AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-14, 03:42   Link #161
fukarming
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
It's risky to introduce new characters. Their story may become too minor later. I can see why there are Taichi haters out there. Taichi swiftly rejects Sumire's love quest. Also, he's too confident with girls. It seems he admits it is usually girls asking him out. Maybe he has dated many girls at same time. No wonder there are Taichi haters. p.s. Their hate is rage, not jealousy...not jealousy.
There are Taichi haters? What do they hate him for? He is simply stating a fact that girls always come on to him.

For the last 26 episode/105 chapter of manga all I see is "perfect man - Taichi". Everyone in the world should watch Chihaya Furu and learn to become Taichi

As for Sumire's hate, well the Karuta club is doing bait and switch. They should expect to see that coming. If someone told me they are feeding me free food but instead give me a 3 hour boring lecture on something I am not interested (which happened alot in real life, about crooked company want you to buy/invest), I will interupt and ask where is my food
__________________
They came first for sharks fin,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sharks fin.
Then they came for foie gras,I didn't speak up because I don't eat foie gras.
Then they came for Toro (bluefin tuna) sushi,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sushi.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 03:52   Link #162
Blaat
AS member for 10 years
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
There are Taichi haters who complain about his behaviour every time he blinks. I remember reading blog posts by such a hater during the first season it was pretty funny.

While I don't like Sumire I did like some of her comedic moments and I really like her voice, I hope to hear more of her seiyuu in the future.
__________________
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 04:20   Link #163
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
For the last 26 episode/105 chapter of manga all I see is "perfect man - Taichi". Everyone in the world should watch Chihaya Furu and learn to become Taichi
When you're possessive and obsessive over a girl but handsome, that's devotion.
When you're possessive and obsessive over a girl but average/ugly, call the freakin' cops man!
/facts of life
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 08:41   Link #164
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
^^ So, is a flaw of him that he is handsome?
I didn't think there were so many Taichi's haters at this point. I mean, he has grown so much since he was a kid. (Or probably is it because of that?).

Talking about Sumire, I dont' know how she will evolve, but I hope she wouldn't lose her apparent straightforwardness, just to add a bit of a spicy flavor to the show.
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 09:30   Link #165
Yume Hanabi
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
It's not a flaw of him, it's just double standards in our society.
__________________
Yume Hanabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 09:57   Link #166
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
When you're possessive and obsessive over a girl but handsome, that's devotion.
When you're possessive and obsessive over a girl but average/ugly, call the freakin' cops man!
/facts of life
Except Taichi doesn't take it to creepy levels. His "devotion" is harmless to everybody, save for perhaps himself. He's not one of those "handsome bad boys" you see so often in Shoujo. Thank god for that.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 15:20   Link #167
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Yes, but Sumire is getting a lot of hate here for her harmless and non-creepy devotion, while Taichi (mostly) gets nothing but love. I think Quadratic and Yume Hanabi are clueing us in to Suetsugu-sensei's point in bringing Sumire into the story.
__________________
.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 15:37   Link #168
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Yes, but Sumire is getting a lot of hate here for her harmless and non-creepy devotion, while Taichi (mostly) gets nothing but love. I think Quadratic and Yume Hanabi are clueing us in to Suetsugu-sensei's point in bringing Sumire into the story.
No, she's getting a lot of hate for her rudeness. Nobody cares if she wants to throw herself at Taichi, but if her vector of attack is to join his club, then she should show the club, the second years, and their stated goals a modicum of respect.

Besides, she isn't devoted to Taichi. She just sees him as a prize she could brag about. There's no love there. Just pride. (Not that I care. I wouldn't see love as an excuse for her attitude, and at least Taichi's smart enough to see right through her.)

