AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-03, 22:36   Link #461
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Except Kayaba technically beat Kirito in their 1st fight .
Is that with his invincibility flag OFF? If so, cool. Either way, I don't consider technical win a win. It's either you win, lose, or make a draw. In that case, I consider a battle a draw if no side has been clearly beaten to the ground.

I get it if he wins the second time in decisive (but definitely NOT anticlimactic and ass-pull-tastic) fashion, since he would already know how to counter the opponent's moves after losing the first time. But one-shotting or beating them in over-the-top fashion that second time? Come on.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 23:09   Link #462
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
I don't like overpowered characters who win their fights too easily (i.e. in anticlimatic fashion), whether by themselves, with help from friends (and rivals)
I don't see what's wrong with a character's friends helping him win a fight? That makes him less powerful if he can only win by teamwork-which does happen in SAO from time to time. Kirito needed Asuna's and the Army's help (AND THE ADMIN'S) to defeat Skull Reaper and he needed his sister's and her friend's help to get to the door of the World Tree. He tried to clear the Tree by himself and failed miserably. As ffor Skull Reaper
Spoiler for novel and anime:
__________________

Last edited by Chiibi; 2013-02-03 at 23:20.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 23:21   Link #463
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Of course there's nothing wrong with it. I only have issues with it if it results in winning the battle TOO easily. And I mean by too easily, you don't even WANT to know how it's won, it's so clear that it's won before it happens that you don't even care HOW it's won.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 01:03   Link #464
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Of course there's nothing wrong with it. I only have issues with it if it results in winning the battle TOO easily. And I mean by too easily, you don't even WANT to know how it's won, it's so clear that it's won before it happens that you don't even care HOW it's won.
What is the point of watching any fight if you know the main character is going to win?
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 01:08   Link #465
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
To know HOW to main character is going to win, or IF he is going to win against an overpowered opponent. I'm left with my head scratching if all it takes to beat EVERY opponent, including the FREAKING FINAL BOSS is one hit (and I mean "one hit", screw tactics and just strike him right away), especially if the MC is just pretending to lose from the start.

So, basically, uninteresting battles is what I don't like about some anime. As in I'm no longer interested to watch them because "the overpowered MC is going to win it by pulling something out of his ass in anticlimactic fashion".

Although Touma usually has only one tactic - cancel powers with his right hand, and then fist to face - at least he's very good at it. Kirito dual-wielding swords looks like a guy randomly swinging them around to me.

Last edited by judasmartel; 2013-02-04 at 01:20.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 09:09   Link #466
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 26
I'd like to say time travel, but it's not so common in anime that I could call it a cliche. And sometimes it's done pretty well.
__________________
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 13:30   Link #467
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
To know HOW to main character is going to win, or IF he is going to win against an overpowered opponent. I'm left with my head scratching if all it takes to beat EVERY opponent, including the FREAKING FINAL BOSS is one hit (and I mean "one hit", screw tactics and just strike him right away), especially if the MC is just pretending to lose from the start.

So, basically, uninteresting battles is what I don't like about some anime. As in I'm no longer interested to watch them because "the overpowered MC is going to win it by pulling something out of his ass in anticlimactic fashion".

Although Touma usually has only one tactic - cancel powers with his right hand, and then fist to face - at least he's very good at it. Kirito dual-wielding swords looks like a guy randomly swinging them around to me.
Which actually makes the experience even worse. OP characters are OP not just because you know that the are going to win but because they out of all the characters in the story are the only characters that can win. You don't need to one hit KO opponents to be OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I'd like to say time travel, but it's not so common in anime that I could call it a cliche. And sometimes it's done pretty well.
For example Steins Gate.
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 20:50   Link #468
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Well, I'll do some soul-searching for the meantime. But as far as I am concerned, I don't like OP characters. I like characters who earn their wins in the hardest way possible.

------------------

SO, dislike might be a strong word but, I used to dislike it when males are your designated melee fighters and the females your designated archers and magicians. Although nowadays it has been inverted and double-inverted to hell and back (Negi Springfield started off as a pure mage, but became a battle mage later on; FSN's Saber ofc is one of the most popular female melee fighters in history), I see a variation of this in magical girl shows.

Tomboyish girls tend to be the melee fighters while the girly girls tend to be the archers and magicians. Unless of course she's the main character, who's often a magic knight compared to the others.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 21:34   Link #469
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Well, I'll do some soul-searching for the meantime. But as far as I am concerned, I don't like OP characters. I like characters who earn their wins in the hardest way possible.

------------------

SO, dislike might be a strong word but, I used to dislike it when males are your designated melee fighters and the females your designated archers and magicians. Although nowadays it has been inverted and double-inverted to hell and back (Negi Springfield started off as a pure mage, but became a battle mage later on; FSN's Saber ofc is one of the most popular female melee fighters in history), I see a variation of this in magical girl shows.

Tomboyish girls tend to be the melee fighters while the girly girls tend to be the archers and magicians. Unless of course she's the main character, who's often a magic knight compared to the others.
Yea, I wonder why girls being the archers is a thing? Especially princesses being good archers. Is archery easier than melee? (I've done archery before but never to the level of combat)
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 21:46   Link #470
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
^ That's because of the media taboo of depicting girls getting hit in melee. Although it has died down a bit nowadays, it is still possible to see fragments of it in some shows.

