AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-05, 00:32   Link #401
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
This is a pre-industrialization, decentralized feudal society, so a lot of the nasty tricks that can create short-term booms followed by busts, like deficit spending and war bonds, simply don't exist.
Medieval analogies to some of those methods did exist. For example, the Crusades were funded in part by, essentially, mortgages on the Kings' land, a lot of which were salvaged only because the Kings decided to confiscate wealth from the Crusade-era equivalent of bankers (the Knights Templar). This model is, of course, not sustainable because there's a limit to how much the government can mortgage the land.

It would be interesting to see how Maoyu gets around the problem.

On a side note, now that I've come to the subject of Crusades, I wonder how the series would've changed by calling the demons "orcs" instead and have them be Mongolians in essence.
__________________
Graveyard Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 00:53   Link #402
MAX_COLA_POWER!
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
No one taught Hero about the bird and the bees, that's why he freaks out every time he sees Ruby and her gifts. He's still in that, girls have cooties, stage.
__________________
She's in your internets, watching you masterdebate.
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 01:11   Link #403
Cyprene
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Medieval analogies to some of those methods did exist. For example, the Crusades were funded in part by, essentially, mortgages on the Kings' land, a lot of which were salvaged only because the Kings decided to confiscate wealth from the Crusade-era equivalent of bankers (the Knights Templar). This model is, of course, not sustainable because there's a limit to how much the government can mortgage the land.

It would be interesting to see how Maoyu gets around the problem.

This is an interesting point. The author was certainly aware of the crusades (Their analogue plays a major role in the book.) but I don't remember if it said anything specifically about how they were funded.

Quote:
On a side note, now that I've come to the subject of Crusades, I wonder how the series would've changed by calling the demons "orcs" instead and have them be Mongolians in essence.
It would be an interesting exercise, but if they were orcs the Demon King couldn't be a red-head with double Ds.
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 01:20   Link #404
Theo
Morningstar is Burning...
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
How rare is it to find an anime where the males don't turn into whimpering, stuttering manbabies when an attractive woman talks about sex?
Theo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 01:24   Link #405
CJ_Walker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, California
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
How rare is it to find an anime where the males don't turn into whimpering, stuttering manbabies when an attractive woman talks about sex?
,0000000000000000000001%

That is why I dont really watch anime, and if I didnt know the source material I would have dropped it in the first 4.99 minutes.

unfortunately he doesn't grow out of that stage. ..BUT the rest the story and character are really really awesome. . .like really....

so if you can ignore the hero at those parts, then you're in for a real treat
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 01:28   Link #406
GundamZZ
残念美人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
This is an interesting point. The author was certainly aware of the crusades (Their analogue plays a major role in the book.) but I don't remember if it said anything specifically about how they were funded.



It would be an interesting exercise, but if they were orcs the Demon King couldn't be a red-head with double Ds.
I remember that merchants of Florence funded the war.

It's as having orcs is not bad enough. It would be a big turn off. Imaging Sauron seducing Yuusha....
Sauron: I'll be yours. So, you will be mine. Yuusha, you are a doutei. So, your first time would be....

So, demone queen has to be cute.
Her lamps shows that she stalks Yuusha since his childhood.

The Pretty Cure witch has a surprising character. She looks like Yuki Nagato. Her hobby is sleep. It's a rare hobby. Maybe Slam Dunk's Rukawa is like her.
__________________
流麗のヒステリア Hysteria of flowing beautifully
三つ腕のリヒティ Lichty of three arms
重剣のクロエ Chloe of giant sword
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 01:30   Link #407
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post

The Pretty Cure witch has a surprising character. She looks like Yuki Nagato. Her hobby is sleep. It's a rare hobby. Maybe Slam Dunk's Rukawa is like her.
Her nickname is Half Ass Nightmare.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 01:33   Link #408
GundamZZ
残念美人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Her nickname is Half Ass Nightmare.
and her statement of reference: Ultra Happy.
__________________
流麗のヒステリア Hysteria of flowing beautifully
三つ腕のリヒティ Lichty of three arms
重剣のクロエ Chloe of giant sword
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 01:53   Link #409
Random Wanderer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
,0000000000000000000001%

