AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-30, 08:17   Link #281
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I like the fact that they didn't beat around the bushes when they used incest as a plot device. I mean Sasami looks normal enough but she admits that everyone in her family has birth defects.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 15:16   Link #282
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Myths are flexible enough that they really can't be considered canon or not. For example, the Tama was not part of the royal treasures until much later when it was added in.
Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, "canon" isn't exactly the word I'd use either. It's the "authenticity". As flexible as it may be, it's also one whole field of academic study. No single man is going to change how a myth goes, much less without a proper academic proof. This single man is the author of Sasami-san, and I was merely pointing out where he(she? I don't know) stops using existing established myths and add in his own touch of creativity.


Which is A-OK, by the way. I do this with my own long hiatus extremely chuuni fantasy novel which mixes Norse, Greek, and Egypt myth together and add in my own And I personally like a lot of excellent fantasy stories even if they're not following the myth to the letter.

Speaking of which that reminds me of my unfinished attempt at a VN/LN-ish story long ago where I put in a Ninigi masquerading as a bartender with the name Tsurugi Tomoaki (剣珠鏡).
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 08:50   Link #283
TheEroKing
On a Break
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: India
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
NSFW
Nyantype
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
TheEroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 10:13   Link #284
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, "canon" isn't exactly the word I'd use either. It's the "authenticity". As flexible as it may be, it's also one whole field of academic study. No single man is going to change how a myth goes, much less without a proper academic proof. This single man is the author of Sasami-san, and I was merely pointing out where he(she? I don't know) stops using existing established myths and add in his own touch of creativity.
See, the fact is when we are dealing with myths that aren't centralised in some organisation, it is accepted that there are contradictions and confusions of what is or isn't authentic. This was never a problem as such, because these stories aren't gospel. They are not holy or intended to be unchanging. No one is going to start a war because they don't think Amateratsu is female, or don't know if the Moon God was born in a mirror or Izanagi's right eye.

If somehow, a dead sea scroll equivalent showed an alternate telling of the events, the Japanese would shrug and get on with their lives. There was never a "right" myth. They were stories passed down by people. It is not sacrilege in any way to claim that the deities aren't exactly the same as the common interpretation.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 12:12   Link #285
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Well, THAT escalated quickly.

Spoiler for Ep 4:
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 12:14   Link #286
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
NSFW
Nyantype
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 13:36   Link #287
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
See, the fact is when we are dealing with myths that aren't centralised in some organisation, it is accepted that there are contradictions and confusions of what is or isn't authentic. This was never a problem as such, because these stories aren't gospel. They are not holy or intended to be unchanging. No one is going to start a war because they don't think Amateratsu is female, or don't know if the Moon God was born in a mirror or Izanagi's right eye.

If somehow, a dead sea scroll equivalent showed an alternate telling of the events, the Japanese would shrug and get on with their lives. There was never a "right" myth. They were stories passed down by people. It is not sacrilege in any way to claim that the deities aren't exactly the same as the common interpretation.
Nobody said anything about sacrilege though. Yes, I'm aware there are different versions according to different sources as my very first post suggests. One thing the different versions have in common though is that they have A source, even if different ones.

Even though you are generally right in a sense, I still get the feeling that you are taking myths too lightly or mistaken my perspective. My point is the study of myths and folklore (mythology and folkloristics respectively) is very much the study of history; specifically a part of ethnology; so one should learn it with academic approach. This piece of pop novel (Sasami-san) can NOT be used as an authentic source to reflect to a civilization's culture history. Myths and folklore aren't that shallow.
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 14:00   Link #288
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Nobody said anything about sacrilege though. Yes, I'm aware there are different versions according to different sources as my very first post suggests. One thing the different versions have in common though is that they have A source, even if different ones.

Even though you are generally right in a sense, I still get the feeling that you are taking myths too lightly or mistaken my perspective. My point is the study of myths and folklore (mythology and folkloristics respectively) is very much the study of history; specifically a part of ethnology; so one should learn it with academic approach. This piece of pop novel (Sasami-san) can NOT be used as an authentic source to reflect to a civilization's culture history. Myths and folklore aren't that shallow.
So you think there was some deep and complex significance that the Tama was added to the royal treasures? Or more likely, somebody liked the number 3 and decided to add it in sometime on a whim and it stuck?

"Cultural History" is simply what is popular a long time ago. The only thing that makes them important is that they are OLD, not that they are somehow more serious.

