AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-07, 07:21   Link #5601
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I believe the Librarian was introduced in VS Astray.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 07:57   Link #5602
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
Also, I found this Geocities article. Any idea what does it say? Seems like there are comments about the staff from the two TV series.

http://www.geocities.jp/seeddictionary/ka.html
If you want Japanese-literate members to translate it, you can post it in the translation thread. IIRC the thread title is "Can Anybody Please Translate This?".
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 13:05   Link #5603
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Well I'm now up to episode 9 of Seed Destiny, and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised.

I stalled the second series after two episodes way back because I couldn't get into it but it seems that after the "stolen Gundam attack" thing ended after episode 3, the story went into a totally different direction than the one I thought it would. The Co-ordinator terrorists then came into the picture and the result was five to six episodes of carefully planned break down of relations between two sides and the build up to a new war. This is great because probably my biggest gripe with all the previous Gundam instalments is that they would always throw you straight into the conflict and you don't truly understand why the war even started in the first place, but this time they actually showed it all in a clear unambiguous fashion. It wasn't perfect by any means but I did think it was quite well done.

The characters are also better than i thought. As expected, Athrun makes a a great protagonist (I've already said my thoughts on this before) but I also like the addition of Shin. Unlike many previous Gundam-piloting protagonists, this one isn't a total neutral caught in the conflict. He's very much opinionated and has his own biases, which makes him pretty down to earth. Can be a bit of an arsehole at times but he's still sympathetic.

Hope it continues to be this good.

[EDIT]

Episode 10

Well that was another good episode except for the whole Lacus Clyne public debacle. The fake reveal and her talk with Athrun at the end was nice but I just hope the real one continues to stay as far away from this story as possible...
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2013-01-22 at 15:24.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 15:40   Link #5604
leolim
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Tch, those pictures make it seem like they really wanted to ship Kira x Athrun so bad. Disregard women, secure lasting bromance.

You mean how they decided to later make Kira have Newtype powers as well? Poor Mu and Rau, you didn't even get to be the special snowflakes in the end.
And this is why I prefer UC Cuz UC Gundam pilot always know how to get the girl(literally) unlike the boy love crap in wing seed and 00.
leolim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 16:03   Link #5605
Kirayuki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well I'm now up to episode 9 of Seed Destiny, and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised.

I stalled the second series after two episodes way back because I couldn't get into it but it seems that after the "stolen Gundam attack" thing ended after episode 3, the story went into a totally different direction than the one I thought it would. The Co-ordinator terrorists then came into the picture and the result was five to six episodes of carefully planned break down of relations between two sides and the build up to a new war. This is great because probably my biggest gripe with all the previous Gundam instalments is that they would always throw you straight into the conflict and you don't truly understand why the war even started in the first place, but this time they actually showed it all in a clear unambiguous fashion. It wasn't perfect by any means but I did think it was quite well done.

The characters are also better than i thought. As expected, Athrun makes a a great protagonist (I've already said my thoughts on this before) but I also like the addition of Shin. Unlike many previous Gundam-piloting protagonists, this one isn't a total neutral caught in the conflict. He's very much opinionated and has his own biases, which makes him pretty down to earth. Can be a bit of an arsehole at times but he's still sympathetic.

Hope it continues to be this good.

[EDIT]

Episode 10

Well that was another good episode except for the whole Lacus Clyne public debacle. The fake reveal and her talk with Athrun at the end was nice but I just hope the real one continues to stay as far away from this story as possible...
I feel like I go back to the past where everyone still saying good things about Destiny when it had just started airing. *put on nostalgia glasses*
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 16:15   Link #5606
amaterasu4
CAUSE I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Shame Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by leolim View Post
And this is why I prefer UC Cuz UC Gundam pilot always know how to get the girl(literally) unlike the boy love crap in wing seed and 00.
Too bad they are always killed. All first loved are doomed to this. Zeta's Emma stood out as one of the few strong women in UC... and she died. Tomino kind of hates women. I mean, V Gundam's women die all the time.

