AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-27, 14:14   Link #41
Hiroi Sekai
Kiss Already, Damn it!
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I've never heard anything about there being better or worse copies of the game... I don't see how that could even work. It would be a whole region or w/e that would have gotten a "broken" copy and I never heard anything like that either. There was just one save game bug that got patched.
Go through multiple review sites and see how varied their write-ups of the game's controls are. It's probably more of a "only works great on certain types of TVs" or something like that, but that's still a bug in my eyes, considering you can't calibrate the game itself for yours.

I did legitimate enough research on this, so I know it's a thing. Out of the 50 people I asked (through internet and real life), 21 said they had serious problems with the controls (as I did), and the other 29 said the game moved beautifully. If it was one or two copies I'd call them faulty and have 'em replaced, but by god.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 14:21   Link #42
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Otherwise it is pretty hard to find nowadays. Only eBay for used and decent price. Of course if you already have it there's no reason to get that though. OoT 3D wasn't special at all except the 3D and redone graphics...
Not exactly. It had the Master Quest version of the game included once you beat the regular version. Sure it's not exactly "new" per-se because Master Quest was originally released on the Gamecube, though it wasn't really an easy release to come by because the copies of it were rather limited.

However, what was new was that it it implemented a boss rush/replay mode that no previous versions of OoT ever had. So it's incorrect to say the 3DS version was just a graphical enhancement, it did in fact have a new feature even if it was very miniscule.
__________________

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2013-01-27 at 14:44.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 14:23   Link #43
jedinat
フリーター
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Go through multiple review sites and see how varied their write-ups of the game's controls are. It's probably more of a "only works great on certain types of TVs" or something like that, but that's still a bug in my eyes, considering you can't calibrate the game itself for yours.

I did legitimate enough research on this, so I know it's a thing. Out of the 50 people I asked (through internet and real life), 21 said they had serious problems with the controls (as I did), and the other 29 said the game moved beautifully. If it was one or two copies I'd call them faulty and have 'em replaced, but by god.
I had some problems too, but it's probably as much about the player as TV/sensor placement, etc... Like whether they play standing up or sitting on the couch, whether they keep trying to use the wiimote like a sword or pandered to the actual mechanics of the game, whether they just sucked at the controls, etc...

Also some of the visual indicators for making motions just aren't very good and can easily be misunderstood. Like it took me about half the game to finally understand what it wanted me to do with the stupid harp, lol...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 15:31   Link #44
Hiroi Sekai
Kiss Already, Damn it!
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I had some problems too, but it's probably as much about the player as TV/sensor placement, etc... Like whether they play standing up or sitting on the couch, whether they keep trying to use the wiimote like a sword or pandered to the actual mechanics of the game, whether they just sucked at the controls, etc...

Also some of the visual indicators for making motions just aren't very good and can easily be misunderstood. Like it took me about half the game to finally understand what it wanted me to do with the stupid harp, lol...
I think you're underplaying what I'm mentioning. These people I asked completed the game (included myself), so it's not a matter of sucking at the controls or being unable to adjust. Everyone had ample room to try and fix their positioning, and nothing. I know this is an example in its beta stages, but there was the famous E3 presentation of the game where Miyamoto had serious troubles with the controls. "Turn off your cell phones", they said. That probably had nothing to do with it.

Just look that up and it shows how many people pushed through the game. It's just not fun when it's doing that.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 17:04   Link #45
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Because it looks better and will play in a much larger, clearer resolution? Wind Waker's art is cel-shaded, so making them HD isn't even a bad thing.

Also, on the topic of Wind Waker's Sea VS. Skyward Sword's Sky, I don't get the complaints about either. The sea had plenty to explore and paying attention rewarded you cool fights and awesome weather changes. God forbid we have to actually navigate for more than 5 minutes in an "adventure" game. Yet I see people playing Fallout 3 without fast travel because it's fun to explore. As for the skies, they're definitely somewhat barren, but it's just a branching overworld to me. "Why walk, when you can fly?" comes to mind, and you have the occasional events up there too.

