AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-10, 19:48   Link #25681
Zakoo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gensokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I disagree. Very little of the world is "malnourished", and that number is ever shrinking. The problem is poverty, they cannot afford to buy food. The solution, is prosperity.
Sir come on, I can't let you to say this, just because we don't see malnourishment in europe doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

United Nations called malnourishment the "hidden hunger", it at least affects 1 trillon people in this world, and the last work about how much people die from malnourishment (ie from it or all the other shit that come along) shows that more or less 60 millions die each years from this. Other studies tell 20 millions, hard to quantify but it's in this order of magnitude.

Can you really call this "very little"?

Sauce :

http://library.thinkquest.org/C00229...sent/stats.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3022558.stm
http://www.fao.org/docrep/011/i0291e/i0291e00.htm



The waste in occidental society isn't something that can be argued on, it's like global warming, it's here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I saw a post the other day elsewhere that obesity is actually killing more people on the planet than starvation. Haven't had a chance to verify/validate that statement yet but it would be a remarkably damning turnpoint in human history.
Dunno about the study, the main problem is that malnourishment (and even undernourishment) has for primal consequence obesity. I will see what I can find on this.
Zakoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 19:57   Link #25682
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
@Don - I'll reply once I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
The food crisis is man made. We have the technology to feed everyone 10 times over. The problem is the market needs to be stripped off its control of the food supply. In other words, the food industry needs to disappear. A simply answer yet a difficult solution.

Jack Fresco saw this coming a mile away since the 1930s. As long as money is intermingled with the basic necessities of life there will be waste and misuse of resources.
Utter garbage. If the food industry disappears, where is the incentive for productivity?

Human beings are known to be passive. If there is no force to push them to make lives better, they won't do it.

If the market is stripped off the control of food supply, we would be eating soylent now.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 19:59   Link #25683
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Quote:
United Nations called malnourishment the "hidden hunger", it at least affects 1 trillon people in this world, and the last work about how much people die from malnourishment (ie from it or all the other shit that come along) shows that more or less 60 millions die each years from this. Other studies tell 20 millions, hard to quantify but it's in this order of magnitude.
Have can something effect that number of people when there are only 7 Billion people on the planet?

Or a better question: how many zeros are in your trilllion? There are 9 zeros behind the 7 in my billion.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 20:04   Link #25684
Zakoo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gensokyo
10E^9, haa i should have used number. That was indeed billon in the smartll scale of counting, somehow if my problem with billon/trillon continue I will begin to use german or japenese, this way everybody will be happier.
Zakoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 20:13   Link #25685
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I'm just saying that it looks totally bizarre people would need to own guns when there are so many men and women who are paid to handle weapons and save lives.
No, that's just you not really understanding the function of those agencies and services and the needs on the ground. The day-to-day needs of the general population cannot be addressed by the military or the FBI, and only in limited capacity by local law enforcement agencies. What you're doing here is something akin to wondering why there is a need to fix and maintain roads when you already spent, say, $1 billion on infrastructure, without realizing that $999 million of it went to infrastructures other than roads.

Quote:
BTW, I read an article the other day about how strict gun laws in Japan even scare the hell out of yakuza (and yet we all know how they are more powerful than our typical North American mafia).
They are? in what way? I think you have a rather peculiar and romantic view on organized crime there.

Quote:
My point is that if laws are as strict as those can even have an effect on organized crime
I suggest you travel down to Mexico and see just how those not-as-tough-as-Yakuza cartels are quivering in fear of Mexico's strict gun control laws. Alternatively you can also try Hong Kong, or Taiwan, or Columbia etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Sir come on, I can't let you to say this, just because we don't see malnourishment in europe doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

United Nations called malnourishment the "hidden hunger", it at least affects 1 trillon people in this world, and the last work about how much people die from malnourishment (ie from it or all the other shit that come along) shows that more or less 60 millions die each years from this. Other studies tell 20 millions, hard to quantify but it's in this order of magnitude.