Quote:
The characters are also better than i thought. As expected, Athrun makes a a great protagonist (I've already said my thoughts on this before) but I also like the addition of Shin.
No wonder The Edge and Special Edition picked Athrun as the main protagonist. The real Lacus doesn't appear much until the last ten as far as I remember.
amaterasu4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 06:44   Link #5607
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Episode 11

To be honest, I'm not really all that pleased with this direction since the whole logic behind Orb forming an alliance with the Earth Feds is just too nonsensical. They don't want a repeat of Earth Feds trying to invade them because they didn't pick their side, so now they will? And to a side that didn't hesitate to launch a huge nuclear strike that could've wiped out billions? They did make a point that it's about Realpolitik and not ideals but this is waaaay beyond lacking in ideals. It's lacking in basic moral decency. And what about the public opinion factor? That was a clear factor when it came to perception about Co-ordinators, so why wasn't there any factor of the Orb people not wanting to side with people that tried to invade them and was killing them just two years ago? It's amazing in itself that the politicians of Orb are that corrupt but somehow Cagalli was convinced by this BS?

I'm also kinda hoping the Chairman of PLANT isn't as freaking perfect as he seems to be because it's starting to look like the evil is heavily skewed to one side.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 07:23   Link #5608
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Hope it continues to be this good.
Just want to warn you: your hope will be shattered into tiny little pieces, my dear friend .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Episode 11

To be honest, I'm not really all that pleased with this direction since the whole logic behind Orb forming an alliance with the Earth Feds is just too nonsensical. They don't want a repeat of Earth Feds trying to invade them because they didn't pick their side, so now they will? And to a side that didn't hesitate to launch a huge nuclear strike that could've wiped out billions? They did make a point that it's about Realpolitik and not ideals but this is waaaay beyond lacking in ideals. It's lacking in basic moral decency. And what about the public opinion factor? That was a clear factor when it came to perception about Co-ordinators, so why wasn't there any factor of the Orb people not wanting to side with people that tried to invade them and was killing them just two years ago? It's amazing in itself that the politicians of Orb are that corrupt but somehow Cagalli was convinced by this BS?

I'm also kinda hoping the Chairman of PLANT isn't as freaking perfect as he seems to be because it's starting to look like the evil is heavily skewed to one side.
And it’s starting to show some little cracks before the whole dam is about to break...
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 08:39   Link #5609
Destined_Fate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Sacrifice one to appease the few."
ORB allying is not only to prevent another Invasion but because the party Yuna is a part of is making backdoor deals with the Feds to benefit greatly from it. Cagalli is forced to agree as she's powerless to stop her entire cabinet desiring to join with the Feds(that and public outcry is against ZAFT at this point due to the colony drop attempt) even if all their reasons aren't the same. Had Kira or Athrun been there to support her during this she may have had the strength to deny them and argue against it but they weren't. Instead Cagalli was alone and is too prideful to go to at least Kira for comfort and support to build up her confidence.

Quite frankly she just isn't ready to rule yet. Her youth, nativity of the world of Politics, and inexperience is too easily exploitable which the more experienced ORB politicians have no trouble doing. That and she's wrestling with the fact that she loves Athrun but must eventually marry Yuna for the good of ORB.

Another thing to consider is that Cagalli rebelled against that life in SEED and has little to no Political training as she was more of an Action Girl. Yuna on the other hand was bred for the Political sphere and manipulating others to get what he wants.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 08:44   Link #5610
Znozzy
Praise the sun!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sweden
Age: 25
Doesn't matter, ORB isnt run by a dictatorship. Even if she spoke against it the treaty would've happened either way.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 09:03   Link #5611
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
And it’s starting to show some little cracks before the whole dam is about to break...
Well I didn't think the first season was amazing either and knew it had it's flaws so I'm willing to overlook a few flaws this time too. I'm not really expecting the most amazing storyline so I don't think the dam will breaking any time soon. That said...

Episode 13 & 14

Kira has once again returned to the storyline but I'ma little mixed on that. My opinion is still the same as previously. Athrun makes a much better protagonist and it's hard to see what role Kira could play that Athrun can't but this is just guess work. Kira could very well be given a unique role and that would make three unique protagonists so the potential is great.

