AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-21, 20:34   Link #3261
AKAAkira
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
To everyone here who had a part in posting summaries and spoilers - especially Flere821 - thank you for your contributions. SAO is one of the more interesting stories I had the pleasure of reading. I'm glad that there were dedicated fans who had taken the time to kindly post information here. If you don't mind one more selfish request - please, keep it up.

Though I feel strangely obligated to give grief over the fact that when I started devouring the spoilers from page ~130, I did so in the belief I'd finally sate my desire to know the Alicization plot in its entirety. Needless to say, that belief persisted only until it ran headlong into this page.
AKAAkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 03:15   Link #3262
Flere821
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAAkira View Post
To everyone here who had a part in posting summaries and spoilers - especially Flere821 - thank you for your contributions. SAO is one of the more interesting stories I had the pleasure of reading. I'm glad that there were dedicated fans who had taken the time to kindly post information here. If you don't mind one more selfish request - please, keep it up.
You're welcome
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAAkira View Post
Though I feel strangely obligated to give grief over the fact that when I started devouring the spoilers from page ~130, I did so in the belief I'd finally sate my desire to know the Alicization plot in its entirety. Needless to say, that belief persisted only until it ran headlong into this page.
Some people have access to the full Japanese raws. I haven't gotten around to get a copy of that (not that I can read those), mainly living off Chinese translations that I can read. And the Chinese translations haven't finished yet, unfortunately
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 03:34   Link #3263
mucen
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
I may have missed it, but what is the significance of Alice in the underworld (Project Alicization) that Gabriel's searching for her?
mucen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 04:01   Link #3264
Flere821
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucen View Post
I may have missed it, but what is the significance of Alice in the underworld (Project Alicization) that Gabriel's searching for her?
Alice being the first Fluctlight to successfully and deliberately disregard the laws of UW, despite how it seems to be intrinsically impossible for them to be able to do so. America wants to shut down Project Alicization to prevent Japan having a way to threaten their military monopoly, and so they want to make sure Alice cannot be recovered by Japan's researchers. Them being able to steal Alice away would be a bonus, using her to develop military AIs for themselves.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 06:28   Link #3265
Javiersansano
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chile
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucen View Post
I may have missed it, but what is the significance of Alice in the underworld (Project Alicization) that Gabriel's searching for her?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Alice being the first Fluctlight to successfully and deliberately disregard the laws of UW, despite how it seems to be intrinsically impossible for them to be able to do so. America wants to shut down Project Alicization to prevent Japan having a way to threaten their military monopoly, and so they want to make sure Alice cannot be recovered by Japan's researchers. Them being able to steal Alice away would be a bonus, using her to develop military AIs for themselves.
Then, we can't forget Gabriel's agenda, in which he wants to kill Alice because of the same reasons she is high regarded by the project staff and the US army.

Spoiler for reason:
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 13:17   Link #3266
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post
Then, we can't forget Gabriel's agenda, in which he wants to kill Alice because of the same reasons she is high regarded by the project staff and the US army.

Spoiler for reason:
Spoiler for reply:
__________________
Awrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 16:47   Link #3267
Flere821
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post
Then, we can't forget Gabriel's agenda, in which he wants to kill Alice because of the same reasons she is high regarded by the project staff and the US army.

Spoiler for reason:
That too. WEB 6 (and my WEB 8 summaries) detailed Gabriel's personal motives, my post above only outlined US's motive.
Spoiler for Gabriel:
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 05:40   Link #3268
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
...
Spoiler for Whiskey Tango Foxtrot:
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 16:47   Link #3269
Flere821
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
...
Spoiler for Whiskey Tango Foxtrot:
Spoiler for *shrug* - Mahouka & Hidan no Aria series spoilers:
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 22:33   Link #3270
waffler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
how does alice fall in love with kirito?
waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 22:38   Link #3271
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffler View Post
how does alice fall in love with kirito?
Because he's Kirito. She doesn't need a reason.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 22:45   Link #3272
waffler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
lol so alice tried to molest kirito? o.o
waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 22:49   Link #3273
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Age: 19
Quote:
Because he's Kirito. She doesn't need a reason.
Aw come on. There's always some reason why the girls fall for him. Even if it's silly. Even if it's logic-bending. Even if it's absurd. Even if...there's no reason.

Hmm.
__________________
All possibilities till now are just on the other side of the Light, only Fluctuating slightly. Only Fluctuating slightly...
Tusjecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 23:07   Link #3274
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusjecht View Post
Aw come on. There's always some reason why the girls fall for him. Even if it's silly. Even if it's logic-bending. Even if it's absurd. Even if...there's no reason.
Well, she said that she began to feel... whatever she's feeling (probably lust ) when she saw Kirito using his black swordsman character IIRC. So you could say she "felt in love" due to his cool factor.

But really, the reason is so shallow that you may as well say she likes him just because he's the protagonist, which is the real reason in the end.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2013-01-26 at 00:01.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 23:15   Link #3275
waffler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
sorry im not really familiar but whats iirc?
waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 23:38   Link #3276
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Well, she said that she began to feel... whatever she's feeling (probably lust ) when she saw Kirito using his black swordsman character IIRC. So you could say she "felt in love" due to his cool factor.

But really, the reason is so shallow that you may as well say she likes him because he's the protagonist, which is the real reason in the end.
That's from the web novel, right?

