AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-12, 09:13   Link #121
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
On another note out of curiosity has anyone read the short story Rashomon by Ryunoske Akutagawa mentioned in Chihaya's class?

This is obviously what Akira Kurosawa's film was based on, I am just wondering how similar they are?

Edit: Well according to wikipedia the film is actually based on two of Akutagawa's stories. Hmm now I kind of want to read them myself.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 11:04   Link #122
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
Call me crazy, but find Sumire is very similar to elementary school Taichi: the dickish/snarky jokes/comments + trying to catch the person whose's eyes are on another person.
On the other hand, the animation seems to be suggesting a parallel between Sumire and Kana -- they both get the same eye-gleam and they both make claw gestures during the assembly.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 11:39   Link #123
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Marvelous way to ease back into the series. Is it a coincidence that the directors were able to use new first year club member orientations to give an overview of karuta for new viewers? It almost seems too perfect.

Something about this show makes me engage the compositional/directorial aspects of its material more dispassionately than with other series. I suppose it's because to this point the presentation of the core premise (karuta mixed with romance/a potential love triangle) still hasn't overcome my scepticism/doesn't appeal to my most basic interests yet to the point that I'm confident I can love it unconditionally/self-sustainably. What makes this series all the more impressive , however is that it therefore has managed to keep my interest so continually, surprising me with substantive new developments just as I start to wonder about whether the material has reached its limits.

In this particular case, these developments involved Chihaya's thrilling new declaration of ambition and the welcome conceit which brought forth her "I'm the ace!" affirmation. For myself, there is a tendency to abstract Chihaya sort of into an idealised representation of the fundamental virtues of karuta, interpreting the constantly evolving flux of the club members' conflicting priorities as a process converging ultimately towards some homogenized, perfect embodiment of karuta values. There was also a tendency within myself to see Chihaya as always more "right" than the others on a fundamental level. Chihaya's rude, non-facilitative outburst about being the "ace" of the karuta club threw in a spot of humourous humanity into her characterization, reminding me to treat her like a person. And Chihaya's answer to her teammates' priorities, by confessing an all-encompassing resolution to them, prevented me from following the subvertive train of thought that they are fundamentally misguided and still need to be corrected by Chihaya, the ostentatious avatar of karuta. No, as expressed by Chihaya's acceptance of all of their motivations, the senior team members are now each fully-fledged followers of karuta in themselves.

The introduction of the new (obviously flawed) first year female is by comparison less monumentally interesting, though of course I bear no contempt for the character herself. Her induction into the world of karuta will, inevitably, happen naturally. In fact, the special point of interest arises, at present, precisely in how her motivations seemingly mirror exactly Taichi's original impure/dishonest intentions towards karuta, which raises a narrative flag in Taichi's romantic subplot. Suppose that Sumire does precisely follow Taichi's lead in developing a genuine interest in karuta. By that moral, if engaging seriously in his desired partner's field of passion opens the road for Taichi to fulfill his romantic longing for her, the similar efforts from Sumire should do the same for her.

Anyway, it is very good to have this series back. I look forward to another 6 months with it.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 28/5 :: Locodol 50/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Sabagebu 28/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
Fall: Sora no Method 21/5 :: Karen Senki 6/5 :: Cross Ange 1/5 :: Shirobako 22/5 :: Yuuki Yuuna 23/5 :: Mushishi S2 100/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Sonohana twitter follow campaign: mikajyo_info :: rewards (anime adaptation if they reach 50000!!)
Exceptional shoujo manga: Last Game