The wedding, however, I just think is a needless and forced on drama. There's more than enough potential in her political conflicts and no need to regress her character this way in order to develop her again. And we already know the other Orb politicians are jackasses. We don't need to be shown that they misogynist jackasses too. Plus the whole drama feels contrite in itself. How is the wedding actually good for their country anyway? Is it really that kind of country that cares about shit like that? I mean, I do know what it's like to live in a country where royal weddings happen, but in my experience the cultural unity that forms isn't all that significant enough for Cagalli to make that kind of sacrifice. Maybe Orb works differently but I have no idea how Orb works differently and that's kinda frustrating. If you can't understand the context of situation, then how can you understand the drama that's caused by it? Gundams are in the business of beating enemies and saving lives, not crashing in on melodramatic weddings. Well hopefully that whole thing is over and done with and Cagalli can start moving forward again.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 09:19   Link #5612
Znozzy
Praise the sun!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sweden
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Gundams are in the business of beating enemies and saving lives, not crashing in on melodramatic weddings. Well hopefully that whole thing is over and done with and Cagalli can start moving forward again.
" So it begins "
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 09:20   Link #5613
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well I didn't think the first season was amazing either and knew it had it's flaws so I'm willing to overlook a few flaws this time too.
Well, many consider SEED as masterpiece when compared to Destiny. Yes, Destiny is that bad. Also, unlike 00, SEED doesn't follow the "season" format. Storywise, Destiny is a "poorly planned sequel" which thrives only on popularity of the first series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'm not really expecting the most amazing storyline so I don't think the dam will breaking any time soon.
Oh, I didn't say that the dam's gonna break anytime soon. I'm afraid it's gonna happen slowly and painfully . Hope you prepared for it. That said, have a nice trip.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 10:12   Link #5614
Destined_Fate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Sacrifice one to appease the few."
The wedding would have made more sense if Yuna was even shown to exist in SEED and it was at least hinted at than. It really is forced since Yuna, despite being a veteran politician whose somewhat older than Cagalli, never appeared in SEED. Not even in the HD Remaster that showcased Shinn, Lunamaria, and Rey. They even hinted at Lunamaria being attracted to Shinn in HD Remaster SEED with the far off and confused look they gave her as she looks at Shinn while they await the ride to take them to their training.

It's because Yuna is a stellar Politician and is from a very well off family. The Citizens of ORB only see a handsome man that seems to want to do what's best for ORB. They also don't know that Cagalli doesn't want to marry Yuna and is being forced into it as it was arranged in her youth by her Father. Most likely to placate that party at the time and strengthen ties for ORB at the top.

The Wedding also helps distract the People from the horrible tragedies that are happening recently. Thus the wedding being bumped up in due date is due to Political reasons which Cagalli lacked the ability to refute due to her inexperience and feeling alone. Besides, Cagalli is willing to sacrifice everything, even her own happiness, if it's for the best of ORB. At least that way she can, in a way, honor her late Father who died for ORB and its core ideals.

FYI - Cagalli doesn't get better for a long while. Expect a lot of crying from here on out and Kira spouting hypocrisy which Athrun does refute quite a few times in the series.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 12:10   Link #5615
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
It's because Yuna is a stellar Politician and is from a very well off family. The Citizens of ORB only see a handsome man that seems to want to do what's best for ORB. They also don't know that Cagalli doesn't want to marry Yuna and is being forced into it as it was arranged in her youth by her Father. Most likely to placate that party at the time and strengthen ties for ORB at the top.
All of this is obvious except for the last sentence. I still don't see how it benefits either party, politically, unless there's some weird tribal structure going on in this political system.

Quote:
The Wedding also helps distract the People from the horrible tragedies that are happening recently. Thus the wedding being bumped up in due date is due to Political reasons which Cagalli lacked the ability to refute due to her inexperience and feeling alone. Besides, Cagalli is willing to sacrifice everything, even her own happiness, if it's for the best of ORB. At least that way she can, in a way, honour her late Father who died for ORB and its core ideals.
Cagalli is willing to permanently sacrifice her own happiness and supposedly empower the very hawkish people she needs to stand up against for what is essentially a temporary distraction for the people? That honestly just seems way beyond idiotic to me. This is apparently a decision she's agonised over. If that's what she's become then this story has well and truly screwed her over big time.

