AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-08, 21:45   Link #9181
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Ruka's bet wasn't to demand Hayate from Nagi. It was to let her pay off his debt. There's a difference between 'let me help you' and 'bugger off, don't get near him'
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 21:50   Link #9182
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Ruka's bet wasn't to demand Hayate from Nagi. It was to let her pay off his debt. There's a difference between 'let me help you' and 'bugger off, don't get near him'
What? It wasn't anything close to "let me help you". The message was "give him to me". She asked to take on all of Hayate's debt, meaning she wants ownership over Hayate so that he is no longer required to serve Nagi.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 22:18   Link #9183
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
The message was "give him to me".
I don't really think that was the idea. Remember she was originally going to ask Nagi to forgive Hayate's debt if she won, but then she said that was too much to ask, and then asked the debt to be transferred to her if she won.

So, I wouldn't know if she was thinking of buying Hayate off from Nagi.
That said, I don't think she was thinking about the possibility of Hayate not liking her back when she made that bet. I really don't think she's that altruistic.

Anyhow, I'd like it if Hata made CTMEOY non-canon. In my opinion, knowing that nothing will really change after this arc makes it a little too anti-climatic and very predictable. Not to mention that HnG is close to reach its 400th chapter, and so far, we haven't had any real development in the romantic area, and the plot development is all over the place. So, once they go back to the mansion, we'll be left with a story which is pretty much back to where it started, but with some character development for some characters which doesn't really justify 400 chapters, many plot points that aren't even close to be solved, many characters that are just there and many others that were simply forgotten. That, and this is purely my opinion, despite some funny moments here and there, I think the comedy in this manga is pretty much stale.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 22:23   Link #9184
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I don't really think that was the idea. Remember she was originally going to ask Nagi to forgive Hayate's debt if she won, but then she said that was too much to ask, and then asked the debt to be transferred to her if she won.

So, I wouldn't know if she was thinking of buying Hayate off from Nagi.
That said, I don't think she was thinking about the possibility of Hayate not liking her back when she made that bet. I really don't think she's that altruistic.
Her assumption is that Hayate doesn't want a relationship because he's obligated to serve Nagi. That's the entire reason why Ruka confronted Nagi: she wants to remove that obligation in hopes that Hayate will reconsider going out with her.

The point was that if Nagi won't let Hayate go, Ruka will take him from her. I don't understand why people are getting so defensive about this as if Ruka was doing something bad. She is just being proactive and doing everything she can to achieve her goals like she always has.

Likewise, Nagi has every right to refuse, because legally, she owns Hayate and has no reason to give him up if she does not want to give him up.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 22:23   Link #9185
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
What? It wasn't anything close to "let me help you". The message was "give him to me". She asked to take on all of Hayate's debt, meaning she wants ownership over Hayate so that he is no longer required to serve Nagi.
Precisely.

Even if Ruka was hoping to pay off Hayate's debt for purely altruistic reasons (WHICH SHE ISN'T) she still wouldn't be helping him, because Hayate's proven enough times by now he doesn't give a flip about the debt except to the point that it represents a personal obligation to Nagi. Handing him a check at this point just means putting him on the spot and forcing him to stammer out an excuse as to why he can't take it.

Heck, he hasn't even done anything to indicate that he's interested in dating Ruka.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 22:24   Link #9186
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Heck, he hasn't even done anything to indicate that he's interested in dating Ruka.
Except for the only reason him giving for rejecting her was because he couldn't leave Nagi's side due to the debt he owes her. But yeah, other than that.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 22:29   Link #9187
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Except for the only reason him giving for rejecting her was because he couldn't leave Nagi's side due to the debt he owes her. But yeah, other than that
From Ruka's perspective, sure. That's the only excuse he would give her. I just mean from a readers standpoint it's obvious that Hayate has given the idea zero consideration and is honestly acting like he just kinda wants to sweep the whole confession thing under the rug and pretend it didn't happen.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 22:30   Link #9188
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Except for the only reason him giving for rejecting her was because he couldn't leave Nagi's side due to the debt he owes her. But yeah, other than that.
He went back to that because he didn't have a good reason to refuse Ruka even when she demanded for a good reason.

His first reason was the "I'm only interested in 2D girls" excuse he gave to Ayumu. It's not hard to believe that Hayate didn't think about relationships since he's too busy trying to make ends meet everyday.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 22:32   Link #9189
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
He went back to that because he didn't have a good reason to refuse Ruka even when she demanded for a good reason.
Okay? I don't care why he had to "resort" to it. If he had zero interest in her, he could say that. The fact that he didn't shows he's at least mildly interested.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 22:36   Link #9190
NK141
Some Random Guy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
He went back to that because he didn't have a good reason to refuse Ruka even when she demanded for a good reason.

His first reason was the "I'm only interested in 2D girls" excuse he gave to Ayumu. It's not hard to believe that Hayate didn't think about relationships since he's too busy trying to make ends meet everyday.
Don't forget though earlier on when he told Hinagiku and the others why he couldn't go out with Ayumu . The reason that Athena herself burned into him"That he did not have the right to date anyone cause he doesn't have the money to support a girl, that he should have the financial standing to be able to support her forever" could also be the reason.

Last edited by NK141; 2013-01-08 at 22:53. Reason: thought i should make the Quote from hayate better.
NK141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 22:40   Link #9191
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Honestly, I don't think Hayate even knows what his reason is. He just knows that he's rejected every confession that comes his way and every explanation he's offered feels like an after-the-fact rationalization. Your example with Athena for example was at least the third excuse he'd given for not dating Hamster.

