AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Nekomonogatari Black Rating
Perfect 10 31 35.63%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 31.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 19.54%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 6.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.30%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.15%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 2.30%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-02, 19:51   Link #81
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
VCV: I think that Koyomi ending with Tsubasa will be a bad end. Imagine all of those stress gushing towards you like a tidal wave. Even if you're a part-vampire, you're gonna give her up eventually. Tsubasa has a tendency to build up stress instead of dealing with it; unlucky is the person who would be present when she lets it all out, Black Hanekawa or no Black Hanekawa.

Koyomi getting a bit turned off by Tsubasa was a lifesaver.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Summer 2014: Hanayamata, Rail Wars!, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?, Sabagebu!, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Hanamonogatari.
Spring 2014: No Game No Life, Date A Live II, Magica Wars, Fairy Tail and Isshukan Friends.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 208. Plan to watch: 35.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 00:25   Link #82
sikvod00
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homestead, FL
Age: 27
Episode 3 subs are out and there was a decent amount of little sister fan-service scenes (mostly Tsukihi) at the beginning. Man, this cursed cat is really troublesome and it's all thanks to Tsubasa's unlimited knowledge of everything in the universe, including how to deal with oddity specialists. Honestly, if it wasn't for the boobs, I'd just let her die; never liked her character much. I'm guessing before this all ends Koyomi will get shit on again like he does with all the oddity encounters. I seriously believe the dude is an M and likes getting his limbs torn off. Speaking of Koyomi, I thought it was pretty funny how he placed a freaking og between his sleeping sisters instead of a pillow or something less ... rough. Kind of messed up when you consider the reason they're even sharing a bed.

Last edited by sikvod00; 2013-01-03 at 00:51.
sikvod00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 00:40   Link #83
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Orlando
If only Oshino could have gotten Hanekawa and the Neko to work for him like Araragi/Shinobu, he wouldn't have to work another day in his life.
__________________
"Focus entirely on me, you ordinary soldier."
Tempest35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 00:46   Link #84
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
VCV: I think that Koyomi ending with Tsubasa will be a bad end. Imagine all of those stress gushing towards you like a tidal wave. Even if you're a part-vampire, you're gonna give her up eventually. Tsubasa has a tendency to build up stress instead of dealing with it; unlucky is the person who would be present when she lets it all out, Black Hanekawa or no Black Hanekawa.

Koyomi getting a bit turned off by Tsubasa was a lifesaver.
actually he said at the end what he feels for Hanekawa goes beyond simply love, He is willing to DIE for her. Thats like waaaaaaaaaaay beyond simply love and want to be with someone. This is true devotion

This episode proves that both his sisters dont mind getting naked and intimate with him despite having boyfriends
__________________
Epicness
Polarpew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 04:38   Link #85
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpew View Post
actually he said at the end what he feels for Hanekawa goes beyond simply love, He is willing to DIE for her. Thats like waaaaaaaaaaay beyond simply love and want to be with someone. This is true devotion
Araragi's willing to die for anyone. That's how he rolls. Like, he's tried to sacrifice himself for almost every other character in the entire series. I think that from his perspective, being willing to live for someone is much higher level than being willing to die for them. You have to remember that he's also pretty crazy.

Although this whole conversation is somewhat missing the point, since he's not "willing" to die for her, he wants to die for her. As in, he would consider that the best possible outcome, rather than a last resort.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 07:19   Link #86
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Araragi's willing to die for anyone. That's how he rolls. Like, he's tried to sacrifice himself for almost every other character in the entire series. I think that from his perspective, being willing to live for someone is much higher level than being willing to die for them. You have to remember that he's also pretty crazy.

