AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-04, 13:11   Link #1
AnimeFan188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Thunderbirds (2015)

"Good news today for people of a certain age (okay, and children too): there's
going to be a new series of 'Thunderbirds' produced for UK channel ITV.

Gerry Anderson's tales from Tracy Island are to be given a new-generation, CGI
spin by ITV, Pukeko Pictures and Weta Workshop, according to a news release
from the channel issued on 4 February. The first of 26 new 30min episodes will be
aired during 2015, under the name 'Thunderbirds are go!'"

See:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/th...2015-re-l.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 15:41   Link #2
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
Thundercats needed a snack.
__________________
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 15:53   Link #3
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Weta does good work. A pity Anderson is no longer around to supervise.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 18:54   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
So...no more puppet characters? CGI all the way?

I've seen the original puppet show a looong time ago when I was still a kid. It really impressed at the time. Then, years later, I watched the puppet sex scene in Team America . Thanx to that, I'll never see Thunderbirds characters in the same light again . Team America, what have you done to me?
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 19:25   Link #5
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
So...no more puppet characters? CGI all the way?

I've seen the original puppet show a looong time ago when I was still a kid. It really impressed at the time. Then, years later, I watched the puppet sex scene in Team America . Thanx to that, I'll never see Thunderbirds characters in the same light again . Team America, what have you done to me?
Anderson never liked the puppets anyway. He only used them to save money, and jumped right into liveaction as soon as he was famous. Was he to be born in the the modern day he would have used CGI animation.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 19:28   Link #6
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Thunderbirds Argo? Is that the Thunderbirds version of Argo?

Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 19:32   Link #7
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
I sometimes wonder... If we really get started on civilian space travel, at some we are going to need a full time emergency response team who use spaceships. It would be hard to not call them Thunderbirds if that's the case.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 19:40   Link #8
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Neverlands
Age: 37
THAT'S IT!!!

I'm never shoving another penny towards the bloody, creatively-bankrupt, overpaid f'ups in hollywood unless it guarantees me -in writing- sex afterwards

CGI Thunderbirds? You've got to be bloody kidding me?
Making movies was an art, making Thunderbirds was a friggin CRAFT!
(NO! Don't get me started on the live action film, ...No Really, Do. Not. go there)

Even 32 years after first seeing the show, I am still amazed how well the animatronics and special FX were used
it's the reason thunderbirds have never been forgotten
__________________
NightbatŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 19:44   Link #9
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
The people who used to do puppetry have now all moved to the CGI field. This is just the way the cookie crumbles.

There will never be another puppetry Thunderbirds. Even if we resurrect Anderson, he would have refused to make another series.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 20:07   Link #10
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
(NO! Don't get me started on the live action film, ...No Really, Do. Not. go there)
Yeah, that movie was silly.

The funny thing is, the one bit that I remember out of that LA Thunderbirds is an emergency report saying that "There's a volcano eruption in Jakarta." among other things. I mean, a volcano eruption? In my capital city?? Somebody clearly didn't do a little research when they make that movie.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 20:07   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
To me, half the fascination was watching them do such marvelous things with *puppets* - CGIing the presentation? meh.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 20:32   Link #12
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
To me, half the fascination was watching them do such marvelous things with *puppets* - CGIing the presentation? meh.
I understand. It is like watching a blacksmith forging a sword. The skills required to do things the old fashioned way is fascinating.

But that wasn't true Thunderbirds. It didn't use puppetry because it was art; it was puppetry because there was no money for special effects. Retro has its charms, but it would be a mistake to think of Thunderbirds as a Retro TV series. It was cutting edge for its time.
A new Thunderbirds cannot, and should not, evoke nostalgia. A new Thunderbirds should be futuristic, like it should be. Like the Thunderbirds anime I used to love so much.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 21:05   Link #13
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
The new Thunderbirds looks interesting.
Wish they'd redo/update the old anime version.




Wasn't half bad of a show either.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 21:42   Link #14
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
Will probably still watch this since I like Thunderbirds, but dang I was hoping for some puppet work. One can only imagine how improved the puppetry would've been today with a modern touch.

Heck they could've had Jim Henson's Creature Shop do the work, heh.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 00:15   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I understand. It is like watching a blacksmith forging a sword. The skills required to do things the old fashioned way is fascinating.

But that wasn't true Thunderbirds. It didn't use puppetry because it was art; it was puppetry because there was no money for special effects. Retro has its charms, but it would be a mistake to think of Thunderbirds as a Retro TV series. It was cutting edge for its time.
A new Thunderbirds cannot, and should not, evoke nostalgia. A new Thunderbirds should be futuristic, like it should be. Like the Thunderbirds anime I used to love so much.
Actually, I had no idea there ever existed a "cartoon/anime" Thunderbirds. You're right, of course about the puppetry - but that really was what fascinated *me* back in the 1960/70s when I watched it. Puppets smoking, drinking, what-seemed-like-adult-plots.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 00:26   Link #16
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You're right, of course about the puppetry - but that really was what fascinated *me* back in the 1960/70s when I watched it. Puppets smoking, drinking, what-seemed-like-adult-plots.
Were you fascinated watching Team America's puppets doing whatever they do? If you haven't watched it, go for it, now! I think that movie was a nod to Thunderbirds since they use similar puppets (but I could be wrong). As for me, I got traumatized by one particular scene I already mentioned in my post above .
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 03:43   Link #17
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: brunei darusalam
Age: 24
Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
The new Thunderbirds looks interesting.
Wish they'd redo/update the old anime version.




Wasn't half bad of a show either.
wait, isn't that anime DOES NOT had to do with the Thunderbirds series? if you looked at the original japanese title?
__________________
TRANSFORMERS
MACHINE ROBO
DIAROBO
GYROZETTER
DRAGUN H.E.X. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 03:57   Link #18
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
wait, isn't that anime DOES NOT had to do with the Thunderbirds series? if you looked at the original japanese title?
It's clearly made with Thunderbirds in mind. They probably wanted to rip it off without paying royalties.

And then the Western release had the sound effects of Anderson shows dubbed in and the Thunderbird name added. Frankly it's a case where the Western dub is probably more authentic than the Japanese original.
__________________

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2013-02-05 at 05:09.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 04:26   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Were you fascinated watching Team America's puppets doing whatever they do? If you haven't watched it, go for it, now! I think that movie was a nod to Thunderbirds since they use similar puppets (but I could be wrong). As for me, I got traumatized by one particular scene I already mentioned in my post above .
Oh, it was TOTALLY an homage to the old Thunderbirds and the other puppet series produced back then. The makers of Team America almost have to be my age or have tripped across those old British series.

Smoking, drinking, flirting, sexy puppets. It was great.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 04:28   Link #20
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Will they use the classic machines for this series? While TB no.2 is fans-favorite, I remember back then my favorite was that rocket thing that came out of swimming pool. It's TB no.1 if I'm not mistaken.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.