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2013-01-14 at 16:22.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 16:04   Link #169
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Besides, she isn't devoted to Taichi. She just sees him as a prize she could brag about. There's no love there. Just pride. (Not that I care. I would see love as an excuse for her attitude, and at least Taichi's smart enough to see right through her.)
Exactly. Sumire's interest in Taichi is as shallow as it gets (for now), there's no love nor devotion here. She's only going after Taichi to get back to her former boyfriend. The flak she gets is actually deserved. It's not a matter of us putting Taichi on a pedestal. Perhaps we are being too harsh on Sumire though... she's only a fifteen years old girl after all. Her attitude isn't uncommon.

Speaking of Sumire, the poem that made her cry should be familiar to those who watched UtaKoi (highly recommended you do if you like Chihayafuru). Knowing the context behind the poems adds another layer of enjoyability to the show.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 17:11   Link #170
Blaat
AS member for 10 years
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Yes, but Sumire is getting a lot of hate here for her harmless and non-creepy devotion, while Taichi (mostly) gets nothing but love. I think Quadratic and Yume Hanabi are clueing us in to Suetsugu-sensei's point in bringing Sumire into the story.
To be fair a lot of people hated Taichi during early Chihayafuru season one and look what happened afterwards.
__________________
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 17:39   Link #171
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Honestly I can't see a direct connection between judging Taichi and Sumire. I mean, I think Sumire has been bitchy, it is a matter of fact to me. And I think that was the purpose. No hate here.
Surely the indirect implication of her behavior has been as often happens, first, to flash out Kanade's resolve and backbone handling her, and last to point out another Taichi's inner little step.
In response to a question about his high-popularity among the girls he stated that he prefers to chose instead of being chosen. In context, he implicitly admitted of being aware of his popularity, but that wasn't the point there. And in any case, he is popular and it's not something he should feel guilty for.
The main point, to me, was that he had a girlfriend once whose he didn't care and at that time apparently he even didn't care not caring for her. In this episode he made clear that he won't make the same error twice. And, I admit, I couldn't avoid to be pleased by that.
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.

Last edited by Arya; 2013-01-14 at 18:02.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 17:56   Link #172
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
People mostly hate Taichi for his cold behavior towards Arata, especially as a kid when he stole his glasses.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 18:03   Link #173
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
when he stole his glasses.
But that's old news, and he redeemed himself aplenty for what he did.

Heck, I did worse things when I was a kid.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 00:08   Link #174
fukarming
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post

The main point, to me, was that he had a girlfriend once whose he didn't care and at that time apparently he even didn't care not caring for her. In this episode he made clear that he won't make the same error twice. And, I admit, I couldn't avoid to be pleased by that.
So you dislike Suzumiya Haruhi and Soga Genzo (cheeky angel) as well? Both of them agree to go out with anyone that ask them and not care for them (and dump them soon).
__________________
They came first for sharks fin,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sharks fin.
Then they came for foie gras,I didn't speak up because I don't eat foie gras.
Then they came for Toro (bluefin tuna) sushi,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sushi.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 01:53   Link #175
Ingram
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Her grand declaration (which was typical Chihaya) wouldn't have been enough to make me give up on her :p

I actually found it kind of endearing that she intends to make 100 friends. I suppose I've gotten used to her...
It didn't occur to me while I was watching the episode, but as people here keep talking about the "100 friends" remark, I was starting to think about B Gata H Kei... ^^;;;;;
Ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 02:35   Link #176
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
I didn't think there were so many Taichi's haters at this point. I mean, he has grown so much since he was a kid. (Or probably is it because of that?).
Not really hating, just pointing out Sumire isn't as bad as what Taichi has done in the past, so she can do a whole lot worse before she gets my "hate".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Except Taichi doesn't take it to creepy levels. His "devotion" is harmless to everybody, save for perhaps himself. He's not one of those "handsome bad boys" you see so often in Shoujo. Thank god for that.
Er, I consider him to be portrayed as one of those "tragic handsome bad boys".
As Yume Hanabi understood, if we replaced Taichi with an uglier guy, a lot more people would (probably) be up in arms over his actions (with respect to the whole love triangle issue, which is really the only place where Taichi's ugly side comes up).
His 'creepy' factor is dependent how good looking he is while being possessive.
Better looking -> knight in shining armor .
Uglier -> monster, kill it with fire !
Anyway, this isn't really about bashing Taichi (despite how humorous it is to do), it was about comparing Taichi and Sumire and how bad is she really doing on her introduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
No, she's getting a lot of hate for her rudeness. Nobody cares if she wants to throw herself at Taichi, but if her vector of attack is to join his club, then she should show the club, the second years, and their stated goals a modicum of respect.

