AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-28, 14:43   Link #421
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 23
Hate is a strong word for this but I'm slightly annoyed by generic cuteness (TV tropes ahoy!) in situations where one character is described as "average" or "slightly overweight" when said character doesn't look any better or worse than the "school idol/beautiful" character.

Was it harem anime 108 or 143? I can't remember...
__________________
Your kiss stopped the beat of my heart, and brought me close to you despite the fact that we have
been together for all of this time, and shared a dream and promise for a door that we'd walk through
The door opened now but it was always so clear, it lets me see your love as it shines like a ruby
It feels like nothing's between us, my soul is drawn to your heart with a feeling and hope that I...will show
My love...to you...
with...our FirstKissMy MAL
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai review
Wanna mouse over her?
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 18:32   Link #422
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
What!? What 'benefits' could there possibly be!? The last thing teens need is more encouragement and convenient places to have sex!
My understanding is that they're used for people to have sex in a private environment without fear of disturbing neighbors or other residents. It's not about encouraging sexual engagements, as much as "Here's a place we can go that's private, and we can have sex without disturbing anyone or being disturbed ourselves, but we have to pay money also so we can't do it often." It's also my understanding that it gets just as much use from people in their 20s and 30s as teenagers. If that's not the case I'm happy to be corrected, but that's what I've read and been told by people who have been to them.

Quote:
I don't know if it's quite fair to ask this of anime when TV shows and movies made in America normally put America as the center of the universe. The biggest action blockbusters have two cities: Manhattan or L.A.
So asking Japan to stop using Tokyo as a setting definitely makes us hypocrites.
This is true. I suppose I'm referring to more culture than actual physical setting. For example, Stein's;Gate was set in Tokyo but it didn't showcase culture all up and down itself. It was people, who just happen to live in Tokyo, being people.

I guess what I'm asking for is for authors to be more inventive and pay less attention to big cultural occurrences. I feel like you get those cliches of the culture festival and New Years' shrine visits where they're not wholly necessary. Take TWGOK for an example: There IS a culture festival, but it's almost inconsequential to the story. It just happened to be a thing happening and it wasn't a big deal, but it provided a convenience. There was no focus on: "What will class 2-A do for the culture festival?!" or "Oh em gee let's go look at all of the cafes and drool over the cosplayers." I suppose I'm just tired of seeing these cultural things being overplayed to death to the extent that if you've lived, you know that Japan has culture festivals in highschool. I have no doubt that there are so many more things happening in Japan that can receive screen time, and Hyouka is yet another fine example. The hina procession was a fantastic thing to show because it's not a huge thing that everyone and their mother knows exists. It was a local event that was original and unlike what you normally end up seeing. That's the kind of stuff that I want to see, things that I've never seen before.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 21:11   Link #423
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
The discussion of love hotels is interesting and all (when presented in context), but let's please try to keep this thread to the topic at hand (lest it degrade into moral debates about sex/abortion/etc.).
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 23:54   Link #424
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I hate it when nukes are avoided and replaced with weapons that are functionally exactly the same. Yes I know Japan got nuked so it's touchy but if that's the case why have the WMD play a role in the first place? Retarded.
Why not? As long as its not a real nuke (since the Japanese apparently hates nukes), that's fine. How else would you show planet-annihilating powers in anime, anyway? Dragon Ball doesn't count, by the way. It's just Ki energy ramped up to impossible levels.

Quote:
I hate it when a character is reduced to his/her archetype, with no variation or surprises.
No comment on this except the fact that everything has already been done before.

Quote:
I hate it when the male/female ratio is massively skewed in a situation where it really shouldn't be (i.e. school).
Maybe the school used to be an all-girls school and it has become co-ed just recently? Or maybe males in anime aren't particularly interesting anyway. Some if not all Otakus watch anime for the girls, after all.

Quote:
I hate it when an anime fails to go "outside the box"; it has a typical high school/guys + lots of girls environment, a few characters to embody the popular archetypes, and despite whatever unique premise it may have had still feels really, really typical. There was a show, Gunparade March, where Japan was like the only country left, yet everything there still looked normal and everyone acted like they would in peacetime. There was literally no effort on the part of the producers to create the extreme wartime atmosphere that should've been been present for like 98% of the series.
Uh, so that is what "outside of the box" means to you? How can you show there is a war going on when you constantly depict it as anything BUT war?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
Hate is a strong word for this but I'm slightly annoyed by generic cuteness (TV tropes ahoy!) in situations where one character is described as "average" or "slightly overweight" when said character doesn't look any better or worse than the "school idol/beautiful" character.
Apparently, it's difficult to draw "average" or "slightly overweight" characters without making them too ugly or too fat.

