AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-20, 10:43   Link #981
Hooves
~In Wonderland~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Wait a minute, how did the topic turn into WH40K referencing?

Either way, it seems we have some fighting scenes coming up finally in the next episode.
__________________
MyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: Hooves
Signature from: Patchy
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 10:49   Link #982
kagato3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
I'm not saying they are ignoring it, but I do believe they are doing a really half-hearted attempt on trying to reveal how important the introduction of the potato is to the nation. It is no stretch of the imagination that Hero calls this crop a miracle food. Just look at the reactions between the manga and anime.


OK now I see where you are haveing your issues, as I was confused on how you kept saying they weren't convaying importence to what was going on when it was clear to me they were. Your issue is with the art style . From your statement you expect it to be more of a Shounen comedy design with over the top exagerated facial expressions which is what the Comp Ace Manga is and not the more realistic style that the LN artwork the the anime is based on. From the Voice Acting, Dialog and Expressions I feel they did express just how big a deal it is Knight is basicly looking shoocked throughout the whole talk.
Quote:
The rule prevents anyone from spoiling future material. Material that has already been covered by the anime is free game. As long as the poster doesn't let slip any details that might reveal future events in the story. Drawing comparisons between certain scenes that occurred in the manga and the anime is not forbidden by the mods, as long as it doesn't tread into spoiler territory.
Quote:
Big Sis Maid has only been shown to be "mopey" twice both times she has infact not been sad but getting pissed. The first is at the other students because of how stupid thier statements on starvation is the second time is when the other serfs start to demine themselves because they were born as serfs. This shows she has takeing Head Maid's philosophy to heart. I feel this is a very good addition but beyond that I can say no more are it treads on spoilers.
This is silly. I said that Yuusha never explicitly states that Spirits exists. In the anime he actually confirms that he talks with the Spirits. In the manga, all we ever really get is that he has a feeling that the Spirits do exist, which is my original point.
You do know there are 2 other manga adaptions and in both of them hero is seen praying to them?

Also from the LN
Quote:
Maou: “Well, normally that would be the case. But with what is normal for this world before the war that is not the case. Before the war -- this ‘before the war’ lasted for a few hundred years -- the main cause of death for humans were hunger and sickness.”

Hero: “Sickness and hunger are not something humans can control, you can say it is a test sent to humans by the Spirits. Don’t compare it to the invasion by demons!”

Maou: “Perhaps hunger and sickness cannot be prevented. But that does not mean that they cannot be conquered, nor does it mean that humans are forbidden from overcoming them?”

Hero: “That...”

Maou: “After the war started, deaths caused by these two factors decreased by 60%.”

Hero: “What is the reason? Why did it happen? Is it because the Spirits saw the threat of the demons to humanity and gave us their Blessing?”

Maou: “I have lived a for a long time, but I have yet to see a Spirit... the reason is clear. The greatest reason is the creation of the Middle Continent Crisis Council.”

Hero: “...?”
It's clearly shown that Hero Belives in Spirits. Also the anime never says he talks to them but that he feels it close to him when he fights and has her it's voice. As for it being a pushover its because that's where he gets all of his white magic powers
__________________
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.

kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 10:53   Link #983
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
It's not just art style, though. In the anime, she looks bored. At no point does she cross over to shocked or enthusiastic.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 10:56   Link #984
Hooves
~In Wonderland~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
^ ???

She did have a shocked expression when she heard it was "poisonous". As well as when she was eating the made potato dish. I've caught several reactions, or are we talking about the same character here?
__________________
MyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: Hooves
Signature from: Patchy
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 11:01   Link #985
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Ah, yes. She did react to the implication she personally had ingested poison.

And the voice acting did convey a handful of reactions, but her facial expression? She remained with half closed eyes.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 11:45   Link #986
Hooves
~In Wonderland~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
I
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Beg
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
To Differ
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
On half-closed eyes
__________________
MyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: Hooves
Signature from: Patchy
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 11:58   Link #987
garbage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
^ hmm I think it's just a case of you're mileage may vary, even in real life. different people expresses differently, more importantly different people interpret certain actions differently. many fights , misunderstandings (and wars?) do happen because of this. Personally I think Onna Kishi conveyed well enough the importance/impact of their conversation in that scene. Others obviously disagree, it's already a matter of opinion at that point.
__________________
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 12:13   Link #988
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
She still doesn't look very amazed. See, her eyes aren't fully open.

