AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-25, 18:51   Link #21
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
I'm so interest in how they incorporate mecha and battleships.

* Imagine Transformers and Star Wars
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 18:59   Link #22
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
No, in Macross he's Japanese. In Robotech his race is not clear, but his name sounds European or American (which doesnt define what race he is).
Yeah. IIRC Hikaru's name in Robotech is Rick Hunter. That sounds like American to me.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 19:28   Link #23
sweet-d
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
So he could really be any race or ethnicity in a live action movie. Philipp Rosler is a good example os this. It doesn't really matter if this movie does get made it will probably suck.
sweet-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 21:05   Link #24
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
No, in Macross he's Japanese. In Robotech his race is not clear, but his name sounds European or American (which doesnt define what race he is).

And as we all know, Harmony Gold doesnt give two flying hoots about the real Macross. Theyve taken so many steps to make sure the real Macross cant come to America, not even the new ones like Frontier.
i really can't figure out how HG manage to keep the rights to Macross for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yeah. IIRC Hikaru's name in Robotech is Rick Hunter. That sounds like American to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-d View Post
So he could really be any race or ethnicity in a live action movie. Philipp Rosler is a good example os this. It doesn't really matter if this movie does get made it will probably suck.
Rick is American

the Robotech novels expended on the cast's background which confirms it.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 23:05   Link #25
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: brunei darusalam
Age: 24
Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
& how about the merchandise? i bet it will be Bandai's worst headache ever......
__________________
TRANSFORMERS
MACHINE ROBO
DIAROBO
GYROZETTER
DRAGUN H.E.X. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 23:28   Link #26
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Age: 27
Normally I'm not one to immediately dump on proposed live-action adaptations, but this one has me shaking my head. Akiva Goldsman? Really? I can see the tagline already: "From the Executive Producer who brought you Paranormal Activity 2, 3, and 4 . . . " Looking at his sheet, he has been attached to just about every piss-poor adaptation of a supernatural/fantasy project in the past decade or so.

Fortunately, it's highly unlikely that this will ever get off the ground. Most likely it will flounder somewhere in development hell when they realize quite how many hundreds of millions it would take to decently produce.
__________________

(Summer 2014 - Currently Watching)
Sailor Moon Crystal | Tokyo Ghoul | Aldnoah.Zero
Zankyou no Terror | Glasslip | Hanayamata
Rosalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 23:56   Link #27
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: brunei darusalam
Age: 24
Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
the last original western movie makers adaptation of the Macross, Southern Cross, & Mospeada of the Robotech francise is that forgetable animated Shadow Chronicles movie & HECK it was god awful man!!! makes me scared of eating pineapple pie because of it,

i hope they never repeat the DAMN same mistake again.....
__________________
TRANSFORMERS
MACHINE ROBO
DIAROBO
GYROZETTER
DRAGUN H.E.X. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 02:01   Link #28
Dragonkid11
A random-man
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
DAMN

Freaking Robotech got a movie while Battletech still getting screwed by Gold Harmony

WHY DID THE VILLAIN WIN WHY!!!!!!!!!*Skyward scream*
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 02:10   Link #29
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
I actually think Macross could make for a decent Hollywood movie, but I don't think this is it.

I'd say this'll end out in development hell, or bomb at the box office and be forgotten.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 07:22   Link #30
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i really can't figure out how HG manage to keep the rights to Macross for so long.
It's complicated.

The way I understand it: the original show SDF Macross has split ownership. The design team (Studio Nue) and an advertising agency Big West (funding)own the authorship rights and the merchandising rights in Japan. The production studio Tatsunoko owns the actual footage and the international merchandising rights.

Tasunoko licensed SDF Macross to HG together with their own properties Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada. Carl Macek had those dubbed and edited to form Robotech. This license is renewed every 10 years and includes the international merchandising rights outside of Japan.

Those merchandising rights lie at the heart of the legal battle between Big West and Tatsunoko.
HG had word Macross trademarked so they own the brand name in most major anime markets outside Japan. Which blocks any manga, toys, DVDs based on Macross or it's sequels from getting licensed in the US or Europe.

Only Nue/Big West can make sequels as they own the authorship rights. Tasunoko and HG can only distribute the original show and sell toys based on it.

For Robotech Sentinels and Shadow Chronicles HG/Tatsunoko worked around this by using the American names and the mecha from Genesis Climber Mospeada and Southern Cross. Expect the same treatment for the movie if there is any semblance to anime to begin with.

Last edited by Bri; 2013-01-26 at 08:03.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 07:35   Link #31
Dragonkid11
A random-man
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
It's complicated.

The way I understand it: the original show SDF Macross has split ownership. The design team (Studio Nue) and an advertising agency Big West (funding)own the authorship rights and the merchandising rights in Japan. The production studio Tatsunoko owns the actual footage and the international merchandising rights.

Tasunoko licensed SDF Macross to HG together with their own properties Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada. Carl Macek had those dubbed and edited to form Robotech. This license is renewed every 10 years and includes the international merchandising rights outside of Japan.

Those merchandising rights lie at the heart of the legal battle between Big West and Tatsunoko as they block overseas sale of toys and DVDs or Macross sequels.
HG in turn had word Macross trademarked so they own the brand name in most major anime markets outside Japan. Which blocks any manga, toys, DVDs based on Macross or it's sequels from getting licensed in the US or Europe.

Only Nue/Big West can make sequels as they own the authorship rights. Tasunoko and HG can only distribute the original show and sell toys based on it.

For Robotech Sentinels and Shadow Chronicles HG/Tatsunoko worked around this by using the American names and the mecha from Genesis Climber Mospeada and Southern Cross. Expect the same treatment for the movie if there is any semblance to anime to begin with.
........