Pop media bans ugly and fat characters, after all. /sarcasm

However, Chihiro Kosaka from The World God Only Knows really does look average compared to the other girls.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 00:20   Link #425
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Why not? As long as its not a real nuke (since the Japanese apparently hates nukes), that's fine. How else would you show planet-annihilating powers in anime, anyway? Dragon Ball doesn't count, by the way. It's just Ki energy ramped up to impossible levels.
Nukes are a very cliche "end of the world" device. Especially in the U.S. It's always nukes that will end the world! Remember lasers on the moon? The other one is stealing people's minds/souls/ability to not be a zombie. Yes yes, everyone becomes zombies if the bad guys win, woooo... Old!
[quoteMaybe the school used to be an all-girls school and it has become co-ed just recently? Or maybe males in anime aren't particularly interesting anyway. Some if not all Otakus watch anime for the girls, after all.[/quote]
This is in itself a cliche. An annoying one at that.
Quote:
However, Chihiro Kosaka from The World God Only Knows really does look average compared to the other girls.
Almost all of the girls in TWGOK are average in appearance. That's kind of the point.

You know who is REALLY normal though? Normal Girl from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 00:35   Link #426
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Anime cliche that you hate, with a good reason

Magic or rather Fantasy and science being used interchangeably.... to the point you can't even differentiate one form the other.... e.g. Gundam Seed, MuvLuv Alternative:TE, Vividread, and Evol.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 01:27   Link #427
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
One early example of nuclear weapons replacement with something similar but totally different was the "Planet Bombs" of Space Battleship Yamato. These weapons, originally radioactive asteroids used by the Gamilas to bombard earth for at least five years, rendered the planetary surface uninhabitable, with the radiation seeping deeper into the surface threatening the underground cities and the human population that had relocated there for safety.

The sequence used to present then shows the giant glowing rocks slam into the Earth with a giant mushroom cloud as the result and a Red cratered Earth with no bodies of water and sparce cloud cover.


The responce to this weapon was the even deadlier Wave Motion Gun, which goes beyond nuclear and mushoom clouds and just freaking vaporizes stuff is giant explosions. (The eventual responce to the Wave Moton Gun was Planet Killer Missiles that could one shot a planet or cause a small star to start dying to become a Red Giant.)
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 05:37   Link #428
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
*snip information about WTF superweapons*
. . .

I should watch Space Battleship Yamato some day.

Seriously, I feel like some of the stuff I just read is as uncliche as you can get. Almost Austin Powers-esque superweapons all up in that series.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 13:11   Link #429
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
The Ideon is the most ridiculous example of this, its weapons start at planet killing then later on the universe gets destroyed or at least that is how it is interpreted.
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 18:43   Link #430
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
What is it? Anime Girls that hates to be seen in their underwear but begs to be seen in a bikini/some are actually revealing...

Worst Offenders: Ecchi animes and some romance animes

Notable Exceptions: One piece swim wear; Swimsuits that aren't considered as bikinis ; Those that covers more skin

What makes it popular: Men.... us men...

Reasons I hate it: Irony?

Is the hate really worth it?Sometimes....because its fa nservice, too much is too much...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 19:53   Link #431
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
What is it? Anime Girls that hates to be seen in their underwear but begs to be seen in a bikini/some are actually revealing...
This is more of a basic cultural/social thing than any sort of fictional cliche.

At some level, it does seem odd, since a girl's two-piece swimsuit generally doesn't cover any more than a girl's two-piece underwear does. But here is where social norms and values take over.

"Swimwear" being appropriate attire for trips to the beach and/or for going swimming has been engrained in us. And there's practical reasons for this - You don't want to be wearing much in very hot places and/or when you're going swimming. So swimwear is not meant to be "under" or "hidden".

"Underwear", as the very term suggests, is meant to be worn under the rest of your clothes. When it comes to practicality, its intended to give added warmth, support, protection, and cleanliness. Because its intended to be "under" and "hidden", it becomes engrained in the minds of many of us that its "embarrassing" to be seen in our underwear (unless the whole point is for it to arouse a sexual partner, which can make it even more embarrassing for your underwear to be seen by someone you have a crush on but aren't yet in any sort of real relationship with).
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 20:26   Link #432
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
I got the point that its more of a norm... But its just my opinion.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 20:45   Link #433
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I got the point that its more of a norm... But its just my opinion.
So if you get it's more of a norm,why do you think it's a cliché again?

