AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-13, 11:23   Link #821
Anime Online
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard Duck View Post
The peasants in this world are already aware of the need for crop rotation, which they perform by leaving the parts of the field idle for a time. The Demon King's improved plan involves constant use of the fields and is supposed to work in a four year cycle. I expect that it'll take more than four years for the peasants to see themselves that the Demon King's method of field rotation does preserve the soil quality and thus come to rely on that method.

And then the Demon King is only teaching the method to one rather backward village on the frontier. It will take even longer for people in other regions to notice that this village has a better method of crop rotation and to copy the method, which further delays how long the improved results can be used to intensify war efforts. (This paragraph assumes she's not going to go around teaching all the frontier villages her new method of rotation but rather leaving the spreading to the current village)

I think Maou is going to solve many different problems as the show goes on. In one episode, she laid the groundwork for solving food shortage and education (Yuusha doesn't even know what education is). In the next episode, she'll probably move on to something else. I don't think we'll see the actual process of her work spreading throughout the kingdoms. Perhaps there will be a short clip of peasants celebrating the harvest to show they are having more than enough to eat.

It just isn't very exciting to watch Maou visiting different villages and repeating the same process.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 12:07   Link #822
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
On the subject of increasing agricultural supply, I can see this totally backfiring on her. What if the rulers took the increased food supply from the peasants and send them to the front lines? During times of war, it is not uncommon for feudal rulers to squeeze their peasant tax base to fund their military adventures. What this means is that Maou's actions could lead to an intensification of the human war effort. A better supplied army could march further and fight longer. Then again, this is an anime, so perhaps the ruler could be totally blissfully unaware their peasants are producing much more food than in the past.
Also, the local village could just store and/or sell the excess to improve their area and send only what they are alloted to send for the military. Increase production potentially means more food and money for themselves.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 12:18   Link #823
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
On the subject of increasing agricultural supply, I can see this totally backfiring on her. What if the rulers took the increased food supply from the peasants and send them to the front lines? During times of war, it is not uncommon for feudal rulers to squeeze their peasant tax base to fund their military adventures.
It makes sense what you say, but do not forget that Maou choose this village because it is poor and far from any important route, after the plan is successful it will take time for news of it to reach the capital and it will take years to forget this is a poor area, remember how in the first chapter they burn to death some serfs (using the demon invasion as an excuse) because they do not have enough food. Besides people get used to been well feed, if the king increases taxation to the point they are back at starving in the winter they would have to deal with peasants revolts (and they can be terrible, I have felt the effects in several board war strategy games >_< )
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 12:56   Link #824
Random Wanderer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
The king here isn't stupid. We saw him and the prince talking in episode 1. They know that the central country has them essentially in a stranglehold due to the war-funding, and they don't like it. They know that right now their people can't feed themselves. When they learn of a new method of agriculture that can change that, that can get them out from under the grip of the central country, they're not going to do something stupid with the idea and waste it. They want this.
__________________
<img src=http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/5491/girlsundpanzermakoxsodo.png border=0 alt= />
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 13:00   Link #825
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Episode 2 isn't exactly riveting material, but it's pretty solid, and I like the way these protagonists carry themselves. The three maids add some welcomed character diversity and color to the show.

This show definitely seems like a slow-burner to me. I'm enjoying it for now. Major kudos for making the main romance seem quaintly charming without hardly a hint of fanservice. Impressive restraint given the appearance of the Demon King.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 18:28   Link #826
InfiniteDBZ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Age: 21
My main concern is where does the Hero fit into all of this. I'm eagerly awaiting his role in all of this, considering the Demon King is smart and has the plans to solve the country problems of food, education ect.

Hopefully he can prove his worth.
InfiniteDBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 18:57   Link #827
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 34
Verse 2: Please Make Us Human

The more I immersed in this fantasy world the more I get interested to read about and know more about our real world's Western Medieval History.

Maou's plan to bring sustainable agriculture and food to all of the people sounds right. The most effective tool is education, because by educating the illiterate and less knowledgeable those people rise in the prominence of their intellects to contribute new ideas and participating in society.
Educating the poor and less fortunate has a big impact, because they coming from a background of misery and scarcity can greatly appreciate and value the impact of gaining knowledge to make it work into a system that's going to produce for the benefit of the overall communities, which in turn will positively reflect in the growth for both human and demons.

The only problem is that people coming from privileged backgrounds not always will agree to the newer idea proposed, or even they'll keep seeing the non-aristocratic folk as insects.
Let us also take turn that people coming from an illiterate and poor background not all of its members are going to agree to education, if they remained stubborn to something like old-fashioned convictions.

Fortunately, the key to education lies at teaching the youngsters like Maou is doing for those two sisters. They, in turn, will help other poor folks from their generation like themselves at educating them, thus perpetuating the cycle and making all communities to grow internally.


BTW, Maou and Hero make up for quite a natural chemistry among them, and they were just that tiny breadth of hair from almost kissing each other.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 19:01   Link #828
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDBZ View Post
My main concern is where does the Hero fit into all of this. I'm eagerly awaiting his role in all of this, considering the Demon King is smart and has the plans to solve the country problems of food, education ect.