That is why I dont really watch anime, and if I didnt know the source material I would have dropped it in the first 4.99 minutes.

unfortunately he doesn't grow out of that stage. ..BUT the rest the story and character are really really awesome. . .like really....

so if you can ignore the hero at those parts, then you're in for a real treat
That is really going to test my patience. I could tell the instant I saw his face. I've seen that face before. It is the face of "generic male protagonist." Known behaviors: complete inability to handle self around women except when plot-convenient; and screaming at the top of his lungs in overly-dramatic shock at everything that even slightly surprises him in any way.

Quote:
The Pretty Cure witch has a surprising character. She looks like Yuki Nagato. Her hobby is sleep. It's a rare hobby. Maybe Slam Dunk's Rukawa is like her.
Can someone explain what was up with her changing clothes, hair-colors, and personalities each time the camera panned away from her?
__________________
<img src=http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/5491/girlsundpanzermakoxsodo.png border=0 alt= />
Random Wanderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 01:55   Link #410
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
FINALLY, Medieval Fantasy about finding the fundamental decency in people and making the world a kinder and gentler place!!

And I though I would NEVER find something to wash the revoltingly-nihilistic and rancidly-cynical foul-taste of the crap that was Game of Thrones out of my mouth.

Looking forward to another intellectual exercise that goes for the heart by the lovely crew that gave us Spice And Wolf!!

PS. I never thought Koshimizu Ami would ever play a sweet-and-cuddly girl ever again, considering how popular her coarse-and-masucline (Kozuki Karean) or mature and sultry (Horo) are. The Demon King is positively adorable!!
__________________
Yui Is My Wife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 02:09   Link #411
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
It would be an interesting exercise, but if they were orcs the Demon King couldn't be a red-head with double Ds.
She could, however, be a black haired pettanko, though the female knight would in turn have to be a buxom dame.
Spoiler for explanation:
__________________
Graveyard Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 02:13   Link #412
Nvis
Grumpy Senior
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
I still don't like the designs, but will watch it for plot refresher.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 02:18   Link #413
Theo
Morningstar is Burning...
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I'm...not really feeling it, guys. I guess I'll give it some more chances, but right now it seems like PANDER PANDER PANDER. A fucking hugpillow, really?

-I'd like to see how the demon soldiers look and why the humans call them "demons" if they look absurdly like humans, unless the queen is an exception (golly gee!)

-Unless I'm mistaken, they kind of dance around the issue of why the demon attacks started in the first place. Was it in retaliation to human raids? Was it justified? Info please. How about some actual brutal scenes of the war instead of MC talking? Show, Dont Tell.

-I imagine another studio making it: where the hero never lets his guard down even as he accepts the deal. As he leaves, he's thinking up contingency plans if she breaks her word and leaves his hand around his sword at all times. He's disgusted at the fact that he even touched her and despises his body for reacting. No, he's not a prude, but he considers demons less than dirt after fighting them all this time. The sexual tension isn't full-blown but very subtle, with her eyeing him and leaving her hand on him longer than intended.

She seems way too open and trusting here, so they DON'T physically get close at all until the very end with a fleeting handshake.
Theo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 02:28   Link #414
zero7090
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
,0000000000000000000001%

That is why I dont really watch anime, and if I didnt know the source material I would have dropped it in the first 4.99 minutes.

unfortunately he doesn't grow out of that stage. ..BUT the rest the story and character are really really awesome. . .like really....

so if you can ignore the hero at those parts, then you're in for a real treat
strange, i remember reading the manga that the hero is quite a badass himself, not only in combat skills but also the way he support the demon queen secretly. Just that he is easy to be embarassed around ladies.

If the manga did portrait the hero correctly and the anime will adapt faithfully just wait for 3-4 ep you will see.