Besides, she isn't devoted to Taichi. She just sees him as a prize she could brag about. There's no love there. Just pride. (Not that I care. I wouldn't see love as an excuse for her attitude, and at least Taichi's smart enough to see right through her.)
So, why aren't we hating all the kurata members (excluding Chihaya) for wanting to prioritize themselves over the 1st years.
Is it because the 1st years were rude first, so they're allowed to be petty about it?
I'm willing to bet that that was already their mindset before Sumire revealed the true intentions of the (nearly?) entire group of 1st years and I'm wondering how the first years will be able to break into the group because of how tight-knit the five are (ok, judging by the OP, only two will break in ).

Regarding Sumire, there's no love, but she's looking for love which she's said a few times.
Obviously in her mind, finding love involves going out and being proactive catch their attention.
I don't think Taichi sees right through her. He just doesn't care about her or her motives.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 02:44   Link #177
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
So, why aren't we hating all the kurata members (excluding Chihaya) for wanting to prioritize themselves over the 1st years.
Is it because the 1st years were rude first, so they're allowed to be petty about it?
I'm willing to bet that that was already their mindset before Sumire revealed the true intentions of the (nearly?) entire group of 1st years and I'm wondering how the first years will be able to break into the group because of how tight-knit the five are (ok, judging by the OP, only two will break in ).
"Karuta"'s right there in the name of the club. The second years want to participate, even if they have different priorities, and those priorities aren't "raising the first years". And they train seriously. The first years just want to gawk at Taichi, and are noisy and unpleasant about it.

Quote:
Regarding Sumire, there's no love, but she's looking for love which she's said a few times.
Obviously in her mind, finding love involves going out and being proactive catch their attention.
I don't think Taichi sees right through her. He just doesn't care about her or her motives.
She's not looking for love. She's looking for bragging rights.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 03:14   Link #178
fukarming
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post


Er, I consider him to be portrayed as one of those "tragic handsome bad boys".
As Yume Hanabi understood, if we replaced Taichi with an uglier guy, a lot more people would (probably) be up in arms over his actions (with respect to the whole love triangle issue, which is really the only place where Taichi's ugly side comes up).
His 'creepy' factor is dependent how good looking he is while being possessive.
Better looking -> knight in shining armor .
Uglier -> monster, kill it with fire !
Anyway, this isn't really about bashing Taichi (despite how humorous it is to do), it was about comparing Taichi and Sumire and how bad is she really doing on her introduction.
I kinda deviate the discussion from comparing Sumire and Taichi to wondering why others bach Taichi. and yes, I completely agree that Taichi is the "tragic handsome boy"

It seems you really believe Taichi will be considered creepy if he is not good looking. Have you watch School Rumble? Do you consider Hanai Haruki creepy? He is average to good looking (not as good looking as Taichi, I will admit), good at sports and study (just like Taichi) and very creepy in my opinion. Compare to him Taichi is the ideal guy. As many others said, Taichi is harmless (Chihaya certainly don't mind him being around) while most females dislike having a creepy guy around (Yakumo dislike Hanai around)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
So, why aren't we hating all the kurata members (excluding Chihaya) for wanting to prioritize themselves over the 1st years.
Is it because the 1st years were rude first, so they're allowed to be petty about it?
I'm willing to bet that that was already their mindset before Sumire revealed the true intentions of the (nearly?) entire group of 1st years and I'm wondering how the first years will be able to break into the group because of how tight-knit the five are (ok, judging by the OP, only two will break in ).

