AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Old 2013-01-17, 08:15   Link #1241
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Actually, that is the first prototype Ninja theory sends to capcom but they rejected it feeling that he looks too similar to old dante and would rather create their own game if that was the case. So they decided for Ninja theory to re-design it and the design that was accepted is that shitty design during the 2010 TGS trailer.

Also, yes the sad thing is they didn't implement that rebellion in the game. It remains as a bland generic western sword till in the end.
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 08:16   Link #1242
demino_hellsin
That one guy

...My faith in capcom is less now. *facepalm*
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 08:19   Link #1243
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Crapcom, cashcom they have many names now a days.
Old 2013-01-17, 08:39   Link #1244
GN0010 Nosferatu
Thunder Cloud 編隊!

At least NT tried to keep Dante up with his old design.

Fucking Capcom....
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 08:45   Link #1245
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrave View Post
Actually, that is the first prototype Ninja theory sends to capcom but they rejected it feeling that he looks too similar to old dante and would rather create their own game if that was the case. So they decided for Ninja theory to re-design it and the design that was accepted is that shitty design during the 2010 TGS trailer.

Also, yes the sad thing is they didn't implement that rebellion in the game. It remains as a bland generic western sword till in the end.
Ah, I remember that story...

So Dante's face and haircut was intended like that from the start but the outfit is more acceptable IMO. Also agreed with the sword, it looks cool although quite far from the original. That's a good redesign.

Haven't seen the walkthrough video, but did they keep the cigarette in the game?
Old 2013-01-17, 08:47   Link #1246
demino_hellsin
That one guy

this whole fiasco could have been safely avoided if proper PR was in place. Actual thought was used in making this. Also, listen to antis proper concerns instead of just treating it as blind hatred.

I honestly can't love this game only due to bad publicity(anti). I'm not even going to play it even if someone paid me to. However I can say objectively that this is a good game. If only crass, which was GoW's thing, and excessively emphasizing on brutality, still GoW's thing. I don't see the idea of awesomeness here. That crazy insane stuff that you go through and come out of saying "What the hell was that? I wanna do it again.". If I have to play this game to get it... then I'll never understand D:
Old 2013-01-17, 08:49   Link #1247
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
At least NT tried to keep Dante up with his old design.
Depends- Did Capcom also ask them to defend that decision by saying how the Original Dante would be laughed out of the bar? Or that what was cool then isn't cool now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post

Haven't seen the walkthrough video, but did they keep the cigarette in the game?
No they removed it.

Smoking isn't cool kids
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 08:52   Link #1248
Celestia Ludenberg
Ultimate Gambler

I remember when they said this was going to be a prequel to Devil May Cry 3 for some reason. I wasn't really impressed with the way Dante looked and the way he smoked, but it kinda grew on me and I got over that he used to be that way, 'least we know he turns into a likable character...Actually it's really hard to believe he ever used to act like that.

Then a year later (or was it that same year?) they said it was going to be a reboot. The series had a lot of loose ends that needed to be tied or expanded on, they could've made a reboot that had you play as Sparda, meeting and fighting Mundus' Generals (Phantom & Griffin) or maybe as Nero, or maybe not, his story was pretty much over and finished and he looked like he was ready to settle down with kyrie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Depends- Did Capcom also ask them to defend that decision by saying how the Original Dante would be laughed out of the bar? Or that what was cool then isn't cool now?
I think that was Tameem who said Dante would be laughed out of a bar, new Dante probably wont even be allowed to enter a bar since he beats up helpless people who just do their jobs.

Since when would Dante go to a bar anyway? No one seems to mind him dressed up like he is when he goes out to eat Strawberry sundaes.
Celestia Ludenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 08:57   Link #1249
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
No they removed it.
Smoking isn't cool kids
A good thing I suppose. It only worsen him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionette Cherry View Post
they could've made a reboot that had you play as Sparda, meeting and fighting Mundus' Generals (Phantom & Griffin) or maybe as Nero, or maybe not, his story was pretty much over and finished and he looked like he was ready to settle down with kyrie.
I've ever thought about this too for DMC5's timeline. A DMC game with Sparda as main character would be nice, elaborating more on the background story. But then I think some people would complain with the lack of Dante

or just continue where DMC2 left off. I only played 3 and 4, but IIRC Dante's fate wasn't very clear in that game, right? I suppose Nero could slip in.
Old 2013-01-17, 09:06   Link #1250
demino_hellsin
That one guy

My friend played 2, he said it was terribly boring, uninteresting, uninspired and just lazily tossed together for the most part. Honestly I couldn't help but agree after watching soem gameplay vids. The concepts however were good. The biggest dissonance was you can't feel the same vibe from DMC1 and the gun spray was just too abusable. A sudden disconnect he said, and I agree that you just feel alienated in 2 for some reason. It was cool, but it lacked personality. I don't think it's a good place to start over from a bad drop of fanbase morale.
Old 2013-01-17, 09:07   Link #1251
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone

Quote:
The series had a lot of loose ends that needed to be tied or expanded on, they could've made a reboot that had you play as Sparda, meeting and fighting Mundus' Generals (Phantom & Griffin)
Not only that, could you imagine fighting ALL the previous bosses from the DMC series ?! Including Gilgamesh, Pandora and Lucifer ? Beowulf and Nevan clearly knew him, there's a good chance that Berial as well... Heck bonus points if he was just a pup 2000 years ago

EDIT: Almost forgot Alastor and Ifrit

Quote:
I think that was Tameem who said Dante would be laughed out of a bar, new Dante probably wont even be allowed to enter a bar since he beats up helpless people who just do their jobs.
Yup, it's him, and by association, Ninja Theory.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-01-17 at 09:20.
Old 2013-01-17, 09:11   Link #1252
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

I still think that Ninja theory's prototype design is way cooler than what we got right now even if it's realistic.

Fact.

Makes me think of why they didn't use that as an unlockable costume.
Old 2013-01-17, 09:25   Link #1253
Celestia Ludenberg
Ultimate Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
My friend played 2, he said it was terribly boring, uninteresting, uninspired and just lazily tossed together for the most part. Honestly I couldn't help but agree after watching soem gameplay vids. The concepts however were good. The biggest dissonance was you can't feel the same vibe from DMC1 and the gun spray was just too abusable. A sudden disconnect he said, and I agree that you just feel alienated in 2 for some reason. It was cool, but it lacked personality. I don't think it's a good place to start over from a bad drop of fanbase morale.
I didn't even know it was the worst in the series until DmC came along, the only thing that stood out to be me was Dante's personality, it took a 180, no explanation why he's like that? Haven't played that game in a while, maybe I should, 'cause why not?
Celestia Ludenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 10:50   Link #1254
Tong
Now, come at me

Send a message via MSN to Tong Send a message via Skype™ to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrave View Post
I still think that Ninja theory's prototype design is way cooler than what we got right now even if it's realistic.

Fact.

Makes me think of why they didn't use that as an unlockable costume.
He's still look liking a junkie.
Old 2013-01-17, 10:54   Link #1255
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Because that's western. If old dante was supposed to be anime and overall japan pop culture amalgamation hero then DmC was supposedly western hero, dark, edgy, sex, drugs, guns and an attitude.
Old 2013-01-17, 10:55   Link #1256
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
He's still look liking a junkie.
Did you pay attention to the trailer or just his hair and the omg smoking? He was tortured and brutally at the looks of it, to deal with the stress he went through he may have picked up smoking to relax, or keep him self from having those siezures he had during the combat. He could easly wash up and eat a good meal to get rid of the drug junky look but I think it added to the development factor a shit ton. Much more than the new one.

Later I will make a big post of how I would have done DmC.

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2013-01-17 at 12:04. Reason: Stupid phone cut off the rest of the post.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 11:50   Link #1257
demino_hellsin
That one guy

In fairness, the picture angle makes it look like he's mugging you with that huge ass sword.
Old 2013-01-17, 16:48   Link #1258
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Did you pay attention to the trailer or just his hair and the omg smoking? He was tortured and brutally at the looks of it, to deal with the stress he went through he may have picked up smoking to relax, or keep him self from having those siezures he had during the combat. He could easly wash up and eat a good meal to get rid of the drug junky look but I think it added to the development factor a shit ton. Much more than the new one.
It'll still be written by Ninja Theory, and we now know what amazing writers they really are.
Old 2013-01-17, 18:44   Link #1259
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
...My faith in capcom is less now. *facepalm*
After seeing the first design...
smoking, jawer, and that smug nose...
Nothing really changed since this face is still there, it's his DT form.

and capcom rejected this? they also should have rejected the one we see now in game as well.

Quote:
Didn't the original design have suspenders ?

And that Awaken Rebellion actually looks kinda cool...They didn't implement it into the game?
See the straps on him? That's your suspenders.
I give props to that Awaken Rebellion, but they made it to a generic blade because of the reboot story.

As for Dante smoking in the novel when he was still going by the alias Tony Redgrave, he disliked smoking, though he is a drinker, but never really gets drunk.

I personally like the first take on Vergil in the first novel as Gilver and Dante as Tony. Though this was rectoned because of the release of DMC3.
Young mercenaries, also in the novel is where you first see Vergil used a gun, after getting shot by his own gun he disliked using guns and stayed and training with Yamato

Spoiler for Gilver and Tony:
Old 2013-01-17, 19:46   Link #1260
kayos
RETIRED

Classic Dante Alt Costume.

kayos is offline   Reply With Quote