Like I said, my complaints with Skyward Sword weren't about the actual game at all- I think it's pretty and feels like a proper 3D Zelda game. My copy just happened to be downright broken, so using the gimmick of swinging in certain directions completely impeded my progress and ruined my fun. If I have access to a nice copy someday, I'll definitely play it.
I would say your remote's wonky, or you need to recalibrate it because there's too much light in whatever room you play in.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 17:20   Link #46
Hiroi Sekai
Kiss Already, Damn it!
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
I would say your remote's wonky, or you need to recalibrate it because there's too much light in whatever room you play in.
Every other game I play it with works as intended, and that has been tried. Multiple remotes tried. Moved television and setup around. Played in both night and day situations, nothing. Something was seriously wrong with that game alone.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 17:33   Link #47
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Every other game I play it with works as intended, and that has been tried. Multiple remotes tried. Moved television and setup around. Played in both night and day situations, nothing. Something was seriously wrong with that game alone.
Ok. But make sure your remote is calibrated in Wii settings, it doesn't really directly correlate with time of day.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 17:48   Link #48
Hiroi Sekai
Kiss Already, Damn it!
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Ok. But make sure your remote is calibrated in Wii settings, it doesn't really directly correlate with time of day.
Yes, I did that. By "night or day", I was suggesting the lighting conditions of the time- darker and brighter. Also used room lights and turned them off too but the problem still persisted.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 18:48   Link #49
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Is it on Wii U VC yet?

Otherwise it is pretty hard to find nowadays. Only eBay for used and decent price. Of course if you already have it there's no reason to get that though.
Hard to find? It's quite easy to find in my region, actually. You're bound to find it in used shops and at retro conventions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Because it looks better and will play in a much larger, clearer resolution? Wind Waker's art is cel-shaded, so making them HD isn't even a bad thing.
I strongly disagree that eye candy is a reason to buy the exact same game again. These lazy cash-ins should not be encouraged.

If you really need your HD fix, you can always emulate the game in Dolphin and bump the internal resolution to HD levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Go through multiple review sites and see how varied their write-ups of the game's controls are. It's probably more of a "only works great on certain types of TVs" or something like that, but that's still a bug in my eyes, considering you can't calibrate the game itself for yours.
I don't think the TV matters, as only the sensor bar is used by the Wiimote.
__________________
SeaMonkey - surfing the net has never been so suite
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 19:18   Link #50
Hiroi Sekai
Kiss Already, Damn it!
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I strongly disagree that eye candy is a reason to buy the exact same game again. These lazy cash-ins should not be encouraged.
I'm not saying "go buy it because it's in HD", I'm just saying "don't be against it because it's in HD". Nintendo does need something like a new franchise to stem from instead of leeching off of Miyamoto's loved series, but I don't think the existence of this is negative at all.

That, and it's a console game. You can't just tell people to bump up their Dolphin emulator to match it when most people who avidly console game won't have a corresponding gaming PC, or at least one that will run those HD graphics smoothly.

Quote:
I don't think the TV matters, as only the sensor bar is used by the Wiimote.
Also yes, that's true, and that's my point. Unless everyone's setup was faulty (which I doubt, because like I said, every other game worked fine), I still think it relates to the game itself. It wants specifics; it has parameters that were set too tight, and although I don't know the techy-biz behind it all, I saw a very split community on the game working and not working as it should for them.