Can you really call this "very little"?
I don't think they're saying that there isn't hunger or people dying from hunger, rather that those hunger are the results of other causes - war, poverty etc, rather than walmart's produce policies.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 20:43   Link #25686
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Yeah, well. That makes plenty of organized groups with specific objectives for each with the same common purpose: defending Americans. I'm just saying that it looks totally bizarre people would need to own guns when there are so many men and women who are paid to handle weapons and save lives.
To be fair, not everyone lives in a city. At least in the United States, there are places where it wouldn't surprise me to hear that 9/11 responders might take up to an hour to arrive. For someone living under those conditions, keeping a shotgun for home defense isn't all that outrageous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
BTW, I read an article the other day about how strict gun laws in Japan even scare the hell out of yakuza (and yet we all know how they are more powerful than our typical North American mafia). My point is that if laws are as strict as those can even have an effect on organized crime, why the distrust about such an idea of gun control? We should all think about it wherever we come from.
Isn't that more of an argument that the Yakuza really AREN'T that powerful? I mean, it sounds like they're more semi tolerated by the Japanese government cause they're not as openly violent as other organized crime syndicates. I'm not sure the Yakuza would be much different (or numerous) than the American mafia if Japanese law enforcement hammered down on the Yakuza in the same way that the FBI does organized crime in America.

Really. The Yakuza aren't afraid of gun control laws. They're afraid that if they're too violent, that law enforcement will stop turning a blind eye to their open existence.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2013-01-10 at 21:02.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 20:56   Link #25687
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Places that are have dense population centers though large parts of the country tend to have better ability to enforce laws and gun restrictions.

Ever look at one of those NASA veiws of the Earth at night? Japan is brightly lit for most of the country. The United States? There are bright lights from teh East coast until around the middle of the country, than marginal number of lights until you get to California. There is a lot of rural land out there still. And given how spread out everything is out west, you will not get a fast responce time from the police in many cases. (Urban Sprawl is the way of things out West).

That and the military is not suppose to enforce laws within US borders via the Constitution. The Coast Guard is the closest to an exception, but that is just because they are suppose to patrol coastal waters and such.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 21:45   Link #25688
KiraYamatoFan
No end to my talents
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
They are? in what way? I think you have a rather peculiar and romantic view on organized crime there.

I suggest you travel down to Mexico and see just how those not-as-tough-as-Yakuza cartels are quivering in fear of Mexico's strict gun control laws. Alternatively you can also try Hong Kong, or Taiwan, or Columbia etc.
Don't underestimate the yakuza. They may not carry guns around to assert their power, but they are more insidious and effective when it comes to corruption than most forms of known mobs. Even Chinese triads don't need guns to use their power and they usually act with subtle methods. So, John Woo stuff is pure fiction.

BTW, where do you think those Mexican cartels got guns in the first place? Looking North of the US/Mexico border (notably Texas ) is self-explanatory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
To be fair, not everyone lives in a city. At least in the United States, there are places where it wouldn't surprise me to hear that 9/11 responders might take up to an hour to arrive. For someone living under those conditions, keeping a shotgun for home defense isn't all that outrageous

Isn't that more of an argument that the Yakuza really AREN'T that powerful? I mean, it sounds like they're more semi tolerated by the Japanese government cause they're not as openly violent as other organized crime syndicates. I'm not sure the Yakuza would be much different (or numerous) than the American mafia if Japanese law enforcement hammered down on the Yakuza in the same way that the FBI does organized crime in America.

Really. The Yakuza aren't afraid of gun control laws. They're afraid that if they're too violent, that law enforcement will stop turning a blind eye to their open existence.
Oh, dear. There are also Japanese farmers living quite some distance from law enforcement units, but I haven't heard much from THEM needing a gun to protect their landlots from whatever comes in as an intruder.

The yakuza are still powerful because they are part of the Japanese culture and are involved a big lot into human/drug trafficking, gambling, and extortion. However, the recent legislation since 2009 and recent anti-yakuza laws are hammering down organized crime. Since then, it has become harder for the yakuza to maintain their activities. In other words, they are starting to be forced into the underground (like in the West) PLUS the yakuza can't carry guns considering the average jail time for being caught.

