AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-05, 01:10   Link #1
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
One Piece - Chapter 698 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.




Guess what, guys.... EARLY SPOILERS ARE OUT!!! Credit goes to the guys over at AP for providing said spoilers:



-Chapter title is "Doflamingo appears". The ministory has the old lady seeing off Caribou once again at the port.


-The weakness behind Caesar's Shinokuni gas is revealed: After being petrified, it takes half a day before the poison kills its victim. However, if said victims are freed from the gas shells before then, they can be saved. Armed with this knowledge, Smoker gives Brownbeard permission to go rescue his men as long as he returns to get his sentence carried.


-We see the headless bodies of Baby 5 and Buffalo in the marines' possession. However, the duo's heads suddenly come flying back to their bodies! Doflamingo then appears as well, knocking out marines as he flies past them. It's revealed that he's doing this using Conqueror's Haki. The marines are confused by the warlord's sudden appearance, and prepare to fight. However, Dofla takes them out with his strings. Smoker enters the fray as well, and Dofla asks him about the whereabouts of Luffy and Law. Naturally the VA tells him he doesn't know, but tells him he knows about Vergo, as well as the true identity of the warlord. At this point Dofla assaults the vice-admiral.....


-Meanwhile, we see Law on the Sunny with the Straw-Hats. Franky explains to Brooke how he recovered the mini-Merry from the lab's waterways, and Nami reveals to Luffy their next destination: Dressrosa. It also turns out that Kinemon has business at Dressrosa as well! After Law tells Luffy that he was talking to Doflamingo on the denden mushi, he tells him that his plan is now underway.....


-The remaining Straw-Hats who were kept in the dark about the alliance finally learn of it. Zoro in particular is excited by the idea of taking down an emperor. Sanji just gives Law a similar warning as Usopp did about Luffy having a different idea about what sort of alliance they'll have. Caesar, who's in their custody, threatens them, but he gets beaten up. Law explains how there are many powerful pirates in the underworld who have their own territory in the New World, and that a single pirate crew alone wouldn't be enough to oppose them. Dofla is the most powerful of those underground pirates, with Kaidou being his biggest client (interestingly, it seems the samurai are familiar with Kaidou's name). Law further explains that weakening Kaidou's forces is the key to toppling him. Thanks to the artificial Smile fruits, he has over FIVE HUNDRED DF users in his army! It also turns out that Caesar used Vegapunk's "Lineage Factor" to create the Smiles. However, they're now on their way to Dressrosa in order to destroy the main Smile factory. Kinemon then reveals that a comrade of his is being held at that island as well, and will join with the pirates to rescue that person...!!!


-Dofla has Smoker beaten, and apparently tells him that he'll find Law and the Straw-Hats before the day is over. He also threatens to kill all of the present marines, as well. However, he's interrupted by a familiar face:


Spoiler:




AO-F***ING KIJI!!! The former admiral tells the warlord to get off his old friend, Smoker....!!!!!!




Epic. Epic. EPIC. This chapter was a treasure trove of information. But at least now we've got confirmation of the next arc now: Dressrosa. There's so many more things I'd like to say, but I think I'll wait until the full release is out for now. BTW, all of you Aokiji people just got lucky.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 01:16   Link #2
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Isn't it the Kuzan fans who are lucky. .

Seems like a fun chapter. DoFlamingo so easily handling everyone was a treat, and the continued exploration King's Haki is always interesting.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 01:18   Link #3
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
we now know who was floating on the raft.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 01:21   Link #4
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Raftel
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE Send a message via Skype™ to SOGESNAKE
Now comes the interesting part.... will Dofla try and fight the former Admiral, or flee~?
__________________
SOGESNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 01:22   Link #5
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
A little bonus:




Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige
Chopper: (sparkly eyes) Ww you made those devil fruits? SAD is awesome!
CC blushes
Usopp: WIL YOU STOP COMPLIMENTING HIM!?


Also, I like how this is like the fourth shichibukai in a row who screwed over Smoker.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 03:42   Link #6
SMASHERJACKSON
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
AP translation already has me hyped cant wait for the full release.

I do wonder who would win in a fight of aokiji vs dofla, I guess it'll be a matter of haki since dofla owned smoker so easily, guy is a beast.

Also i wonder why law told smoker about where hes going, im guessing it was to throw off dofla.

Wonder what kuzan has been up to and what hes going to do after the fight with dofla.

I guess we go to dressrosa before wano, and I wonder if dofla really will find them so soon - should be interesting.
SMASHERJACKSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 04:01   Link #7
SMASHERJACKSON
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
just noticed dofla's unique laugh "fufufufufu"

I guess the will of D is for donquoxite?

Gol Donquoxite Roger

Also there has to be an eventual showdown with DD so i dont think kuzan and him will go all out here, either a brief skirmish but a withdrawal/escape by DD one way or another

either way DD is rly screwed now, he wont be able to stay in his position as warlord or keep his smiles

Last edited by SMASHERJACKSON; 2013-02-05 at 04:26.
SMASHERJACKSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 05:32   Link #8
mrShady
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NL
Chapter is out... panda release so a bit iffy on the translation side, still cool as hell.
Joker is also a whole lot stronger then his subordinates.
Also a lot of info for the new arc.
There's a break next week though.
Pretty good week so far there's even a somewhat proper Naruto chapter.
mrShady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 05:38   Link #9
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orange Road
Age: 24
kinda sad for smoker, he just gets beaten up one after another...
__________________
articuzwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 06:05   Link #10
paradox13
zzz
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Smoker needs to stop getting raped.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
paradox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 06:29   Link #11
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 22
Doflamingo in rampage mode... poor Smo-yan!

quite enjoyable to see so many new people on Sunny right now...
Caesar is also a funny person

no one expect Aokiji will appear to save Smoker...

and no chapter next week?! talking about cliffhanger... sigh... you got us all, Oda... now we're dying to know what will happen
__________________

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 07:04   Link #12
The Small One
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Germany
Well, Aokiji wasn't much of a surprise. He would probably be the only one to fall asleep while travelling alone.

