AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-03, 18:06   Link #41
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 大欲界天狗道
So many people think Air is bad? For shame...
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 18:17   Link #42
hyl
smile
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
So many people think Air is bad? For shame...
While Air is not my favorite out of all the Key adaptations, it's huge succes probably contributed of getting a Kanon remake in 2006 and the Clannad anime by KyoAni
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 18:43   Link #43
DorkingtonPugsly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My cozy room
2009 should've been Bakemonogatari... without a doubt.
Also no Big O? Maybe I'm saying this just out of personal preference and impact the series had on me but ah well.
__________________
DorkingtonPugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 18:47   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
So many people think Air is bad? For shame...
I own it, the music CDs, etc. and I think its a great *idea* but it did have some serious flaws. OTOH, it opened a string of KEY epic romance anime features.

I have a personal list of what I consider "masterpieces". Some of them have huge flaws but they were trying to do something out of the ordinary/average or the fire-and-forget mediocre. Don't see any point in typing them out, though because "masterpiece" is something reached by consensus over long discussions by people who really study the topic.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 22:00   Link #45
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Have only been a 'hardcore' anime watcher after the dawn of the digital age (aka. 2000+), so I can't really talk about any other period because the only one that really stuck to me would be Touch. XD

But wow, True Tears mentioned? Didn't it bomb in Japan?

Logical side likes that Dennou Coil, Planetes, Air, Honey and Clover are mentioned, while Shippy side in me is glad stuff like TTGL and AnoHana made the list...

...but the most IMO underrated of the list? Tatami Galaxy aka. Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei. Even I got turned off initially, and only got convinced by my friends to continue on. And holy shit did the show leave a lasting impression on me, to the point where I still think its the best show the Noitamina show has ever produced. (And yes, even over AnoHana despite my shipping tendencies )
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 22:16   Link #46
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Serious question here: Is Inuyasha actually not that popular and not considered to be classic?
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 01:05   Link #47
Triple_R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
So many people think Air is bad? For shame...
It's not that people think that Air is "bad". It's that some of us (including myself) find it weird for Air to be there but not Clannad. Air's a good show, but I think most would rate Clannad higher.

From what I've read from Key/KyoAni fans, Clannad is widely considered the best of the three Key/KyoAni properties. And when I've read people differ with that opinion, it's generally to put Kanon first, not Air.

If neither Clannad, Kanon, or Air was there, you could just chalk it up to the people behind this list not liking Key works. But Air making it when Clannad doesn't is just odd to me.


It's like having three extremely similar retired pro baseball players that played in the same era, and the one widely considered the best of the three doesn't make the Hall of Fame, while one of the other two does.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 02:32   Link #48
wontaek
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Age: 45
Again, never put too much a value in a list you see in East Asia. Many important anime works from 70s and 80s are missing as well.



__________________

Last edited by wontaek; 2013-01-04 at 04:01.
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 02:56   Link #49
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
I don't find the list bad at all. There are some curious exclusions, for example I would think that Dragonball Z would place there if Bleach made the list, but overall it's a pretty good highlight of the decades in so far as how the industry has changed over the years and what has been notable.

It is clearly not a "best of", or even a "most influential" list, but it does a decent job of picking 50 shows. Also, remember that 2000+ saw a huge expansion of the industry, and you could easily pick 50 great shows just from that. Plus, tastes differ from East to West, and unless you've grown up in Japan you're probably not going to be as influenced by anime culturally. For a lot of us Westerners, our first real tastes of anime didn't happen until the 90's and 2k's, with a few notable standouts from the 70's and 80's that many of probably didn't even know were anime or related to Japan until we were older. And even then, most of us don't live in a culture where those things are so predominant.

For example, Doraemon.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 03:12   Link #50
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
And even then, most of us don't live in a culture where those things are so predominant.

For example, Doraemon.
Hey, I live and grew up in a country where everybody knows Doraemon and the names of all the 5 main characters .
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 03:46   Link #51
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's not that people think that Air is "bad". It's that some of us (including myself) find it weird for Air to be there but not Clannad. Air's a good show, but I think most would rate Clannad higher.

From what I've read from Key/KyoAni fans, Clannad is widely considered the best of the three Key/KyoAni properties. And when I've read people differ with that opinion, it's generally to put Kanon first, not Air.

If neither Clannad, Kanon, or Air was there, you could just chalk it up to the people behind this list not liking Key works. But Air making it when Clannad doesn't is just odd to me.