Here's the article I mentioned: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/fd20130106ja.html
__________________
"Let 'Blood, Blood, BLOOD!' be your motto! Slit their gizzards!" - King Richard from Blackadder.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 21:56   Link #25689
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Sir come on, I can't let you to say this, just because we don't see malnourishment in europe doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

United Nations called malnourishment the "hidden hunger", it at least affects 1 trillon people in this world, and the last work about how much people die from malnourishment (ie from it or all the other shit that come along) shows that more or less 60 millions die each years from this. Other studies tell 20 millions, hard to quantify but it's in this order of magnitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I don't think they're saying that there isn't hunger or people dying from hunger, rather that those hunger are the results of other causes - war, poverty etc, rather than walmart's produce policies.
THIS. The reason there is "starving children in africa" is because the african countries in question are in chaos, not because some kid isn't eating all the food on his plate. No one's going to build a nice supermarket if it's just going to get knocked down by the next dictator to roll into town (of which Africa has many). People starving in places like North Korea or Burma is not our fault, it's the fault of their being continuously plundered by petty incompetent governments. And finally you have a great many countries that are simply poor (say Bangladesh), but that is a Bangladeshi problem. If it continues to have stable governance, however, it's entirely likely the people will soon be able to afford to feed themselves.

Now we don't do nothing to address famine and starvation around the world. We do give out substantial amounts of food aid. But people can't (and shouldn't!) live off charity forever. These people are perfectly capable of looking after themselves, most do want to improve their lives, but due to the circumstances they live (war, dictatorship etc.) they can't.

Here's the countries with the highest levels of malnourishment. What do all the countries at the top have in common? As I see it they're all war zones. The exception is Haiti, but it's like the buttmonkey of the universe. However we have given them a lot of aid(and yet things still don't seem to get better...).

EDIT: @KiraYamatoFan Farmers all over the world own guns, and there's good reason for it. They're more used to shoot foxes then to shoot intruders though.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 22:19   Link #25690
KiraYamatoFan
No end to my talents
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Now we don't do nothing to address famine and starvation around the world. We do give out substantial amounts of food aid. But people can't (and shouldn't!) live off charity forever. These people are perfectly capable of looking after themselves, most do want to improve their lives, but due to the circumstances they live (war, dictatorship etc.) they can't.
That's why I think the focus of the actions from wealthy countries should not be about sending amounts of food, but rather sending something more substantial to get rid of those circumstances. If we want to teach the beggar how to catch fish instead of giving the fish, the circumstances surrounding hunger must be changed. That's one of the reasons why I wished the UN took a more aggressive approach in Somalia in 1993 in order to kick in the ass all groups creating hunger in the country.

Haiti is an absolute joke indeed. I think Canada should just cut loose all the support and tell them straight in the face to not come back until something significant is made on their behalf.
__________________
"Let 'Blood, Blood, BLOOD!' be your motto! Slit their gizzards!" - King Richard from Blackadder.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 22:33   Link #25691
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
How is Piers an idiot again?
Anyone calling for gun bans at this point is an idiot. We've had mass shootings in the US since 1764 (Pontiac School Massacre, 10 children killed, plus school master). We've had oodles of gun laws since then and they did nothing. Also, Connecticut has had an "assault weapon ban" for 18 years. it did no good at all.
So yes, Piers Morgan is a fucking moron.

Quote:
With the regards to the video you posted, the argument about guns and violence doesn't hold up, not because it isn't true but because it is irrelevant to the gun control debate. The reason the country wants gun control is to make it harder for deranged individuals to commit mass murder.
The gun control debate isn't about crime, nor about guns, it is solely about control.

The argument in favor of Feinsteins outlandish bill is not valid
The idea that it is okay to punish 100,000,000 people for the actions of only 140 people over the last 100 years is not only illogical it is insane. Banning paramilitary arms and equipment is not only unconstitutional in the United States, but it is also puerile given that less than 1% of 1% of all firearm related deaths are by either paramilitary weapons and/or standard capacity magazines (20 to 30 rounders).

Quote:
If you want to solve the country's wide spread violence then you need to reduce inequality, but oh wait, I think that's a non starter for you because you will draw the conclusion that I am trying to spread communism.
On that we agree. One of the primary reasons for violent crime in the US is poverty and inequality. That needs to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
When you see the likes of John Lott Jr. going into verbal sparring with other people (probably relatives of shooting victims) during a commercial break in that town hall format show a few weeks ago, that tells me a huge lot about how overly stubborn the people ranting against any form of gun control are.
John Lott is a Olin Fellow at the University of Chicago School of Law, has a PH. D in economics and is a leading researcher on the issue of gun violence, and gun control in the United States. He knows full well what he is talking about and his research has been tested by Criminologist Gary Kleck of the University of Florida who concurred with Lott's general premise.
There is no ranting against "gun control," there is logical and reasonable resistance to what is a useless and unconstitutional infringement on the rights of US citizens.

Quote:
Seriously, with 4 armed branches of US military, FBI, state police, local police and the National Guard (matching the definition of a well regulated militia made of volunteers) being paid to defend people, why the need to own so many guns in the drawer?
You are WRONG about the National Guard.
It is NOT the constitutional militia spoken of in Article 1, Section 8 of the US constitution, nor is it the militia of the 2nd amendment which was ratified in 1789. The National Guard wasn't created until 1903.
It is a reserve branch of the United States armed forces and is a "select militia" force. Meaning it is part of the regular armed forces and thus not the militia of the constitution.

Title 10 Section 311 of the USC clarifies the difference between the organized (select) and unorganized (constitutional) militia forces of the United States.

10 USC Sec. 311
01/03/2012 (112-90)

-EXPCITE-
TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES
Subtitle A - General Military Law
PART I - ORGANIZATION AND GENERAL MILITARY POWERS
CHAPTER 13 - THE MILITIA

-HEAD-
Sec. 311. Militia: composition and classes

-STATUTE-
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied
males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section
313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a
declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States
and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the
National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are -
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard
and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of
the militia who are not members of the National Guard
or the
Naval Militia.

-SOURCE-
(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 14; Pub. L. 85-861, Sec. 1(7),
Sept. 2, 1958, 72 Stat. 1439; Pub. L. 103-160, div. A, title V,
Sec. 524(a), Nov. 30, 1993, 107 Stat. 1656.)



The police in the United States have NO obligation to protect the citzenry as per Castle Rock vs. Gonzalez.
As for need, we don't have a "bill of needs" in the US, we have a "Bill of Rights."
The right to own military weaponry has been decided in the SCOTUS case of US vs. Miller:

The court also upheld the National Firearms Act in Miller because a double-barrel sawed-off Savage model hunting-shotgun was:

“…in the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a shotgun having a barrel of less that eighteen inches in length at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that is use could contribute to the common defense…”

Therefore, US v. Miller make four things clear:

•1) The original meaning of “militia” had not changed in 159 years and it still meant “every able bodied man between the ages of 17 and 45.”

•2) The Federal Constitution and Bill of Rights are the SUPREME LAW of the land and take precedence over State laws.

•3) Weapons which are not of a military nature or useful to the common defense are not useful to the militia and thus not protected by the 2nd Amendment.

•4) There IS a “litmus test” for determining what weapons are and are NOT protected by the 2nd Amendment, and that test is simple: the weapon must be of a military nature and useful by the militia to a) uphold the laws of the union (Constitution and Bill of Rights), b) put down insurrections, and c) repel invasions.

The Miller decision was twisted in 1994 to pass the assault weapon ban by using the exact same argument you're trying to use here about the "militia" being the National Guard. That argument was known as the "collective rights" model. That argument was destroyed by DC vs. Heller in 2008 when the SCOTUS ruled the following:

1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Pp. 2–53.
(a) The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. Pp. 2–22.
(b) The prefatory clause comports with the Court’s interpretation


Therefore, the 2nd amendment is now officially an individual right, thus there is no longer a miltia requirement to own military firearms. I say military firearms because Scalia deferred to US. vs. Miller as the definition of what firearms are protected. He did that to protect the gun control laws that already exist, while at the same time blocking any new bans that would render the 2nd amendment null and void in violation of the constitution.

Now, can we get back to the News. I was rather enjoying reading about the food issue, etc. etc. before Sugetsu rubbed the Aladin's Lamp of gun control and summoned me hither.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 22:50   Link #25692
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
What it boils down to is that if you're going to argue for restrictions, tighter regulations, or bans on firearms - you'd better have studied the subject and you'd better have your logical ducks in order. Arguing via emotionalism, anecdotes, incorrect information, or unsupported assertions doesn't really move the credibility meter much.

I want to solve the problem but doing stupid things (feel-good bullshit) that won't fix the problem and actually make situations more dangerous isn't solving it.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 22:54   Link #25693
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
The Gun Control thread was closed for a reason. Please don't continue the arguments here.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 22:57   Link #25694
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Thank you Vexx.
I have said it before, and I have written it to every state and federal rep and senator in my state, the NRA, and GOA, the same thing.
We need to make membership in the Civilian Marksmanship Program mandatory to buy/own miltia weaponry (semiauto paramilitary rifles). Congress has this power (that's what well-regulated meant in the 18th century) and only Theodore Roosevelt has ever tried to enforce it properly.
That was the whole point of the Militia Act of 1903. It was a compromise to get proper training in public schools so that students would learn to RESPECT firearms for the deadly tools that they are instead of what they have become due to the mass media. Essentially the mass media treats these weapons like they are some kind of phallic symbol of power and that needs to change.

Any of you here who have played Call of Duty know exactly what mission Adam Lanza was mimicing in that school: No Russian.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 22:58   Link #25695
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The Gun Control thread was closed for a reason. Please don't continue the arguments here.
Oh beaten to the punch again!
If you want Solace I'll delete my post to Vexx.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned this yet (or if they did I missed it).


Farley: ‘Severe’ Strain Of Flu Reaches Epidemic Proportions In New York City

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...new-york-city/
__________________

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2013-01-10 at 23:10.
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 23:11   Link #25696
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
People just need to be informed -- about everything. Thus a "news" thread. Keep in mind it has also largely to do with the national consensus. Same-sex marriage, space travel, abortion, everything. Generally the people at Harvard are pretty bright:

http://www.harvardlawreview.org/issu...mment_5867.php

EDIT: God damn it, Gundam, your sig .. contrary to the size of the image, is FRIGGIN' HUGE! I keep clicking it when I try to scroll drag the page!
__________________
Nyaaaan~~
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 23:14   Link #25697
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Meh, I don't care.

Alex Jones is a moron, but frankly I could give two shits about gun control. Everyone misses the point when discussing it. It's not about having guns or not. It's about addressing their casual use in murder and suicide. Guns are chosen over other weapons because they are effective. You can toss out a bunch of statistics, like "gun deaths are smaller than other deaths" or "gun death has declined compared to gun ownership" and other stuff, but at the end of the day, people died tragically.

I have yet to see any serious rolled up sleeves discussion about the root of the problem, which is the culture itself. Paranoia over government takeovers, stoking fears of communism, ignoring healthcare and budgets while demanding lists of mentally ill and armed guards....these are all, frankly speaking, scapegoats and retarded. I've seen more red herrings in a Clue ending.

Gun control gets suggested in the form of bans and regulation because no one, not the lobbies, not the media, the politicians, or even most average citizens, have the stones to take a serious look inward at how fucked up people who do fucked up things get fucked up in the first place. Address that, and gun control becomes a non-issue.

Until then, we argue over symptoms, and often petty ones at that. That's not much comfort to the dead, or the loved ones who weep on their graves.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 23:30   Link #25698
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
People just need to be informed -- about everything. Thus a "news" thread. Keep in mind it has also largely to do with the national consensus. Same-sex marriage, space travel, abortion, everything. Generally the people at Harvard are pretty bright:

http://www.harvardlawreview.org/issu...mment_5867.php

EDIT: God damn it, Gundam, your sig .. contrary to the size of the image, is FRIGGIN' HUGE! I keep clicking it when I try to scroll drag the page!
Willix, Cass Sunstein? C'mon, have you read his book on the 1st amendment? He's hardly unbias on the issue and is quite frankly a statist of the worst kind.
Now, Solace is absolutely correct, the issue is our culture and nobody wants to address it.
I want to, but I'm in a very small minority on the issue of better mental health care for people, and an end to the wanton violence in the media.

However, weren't we supposed to be getting off this issue and back to the news at large (i.e. non-volatile subjects).
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 23:33   Link #25699
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
@Don - I'll reply once I get home.



Utter garbage. If the food industry disappears, where is the incentive for productivity?

Human beings are known to be passive. If there is no force to push them to make lives better, they won't do it.

If the market is stripped off the control of food supply, we would be eating soylent now.
Utter garbage is lack of logic you are putting into your post. How can an essential resource for life, such a food be lacking in an environment where the market is not involved? If you don't eat you die, that's all the incentive you'll ever need.

Oh perhaps you are talking about food being an abundant resource that can be exploited for capital gain? You are right on that one, food is a very profitable business that inspires industries to mass produce it. Where you think the idea of food for profit came from? McDonald's and Coca Cola!. They "revolutionized" the idea of food mass production. Then came Monsanto who started privatizing seeds world wide and developing genetically engineered crops that would only respond to Monsanto's pesticides while destroying the ecosystems they grow in. Lets not forget the fishing industry! many crazy people mumble: "We are over-fishing our seas and rivers to please the demands of the of the food industry" Baloney I say! The fishing industry is my savior after all it is putting caviar on my table. Yes you are right, the incentive for profit err I mean productivity is alive and well in the food industry.

Oh wait are you talking about food recipes? You mean that if there is no money to be made by growing food then we will all be eating plain white rice, beans and monkey balls? Yeah, you are right, people will cease to be creative in the way they cook their food, after all if there is no bling bling to be made why should we ever use my brain? Let's not also forget that our beloved grease hamburgers with Coca Cola and French fries would disappear too! can't let that happen.

I got good news for you, the food industry is actively seeking a way to privatize water. After all, all they are trying to do is to do is incentivize the distribution of fresh water to more arid areas of the world.

Viva la free market!
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2013-01-10 at 23:44.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 23:38   Link #25700
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Utter garbage is lack of logic you are putting into your post. How can an essential resource for life, such a food be lacking in an environment where the market is not involved? If you don't eat you die, that's all the incentive you'll ever need.

Oh perhaps you are talking about food being an abundant resource that can be exploited for capital gain? You are right on that one, food is a very profitable business that inspires industries to mass produce it. Where you think the idea of food for profit came from? McDonald's and Coca Cola! They "revolutionized" the idea of food mass production. Then came Monsanto who started privatizing seeds world wide and developing genetically engineered crops that would only respond to Monsanto's pesticides while destroying the ecosystems they grow in. Yes you are right, the incentive for profit err I mean productivity is alive and well in the food industry.

Oh wait are you talking about food recipes? You mean that if there is no money to be made by growing food then we will all be eating plain white rice, beans and monkey balls? Yeah, you are right, people will cease to be creative in the way they cook their food, after all if there is no bling bling to be made why should we ever use my brain? Let's not also forget that our beloved grease hamburgers with Coca Cola and French fries would disappear too! can't let that happen.


I got good news for you, the food industry is actively seeking a way to privatize water. After all, all they are trying to do is to do is incentivize the distribution of fresh water to more arid areas of the world.

Viva la free market!
ON this we agree.
Monsanto is trying to corner the market on seeds, and food production.
That is NOT acceptable by any measure.
It's one thing to protect "mom-and-pop" farms, it is quite another to protect megacorporations that are only interested in their profit margins.
The European Union has banned GMOs due to a French study linking them to cancer.
You are correct Sugetsu that we could feed our populations just fine, if we could get the government to better support small farmers and get the monopolies out of the business of food entirely.

Also, I can vouch for the megacorp food industries (Specifically ConAgra) trying to corner water rights out here in Colorado. They have lobbied the state government to shut off water to private farmers.

Although, Monsanto is the biggest threat right now.
http://www.organicconsumers.org/monsanto/news.cfm
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.