I didn't know their evilness was this sophisticated...
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 07:35   Link #32
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
It's complicated.

The way I understand it: the original show SDF Macross has split ownership. The design team (Studio Nue) and an advertising agency Big West (funding)own the authorship rights and the merchandising rights in Japan. The production studio Tatsunoko owns the actual footage and the international merchandising rights.

Tasunoko licensed SDF Macross to HG together with their own properties Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada. Carl Macek had those dubbed and edited to form Robotech. This license is renewed every 10 years and includes the international merchandising rights outside of Japan.

Those merchandising rights lie at the heart of the legal battle between Big West and Tatsunoko as they block overseas sale of toys and DVDs or Macross sequels.
HG in turn had word Macross trademarked so they own the brand name in most major anime markets outside Japan. Which blocks any manga, toys, DVDs based on Macross or it's sequels from getting licensed in the US or Europe.

Only Nue/Big West can make sequels as they own the authorship rights. Tasunoko and HG can only distribute the original show and sell toys based on it.

For Robotech Sentinels and Shadow Chronicles HG/Tatsunoko worked around this by using the American names and the mecha from Genesis Climber Mospeada and Southern Cross. Expect the same treatment for the movie if there is any semblance to anime to begin with.
Exactly.

And if Big West (who I believe in Japan is now undisputedly the owner to all things Macross except the actual footage from Tatsunokos stuff) ever changes their mind about selling Macross stuff in USA, theyll have to bring Harmony Gold down first. Which shouldnt be a problem at all since here we have "first made" copyright law, so if Big West proves they made up Macross name before Harmony Gold, they will automatically take the Macross copyright from HG.

imho cant wait to see that happen, HG has crossed the line too far by claiming ownership to future Macross installments and purposely preventing those from coming to USA.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 08:00   Link #33
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Exactly.

And if Big West (who I believe in Japan is now undisputedly the owner to all things Macross except the actual footage from Tatsunokos stuff) ever changes their mind about selling Macross stuff in USA, theyll have to bring Harmony Gold down first. Which shouldnt be a problem at all since here we have "first made" copyright law, so if Big West proves they made up Macross name before Harmony Gold, they will automatically take the Macross copyright from HG.
Unfortunately in the early 2000s, Big West assisted by Bandai's lawyers were denied the trade mark in the US in favor of HG/Tatsunoko. Legally it's not that easy it seems.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 08:05   Link #34
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Unfortunately in the early 2000s, Big West assisted by Bandai's lawyers were denied the trade mark in the US in favor of HG/Tatsunoko. Legally it's not that easy it seems.
How did HG prove that they owned Macross before Big West???
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 08:20   Link #35
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
2015. http://blog.sci-fi-stuff.com/full-me...lion-optioned/

At least thats going to have the consent of the original makers.
How the hell would a full metal panic movie work as a live action American release?

Half the appeal of Full Metal Panic is Sagara acting like a violent paranoid gun totting murder hobo in a Japanese high school. Which would be effectively impossible to make into a movie in America, because everyone is so uptight about school shootings.


Oh well. For all we know they'll have Sagara be played by Tom Cruise protecting the female heroine in an office building, and drop the high school setting entirely.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 08:53   Link #36
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
How the hell would a full metal panic movie work as a live action American release?

Half the appeal of Full Metal Panic is Sagara acting like a violent paranoid gun totting murder hobo in a Japanese high school. Which would be effectively impossible to make into a movie in America, because everyone is so uptight about school shootings.


Oh well. For all we know they'll have Sagara be played by Tom Cruise protecting the female heroine in an office building, and drop the high school setting entirely.
Hollywood knows how to make it work. And in the process ruin it
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 08:58   Link #37
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
How did HG prove that they owned Macross before Big West???
I'm not sure but it involves first usage.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 09:39   Link #38
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Hollywood knows how to make it work. And in the process ruin it
When has Hollywood EVER made a live action adaption of any cartoon besides Transformers and made it work? And I don't think they've ever successfully adapted something that was anime/animesque. The Speed Racer and Last Airbender movies completely bombed.

I know modern Hollywood is deathly afraid of taking the risk with original material...but I really can't comprehend why they think making live action adaptions to obscure Japanese media is somehow any safer. At least in America, allot of this stuff is still pretty niche relatively speaking, so it's not like you get big publicity points for adapting it. Especially when you need to modify the original so heavily to appeal to a mainstream audience.


Now the amusing thing? The Macross saga IS probably something that could be translated into a Hollywood live action movie reasonably well, especially since it's cast already had a heavy international flavor, and a precedent for that style of adaption. The only problem? Macross/Robotech is stuck in the midst of the most preposterous IP copyright shenanigans thanks to Harmony Gold.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 10:15   Link #39
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
When has Hollywood EVER made a live action adaption of any cartoon besides Transformers and made it work? And I don't think they've ever successfully adapted something that was anime/animesque. The Speed Racer and Last Airbender movies completely bombed.
I meant make it work as in make some sort of resemblance of a movie... Note how I said "and ruin it in the process" right after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
I'm not sure but it involves first usage.
Hm, perhaps b/c HG and Tatsunoko used it in USA first...

w/e, screw Harmony Gold for all this crap.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 13:05   Link #40
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
What is wrong with Hollywood?
Has it become so destitute for ideas that it has to dredge up the sludge of the 80s?

Not to be overly cynical about this, but Robotech isn't anywhere near as good as Macross, Mosepeada, or Southern Cross Calvary.
Hell, I think the live action versions of Gai King and Grandizer will be better than this Robotech project.

Gai King:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUsEOZ4xWhQ

Grandizer:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Meo3Gg1QR0
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.