Seems like you're complaining about a revealing some swimsuits are,that's a legitimate complaint,but again,that's not a cliché either.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 20:50   Link #434
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Seems like you're complaining about a revealing some swimsuits are,that's a legitimate complaint,but again,that's not a cliché either.
My humble apologies...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 22:13   Link #435
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
This is more of a basic cultural/social thing than any sort of fictional cliche.

At some level, it does seem odd, since a girl's two-piece swimsuit generally doesn't cover any more than a girl's two-piece underwear does. But here is where social norms and values take over.

"Swimwear" being appropriate attire for trips to the beach and/or for going swimming has been engrained in us. And there's practical reasons for this - You don't want to be wearing much in very hot places and/or when you're going swimming. So swimwear is not meant to be "under" or "hidden".

"Underwear", as the very term suggests, is meant to be worn under the rest of your clothes. When it comes to practicality, its intended to give added warmth, support, protection, and cleanliness. Because its intended to be "under" and "hidden", it becomes engrained in the minds of many of us that its "embarrassing" to be seen in our underwear (unless the whole point is for it to arouse a sexual partner, which can make it even more embarrassing for your underwear to be seen by someone you have a crush on but aren't yet in any sort of real relationship with).
Adding to this, panties can have a much more embarrassing pattern on them compared to swimwear. There seems to be a popular, running gag in anime with teenage girls who wear panties with goofy-looking animals on them like teddy bears or puppies (though Komari's unique anteater is worthy of a mention ). These prints are regarded as childish but they are panties and "not meant to be seen". So it's an even funnier joke if the girl's crush sees her wearing these embarrassing panties.
Even DBZ cashed in on this gag with one of their MALE characters!
Spoiler:


I really am curious if Japan actually makes panties like you see in anime. They ain't no where in America for TEENAGERS, that's for sure. XD


[Edit after Google search]
.........okay, I stand corrected.
__________________

Last edited by Chiibi; 2013-01-30 at 22:31.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 22:33   Link #436
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post

[Edit after Google search]
.........okay, I stand corrected.
OMG... That is so hot...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 00:15   Link #437
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Adding to this, panties can have a much more embarrassing pattern on them compared to swimwear. There seems to be a popular, running gag in anime with teenage girls who wear panties with goofy-looking animals on them like teddy bears or puppies (though Komari's unique anteater is worthy of a mention ). These prints are regarded as childish but they are panties and "not meant to be seen". So it's an even funnier joke if the girl's crush sees her wearing these embarrassing panties.
Ah yes. This infamous cliche.
"Ah~ Teddy bear pantsu." "Kyaaaa~!"

This links into another thing that annoys me, the cliche of severely overreacting. I know that some people do indeed overreact to panty flashes, and that's fine. However, I've never met a girl that was severely affected by a panty flash in the way that some anime characters are at times. Maybe that's a culture thing, but even then it's still a bit odd. In my experience (not me flashing, obviously. I don't wear panties. ) it tends to become an in-joke and rapidly evolve into humor and not really caring about it happening that much. It gets even worse with characters who feel that their lives have been destroyed by accidents like these. "Ohh~ They saw my panties/naked body. My life is ruined!"

For a great example of sane behavior, there's Michelle from Whose Line. Perhaps one of the most famous panty flashes in America.
Quote:
I really am curious if Japan actually makes panties like you see in anime. They ain't no where in America for TEENAGERS, that's for sure. XD

[Edit after Google search]
.........okay, I stand corrected.
Ah~. Teddy bear pantsu.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 00:53   Link #438
Darthtabby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Anime cliche that you hate, with a good reason

Magic or rather Fantasy and science being used interchangeably.... to the point you can't even differentiate one form the other.... e.g. Gundam Seed, MuvLuv Alternative:TE, Vividread, and Evol.
Why is Total Eclipse on that list? Vividread and Aquarion Evol I could understand (haven't seen SEED) but TE is pretty firmly on the sci-fi side of the spectrum.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 04:10   Link #439
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Why is Total Eclipse on that list? Vividread and Aquarion Evol I could understand (haven't seen SEED) but TE is pretty firmly on the sci-fi side of the spectrum.
It was until the last few episodes.. Remember the bluish glow on Inia and Cryska's mecha? The flame like thing...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 21:34   Link #440
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lion's Arch
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Alternate love interests that end up "losing" (some may consider it winning depending on the series) get no romantic closure of their own. Or even worse, they just disappear into oblivion.

Also... characters disappearing into oblivion in general just annoy the crap out of me. I remember Akira Toriyama would entirely forget about the existence of entire characters.

And of course, I've posted this before, but really it's not okay to abuse a character just because they are a guy and/or a loser.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.