Quote:
Beg
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Better, but it arrives on the tail of her "I've been poisoned" reaction.

Quote:
To Differ
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
On half-closed eyes
That wasn't about potatoes, but about Crimson Scholar's motives.


So, yeah. She does react, but her reactions to the potatoes' implications for the Southern kingdoms' food supplies is underwhelming. The fact she's eating something delicious seems to matter more to her than the fact she's being handed something with thrice the yield of wheat.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 12:36   Link #989
MAX_COLA_POWER!
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
I'll give Fem. Knight some credit, she can be funny when she wants to^^. I laughed when she said, AFTER ALL THAT WORK I WENT THROUGH TO BECOME MORE GIRLY!, The first step is always acceptance, and I just imagined her being a sister. Kinda like this: Now, let us all pray, OR I'LL SLICE ALL OF YA NUTSACKS OFF!, ha>v<.
__________________
She's in your internets, watching you masterdebate.
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 12:54   Link #990
CJ_Walker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, California
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
She still doesn't look very amazed. See, her eyes aren't fully open.


Better, but it arrives on the tail of her "I've been poisoned" reaction.



That wasn't about potatoes, but about Crimson Scholar's motives.


So, yeah. She does react, but her reactions to the potatoes' implications for the Southern kingdoms' food supplies is underwhelming. The fact she's eating something delicious seems to matter more to her than the fact she's being handed something with thrice the yield of wheat.
...

dude, yeah I know there are some pacing issues (they are moving a bit fast) but your argument is REALLY nitpicky

Last edited by CJ_Walker; 2013-01-20 at 13:20.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 13:22   Link #991
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
I'm trying to understand the 3 merchants' reaction over Maou's compass. It seems they already know what a compass is for, so why are they so keen to monopolize her device? Is the ability of the compass to stay level such a huge deal that one of the merchants remarked, "This will change the world"?
This was kinda hand-wave it in the anime, but this is stuff she learned and invented in the Demon World. The Human World is pretty far behind in terms of cultivation and education, so humans need the continuing war more than demons do, which is partially why this experiment is being done over there. Demons need the war too, but it’s more that they have bothersome leaders that love to fight and cause trouble.


As for the topic of Hero and what he bring to the story...

Hero is also just a different sort of smart. He’s the military tactics and action side of the pair. You’ll see later that he’s rather good at working a military situation to his advantage, as well as playing both sides to do just what his side needs. He’s also charismatic and knows how to talk to stubborn general-types when they shouldn’t be bothering Maou. When fights start up, Maou switches roles to support, but things are peaceful right now so she’s center-stage and unintentionally making Hero seem blander than he is.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 13:28   Link #992
Hooves
~In Wonderland~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
From my perspective. These are the era settings I'm getting from the respective parties.

Human World - Dark Ages
Demon World - Renaissance
__________________
MyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: Hooves
Signature from: Patchy
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 16:21   Link #993
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
From my perspective. These are the era settings I'm getting from the respective parties.

Human World - Dark Ages
Demon World - Renaissance
Yea that pretty much sums it up. Oh and one more thing the smoke left out was that in this universe the potato is actually native to the demon world. Which I found kind of funny because when the potato was first discovered way back in the dark ages it was called the devils root.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 17:47   Link #994
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
on another note, its too bad that the creators are pandering again - the whole part about the fact that the girl has to be aggressive to a VIRGIN.
I have no prior knowledge of the plot, but maybe the author is using the monster girl trope, Maou is a demon so she is expected to ravage (human) males (virgin or otherwise), that is the reason the head maid chastises poor Maou *insert juggle scene* for having zero advancement after so many months (there are limits to patience).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 19:37   Link #995
kagato3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
!! you're bringing Asimov into this?!!

. . .this thread just got SERIOUS!

on another note, its too bad that the creators are pandering again - the whole part about the fact that the girl has to be aggressive to a VIRGIN.