Regarding Sumire, there's no love, but she's looking for love which she's said a few times.
Obviously in her mind, finding love involves going out and being proactive catch their attention.
I don't think Taichi sees right through her. He just doesn't care about her or her motives.
This part I agree. The Karuta club bait the 1st year with Taichi. There is nothing wrong with that, since they need members. But don't cry foul when they only interested with the bait.

Since it is in the OP I don't consider that as spoiler, if Karuta club do a formal introduction (like playing a mock match in the assembly), they will probably have 1 member, instead they have 2, so a 100% increase so their strategy is a success.
__________________
They came first for sharks fin,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sharks fin.
Then they came for foie gras,I didn't speak up because I don't eat foie gras.
Then they came for Toro (bluefin tuna) sushi,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sushi.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 03:46   Link #179
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Exactly. Sumire's interest in Taichi is as shallow as it gets (for now), there's no love nor devotion here. She's only going after Taichi to get back to her former boyfriend. The flak she gets is actually deserved. It's not a matter of us putting Taichi on a pedestal. Perhaps we are being too harsh on Sumire though... she's only a fifteen years old girl after all. Her attitude isn't uncommon.
However deserved the flak may be, the loud contempt shown for Sumire on this forum is not the response invited or intended by the anime. Take the infamous moment where Sumire derails the club's presentation with her question about whether Taichi has a girlfriend. None of the characters evince any contempt: the other first years laugh and congratulate Sumire, most of the second years are taken aback, and only Kana (as expected of our etiquette queen) reprimands Sumire, but purely on a point of protocol, for talking out of turn. As it plays out in the schoolroom, among the characters in the room, the scene is mainly comic. We're supposed to laugh, not be outraged.

No doubt Sumire's initial impulse in looking for a boyfriend is vindictive, as you point out. She tells herself that as she looks around the auditorium, noticing some cute guy in Class 1, and jotting down something in her little notebook. Then Taichi and Chihaya come out, and Sumire--and all the other girls--are simply thunderstruck. She locks onto Taichi just because he is so overwhelmingly attractive. As the shared reactions make clear, she is following at this point not her personal agenda, but responding directly to Taichi himself. We can debate whether this is love at first sight, but this is the place where all love starts, that moment where you see someone you think attractive, and then everything else follows. To deride Sumire's feeling at this moment as shallow is simply mean-spirited.

Finally, the anime does a lot of work to show how Sumire's motives develop within the episode itself, mainly via her reaction to the title poem. She understands the poem as an inspiration to seize the day, to live now before youth and beauty fade. Then, after her conversation with Taichi on the train, she makes the poem a reason to reject his advice to sit passively and wait for some guy to choose her, insisting instead "I want to have a choice, too! / I... / don't want to write poems about regrets!" At this point Sumire's motives for chasing Taichi have everything to do with being the kind of person she wants to be, a woman who can choose and act for herself. We are supposed to respect her for the way she incorporates the various meanings of the poem into her life. And we are supposed to admire her for the strength and independence of character she manifests at this moment. At the episode's close Sumire's motives are anything but shallow.
__________________
.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 03:51   Link #180
Blaat
AS member for 10 years
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
People mostly hate Taichi for his cold behavior towards Arata, especially as a kid when he stole his glasses.
Not only that, he also had a girlfriend (which people brought up a lot and by a lot I mean after every episode )and yet he still went on a trip with Chihaya and tried to grab her hand. There was also the lack excitement about the karuta club and people felt he was in the way.

Really, with the exception of a handful of people, majority of the Taichi fans became fans of him after the character development kicked in.

Which is why I find the accusation of double standards funny because if you compare early Taichi with early Sumire (which you should be doing as comparing as Sumire is at the moment a 2D character and Taichi isn't) than the level of hate they're getting is roughly the same.

Ultimately though I feel like the entire thing just boils down to shipping. And I do think Sumire is introduced to keep us second guessing about Chihaya/Taichi/Arata triangle and to create a potential other romantic interest for Taichi. Arata at this point already has one, actually he has two.
__________________
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cards, josei, sports

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.