Quote:
Okay? I don't care why he had to "resort" to it. If he had zero interest in her, he could say that. The fact that he didn't shows he's at least mildly interested.
...Seriously what? I don't mind Ruka pressing for a real answer, but Hayate being dodgy doesn't indicate interest in any way.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 22:44   Link #9192
NK141
Some Random Guy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Honestly, I don't think Hayate even knows what his reason is. He just knows that he's rejected every confession that comes his way and every explanation he's offered feels like an after-the-fact rationalization. Your example with Athena for example was at least the third excuse he'd given for not dating Hamster.
This is very true. He has given many excuses. It could be a case of him not knowing what he wants exactly.
NK141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 22:59   Link #9193
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
...Seriously what? I don't mind Ruka pressing for a real answer, but Hayate being dodgy doesn't indicate interest in any way.
It doesn't indicate a lack of interest either. Thus, combined with how he blushed and reacted to her body shows he doesn't have zero interest.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 23:04   Link #9194
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
The point was that if Nagi won't let Hayate go, Ruka will take him from her. I don't understand why people are getting so defensive about this as if Ruka was doing something bad. She is just being proactive and doing everything she can to achieve her goals like she always has.
I'm not getting defensive, though. I simply don't get the impression that she's trying to buy him off. Certainly, she wants him to have no duty toward Nagi, because as far as she knows, Hayate cannot go out with her if he's indebted to Nagi. But I don't think Ruka wants Hayate to be with her now out of duty.

Like I said before, I don't think she's an altruist to take on Hayate's debt simply so that he's free of it, but I don't think she's that inconsiderate that she'll buy his debt so that he owes her and has to be with her. I don't think she's been shown as being that type of person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Okay? I don't care why he had to "resort" to it. If he had zero interest in her, he could say that. The fact that he didn't shows he's at least mildly interested.
You forget a problem he has that has been mentioned many times and was even brought up in the latest chapter. Hayate is too much of a nice guy.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 01:23   Link #9195
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Ruka isn't trying to buy Hayate off. She's simply being what the manga has described her as. A very earnest and straightforward girl. "Hayate can't date because he has to concentrate on paying back his debt? No problem, I will help him pay off the debt with all my might" It's not because she thinks this will automatically win her Hayate.

Plus we all know Hayate rejected every girl so he can be with Athena in the end ;p
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 13:03   Link #9196
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Ruka isn't trying to buy Hayate off. She's simply being what the manga has described her as. A very earnest and straightforward girl. "Hayate can't date because he has to concentrate on paying back his debt? No problem, I will help him pay off the debt with all my might" It's not because she thinks this will automatically win her Hayate.
But she doesn't want Nagi's help. Yes, she is a very honest and straightforward girl, but it doesn't change the fact that she is butting into Hayate's business by attempting to manage his debt with her own hands.

There is nothing inherently wrong with it, but it's not some privilege or right that she's allowed to do either.


The same can be said for Nagi. There is nothing wrong with her refusing Ruka claim over Hayate's debt, because 1)she is the one Hayate is indebted to, and 2) she sees the debt as the only thing keeping Hayate together with her.

You act as if Nagi is doing something wrong while Ruka gets a free pass. That's where I disagree: technically, Nagi does have the right to Hayate, but that's not the point. Romantically, these are just two girls not willing to give up on the man they love. Neither one of them is more "right" or "wrong" than the other, even if one of them is more likable.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 20:13   Link #9197
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Of course she doesn't want Nagi's help. Thanks to Hayate, she thinks Nagi and his debt to her is the reason he can't date her. What do you expect her to do? Ask Nagi to force Hayate to date her? Wait for Hayate to finish paying 150million in yen to Nagi? If you're so smart and so much better, then you tell me what is the best solution in that situation and we'll see if it can't be nitpicked at all.

Note that Ruka doesn't even need to bet with Nagi about the debt. She can just give Hayate the money and ask him to use it to pay back Nagi, which she sort of implied she would do when she asked Hayate what if he didn't have the debt and he didn't give any answer to her.

And Nagi isn't refusing Ruka's claim over Hayate's debt. She basically told Ruka to give up on her feelings for Hayate. Let me make that clearer; she told Ruka; a person which owes her nothing and has no debt to her, to give up on her own personal feelings for Hayate; someone who is indebted to her. It's got nothing to do with Hayate's debt at this point.

The only way this would be even comparable is if Ruka's bet was 'you give up on Hayate' to Nagi
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 02:32   Link #9198
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Note that Ruka doesn't even need to bet with Nagi about the debt. She can just give Hayate the money and ask him to use it to pay back Nagi, which she sort of implied she would do when she asked Hayate what if he didn't have the debt and he didn't give any answer to her.
Except she already has a large debt she hasn't finished repaying.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 03:50   Link #9199
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
If it's her, I think she would actually prioritise paying Hayate's debt off first before hers in this particular case. That or work even harder. I'm not saying it's the smartest thing to do, but it's awfully straightforward, like her.
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 08:05   Link #9200
Libros
I never hid my hurts.
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
If it's her, I think she would actually prioritise paying Hayate's debt off first before hers in this particular case. That or work even harder. I'm not saying it's the smartest thing to do, but it's awfully straightforward, like her.
Hold on a minute. Something doesn't make sense to me. Ruka wants to give hayate 150m in Yen but she has her own debt she hasn't even finished paying off yet. Tell me exactly, how would she get that much money? Doesn't all of her pay or at least a large chunk of it go straight to the person she owes? And assuming she has enough money to pay for Hayate's debt, why is she still in debt..?
Libros is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.