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2013-01-12 at 11:50.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 11:44   Link #124
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Well Sumire/Taichi is possible if:
a) Chihaya marries Karuta
b) Chihaya goes after Arata
c) Sumire actually grows as a character and takes liking in Taichi as a person and just in model of obsession since do far she only cares about looks. Though she also will have to so something to get Taichi's attention, something decent and not just fangirling.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 12:43   Link #125
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
The introduction of the new (obviously flawed) first year female is by comparison less monumentally interesting, though of course I bear no contempt for the character herself. Her induction into the world of karuta will, inevitably, happen naturally. In fact, the special point of interest arises, at present, precisely in how her motivations seemingly mirror exactly Taichi's original impure/dishonest intentions towards karuta, which raises a narrative flag in Taichi's romantic subplot. Suppose that Sumire does precisely follow Taichi's lead in developing a genuine interest in karuta. By that moral, if engaging seriously in his desired partner's field of passion opens the road for Taichi to fulfill his romantic longing for her, the similar efforts from Sumire should do the same for her.
Okay I actually disagree partially in Sumire's comparison to Taichi here. Yes Taichi initially joined the Karuta club because of his feelings for Chihaya just like Sumire joined the karuta club because of her feelings for Taichi but Taichi's motivations for liking Chihaya were certainly not just "because she was the prettiest girl in school".

Taichi has known and been friends with Chihaya since she was a little girl and he has cared for her all that time. Of course as a child he didn't realize his feelings were love but certainly we can't say his feelings for her were motivated about having the "perfect girlfriend". In fact whereas Chihaya's personality can turn other guys away (as we see from how few guys joined the karuta club chasing after Chihaya), Taichi seems to love Chihaya more because of "who she is".

So my issue with Sumire was not that she joined the Karuta club for Taichi but her reasons for falling for Taichi seemed incredibly shallow to me.

However to give Sumire the benefit of the doubt I do expect her to learn to love Karuta like the other members (she wouldn't fit into the series otherwise) and perhaps her love for Taichi will grow that it is equal to Taichi's love for Chihaya (and not just about getting with the most popular/handsome boy in school) but instead loving Taichi for Taichi. If that happens perhaps I can even root for Sumire.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 13:28   Link #126
Qilin
Romanticist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 23
I'm liking Sumire's character so far. Her personality is clearly a product of the cosmopolitan culture that dominates much of society today, an antithesis to the traditional mindset that karuta is supposed to represent. I look forward to seeing how she can reconcile that apparent contrast. As such, I can sense a lot of potential for character growth within her, and if this episode was any indication, the gears have already begun to turn. Her decision to pursue Taichi despite the odds is in itself a great chunk of character development for her.

On another note, would that male first year be related to Sudo by any chance? I do wonder...
__________________
Damaged Goods
"There’s an up higher than up, but at the very top, down is all there is."
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 14:42   Link #127
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Okay I actually disagree partially in Sumire's comparison to Taichi here. Yes Taichi initially joined the Karuta club because of his feelings for Chihaya just like Sumire joined the karuta club because of her feelings for Taichi but Taichi's motivations for liking Chihaya were certainly not just "because she was the prettiest girl in school".

Taichi has known and been friends with Chihaya since she was a little girl and he has cared for her all that time. Of course as a child he didn't realize his feelings were love but certainly we can't say his feelings for her were motivated about having the "perfect girlfriend". In fact whereas Chihaya's personality can turn other guys away (as we see from how few guys joined the karuta club chasing after Chihaya), Taichi seems to love Chihaya more because of "who she is".

So my issue with Sumire was not that she joined the Karuta club for Taichi but her reasons for falling for Taichi seemed incredibly shallow to me.
Agreed. Taichi and Sumire's motivations may seem similar on the surface but they are not comparable at all. While Taichi didn't originally join the club out of a genuine interest for Karuta, he did not do so for a superficial reason either. He did it to help Chihaya, the girl he had been in love with for as far as he can remember. Sumire's reason for joining, on the other hand, is completely egotistical and shallow. She's only there because Taichi's hot.

Their situations are completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
On another note, would that male first year be related to Sudo by any chance? I do wonder...
The new guy does look like quite a sadist in his shot in the OP, but I don't think he's related to Sudou. If he is indeed a sadist, then I'm looking forward to a match between the two.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 15:56   Link #128
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
^Now that would be a lot of fun
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 16:24   Link #129
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
Let's not forget that Taichi enjoyed playing karuta as a child, maybe not with the passion that Chihaya & Arata did, but he did have fun. Unlike Sumire who knew nothing about and had no real interest in karuta when she joined, some of Taichi's happiest memories are associated with the game.

