four if you add pearl coating.

First is the gloss. It adds reflectiveness to the kit. They say it's recommended for round and curvy types of gunpla, for example Sinanju. But...

Second is flat. Opposite of gloss, it cuts the shine out of the kit. It's my favorite and preferred finish.

Third is semi-gloss. I think this is the one you've been looking for. Its shine is almost the same as a straight out of the box. It was once used by a modeler that he custom built. I believe it was MG DHell when it's not yet out and fooled a lot of people.

Fourth it pearl gloss. It's the same as gloss but with added pearl effect. You know, glittery stuff and whatnot.

See the pic for reference
Spoiler for Pics:

Last edited by maknaedik; 2013-01-01 at 09:33. Reason: Attached pictures
Old 2013-01-01, 12:08   Link #28495
FalsePrime

Quote:
Wow making asumptions on the salestatistics of 1 online store which sells in 1 country, you are definately political material!!!

Outside japan HGUC is alot less popular, most people i know buy most suits from seed, wing or 00.

Personally last year i bought about -+80 kits, 20 MG's, 15 1/100 HG and 45 1/144 HG/RG. 10% was UC, 25% was seed, 20% was 00 and 45% was AGE.

I was talking with in context of said store and only how they did there, sales are worthless if we have no opinoin on them. Your response to mine was pointless and added nothing.

As for building, it consisted of mainly stuff from Unicorn (HG/MG's) AGE (MG's. HG's) and EW (MG).

MG UC
ReZEL
Delta Plus

HG UC
Unicorn (Destroy Mode)
Banshee (Destroy Mode)

AGE MG
AGE -1 Normal
AGE -2 Normal

AGE HG
G-Bouncer
AGE -2 Special Forces

Wing MG
Heavyarms

SEED MG
Blitz

RG
Strike
Freedom
Zeta

Slow year overall for builds. Bought 3 times as many, but I love all those suits and am waiting on my new place so I will be able to paint them.
FalsePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 12:13   Link #28496
Appel

Quote:
In my opinion this is THE easiest way to make a kit look great if you don't want to paint it. It even makes the sticker decals look better.
Bandai's plastic is of such a high quality that paining it really is almost unnecessary.

Last edited by Appel; 2013-01-01 at 16:59.
Appel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 14:00   Link #28497
firefox
Seed seeder

A quick recap of what i built in 2012, 13 models in total (i was aiming for 12), the last i actually put the finishing touch on this morning.
2 1/100 MG's, 2 1/100 HG's and 9 1/144 HG's.

Not bad for someone with no time

firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 17:40   Link #28498
sky black swordman

Quote:
A quick recap of what i built in 2012, 13 models in total (i was aiming for 12), the last i actually put the finishing touch on this morning.
2 1/100 MG's, 2 1/100 HG's and 9 1/144 HG's.

Not bad for someone with no time

Impressive, which one took the longest ?
(One on the left) What gundam is that? Kind of looks like the Freedom.
RX-93-ν2 Hi-ν Gundam, which it could have been animated.
Old 2013-01-01, 18:04   Link #28499
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
(One on the left) What gundam is that? Kind of looks like the Freedom.
You mean the black one? It's called Strike Noir. It appears in SEED OVA Stargazer. Yeah, it kinda resembles Freedom/Strike Freedom a bit.
Old 2013-01-01, 19:37   Link #28500
MoonLightShadows
Gundam Meister

Looking at the Rozen Zulu it looks nice. But the dark purple....

Dalong has his review up.

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy