AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-01-11, 18:06   Link #221
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

it's up now, Looks like someone made it.
Old 2013-01-11, 22:57   Link #222
willx
Nyaaan~~

Oh wow, I just played my first DOTA in .. 5 years and I had no idea what I was doing or where anything was.. Haha.. good god it was horrifying..
Old 2013-01-12, 01:24   Link #223
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Oh wow, I just played my first DOTA in .. 5 years and I had no idea what I was doing or where anything was.. Haha.. good god it was horrifying..
Haha, yep, that's how it was for me when I first played HoN. Got used to that then got into DotA 2 and it's not so bad anymore xD.

DotA 2 is SUCH a time consumer. Good games last 45min long for me, next thing you know it's midnight haha.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 07:48   Link #224
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Like everyone else who has had a break for even 3 months. Forget everything
Old 2013-01-12, 16:15   Link #225
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Yeah, I played a couple games a week for several years, but I can't even make heads or tails of the DoTA 2 gameplay videos anymore. My DoTA fanatic friends from high school want me to return, but I doubt I'll have any degree of skill due to my break from playing.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 16:23   Link #226
willx
Nyaaan~~

Well, thing was, I assumed I'd be fine cause I play LoL ..

But even the UI differences are immense! I keep clicking part of the UI accidentally and screwing up all my pathfinding .. argh~!
Old 2013-01-12, 16:28   Link #227
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

It's not that hard, Play a few games and you can understand stuff pretty quickly, You can also try training with bots so you can take your time.
Old 2013-01-12, 17:01   Link #228
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

LoL and Dota, are similar in objectives, but in game play so far apart. But like Poetic Justice said, a few more games and you'll get your bearings on the game and it will become easier.

Then you start to pull out the blink dagger + euls and force staff pro moves and then income the ladies awhhhhh yeah....I think that's how it works...
Old 2013-01-12, 18:46   Link #229
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
LoL and Dota, are similar in objectives, but in game play so far apart.
This. If you've played HoN (Heroes of Newerth) then both objectives and gameplay are very similar. Don't worry, practice makes perfect . You just have to deal with trollers and ragers xP.

Old 2013-01-12, 23:12   Link #230
willx
Nyaaan~~

Yeah, it's not so much I find the game difficult, it's just I had become accustomed to certain things .. Aside from the UI issues, I also remember the stats and way heroes were played .. YEARS ago, the changes have .. surprised me .. :heH:

And as I said, I played DOTA years and years ago, so this is me "coming back to it" persay..

Last edited by willx; 2013-01-12 at 23:47.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 23:47   Link #231
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
LoL and Dota are completely different in objectives.

In Dota, it's a game of farming your carry (or carries) and your team comp is revolved around supporting or strengthening your carry (and shutting down the enemy carry). In LoL, everyone has about an equal important role much like a party in an RPG. Carries in LoL are merely damage dealers, but are incredibly squishy. Also, unlike Dota where most of the damage is autoattack physical based, LoL has an attack damage carry (physical autoattacker) and a ability power carry (spell damage). Supports and tanks play a much bigger role, in that tanks will take forever to kill and usually have good initiation tools but in return do no damage, and supports generally have great auras and defensive buffs and are usually the second tankiest targets making them bad focus targets unlike in dota where supports tend to get 2-3shot by carries. Supports are generally richer in LoL too due to availability of gold per 10 seconds masteries, runes and items like philosopher's stone and kage's lucky pick.

Dota spells don't scale in damage aside from a few items like Orchid (which is temporary) and aganihms whilst in LoL ability power means spells scale in damage aside from just merely upranking your spells. This means unlike dota where casters fall off, LoL remain relevant throughout the lategame, though to compensate, casters/nukers are no where near as powerful as dota casters in the early and midgame.

In Dota towers do significantly less dmg as LoL towers do about 3x more damage in comparison. This is one of the primary reasons why "trilanes" are viable in Dota where it isn't in LoL. There's also no such thing as a suicide lane in LoL where the top lane on the radiant and the bottom lane on the dire are "longer". This means that there are more strategies available in the laning phase in dota. In LoL, the laning phase is pretty much set in stone - 1 solo top (tanky dps, and in the midgame becomes the closest thing to a "dota carry"), 1 squishy ability power carry in the midlane (caster/nuker), 1 jungler and a squishy attack damage carry + support in the botlane (does not take any cs, relies on gold per 10 masteries, runes and items for gold).

There is also no denying in LoL and no gold loss per death, making it more a bit more friendly for casual players.

At the moment, LoL far exceeds in popularity and in "general polish" goes I would say LoL is better as dota does seem a bit clunky at times but that is largely due to dota being in beta. Atm, I follow LoL since that's where all the epsorts scene is (Starcraft 2 is in decline) but we will see in time whether dota2 can take some of that market share when it finally comes out of beta.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-01-12 at 23:59.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 00:19   Link #232
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

^Pretty good summary of the differences between LoL and Dota 2. One more point I'd add to that is the differing financial models in the respective competitive scenes. The LoL competitive scene largely receives centralised funding from Riot, which pays out all $5 million of the prize money each season. This makes it easier for teams around the world to make a living playing LoL if they are sufficiently skilled.

Dota 2, on the other hand, has decentralised funding in its competitive scene. Other than annual The International competitions, all other tournaments are privately funded. Because of this, there are very few fully-professional Dota 2 teams outside of China since no other region has a market large enough with sufficient market penetration to support professional teams.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 08:52   Link #233
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
LoL and Dota are completely different in objectives.
Objectives meaning you kill the towers then the racks then the fountain. You're talking about gameplay.

Not going to talk about LoL as it usually starts a silly war between the players. Instead going to talk about the new look for omniknight.
Spoiler for Large:

He looks awesome The new chest that was added, has the chance to drop the custom mount for disruptor too.
Old 2013-01-13, 17:08   Link #234
Blaat

As one of the few HoN players on this forum there are some elements I like in Dota2 which I want to see in HoN (vocal missing lane and the single button delivering item/returning to base for the courier) on the other hand there plenty of elements of HoN which I want to see in DotA2: concede option, starting with a courier, no secret shop, auto-level with guides and mid-wars.
Old 2013-01-13, 19:30   Link #235
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
on the other hand there plenty of elements of HoN which I want to see in DotA2: concede option, starting with a courier, no secret shop, auto-level with guides and mid-wars.
I believe their reasoning for not implementing a concede option was so that "trollers" just don't join and leave and make it 4v5 (or less) and let players concede after less than 5 min of starting. It wastes time on those 9 players and not to mention, it messes up a person's w:l ratio (not that I care but a lot of people do). So, it forces people to stay for the sake of rest of the team. I used to not like being able to concede especially when I was on a horrible team, but tbh, we're better off without it. I hated joining games like at leas 50% of the time where someone would end up leaving after dying to first blood and the team ending up conceding.

Don't join a game if you're not willing to play it through and if your playing solo match making, you should expect to be on a terribad team, otherwise, don't play, but that's just my opinion.

I do miss those in-game guides for all the heroes, they were so helpful hehe

Old 2013-01-13, 19:37   Link #236
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
He looks awesome The new chest that was added, has the chance to drop the custom mount for disruptor too.
I prefererd Omniknight during his DOTA incarnation where he was using a sword, not a hammer .. I've never been a big fan of hammers for some reason..
Old 2013-01-13, 20:07   Link #237
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanner View Post
I believe their reasoning for not implementing a concede option was so that "trollers" just don't join and leave and make it 4v5 (or less) and let players concede after less than 5 min of starting. It wastes time on those 9 players and not to mention, it messes up a person's w:l ratio (not that I care but a lot of people do). So, it forces people to stay for the sake of rest of the team. I used to not like being able to concede especially when I was on a horrible team, but tbh, we're better off without it. I hated joining games like at leas 50% of the time where someone would end up leaving after dying to first blood and the team ending up conceding.

Don't join a game if you're not willing to play it through and if your playing solo match making, you should expect to be on a terribad team, otherwise, don't play, but that's just my opinion.
Well said. It was explained on the Dota 2 forums why it hasn't been added. Also talked about by Puppey and Synderen on TalkDota.

Guides are in the making since August last year. I think the dev team are more concerned about balancing and bringing out all the hero's first though.

@Blaat Mid wars has been added. Secret shop is from Dota and wont be removed, not sure why you would want it removed either. Auto level up, would be pointless as its all situational in what you put your levels into. Starting with courier is a cool idea.

@Willx But a clergy man always needs a hammer Especially a Chuck Norris Omniknight.
Old 2013-01-13, 20:15   Link #238
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

I'd like the game to auto level up when there are no more abilities left to level up and just the stats.
Old 2013-01-13, 20:18   Link #239
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

I would love the game to add a leader board of some sort. Also a place to join inhouses instead of spammy chats or mIRC trolls.
Old 2013-01-14, 19:54   Link #240
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

I wish the russians would stop "going into EU-West servers and only speaking russian there, picking Riki and ending the game with 0-25-0 stats"... espacially when such a guy would be on my team :/

And what i heard about LoL... is that REALLY true? No gold loss for dying? free TP to base? no denies?