Hopefully he can prove his worth.
I like the Hero, and I like how he's aware of and reflective about his own glaring inadequacies. As long as he acts upon that and gets taught by the Demon King, it's all good.

But I really hope he does that, because if the man is still befuddled by "Economics" and "Education" by the end of this narrative, that's just sad.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 19:22   Link #829
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I like the Hero, and I like how he's aware of and reflective about his own glaring inadequacies. As long as he acts upon that and gets taught by the Demon King, it's all good.

But I really hope he does that, because if the man is still befuddled by "Economics" and "Education" by the end of this narrative, that's just sad.
A lot of people are gainfully employed in our modern world in an intellectual capacity while knowing little to nothing of economics, especially macroeconomics. For example, there is a certain discrimination against social sciences from natural scientists because social sciences are ludicrously imprecise and underdeveloped compared to natural sciences.

Sheriff would be an obvious choice of peace time employment for someone with the Hero's talents. An alternative solution where the Hero finds his own peacetime niche would be in some ways better than if he ends up being the Demon King's perpetual pupil in economics and education.
__________________
Graveyard Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 19:42   Link #830
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Đế Quốc Đại Việt Thần Thánh
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDBZ View Post
My main concern is where does the Hero fit into all of this. I'm eagerly awaiting his role in all of this, considering the Demon King is smart and has the plans to solve the country problems of food, education ect.

Hopefully he can prove his worth.
Demon King is smart but lack of pyshical strengh, so she need Hero in the part of military and fighting.
__________________
War! War never changes
Panzerklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 19:46   Link #831
kagato3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard Duck View Post
The peasants in this world are already aware of the need for crop rotation, which they perform by leaving the parts of the field idle for a time. The Demon King's improved plan involves constant use of the fields and is supposed to work in a four year cycle. I expect that it'll take more than four years for the peasants to see themselves that the Demon King's method of field rotation does preserve the soil quality and thus come to rely on that method.
No they should be seeing resualts within the first year by reduceing the need for extra grazeing land allowing more farming land as fallow feilds are unuseable for grazeing and by haveing a foder crop more livestock could be kept through winter. with out this nearly all livestock would need to be slaughtered before winter and meat spoils much quicker then feed. So in one years time you would have both more useable farmland and a grater sulpy of meat durring the winter and early spring.

Quote:
And then the Demon King is only teaching the method to one rather backward village on the frontier. It will take even longer for people in other regions to notice that this village has a better method of crop rotation and to copy the method, which further delays how long the improved results can be used to intensify war efforts. (This paragraph assumes she's not going to go around teaching all the frontier villages her new method of rotation but rather leaving the spreading to the current village)
Well barring the question of if the Demon Lord has other plans to spread this knowlage. Is it right to assume that this is a backwards village? All we know is that this village is fairly close to the gate. There also seems to be a fairly high number of nobles/upper class near by since she was able to get 3 students. There also seem to be a fairly large number of buildings nor does it seem to be a surfdom since Demon King fouced on convincing the village elder instead of a local lord. the sisters were also passing trough it to get to the capital so it is most likely a local trade hub.
__________________
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.

kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 20:09   Link #832
Snuffle
likes cute things
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Searching for more imoutos
Age: 33
Interesting discussion going on here, too bad I'm pretty dim when it comes to economics. Therefore, I'm mostly just gonna have to lurk this thread.
So far I'm liking this show, reminds me of Spice and Wolf (same writer?). Nice gentle personalities, not over the top. Beautiful artwork and style, very fluid as well. The plot has me interested on how things will progress and like someone else said, I'm wondering what the purpose of the "hero" in this show is, if he even has one besides being the trigger for the Maou to being her plan.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 20:42   Link #833
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
No they should be seeing resualts within the first year by reduceing the need for extra grazeing land allowing more farming land as fallow feilds are unuseable for grazeing and by haveing a foder crop more livestock could be kept through winter. with out this nearly all livestock would need to be slaughtered before winter and meat spoils much quicker then feed. So in one years time you would have both more useable farmland and a grater sulpy of meat durring the winter and early spring.
There are two separate concerns for the farmland:
1. Annual productivity.
2. Sustainability.

Productivity is, as you and Anh_Minh observed, obvious within the year, because all of the land is being used to produce food year round. However, sustainability is not as obvious. It's only when crop is planted into the divisions that were used for clover and turnips that the farmers can observe that the clover an turnip grazing fields help sustain soil nutrients. Since the rotation is on a four year cycle, with each division rotated annually, it would take more than a year for the farmers to observe sustainability.

Quote:
Well barring the question of if the Demon Lord has other plans to spread this knowlage. Is it right to assume that this is a backwards village? All we know is that this village is fairly close to the gate. There also seems to be a fairly high number of nobles/upper class near by since she was able to get 3 students. There also seem to be a fairly large number of buildings nor does it seem to be a surfdom since Demon King fouced on convincing the village elder instead of a local lord. the sisters were also passing trough it to get to the capital so it is most likely a local trade hub.
The Demon King and the Hero refer to the village as non-flourishing, newly settled, and small toward the start of the episode. It is possible for for such a village to still be important and non-backwater, but the impression I got is that the village is neither important nor influential--the Demon King said people in flourishing places would not listen to them. Thus, the village would not be suited for spreading knowledge quickly.