Anyway I'm now 16 episodes in and I'm still overall enjoying it. The most recent interesting scene is Shinn acting against orders to attack a base and save oppressed people, and Athrun reprimanding him for it. It's easy to see both sides' perspective here. Shinn had just seen the destruction of allies and saw what was an easy target for a tit for tat response: not only would he be destroying the enemy responsible but also save oppressed civilians. But ZAFT only have orders aggressive self defence so going as far as to kill soldiers who can't fight back and destroy a base is easily the kind of renegade action that can escalate conflicts beyond hope, regardless of how right it seemed at the time. I'm liking the way Athrun and Shinn's characters play off each other. There's still a lot more potential between the two. (EDIT: And Episode 17 proved very fruitful)

The pacing is still as annoying as ever though. Overuse of flashbacks and stock scenes like transformations and launching can really kill my engagement, just like it did last season. Though I'm not yet at the point where every battle scene starts to look the same.
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2013-01-23 at 12:45.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 12:16   Link #5616
Kirayuki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Though I'm not yet at the point where every battle scene starts to look the same.
Yeah, the early part of Destiny doesn't suffer much from this yet because there are things off-battle that keep your interest.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 14:34   Link #5617
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
To be honest, I'm not really all that pleased with this direction since the whole logic behind Orb forming an alliance with the Earth Feds is just too nonsensical. They don't want a repeat of Earth Feds trying to invade them because they didn't pick their side, so now they will?
So what is not making sense? When you can't beat them, join them. That makes sense to me.
Quote:
And to a side that didn't hesitate to launch a huge nuclear strike that could've wiped out billions?
That's another incentive to form an alliance with them rather than fight against them.
Quote:
They did make a point that it's about Realpolitik and not ideals but this is waaaay beyond lacking in ideals. It's lacking in basic moral decency.
Some would say the Orb government had the moral obligation to protect its nation. Joining the Alliance is just one way they chose to do that.
Quote:
And what about the public opinion factor? That was a clear factor when it came to perception about Co-ordinators, so why wasn't there any factor of the Orb people not wanting to side with people that tried to invade them and was killing them just two years ago? It's amazing in itself that the politicians of Orb are that corrupt but somehow Cagalli was convinced by this BS?
The government would just say the decision is made to join since Orb cannot fight and win against the Alliance, as was proven 2 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Just want to warn you: your hope will be shattered into tiny little pieces, my dear friend
Would it harm you in any way to let someone form their own opinion?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 15:43   Link #5618
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
So what is not making sense? When you can't beat them, join them. That makes sense to me. That's another incentive to form an alliance with them rather than fight against them. Some would say the Orb government had the moral obligation to protect its nation. Joining the Alliance is just one way they chose to do that. The government would just say the decision is made to join since Orb cannot fight and win against the Alliance, as was proven 2 years ago.
It's a mockery to everything they've sacrificed in order to uphold their ideals. The country fought and bled for those ideals and now it's just going to roll over so quickly? It completely ignores the type of resentment that can form to another side that's tried to invade you in the past. You'd think there'd be some strong dissent to this. Something that would make it more of a challenge. It's highly unlikely that a position that was apparently so integral to Orb could be reversed so quickly and so easily. The only way I could see this happening is if Shinn's beliefs really are the mainstream in Orb now and that there really was a lot of backlash against that ideal. But if that's the case then why was this such a surprise to Cagalli?
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 16:11   Link #5619
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
The country fought and bled for those ideals and now it's just going to roll over so quickly?
The country fought, bled, then surrendered when the people in charge committed group suicide.

By joining the Alliance, the result was similar except without the fighting, bleeding, destruction of property, and suicide.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 16:50   Link #5620
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
But ultimately Orb got it's way in the end, and that kind of result only empowers a nation, not make it think it's ideals need to be reversed.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mecha, seed it and weep

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.