Spoiler for OT:

Last edited by judasmartel; 2013-02-04 at 21:57.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 14:23   Link #471
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Yea, I wonder why girls being the archers is a thing? Especially princesses being good archers. Is archery easier than melee? (I've done archery before but never to the level of combat)
I'd say in anime and such anyways, it's probably in part due to the shrine maidens being traditionally trained in archery if any form of combat. I am sure you can think of plenty of series with that .
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar by Auxilism
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 14:40   Link #472
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I'd say in anime and such anyways, it's probably in part due to the shrine maidens being traditionally trained in archery if any form of combat. I am sure you can think of plenty of series with that .
Wow, that is an interesting bit of information! Thank you

I don't know any anime with archers though, except Madoka but that's not a display of "girls should be archers/magicians" so that doesn't count. I know a lot of Japanese games with female archers though.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 15:03   Link #473
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Archery is considered a feminine art in some places.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 15:55   Link #474
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
What I hate about (anime) forums: the shortcut "OP".

OP - One Piece
OP - opening post
OP - opening poster
OP - overpowered
OP - operation
OP - opening song
__________________

Last edited by GreyZone; 2013-02-05 at 19:11. Reason: expanded list, thx to Kudryavka
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 17:52   Link #475
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
What I hate about (anime) forums: the shortcut "OP".

OP - One Piece
OP - opening post
OP - opening poster
OP - overpowered
OP - operation
Don't forget OP - opening song

Speaking of which, who came up with idea to call ending themes EDs? Not ENDs or ENs, but EDs.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 19:21   Link #476
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Don't forget OP - opening song

Speaking of which, who came up with idea to call ending themes EDs? Not ENDs or ENs, but EDs.
Thx, added it to the list.


To answer your question:
from dictionary.com (left: written pronunciation; right in []: spoken pronunciation):

o·pen·ing [oh-puh-ning]

end·ing [en-ding]

it makes sense that in the INTERNET short cuts could be created with the spoken pronunciation in mind, while mostly ignoring the "grammatical" one.
However this is just my guess. It could have a completly different reason.
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 20:04   Link #477
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Because:

EN = English (language), so you can't use that to abbreviate ENding because some morons might mistake it for "ENglish song" instead of "ENding song".
END = ENDing, but it's too long and doesn't match the abbreviation for OPening.
ED = EnDing, doesn't make sense but it's shorter and it matches the abbreviation OP (OPening)
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 04:46   Link #478
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Branching off of the topic of overpowered and invincible characters, I found a great one tonight.

Characters who seem to exist purely to fill a support role. Tonight I finished an anime where the MC was a focal point of the first season, and he was hinted at (and shown) as having some sort of power that was relevant to the plot of the series. Really, really relevant. For the rest of the series, save for the three-ish times he used his power (each time in a different way), he NEVER used any power again. His character was written off as a supporting character that ran around complaining about the situation and helping keep his friends' morale compass intact. It got even worse when the MC in question, despite the things he had done that completely astounded his friends, was mocked towards the end as having merely been along for the ride. Really?

I realized that I've seen this before many times, and it really frustrated me. So many good characters get placed into that support role, and are never allowed to do anything but be helpful, or even sometimes not helpful at all and all they do is run around complaining to the enemy. There's always the chorus of, "this is wrong!" and, "you shouldn't be fighting us!" but what we're hearing is "I'm a worthless character now until I'm given relevance to the plot!" Sometimes we get lucky and those characters who never got to be useful are given some power that adds them into the current plot, but more often than not they're just as useful within as they were on the sidelines.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 20:14   Link #479
amaterasu4
CAUSE I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Shame Car
Overpowered characters are not only in terms of strength but also brain. I mean Light Yagami and Lelouch from Death Note and Code Geass, respectively, are all the time playing with the others using certain plans.

A cliche that bothers me is the overuse of love triangles and chick magnets. I think it's just a cheap way to make drama and introduce supporting characters. Almost as if the friendship between a male and a female is impossible in fiction. In Martian Successor Nadesico this cliche is overused to the point that the male supporting characters and even the announcer can't believe why is the protagonist such a chick magnet. About 10 girls fall for him in 24 episodes! The girl who he ended had almost no chemistry alongside the series and they never bothered to focus on the main character's feelings or how to develop the actual couple. The only thing that they say is that they were childhood friends so it is okay for them to end together. The show might be a mecha anime but it focuses a lot in the characters' romantical interests. Oops, sorry for making it this long.
amaterasu4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 22:21   Link #480
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
The girl who he ended had almost no chemistry alongside the series and they never bothered to focus on the main character's feelings or how to develop the actual couple. The only thing that they say is that they were childhood friends so it is okay for them to end together. The show might be a mecha anime but it focuses a lot in the characters' romantical interests. Oops, sorry for making it this long.
Er....I don't quite agree. Yurika loved Akito like crazy since episode 1 and she was the only girl among the others who seemed to genuinely love him and she was the only girl he was shown to like back, at least a little. I was not surprised at all that they ended up together by the end. I was expecting it, actually.
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.