Although this whole conversation is somewhat missing the point, since he's not "willing" to die for her, he wants to die for her. As in, he would consider that the best possible outcome, rather than a last resort.
I think we're over thinking it. I'm just going to interpret it as that his feelings for her aren't as trivial as love but something greater. Seeing how she is his first friend and how indebted he feels to her for Golden Week
__________________
Epicness
Polarpew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 08:07   Link #87
zeando
maybenotimome
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpew View Post
I think we're over thinking it. I'm just going to interpret it as that his feelings for her aren't as trivial as love but something greater. Seeing how she is his first friend and how indebted he feels to her for Golden Week
Wasn't koyomi feeling indebted to hanekawa for spring break? (kizu)

just saw subs 3
meme getting worfed was impressive so much hype for hanekawa =D
got surprised by the discussion with meme about the stress being a side effect of aiming for perfection(or purrfection :3 ), wasn't expecting it to be really the reason, i was just speculating about it..
to rephrase it, the only way to reach/get near perfection is to move all the flaws somewhere else, in case of hanekawa her stress is the manifestation of that flaws removal/dismissal

about instead the discussion with the cat, i found it funny how it was the cat to come to have pity for hanekawa, instead of the common opposite, making so for the cat not being able to totally possess hanekawa, and turning instead in just a stress buster tool for her
the argument of hanekawa building again stress even after the cat would have dealt with it because she would return to that lonely house of her "family" is a bit weak, since she's not going to live all her life in there, the problem is her way to generate and deal with stress
i'm thinking hanekawa partly made herself getting possessed on purpose, in the attempt to find a solution for her stress, while at the same time not having to give up on her perfectly contructed persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
If only Oshino could have gotten Hanekawa and the Neko to work for him like Araragi/Shinobu, he wouldn't have to work another day in his life.
The ultimate kais extermination team :3
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 09:01   Link #88
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Curse Cat vs Hindering Cat brings up quite the ruckus on /a/.

Looks like neither is correct, though.

Quote:
To be precise, it's neither "hinder" nor "curse," the kanji used for sawari neko is 障り猫. 障り in this case is as in 体に障る, where it means to "harm/hurt." It has the same pronunciations as sawaru 触る, which means to touch.
Interestingly, 触 is 蟹 (kani, crab) without the sword and cow radicals.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Summer 2014: Hanayamata, Rail Wars!, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?, Sabagebu!, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Hanamonogatari.
Spring 2014: No Game No Life, Date A Live II, Magica Wars, Fairy Tail and Isshukan Friends.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 208. Plan to watch: 35.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 09:34   Link #89
Shikijin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Curse Cat vs Hindering Cat brings up quite the ruckus on /a/.

Looks like neither is correct, though.
I think Hindering Cat is not entirely wrong in its logic, and I like the name parallelism with Beckoning Cat, of which the Hindering Cat was meant to be the polar opposite.

福を招く招き猫に対して、障りを招く障り猫

The expression 体に障る was never used in Nekomonogatari.

Curse Cat is a bit of a liberal translation, but it works very well in conveying the meaning.

I think we can at least agree that Meddlecat sounds awful, and Blocat sounds even worse
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 10:02   Link #90
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
"meddlesome" cat sounds more correct to me... I think a group used it back in Bake- days
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 10:28   Link #91
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: brunei darusalam
Age: 24
Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
with all those camera shots of Hanekawa's face, that somehow seals the deal of my fanfic that Tieria Erde of Gundam 00 is the son of Hanekawa & Arara(100x)gi!!!

i mean he inherted his dad's voice *snort* , his mom's hair color, but i still don't know which side did he inhert his mode changing eye colours from....... but his glasses & elegantness?
__________________
GUNDAM SENTINEL
Ice Queen Sumeragi is our friend!!!
support our empire!!!
DRAGUN H.E.X. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 11:04   Link #92
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Episode 3...

Hanekawa's situation is even worse than I expected. She doesn't even have a room for herself at home. She's essentially being treated like a cat (worse actually, since most people love their pets), having to sleep wherever she can and being given only food and clothing... I can't imagine how rough her childhood must have been like. Her parents are revolting. Who the hell treats a kid that way? Even if they don't love her, it's common human decency to treat her like a human being.

I knew from Bakemonogatari that Oshino wasn't the one who took down the cat, but I didn't think he'd lose so easily against it given his feats in Kizu. Hanekawa is even more fearsome than Oshino suspected.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 11:24   Link #93
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
So it was the Curse Cat who drew those circles on Oshino's face?

I just reread Kizu, the fact that Oshino lost every encounter makes it even more shocking. Guess that's how formidable Hanekawa is, even the Curse Cat turned into a stress relief tool for her.

Next episode is the last.I expect Araragi will try to help her and, like the majority of the time, will become the usual regenerating punching bag until the case is solved.
__________________
Awrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 11:26   Link #94
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Episode 3...