Pop novels are as much part of culture as anything else. And anything that became the Past become History. To say that a novel can't become cultural history would be ignoring the likes of Dante's Inferno. THAT was pop fiction of its time. Yet, part of cultural history anyway.

Dante's Inferno: A completely made up description of hell, with artificial mythology and references to people Dante hate. Now taken half seriously because of how old it is.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 18:12   Link #289
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
So you think there was some deep and complex significance that the Tama was added to the royal treasures? Or more likely, somebody liked the number 3 and decided to add it in sometime on a whim and it stuck?
Are you implying that was added on a whim? oh wait you are saying it

From what I gather, the item magatama only became a significant religious item later on. Before this, it was only regarded as a decoration. The adding of tama inside the royal treasure could indicate that cultural shift. I can't know for certain without asking an expert, but I can guarantee that it was never for shit and giggles.
__________________

Last edited by erneiz_hyde; 2013-01-31 at 18:40.
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 02:03   Link #290
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
On a different matter, I noticed that this franchise does not pull punches. There is no "magical field" to isolate the property damage, no clear signs that people who fought the Yagami sisters actually survived the encounter.

People who want to challenge gods to obtain power, risk their lives. And as such when they lose, they die like the mortals they are.

Property damage equivalent to the London City bombing occurred in ep 4. No doubt hundreds if not thousands of innocent people died. But in the end that's what happens when you fight a war against forces who are out of your league.

Not that the show focused on the deaths. The show just doesn't pretend there wasn't any casualties. That people die all the time, and that the Yagami sisters are used to it.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 18:50   Link #291
DorkingtonPugsly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My cozy room
Very good episode. I felt drawn in and attentive to what was going on. I think I got used to the over the top story. I also liked the anti piracy ad camera guy reference.
__________________
DorkingtonPugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 23:38   Link #292
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Spoiler for ep4:
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 01:24   Link #293
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
You expect a bunch of mortal men to stand up to three deities?

This is not a battle manga. There is no "fair fight" concerning gods. You either win spectacularly or lose horribly.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 05:19   Link #294
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
4

despite the craziness. somehow i understand everything
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 08:53   Link #295
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Pfft. Now that's what I'm talking about. Moreso than plot or animation, SHAFT's quirky rhythm was out in full force this episode, making it the best one so far. I'd be able to really enjoy this series if it keeps up that absurd/lighthearted sensibility.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 30/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 80/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 11:33   Link #296
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
I enjoyed this episode a lot. It was full of the quirkiness I love. I was also quite pleased with Kagami's screentime. Funya~
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 17:25   Link #297
Xion Valkyrie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
This definitely was the best episode yet. Really good pacing, a lot of pretty funny gags (the UFO one was especially well done, especially how it came together with the plot at the end).

I hope this isn't the last we see of Sarcoma though, there could really be some potential there for her to just turn into 'Meat'.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 18:46   Link #298
00Coyote
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Can you imagine the awkward introductions if Sarcoma would have kept her Sasami form?

Hi ladies, are you two tired? Because you've been ru... oh wow, are you twins?
Hey Hey Hey, don't turn away! I'm just trying to have a nice conversation with you.

So? What do you want?

Are you girls twins? Like IDENTICAL twins? That's so hot.

We're not twins.

Eh? But you look identical!

Such a pain, I'm the only daughter of a long line of incestuous fanatical shinto sect that hide in the mountains, and she is a false spirit my family implanted inside me after they drugged me, in order to control the power of a divine god. She was freed from my body after my cross-dressing idol head priest father thrust a sword through my 3rd arm and into my heart. She took my form during a battle between my crazed family's shrine warriors, government special forces, some aliens and 3 goddesses. We can't be apart, so we live together.

I... see. I'm very sorry for asking such a question.

It was such a bother to say all that, you better appreciate it.

Please forgive me.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 19:06   Link #299
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
One might think being turned into a bunny is a downgrade.

But if you think about it, animal pets of gods tend to become eternal companions of said deities. The show didn't go into details, but I believe when Tsurugi said she would do miracles once in a while, she meant ascending the bunny into a weak god. I can't help but see that Niku-chan has become Kagami's animal mascot.

(Especially since in the OP images, when they showed the characters being invisible except for their iconic item, Kagami is actually represented by Niku-chan.)
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 21:12   Link #300
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portugal
Age: 28
Was loving the episode until it got to the UFO scene... at that point I had the distinct impression I was watching a completely different show. Needless to say, I was pretty oblivious to whatever meaning that scene's supposed to have!
Yet, and all things considered, this was a pretty good episode. Looking forward to more.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fantasy, romantic comedy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.