AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-23, 04:35   Link #101
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Whoa, hold on a sec, that's you not me!

Although I do think they need to eat more meat and grow some spine.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 04:53   Link #102
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
What? You are into traps?

I wouldn't discount that "eat more meat" part, but somehow "grow more spine" can be quite difficult to achieve in traditional Asian societies where the younger generation, no matter how much ideas they have, are not allowed to suggest or supersede their elders with the disincentive of getting fired or having their corporate ladder undone.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 22:21   Link #103
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
So is this topic about these........... kind of fans?

__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 22:50   Link #104
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
So is this topic about these........... kind of fans?

Pretty much, yes. Unfortunately, that is the perception the vast horde of Muggles have of anime fans in general -- worse than nerds.

As cringe worthy as Big Bang Theory can be at times, it has actually done a lot to humanize the various geek subcultures.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 23:13   Link #105
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
As a Japanese, it's INCREDIBLY ANNOYING to have someone walk up to me and throw random terribily placed, otaku-flavored Japanese words, in absolute terrible pronunciation, and completely out of place in context.
Lol, yes, whether you are Japanese or seriously studying the Japanese language, mispronunciation can drive you insane.....to the point of wanting to spit back in rage...
"THAT'S NOT HOW YOU SAY IT, YOU F*CKING IDIOT!!"

......and I still make mistakes in front of Japanese people and embarrass myself. >_> But they are normally minor grammatical errors. Or sometimes I'll just get nervous and tongue-tied. My accent though, is pretty damn good if I do say so myself. XD (I hope so, after studying for over a decade. o_o)

Quote:
As cringe worthy as Big Bang Theory can be at times
Whaaaaat I love that show! D:
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 00:00   Link #106
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Whaaaaat I love that show! D:
Oh, I love it, too. They do a fair job of humanizing geeks without taking too many cheap shots. Initially, I was quite skeptical, good lord, the characters are archetypes for too many people I know.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 06:50   Link #107
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 25
Hmm, after learning about modern anime about 9 years ago, I started picking up a few things about Japan; anime (obviously), music (very limited) and language (extremely limited). I can't consider myself to be weeaboo or otaku or whatever, simply because I don't mention anything unless the company I am with wants to talk about it.

After a while, on a totally different note, I immersed myself in the world of MMOs, only to see people spamming
Quote:
random terribily placed, otaku-flavored Japanese words, in absolute terrible pronunciation, and completely out of place in context.
this, minus the pronunciation :P A few weeks ago, a certain someone did a review on Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine...and there was a large number of posts whining because he pronounced tensei as "/ten~sai/", as trivial as that can be. Now THAT was...terrible, to say the least.

As for the rest of the world, more and more teens watch anime and the malls are stocking up on anime posters, figurines and accessories (headbands, wristbands, fake throwing stars, death note diaries, etc.) so I suppose things are calm here, when it comes to discrimination against that kind.
__________________
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 07:28   Link #108
Pink Cow
This is my title.
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philippines
Another funny thing about them (but they can get annoying after a while) is when they pretend to be Japanese and claim to be fluent or know the language since they are native. They would "prove" this by adding Japanese in their conversations after copy pasting from google translate. It's funny at first because their Japanese is ridiculous. Lol. They get annoying when someone points out the mistakes in their Japanese and how unnatural it seems. Then they go apeshit and say that they are REALLY Japanese and that they know what they're saying because it's their language...
__________________