Totally reeks of Otaku wish fulfillment. as 1) no MAN with a working unit would EVER act like he's acting (unless he likes men)

and 2) no woman would constantly pursue a man that unless: she was like 14, in high school, and never had a man before (she's not 14 and not in highschool)

I can totally see how people can, are, and will get frustrated with the hero dude. . .especially after this episode. I really wish this troupe would disappear in anime. . .but normal people arent the targeted demographic, so we just gotta deal with it lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
I have no prior knowledge of the plot, but maybe the author is using the monster girl trope, Maou is a demon so she is expected to ravage (human) males (virgin or otherwise), that is the reason the head maid chastises poor Maou *insert juggle scene* for having zero advancement after so many months (there are limits to patience).
I think it has more to do with the fact he's spent 6 months durring winter with herand they haven't gone past hand holding one of the 2 needs to pick up thier game and in trems of love i think lead is less dense then hero. Her waiting for him to ask isn't helping. Remember Maou is just as much of a virgin.
__________________
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.


Last edited by kagato3; 2013-01-20 at 19:48.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 20:49   Link #996
Lukeman1884
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I dunno, for some reason, I still don't really buy Maou's "shy, innocent virgin" thing. It's just too over the top to feel genuine, and at this stage, I wouldn't actually be surprised if she revealed that it was all an act to get the hero to do what she wanted. Anyone else feeling this?
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 20:55   Link #997
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Under the piercing blue sky
"Crimson Scholar" and "White Swordsman"

Female Knight and Young Merchant make their appearances. The humble potato is revealed as Crimson Scholar's secret agricultural weapon. Demon Queen appearing to be jealous of what she perceives as Hero's past affairs was... cute? "Old Flame" #1 and #2, huh. And off goes Hero to the Demon World with some newly acquired bad ass armor. Good that he's found something to do with his skills in the meantime.

"Useless Meat" receives some screen time again. Thankfully, that part didn't go on for much longer. There's not enough time in 12 episodes to fit much fanservice. Better spent on world building, character development and plot advancement.

Even though I am also a reader of the Kotowaru! manga version, I am not really concerned with comparisons as I am also aware that the anime is not an adaptation of the manga, but the novels - and those I haven't read. So I just enjoy both for what they are.
__________________
Coldlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 22:17   Link #998
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeman1884 View Post
I dunno, for some reason, I still don't really buy Maou's "shy, innocent virgin" thing. It's just too over the top to feel genuine, and at this stage, I wouldn't actually be surprised if she revealed that it was all an act to get the hero to do what she wanted. Anyone else feeling this?
No. That would cause an otaku backlash similar to what was seen with Kannagi. (We all should remember the "second hand Nagi" uproar.) I doubt anyone would want to go there again.

Second hand Nagi uproar was in 11/2008.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopi...es-otaku-storm
__________________

Last edited by orion; 2013-01-20 at 22:46.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 22:20   Link #999
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
I think it has more to do with the fact he's spent 6 months durring winter with herand they haven't gone past hand holding one of the 2 needs to pick up thier game and in trems of love i think lead is less dense then hero. Her waiting for him to ask isn't helping. Remember Maou is just as much of a virgin.
I agree that in real life hero would have to be 100% gay at this point, but my post is about CJ_Walker thinking the only reason Maou would aggressively want to have intercourse with a virgin (Hero) is because they are catering to otaku tastes (my response was in the sense of "demon girls have a different set of values (as seen in most hentai anime)").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeman1884 View Post
I dunno, for some reason, I still don't really buy Maou's "shy, innocent virgin" thing. It's just too over the top to feel genuine, and at this stage, I wouldn't actually be surprised if she revealed that it was all an act to get the hero to do what she wanted. Anyone else feeling this?
If this was written by Gen Urobuchi I could smell the troll already, but having Maou betray hero would be akin to Bilbo Baggins betraying Gandalf, it simply is not that kind of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
No. That would cause an otaku backlash similar to what was seen with Kannagi. (We all should remember the "second hand Nagi" uproar.) I doubt anyone would want to go there again.
That is another can of worms, if Maou did betrayed Hero it might not affect DVD/BD sales. If Maou at some point says she is not a virgin (which is utterly irrelevant to the story and to be expected from a demon girl) the disc sales would be cut in half (at least).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 22:21   Link #1000
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Just got around to watching this. Wasn't expecting much but it turns out to be not bad. However, i am not sure what maou and yuusha objective is here. Maou wants to make the humans stronger so they wouldn't fight and thus achieving peace? Wouldn't it just make them stronger so they can war better and kill more of her own people?

Anyway, do the characters actually get to have names?
FateAnomaly is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.