Hanekawa's situation is even worse than I expected. She doesn't even have a room for herself at home. She's essentially being treated like a cat (worse actually, since most people love their pets), having to sleep wherever she can and being given only food and clothing... I can't imagine how rough her childhood must have been like. Her parents are revolting. Who the hell treats a kid that way? Even if they don't love her, it's common human decency to treat her like a human being.

I knew from Bakemonogatari that Oshino wasn't the one who took down the cat, but I didn't think he'd lose so easily against it given his feats in Kizu. Hanekawa is even more fearsome than Oshino suspected.
But that's exactly it. Hanekawa isn't HUMAN. The whole point to her character is the fact that she doesn't act human at all. She a monster in human skin. She does things simply because it's the right thing to do and not because she feels like doing it. To her parents it's like living with a monster.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 11:30   Link #95
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
But that's exactly it. Hanekawa isn't HUMAN. The whole point to her character is the fact that she doesn't act human at all. She a monster in human skin. She does things simply because it's the right thing to do and not because she feels like doing it. To her parents it's like living with a monster.
But was she like a monster from birth, or is it that lifestyle that shaped her into what she is now? I was under the impression it was the latter.

You're making the parents sound like the victims here. I have a hard time buying that's the case.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 11:33   Link #96
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
But that's exactly it. Hanekawa isn't HUMAN. The whole point to her character is the fact that she doesn't act human at all. She a monster in human skin. She does things simply because it's the right thing to do and not because she feels like doing it. To her parents it's like living with a monster.
If you are speaking metaphorically, these were exactly my thoughts too... I always felt that the "cat" is helping Tsubasa break free from the dysfunctional human society she is trapped in.

Anyway, Tsubasa and Koyomi's family have some of the deepest and most well thought off stories, unlike the corny ones of the popular characters
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 11:42   Link #97
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
If you are speaking metaphorically, these were exactly my thoughts too... I always felt that the "cat" is helping Tsubasa break free from the dysfunctional human society she is trapped in.

Anyway, Tsubasa and Koyomi's family have some of the deepest and most well thought off stories, unlike the corny ones of the popular characters
When you say popular characters do you mean the ones in this series?

I found that Nisio really likes to explore on the families behind his characters in all of his series (at least the ones I know of)

-Hitagi (crazy mother in a cult)
-Mayoi (father doesn't allow daughter to visit ex-wife)
-Kanbaru (dead parents)

I won't say they are that corny....
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 12:04   Link #98
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Hitagi/Mayoi tales were Key-level corny, but at least more interesting... I would add Nadeko there too, but a few spoilers and doujinshi about the book for her have improved my opinion.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 13:52   Link #99
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
It's funny comparing the same scene (the riverbank dialogue) between Tsubasa Cat anime and Tsubasa Family anime. Most of it looks completely different (richer backgrounds, clear as opposed to overcast, longer archway) but some frames are lifted exactly from Bakemonogatari 11 though with different lighting and coloring.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 14:26   Link #100
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
But that's exactly it. Hanekawa isn't HUMAN. The whole point to her character is the fact that she doesn't act human at all. She a monster in human skin. She does things simply because it's the right thing to do and not because she feels like doing it. To her parents it's like living with a monster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
But was she like a monster from birth, or is it that lifestyle that shaped her into what she is now? I was under the impression it was the latter.

You're making the parents sound like the victims here. I have a hard time buying that's the case.
Technically Hanekawa is only copying what her parents are doing; pretending that the two adults are married. Pretend that everything is fine, despite the domestic violence. Always, pretending that things are fine.

It's not that her parents don't love her; it's that her parents don't even love each other. So it is not that they loath Hanekawa specifically, but that all three can't stand each other.

You would need novel spoilers to know more, of course.

In general I see Hanekawa as simply a hard working child who got pulled through so much shit and no love, that she is one step away from going postal. And the cat simply decided to go postal in her stead.

As some had said in the past, Hanekawa isn't at FAULT that she turned out the way she is. But that doesn't change that fact that we have someone very much needing serious psychological help. There is so much more I want to say about Hanekawa's situation that made her hide so much, but it is all future stuff.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.