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 14:48   Link #109
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
As a Japanese, it's INCREDIBLY ANNOYING to have someone walk up to me and throw random terribily placed, otaku-flavored Japanese words, in absolute terrible pronunciation, and completely out of place in context.
In those times, words like 'weeaboo' does cross my mind.
Lol, this reminds me of a few years ago, I was visiting a small island chain off the coast of Ireland called the Aran Islands. After a night of drinking, I woke up the next morning and I was still a little buzzed (I don't drink very often) and I passed by what I recognized to be a young Japanese couple by their language sounding familiar. I turned to them and bowed, shouting 'ohayou gozaimasu...' then walked away. They looked really confused and I heard them giving some nervous laughter as well . Given the setting, it was probably completed unexpected to them.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 17:32   Link #110
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Heh, you gave them a story to tell over drinks when they got home.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 10:47   Link #111
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Lol, this reminds me of a few years ago, I was visiting a small island chain off the coast of Ireland called the Aran Islands. After a night of drinking, I woke up the next morning and I was still a little buzzed (I don't drink very often) and I passed by what I recognized to be a young Japanese couple by their language sounding familiar. I turned to them and bowed, shouting 'ohayou gozaimasu...' then walked away. They looked really confused and I heard them giving some nervous laughter as well . Given the setting, it was probably completed unexpected to them.
lol, ^ vote. Nice tipsy story
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 13:57   Link #112
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Heh, I work at a thrift store and Japanese come in to buy clothes now and then. I always greet them in their native language if I see them, explaining that I studied the language in high school. At first I was afraid they would think I was strange but after the second visit, they just smile and return my greetings naturally. Our store closes at eight-o'clock. The last time I saw one of the women come in, she smiled at me and said,
"Hachiji made ne?"
"Ah, hai hai" I replied back. XD

So I don't know if they're humoring me or are actually pleased to find a store clerk who can explain things to them in their language.

If it was me, I think I'd be relieved.
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 14:08   Link #113
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Heh, I work at a thrift store and Japanese come in to buy clothes now and then. I always greet them in their native language if I see them, explaining that I studied the language in high school. At first I was afraid they would think I was strange but after the second visit, they just smile and return my greetings naturally. Our store closes at eight-o'clock. The last time I saw one of the women come in, she smiled at me and said,
"Hachiji made ne?"
"Ah, hai hai" I replied back. XD

So I don't know if they're humoring me or are actually pleased to find a store clerk who can explain things to them in their language.

If it was me, I think I'd be relieved.
Thats cool. Where I live all the Japanese are not Japanese, theyre American, so itd be pretty mean if I talked to them in Japanese. Many of them dont know Japanese b/c, well, theyre American.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 17:12   Link #114
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Thats cool. Where I live all the Japanese are not Japanese, theyre American, so itd be pretty mean if I talked to them in Japanese. Many of them dont know Japanese b/c, well, theyre American.
My wife is Japanese-American (well, Texan to be specific, sansei). We joke that when we go to Japan, we'll have a tee shirt made for her to wear that says "Made in America" in kanji. Our two sons and I know more Japanese than she does.

We have had Japanese merchants say something to her in Japanese and I answered. Oh, the fun it is.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 17:26   Link #115
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My wife is Japanese-American (well, Texan to be specific, sansei). We joke that when we go to Japan, we'll have a tee shirt made for her to wear that says "Made in America" in kanji. Our two sons and I know more Japanese than she does.

We have had Japanese merchants say something to her in Japanese and I answered. Oh, the fun it is.
Yeah, I heard stories like that, where in Japan they expect foreign Japanese to know the language (I heard they treat all Asians like that, not sure why all the other Asians tho). I even heard a weird story where a white guy and his Korean girlfriend were at a restaurant, and the waitress kept looking at the girl to order. Even tho the guy was speaking Japanese to her and the girl didnt know Japanese at all. I think that was just a weird case though.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 17:33   Link #116
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My wife is Japanese-American (well, Texan to be specific, sansei). We joke that when we go to Japan, we'll have a tee shirt made for her to wear that says "Made in America" in kanji. Our two sons and I know more Japanese than she does.

We have had Japanese merchants say something to her in Japanese and I answered. Oh, the fun it is.
Maybe you should just run a restaurant with her in Yokohama or Kobe. And have the fun with the sailors on shore-leave trying to hit on her, thinking she is 20-year-old semi-punk with bleached greyish hair.