The three students were a nobleman's son, a soldier's son, and a merchant's son, each in the singular. They are not much proof of the village's importance--the opposite, I'd say, since a nobleman is not likely to send his son to an unknown traveling scholar if he were near some kind of important trade center; he would instead have used someone more established.
__________________
Graveyard Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 20:47   Link #834
GundamZZ
残念美人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
Interesting discussion going on here, too bad I'm pretty dim when it comes to economics. Therefore, I'm mostly just gonna have to lurk this thread.
So far I'm liking this show, reminds me of Spice and Wolf (same writer?). Nice gentle personalities, not over the top. Beautiful artwork and style, very fluid as well. The plot has me interested on how things will progress and like someone else said, I'm wondering what the purpose of the "hero" in this show is, if he even has one besides being the trigger for the Maou to being her plan.
I guess anime failed to deliver the message.
As the traditional RPG, hero's purpose is to kill maou. Maou's occupation is to bring chaos and miserable to the world. So, yuusha's occupation is love and peace. In this story, yuusha questions the validity of yuusha's action. Even yuusha kill maou, he cannot end the war. Of course, yuusha somehow knows it. This world's hero understands human world' politics. So, maou's grand knowledge, or her charming body, convinced him.
__________________
流麗のヒステリア Hysteria of flowing beautifully
三つ腕のリヒティ Lichty of three arms
重剣のクロエ Chloe of giant sword
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 21:07   Link #835
Anime Online
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I like the Hero, and I like how he's aware of and reflective about his own glaring inadequacies. As long as he acts upon that and gets taught by the Demon King, it's all good.

But I really hope he does that, because if the man is still befuddled by "Economics" and "Education" by the end of this narrative, that's just sad.

Yuusha is acting in the role of the audience. He doesn't know what's going on or why Maou is doing certain actions, so he asks questions that the audience may "get it". This role is important if the story material is new or unfamiliar to the audience.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 21:10   Link #836
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
So, Maou's grand knowledge, or useless meat, convinced him.
There, clarified it a bit

We have a saying over here, "a pair of boobs has more pull than a pair of oxes"
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 21:28   Link #837
Cyprene
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
So far I'm liking this show, reminds me of Spice and Wolf (same writer?). Nice gentle personalities, not over the top. Beautiful artwork and style, very fluid as well. The plot has me interested on how things will progress and like someone else said, I'm wondering what the purpose of the "hero" in this show is, if he even has one besides being the trigger for the Maou to being her plan.
Demon King is the brains and he's the muscle. Without going into details, we know he's strong enough that he was able to ditch his party and walk all the way to the Demon King's castle on his own. If you were going to try and do that in Dragon Quest 3, what level would you have to be at? 80? 99? Could you pull it off with anything less than top tier equipment? And if you were at that level, could anything less than army stop you?
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 21:38   Link #838
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
There's a term that gets bandied a bit when describing the Hero: Singularity. That should tell you just how overpowered he is, at least on the martial side of things.

Take note, there's only one other being in the setting that gets tagged with that moniker.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 21:42   Link #839
Random Wanderer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
Demon King is the brains and he's the muscle. Without going into details, we know he's strong enough that he was able to ditch his party and walk all the way to the Demon King's castle on his own. If you were going to try and do that in Dragon Quest 3, what level would you have to be at? 80? 99? Could you pull it off with anything less than top tier equipment? And if you were at that level, could anything less than army stop you?
Well, people have described him as being the generic RPG hero. Given that the Maou would be the final boss, that would mean he is probably the most powerful being in the world.
__________________
<img src=http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/5491/girlsundpanzermakoxsodo.png border=0 alt= />
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 22:10   Link #840
Snuffle
likes cute things
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Searching for more imoutos
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
I guess anime failed to deliver the message.
As the traditional RPG, hero's purpose is to kill maou. Maou's occupation is to bring chaos and miserable to the world. So, yuusha's occupation is love and peace. In this story, yuusha questions the validity of yuusha's action. Even yuusha kill maou, he cannot end the war. Of course, yuusha somehow knows it. This world's hero understands human world' politics. So, maou's grand knowledge, or her charming body, convinced him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
Demon King is the brains and he's the muscle. Without going into details, we know he's strong enough that he was able to ditch his party and walk all the way to the Demon King's castle on his own. If you were going to try and do that in Dragon Quest 3, what level would you have to be at? 80? 99? Could you pull it off with anything less than top tier equipment? And if you were at that level, could anything less than army stop you?
Hmm never thought of it that way. So the Hero is supposably strong enough to solo the final boss yet he steps down thanks to the Maou's negotiation techniques. However, now that the Hero has become neutral along with the Maou, and the Maou is the one spreading knowledge, what is really left for the Hero to do? Is he just going to monitor how the Maou spreads her knowledge? Is he going to become traitor to the king in favor of Maou's way of living? What really is his purpose? That's what I hoping to get revealed somehow.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.