It's like having three extremely similar retired pro baseball players that played in the same era, and the one widely considered the best of the three doesn't make the Hall of Fame, while one of the other two does.
The Air v. Clannad question basically comes down to whether you pick the groundbreaking one or the one that's the evolutionary pinnacle. I actually find the choice of Air defensible - projects like Air simply didn't have that level of production quality in 2005, and of the Key-KyoAni collaborations, the one that had by far the greatest impact on me was the one I saw first (Kanon in my case). It doesn't strike me as outrageous in the way that Zero no Tsukaima's inclusion is, since that's neither the first of the Kugamiya trio (which is Shana) or the best of the three (IMO Toradora).

The standout missing titles for me would probably be Azumanga and Bakemonogatari (though not necessarily over K-On as some suggest because my experience with Japanese exchange students who show up to my anime club is that both titles are exceptionally well known).
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 04:01   Link #52
wontaek
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Age: 45
here are more "curiously missing" series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsujin_28-go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Knight <<< Probably most serious of all omission in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical...ess_Minky_Momo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot_Gen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Neighbor_Totoro <- along with Nausicaa and Laputa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megazone_23

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimagure_Orange_Road
__________________

Last edited by wontaek; 2013-01-04 at 04:16.
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 06:52   Link #53
hyl
smile
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
It doesn't strike me as outrageous in the way that Zero no Tsukaima's inclusion is, since that's neither the first of the Kugamiya trio (which is Shana) or the best of the three (IMO Toradora).
True , no idea why zero no tsukaima did make it in the list because it was less succesfull sales wise than Shana as well
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 07:14   Link #54
Triple_R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
The Air v. Clannad question basically comes down to whether you pick the groundbreaking one or the one that's the evolutionary pinnacle.
Why not pick both? It's not like this list limits itself to 50 selections, as other people have pointed out.


Quote:
I actually find the choice of Air defensible - projects like Air simply didn't have that level of production quality in 2005, and of the Key-KyoAni collaborations, the one that had by far the greatest impact on me was the one I saw first (Kanon in my case). It doesn't strike me as outrageous in the way that Zero no Tsukaima's inclusion is, since that's neither the first of the Kugamiya trio (which is Shana) or the best of the three (IMO Toradora).
Zero no Tsukaima is probably the most questionable title there, yeah.

Air being there is defensible in and of itself, but having Air there but not Clannad really does seem indefensible to me.


Quote:
The standout missing titles for me would probably be Azumanga and Bakemonogatari (though not necessarily over K-On as some suggest because my experience with Japanese exchange students who show up to my anime club is that both titles are exceptionally well known).
You don't think Clannad should be on the list? To me, Clannad is definitely a standout missing title here.

I agree with you on Azumanga and Bake being similarly high up there amongst standout missing titles.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 08:52   Link #55
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Neighbor_Totoro <- along with Nausicaa and Laputa
There's a very good reason for that,the author limited himself to TV shows so you won't see any movies on the list.

It'd be really great if someone could give a rough translation of the article because it seems to explain what this list is and some of the choices behind it.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 09:40   Link #56
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Shakugan no Shana and Zero no Tsukaima gave us (aside from tsundere characters voiced by Kugimiya Rie) a positive and rising trend towards more LN adaptations
Is that supposed to be a good thing?
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 09:54   Link #57
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Funny, among the list were just popular anime which IMHO didn't even add anything to the evolution of anime... I will not mention titles but I agree that anime like Sailormoon, Dragonball, Trigun, did a lot of contributions to their particular genre..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 11:36   Link #58
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Plimoth
Age: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
It's a pity that Ranma 1/2, Rurouni Kenshin,Mononoke, and Gunslinger Girl are not included on the list.
I didn't notice the astounding absence of Mononoke or its predecessor, the "Bakeneko" arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales until you mentioned this. The Apothecary stories are remarkable for their style of illustration, sound track, and the performance by Sakurai Takahiro in the starring role. Mononoke was even a commercial success selling some 12,000 copies on DVD, an impressive result for a noitaminA show.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 13:14   Link #59
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Why not pick both? It's not like this list limits itself to 50 selections, as other people have pointed out.
Missed that bit, actually.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 16:28   Link #60
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
【2006】Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Gintama, Zero no Tsukaima, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
This list be a joke right?
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.