Very soon it will be a diplomatic issue - "Lolicious 50-year-old lady boss injures 8 Westerners due to language barrier, police refuse to intervene without riot gear".
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 20:49   Link #117
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Heh, that last line nearly comes true some days. But her hair is still jet black except for the antenna sprouts (about 10 or 20 hairs) over her forehead.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 21:18   Link #118
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Yeah, I heard stories like that, where in Japan they expect foreign Japanese to know the language (I heard they treat all Asians like that, not sure why all the other Asians tho). I even heard a weird story where a white guy and his Korean girlfriend were at a restaurant, and the waitress kept looking at the girl to order. Even tho the guy was speaking Japanese to her and the girl didnt know Japanese at all. I think that was just a weird case though.
In Japan if you speak comprehensibly and you are Asian, it seems more natural to the setting...or at least that's what I encounter.

Even with foreign services like at the airport or duty free shops, staff would speak entirely in Japanese even if they see your passport.
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 00:07   Link #119
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
In Japan if you speak comprehensibly and you are Asian, it seems more natural to the setting...or at least that's what I encounter.

Even with foreign services like at the airport or duty free shops, staff would speak entirely in Japanese even if they see your passport.
Hm, it makes perfect sense to assume that. That must make it much easier to practice though huh?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 10:34   Link #120
Mitsuho
No Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Thank you Kudryavka for making this thread.

I passed through a weeaboo phase during my chuunibyou period. Even now I suffer from communication errors. Errors of privilege, pride, pretentiousness. Shame on me for being so weak; being no where near sophisticated enough to act a good deal of degrees closer to your stereotype of me but instead hemorrhaging my pretensions over you.

White is a slur (PDF), yet I wear it, identify with it, and suffer guilt under it. As a child I could do naught but throw myself into a culture where I don't fit to atone for my skin, beauty, and privilege. Whites made the prettiest slaves.

I am not a caucasian. I've never been to the caucasus.

I come to this thread today having been banned from another forum for saying, "Now you're a normalfag AND a namefag." What exactly, is problematic about this language? Is it not the same as getting 'too worked up' over being called 'white.'
Spoiler for Obfuscated potentially offensive content to prove a point about white+Japanese.:
If you are offended by my question here, please read on.

Wapanese is a race. I'd like you to pause for a moment and think about the difference between plural and singular. Does the collective human race take the singular verb or not? If I take poetic licence and allude to its plurality of membership and make-up by using the plural I am violating rules of grammar. It acts like a singular. Stereotypes are the same. A singular that no one human can be.

A question we could ask anyone has now emerged. How human are you? Do you belong to the group called humans? Now what about weeaboo. How weeaboo are you?

A faggot, in it's archaic usage is a bundle of sticks. Homosexuals were burned in a fire along with witches for the crime of not fitting in. How many faggots wasn't a question about how many homosexuals were burned, but how many bundles of sticks were needed to burn the heretics properly. Please now consider the leap to the saying, "Die in a fire." 'Please leave the community as you are not wanted.' No doubt it is derogatory. Faggot is also a singular (bundle) which has memberships (sticks). How much of a stick are you?

The channer usage has migrated so far to me as to be as innocuous as being called average. Namefag = who you are is taking precedence over what you are doing. Past work under your name creates a bias to the value of your current production in the absence of critical review. Normalfag = you are a member of humanity. No one is dying in a fire anymore. What is being insulted here, and being burned at the stake, is one's pretensions that their output is anything better than the community norm. Essentially 'fag' has become synonymous in that community with 'person.'

Intersectionality is "the study of the interactions of multiple systems of oppression or discrimination." What is acting black? If I act Japanese, what am I TAKING from you?

Thanks again to Kudryavka for making and curating this thread. It's rough to think that everything we do is oppressing someone. Every annoyance we feel could be rooted in someone not being animesuki enough, not being X enough, or being too religious.

Does anyone here self identify as wapanese or a weeaboo?
Mitsuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.