I didn't like Sumire at first. I thought she was added just for unnecessary drama. But right at the end, I saw some potential for growth into a likeable character. If that potential plays out, I could easily change my mind about her as the series progresses.
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 17:46   Link #130
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I'd say Sumire's interest in Taichi is similar to Taichi's ex-girlfriend (anyone remember her?), except she's proactive in her wants. I think the girls in this show have more balls than the guys...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
On the other hand, the animation seems to be suggesting a parallel between Sumire and Kana -- they both get the same eye-gleam and they both make claw gestures during the assembly.
Haha, true. She fits in quite well with the existing members.


Screw the shipping wars. Chihaya is greedy = maintain status quo.
/everyone loses
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 17:59   Link #131
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Okay I actually disagree partially in Sumire's comparison to Taichi here. Yes Taichi initially joined the Karuta club because of his feelings for Chihaya just like Sumire joined the karuta club because of her feelings for Taichi but Taichi's motivations for liking Chihaya were certainly not just "because she was the prettiest girl in school".
I'll add: no matter what his motivations for joining were, at least he took it seriously. Sumire's just acting like a bitch and getting in the way.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 18:05   Link #132
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
I'd say Sumire's interest in Taichi is similar to Taichi's ex-girlfriend (anyone remember her?), except she's proactive in her wants. I think the girls in this show have more balls than the guys...
For the love of God, don't bring her up again
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 18:28   Link #133
ginger02
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
OMG I didn't know it started already. I thought it was going to start in April.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 19:00   Link #134
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
Call me crazy, but find Sumire is very similar to elementary school Taichi: the dickish/snarky jokes/comments + trying to catch the person whose's eyes are on another person.
Yeaaaah, I can see that a little bit. Obviously there are some differences (as everyone else has already pointed out) but that does give me hope that she's going to be less shallow (well, that and immediately "getting" the poem).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
On another note, would that male first year be related to Sudo by any chance? I do wonder...
I was wondering about that too, I wondering what his motivation is for joining the club (please don't let him be interested in Chihaya, we've already got enough love-polygons going on!).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
Screw the shipping wars. Chihaya is greedy = maintain status quo.
/everyone loses
So what you're saying is, ship Chihaya with the entire club? xD
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 19:31   Link #135
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Sumire's just acting like a bitch and getting in the way.
Huh? I guess it's a personal interpretation of the meaning of the word, but I wouldn't say she's done anything "bitchy" as of yet. More like, very aggressive man-chaser. Is that being a bitch?

And getting in the way of what, I gotta ask? The non-existent love affair between Taichi and Chihaya? Even if that did exist, I would cheer her on.

Besides all that, like her or not, Sumire has brought a non-karuta-related liveliness to this show that none of the other characters have. Personality-wise, she's quite a firecracker, even if she does have a one-track mind (at least right now).
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 22:39   Link #136
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Huh? I guess it's a personal interpretation of the meaning of the word, but I wouldn't say she's done anything "bitchy" as of yet. More like, very aggressive man-chaser. Is that being a bitch?[

And getting in the way of what, I gotta ask? The non-existent love affair between Taichi and Chihaya? Even if that did exist, I would cheer her on.
Interrupting Chihaya's introductory talk to ask if Taichi has a girlfriend is more than just aggressive -- she's disrupting the club out of her own selfishness. Having a person like that around is the worst thing that can happen to an organization.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 02:12   Link #137
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
I'm liking Sumire's character so far. Her personality is clearly a product of the cosmopolitan culture that dominates much of society today, an antithesis to the traditional mindset that karuta is supposed to represent.
Yes. This is a very perceptive comment. Sumire is hardly shallow. Her motives may be, but such is the vocabulary given to her by her time and place. The anime has always been perfectly clear that personal beauty represents a real currency. In story, think of Chitose's unhappy career trying to make a living from her appearance. Out of story, think of the fact the mangaka did not go forward with her manga without making her main characters exceptionally, impossibly "hot". If Sumire is a satire, she is a satire upon some of the manga's own readers. She can't be faulted for shallowness when she looks for status where status actually is found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Okay I actually disagree partially in Sumire's comparison to Taichi here. Yes Taichi initially joined the Karuta club because of his feelings for Chihaya just like Sumire joined the karuta club because of her feelings for Taichi but Taichi's motivations for liking Chihaya were certainly not just "because she was the prettiest girl in school"....Taichi seems to love Chihaya more because of "who she is".
I don't know. Sumire's pursuit of Taichi resembles Taichi's pursuit of Chihaya in another important particular: in both cases, the affection is one-sided, a love from afar. As such, the passion necessarily expresses much more about the lover than it does about the beloved.