Quote:
That is really going to test my patience. I could tell the instant I saw his face. I've seen that face before. It is the face of "generic male protagonist."
It is his design to be generic. Ever wondering why they are only regarded as Hero, Demon Queen, Female Knight, Trader .... but not their name?

p/s: nice soundstack at the beginning. Still i prefer the Demon queen design in the manga, cuter and more moe.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 02:37   Link #415
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Not familiar with the source but in the anime hero himself acts surprised when he realized "demon king" is a woman,you wouldn't be able to explain that surprise if she was named "demon queen"
Excuse me, but so friggen what?

I'd have no problem whatsoever with "Maou" being translated as "Demon King" first for people who don't know better, and then switching it to "Demon Queen" once they realize the truth. This is exactly the kind of pseudo-consistency which causes more trouble than helping things: In my world, you do NOT address clearly female persons as "King" in English. You DO NOT. Full stop.

Sometimes, in the TL/editing business, you come across things which can't be translated 1:1 without adjustments. This is one of them, and I honestly hope that Anjou will NOT adjust his work to DK. It would give me the shivers.

(Please understand though that I'm done criticizing Cyprene's decision: It's absolutely his prerogative to come to a different conclusion, and I genuinely appreciate how he took time and effort to explain his position, even if I personally strongly disagree).
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 03:08   Link #416
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
It is his design to be generic. Ever wondering why they are only regarded as Hero, Demon Queen, Female Knight, Trader .... but not their name?

p/s: nice soundstack at the beginning. Still i prefer the Demon queen design in the manga, cuter and more moe.
Yeah, for what it's worth to the people who dislike him, I don't think he's supposed to be based off the Tenchi Muyo-style harem protagonist, but rather he's meant to be a throwback to Dragon Quest heroes, who were always very pure, shy, and easily embarrassed around the casino bunnygirls. This was a tradition that started with Dragon Quest III in 1988, which I think was a number of years before the so-called 'generic harem protagonist' template arose.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 03:18   Link #417
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I'd have no problem whatsoever with "Maou" being translated as "Demon King" first for people who don't know better, and then switching it to "Demon Queen" once they realize the truth. This is exactly the kind of pseudo-consistency which causes more trouble than helping things: In my world, you do NOT address clearly female persons as "King" in English. You DO NOT. Full stop.
Demon King is the name of the office and the title of the person who holds the office, hence her complaint that she can't do anything about it. It would be a mistake to adjust the title to suit the sex of the holder, because it is precisely contrary to what the story implies. For example, Elizabeth II is the Queen of England but the Duke of Normandy.
__________________
Graveyard Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 03:20   Link #418
Cyprene
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
I was half-considering "Dragonlord", which was the translation for 魔王 used by the original Dragon Warrior NES game. Ended up rejecting it for a couple reasons, not the least of which is that at one point an actual Dragon Lord does show up.
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 03:35   Link #419
Kakkou
18歳腐った(?)少年
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Can someone explain what was up with her changing clothes, hair-colors, and personalities each time the camera panned away from her?
They explained it last year at the announcement event that her three different designs are to represent her different personalities to the audience and is a decision unique to the anime.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic101701_1.gif
Panel taken from here (NSFW-ish). Translation/type by some /a/non.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 03:46   Link #420
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard Duck View Post
Demon King is the name of the office and the title of the person who holds the office, hence her complaint that she can't do anything about it. It would be a mistake to adjust the title to suit the sex of the holder, because it is precisely contrary to what the story implies. For example, Elizabeth II is the Queen of England but the Duke of Normandy.
Looking forward to the Demon King and her Head Maid then, and all the rest of the joy that will derive from the decision. Because by going with Demon King, you automatically add an implicit connotation in English that the speaker is questioning the femininity of the one addressed, since it is _NOT_ immediately recognizable as a formal title. Yes, Duke of Normandy is a side-title, but she isn't ADDRESSED solely like that, but with her main title which is explicitly female. So, you're opening up a can of worms by unnecessarily sticking to translational purity here, which in my book is a very poor trade.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.