On a random note, I still think motion controls in general should be burned before it becomes the quintessential fad.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 20:23   Link #51
jedinat
フリーター
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
If you really need your HD fix, you can always emulate the game in Dolphin and bump the internal resolution to HD levels.
Not really. It runs like crap on Dolphin with a lot of glitches besides.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 20:34   Link #52
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Hard to find? It's quite easy to find in my region, actually. You're bound to find it in used shops and at retro conventions.
Phew, lucky you man! Where I'm at you can't find any GC games anymore, not even the ones with seemingly infinite prints like Wind Waker. The only games from that era the shops have in spades are PS2 games, I guess because the damn thing's still not dead (or maybe it died recently, I can't keep up with gaming to the minute anymore). My local store has brand new Slims for $89.99 and brand new Kingdom Hearts 2 for $15.99. And we still got some third party companies actually releasing stuff on there (though all just doo ports of the Wii versions, really ).
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 20:55   Link #53
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 26
It's things like that that make me hold onto previous game systems (if the newer versions aren't backwards compatible) and the games for them. You never know when you want to play them again.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 21:04   Link #54
Hiroi Sekai
Kiss Already, Damn it!
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
It's things like that that make me hold onto previous game systems (if the newer versions aren't backwards compatible) and the games for them. You never know when you want to play them again.
Agreed. Especially for Nintendo's consoles, it's nigh impossible to achieve a similar feeling to the authentic brand. That rectangular NES controller and sitting in front of the CRT. That trident N64 controller and snapping in the cartridge. Gamecube especially; it has a special feel that I can't even compare to a different Nintendo console.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 22:54   Link #55
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Agreed. Especially for Nintendo's consoles, it's nigh impossible to achieve a similar feeling to the authentic brand. That rectangular NES controller and sitting in front of the CRT. That trident N64 controller and snapping in the cartridge. Gamecube especially; it has a special feel that I can't even compare to a different Nintendo console.
You had a NES?? Where you get it from unless you're older than you say lol
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 23:04   Link #56
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 26
He's not much younger than me, and I have an NES as well.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 23:11   Link #57
Hiroi Sekai
Kiss Already, Damn it!
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
You had a NES?? Where you get it from unless you're older than you say lol
"HAD"? Don't insult me. I have my CRT with NES, SNES and Sega Genesis still here, cartridges/controllers/massive power boxes/coaxial cables and all.


Here's the pic I kept.

I just bought 'em all online. Easy access for us folk nowadays, but people are more into CoD and such instead of Chrono Trigger, y'know? [Ultimate irony: CoD4 and MW3 are on that shelf of mine. Those aren't mine, but I do own Black Ops, I will not deny.)

Let's not go off topic though.
__________________

Last edited by Hiroi Sekai; 2013-01-27 at 23:29.
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 23:53   Link #58
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
That's a sweet collection.

I was just surprised that someone got one they didnt have when they were a kid. b/c they can get expensive nowadays...
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 08:29   Link #59
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
I'm not saying "go buy it because it's in HD", I'm just saying "don't be against it because it's in HD".
That's not much different because we all know that the HD resolution is the selling point of this re-release, and people fall for it.
Quote:
On a random note, I still think motion controls in general should be burned before it becomes the quintessential fad.
I think that's too narrow-minded as they allow for more interesting gameplay.
__________________
SeaMonkey - surfing the net has never been so suite
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 17:02   Link #60
Hiroi Sekai
Kiss Already, Damn it!
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
That's not much different because we all know that the HD resolution is the selling point of this re-release, and people fall for it.
Because like I said, it seems to clean up the graphics without ruining the original style, making it a great way for fans of the original to pick it up (or a good way for them to introduce it to someone who hasn't played it yet). If you view it that way, then just don't pay for it, simple.

Quote:
I think that's too narrow-minded as they allow for more interesting gameplay.
What I meant is that the standard for motion control right now is shaky and stuttery at best. Simple stuff like Nintendo Land's mini games on the Wii U work decently well, but that's been the apex of what I've seen motion controls help with. Everything except Dance Central seemed to be broken with Kinect, the Wii is unpredictable, and by god don't even get me started on Playstation Move or trying to use the SixAxis "tilt". Ever try throwing a grenade on Uncharted? Utter misery. The 3DS' tilt is a bad idea too, since the 3D breaks when you do it.

But hey, I'll be open minded here. I think at the base you mean that it gives potential for simple, pickup/expansive ideas to exist, and I'll agree. However, referring back up to my last paragraph, the industry standard just seems to be junk/broken. Either bring the standard up to the games that do work/are enjoyable, or stop shoving motion things where they don't need to be.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.