Even so, I'm amazed and somewhat letdown by it: author can design dozens of girls to fall for Kirito, but the romance in Accel World is so one-sided it's come to a standstill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffler View Post
sorry im not really familiar but whats iirc?
If I Recall Correctly.
__________________
All possibilities till now are just on the other side of the Light, only Fluctuating slightly. Only Fluctuating slightly...
Tusjecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 23:49   Link #3277
waffler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
o thanks i thought it was some kinda sao term xD
waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 07:36   Link #3278
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Somewhere close to Valhalla
Age: 24
I find it hard to agree with Kirito's opinion about flunctlight is equal to human. It's just an advanced AI and it's kind of his own damn fault for releasing SEED platform in the first place. I'll never accept AI to be the same as us, after all, we can just copy and paste, making how many backup of AIs as we want.

Seriously, I found most of all this to be bullshit. Japan can't have their own army and has to rely on the USA, but it's their goddamn own fault they went wild in WWII and lost to the USA. They should thank the USA for occupying their land before the Red Army and Chinese came to take revenge on them like how Germany got. At least they got it easy compared to Germany.

Japan killed at least 16M Chinese civilians but no one cared to point that out, the USA dropped A-bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki (these two harbor cities where manufactured of ships and weapons located at btw) killing 100 thousands and more with direct blast and radioavtivity (back then the USA didn't know much about radioactivity and almost sent soldiers to the wasteland directly too) and it's so horrible.

And after half a century, what we got here? the USA is evil and unreliable partner, Chinese is the villain and invader.

And in Mahouka, the Yotsuba's general idealism is "the strong devour the weak" with Chinese as the evil invader and American as traitorous ally, the Yotsuba also doesn't allow anyone to mess with them despite the fact that they did the same horrible things to others.

^^ To hell with that!

Although I'd have to say that the villains in SAO is outright evil, unlike the Chinese from Mahouka when they were just doing their duty.
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 07:56   Link #3279
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
I find it hard to agree with Kirito's opinion about flunctlight is equal to human. It's just an advanced AI and it's kind of his own damn fault for releasing SEED platform in the first place. I'll never accept AI to be the same as us, after all, we can just copy and paste, making how many backup of AIs as we want.

Seriously, I found most of all this to be bullshit. Japan can't have their own army and has to rely on the USA, but it's their goddamn own fault they went wild in WWII and lost to the USA. They should thank the USA for occupying their land before the Red Army and Chinese came to take revenge on them like how Germany got. At least they got it easy compared to Germany.

Japan killed at least 16M Chinese civilians but no one cared to point that out, the USA dropped A-bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki (these two harbor cities where manufactured of ships and weapons located at btw) killing 100 thousands and more with direct blast and radioavtivity (back then the USA didn't know much about radioactivity and almost sent soldiers to the wasteland directly too) and it's so horrible.

And after half a century, what we got here? the USA is evil and unreliable partner, Chinese is the villain and invader.

And in Mahouka, the Yotsuba's general idealism is "the strong devour the weak" with Chinese as the evil invader and American as traitorous ally, the Yotsuba also doesn't allow anyone to mess with them despite the fact that they did the same horrible things to others.

^^ To hell with that!

Although I'd have to say that the villains in SAO is outright evil, unlike the Chinese from Mahouka when they were just doing their duty.
...I believe we're discussing Sword Art Online, not Sword Art Offline.

But to rebut the first two points:

-AIs will never be truly human? That's only because our technological capacity is limited and we're not making much progress on the neural mapping part, IIRC. Give it a few years, we will probably have the foundations for a dumb AI. I say a dumb AI, because humans will still be involved in teaching it, but once a dumb AI has been made the next step, a sentient 'smart' AI is not very far away. And who said they will identify themselves as human? With a bottom-up approach, to create an intelligence capable of synthesising its own information and acting by itself, the answer we'll get can't be predicted.

-Japan can't have their own army, relies on US, it's their retribution for going wild in WWII. I don't even...

The clause about 'no army of our own' was offered by the Japanese themselves. They handicapped themselves. That says something about their humility.

-They should thank the US.

Oh, and the US is all-powerful, ne'er-do-wrong, strongest of 'em all, model for everyone, right? They have a lot of regrets about the Middle East, let me kindly inform you. Or the Vietnam War, which terrorized their own soldiers. And I won't even touch their current state of affairs regarding domestic politics.

-Germany had it harder, therefore they should be happy.

...seriously? Everyone suffers in war because people die. And then there's the lost pride, men sacrificed, money wasted on war and its tools, the list goes on...

You have a pretty warped idea of history, I'll give you that. And, let's keep it off this thread. Feel free to PM me.
__________________
All possibilities till now are just on the other side of the Light, only Fluctuating slightly. Only Fluctuating slightly...
Tusjecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 11:38   Link #3280
blackwhite67
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Hey. Hey. First of all, I object to calling the Fluctlights mere artificial intelligence. They are basically human souls that have been copied and cultivated through technology, allowing them to develop their own distinct personalities. Going by the technical explanations, I believe the barriers between machines and humans have been essentially broken.

Second, it can't be helped that the U.S. and China are enemies in the works you referenced. I mean, someones got to be the enemy and this book attempts to mimic the real world so making up some fictional country is not an option for the authors.

Last edited by blackwhite67; 2013-01-26 at 13:04.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, gaming, harem, kirito, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.