Sumire connects to Taichi on so many different levels. She and Taichi understand each other far more immediately and directly than Chihaya ever does Taichi. Their conversation on the train is a masterpiece of subtlety and implicit dialogue. When Sumire tells Taichi she is sure he can have his pick of girlfriends, she is in effect confessing to him without ever saying so. Taichi understands her at once: his glances at her tells her he knows what she is about, without saying anything explicitly. When he tells her she will have her pick of boyfriends, Sumire immediately understands he has just rejected her, and she exclaims to herself how much his rejection stings. The scene, with its double level of conversations, is worthy of something out of Austen or Henry James.

One last point of comparison. When Sumire rejects Taichi's rejection, she does so in order to affirm her own right to a choice: "I won't accept it! / I want to have a choice, too!" Against the passivity Taichi accords to the beloved, who must not choose him, but must wait for him to choose her instead, Sumire insists instead on her right to choose and to act with the same initiative as Taichi claims for himself. In making this parallel, the mangaka takes a point of view that is unabashedly feminist, and I think implicitly critical of Taichi's position. Ordinarily Suetsugu is a cultural conservative, but not as regards women.

Sumire is the latest in Suetsugu's sympathetic portraits of women in her marga, and now, this anime. Sumire is comic, she is both a target of satire and a means of satire, but in the end she is a sympathetic figure.
__________________
.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter

Last edited by hyperborealis; 2013-01-13 at 02:27.
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 05:30   Link #138
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
I'm a newcomer here, because apparently I suffer of blindness toward these kind of shows for some reasons (I got the same issue with Cross Game), so I had just finished marathoning Taichiyafuru season one. And the first thing that surprised me about this first episode was the perfect continuity between S1 and S2 in every aspect, like they didn't stop at all, but after all it's logical given they are following the source accurately (or so I read). But still it couldn't have taken for granted.

The episode was good as usual, perfect way to introduce Karuta rules again, and Kanade's marketing skills helped in recruiting new members. She already knew that this tactic would have attracted people for the wrong motives, I mean Taichi/Chihaya (btw, I think that even the guy came for him , or he was already interested in Karta ), so the next step is to strip the leaves. Go on Kanade!!
It was interesting even how every member had different goals, as should be after all, but since it isn't something they showed us often, that was another good way to flash out briefly the different characters.
I can't say anything about Sumire yet, since the show will sure give her room to grow, but I'm not disliking her so far. Surely she has not and never will have any chance with Taichi. He stated this clearly in this episode: he is devoted. So, now way.
Anyways I hoped they would have introduced a girl who could steal his heart. But, usually that kind of characters are introduced half a way, so there is still hope.

Anyways, after Taichi stoic declaration, I have depicted more or less how the show will end. Arata will steals the girl, but a nuclear war will destroy the world, so in a post-apocalyptic world Taichi will start his journey around Japan dedicating his life to fighting against the various ravagers who threaten the lives of the weak and innocent thanks to the seven stars of Karuta.
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 07:08   Link #139
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Huh? I guess it's a personal interpretation of the meaning of the word, but I wouldn't say she's done anything "bitchy" as of yet. More like, very aggressive man-chaser. Is that being a bitch?

And getting in the way of what, I gotta ask? The non-existent love affair between Taichi and Chihaya? Even if that did exist, I would cheer her on.
She's getting in the way of the club activities, as Utsuro no Hako said. As for "bitchy", she purposely tried to undermine Chihaya.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 08:25   Link #140
Yume Hanabi
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Almost every newbie is guilty of that. She was just the most vocal, but judging from the others' reaction, she was just expressing what they were all thinking.
__________________
Yume Hanabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cards, josei, sports

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.