What's with this "Lineage Factor", was this mentioned before?

Great chapter.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 07:16   Link #13
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Oh shit, Kuzan (he's not an admiral so I'll start calling him Kuzan) is PISSED...Dofla's gonna get raped xD

This chapter was really something, lot's of juicy exposition and...we now know that not even Smoker stands a chance against Donfla.

Also, I thought Kinemon and his kid went with the other children, good thing I was wrong and they are sticking around for a bit. Though I wonder about their reaction to the mention of Kaidou...I'm guessing Wano is part of Kaidou's territory or something.
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 07:41   Link #14
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
we now know who was floating on the raft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Well, Aokiji wasn't much of a surprise. He would probably be the only one to fall asleep while travelling alone.

What's with this "Lineage Factor", was this mentioned before?

Great chapter.
It's because the best way to recognize him would be his bike... but since he's not riding it anymore...

Doflamingo doesn't really stand a chance against Kuzan (former Admiral vs Shichibukai...)
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 08:59   Link #15
'Pryde
I am better than you
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
LOL, What's with Doflamingo and sitting on people...I dont think Doflamingo has a chance of winning but, he wont lose because with Aokiji's powers losing would mean death. So, Dofla will probably escape.
'Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 09:10   Link #16
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Doflamingo doesn't really stand a chance against Kuzan (former Admiral vs Shichibukai...)
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Doflamingo just easily beat the crap out of VA Smoker; someone that can pull off such a feat so casually will probably be problematic for an admiral. Do I think birdman can beat Kuzan? No, I don't. However, this latest chapter hyped up Doflamingo even more, which makes up for the previous chapters of him being made a fool by Law. This guy is a freakin' beast. Luffy and Law shouldn't be able to beat Dofla one-on-one after his performance against Smoker. Perhaps a tag-team will be required to take him down.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 09:43   Link #17
andy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Doflamingo just easily beat the crap out of VA Smoker; someone that can pull off such a feat so casually will probably be problematic for an admiral. Do I think birdman can beat Kuzan? No, I don't. However, this latest chapter hyped up Doflamingo even more, which makes up for the previous chapters of him being made a fool by Law. This guy is a freakin' beast. Luffy and Law shouldn't be able to beat Dofla one-on-one after his performance against Smoker. Perhaps a tag-team will be required to take him down.
I don't see why Luffy should not be able to beat Doflamingo one on one .
In fact we don't even know how strong Luffy really is since his fights have been push overs .
Smoker get his ass kick off panel and face was bloody but he got his ass kick by Law just few chapters ago .
Only with law we saw the fight and he knock out smoker instead of trying to kill him , it was also a short fight .
While Doflamingo beating the crap out of smoker is hype , after the beating he took this arc already it don't seem like that big of a deal even if he is a VA.

I don't expect kuzan to really fight him next chapter .
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 10:36   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Wiping the floor with Smoker is becoming the official sport of Punk Hazard. The poor guy just can't catch a break. That's three times in a day he's gotten the crap beaten out of him. It keeps getting harder to see him as a worthy rival to Luffy.

Not too surprised Dofla has the conqueror's haki. I expect all the big players to have it, and obviously, he is one.

The strawhats are headed for Dressrosa. I thought they would stop by Wano first. So Kinemon has another person he wants to rescue... interesting. I wonder how that samurai ended up being Dofla's prisoner.

The end of the chapter was amazing, which will make the wait for the next chapter all the more painful. What do breaks always happen at the worst possible times?
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 10:46   Link #19
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
kinda sad for smoker, he just gets beaten up one after another...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Smoker needs to stop getting raped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
Doflamingo in rampage mode... poor Smo-yan!

You know, at this point I'm about 105% convinced: If Buggy is OP's Mr. Satan, then Smoker is most definitely its Yamcha.


Anyhow, SERIOUS SPECULATION TIME:


To be honest, I've been pretty hesitant about bringing up this theory for a while because it's one I've seen pop up every now and then over the years with very little (if any) evidence to back it up. But now I feel there's enough ground to stand on to ask the big question: Is Doflamingo part of the "D" clan?


Now again, this is an idea that I originally thought ridiculous myself, but the recent chapters have started to make me think otherwise. I mean, apparently Dofla is being treated as if he were someone of royal or noble lineage, what with some of his own crew referring to him as "young master" and whatnot. The next clue was what Vergo had told Law about how he "knew nothing of Joker's past", which could imply that there's a more complex history behind the warlord than initially expected. The clincher for me is the fact that he can use conqueror's haki.... which very few people are capable of using. And remember, Monet even said that she wanted Dofla to become Pirate King..... which would require someone with a "king's disposition", I believe.



So with all that being said, what if Dofla's actual name wasn't "Donquixote Doflamingo", but rather Donquixote D. Flamingo? He could have slightly altered his name for the public's eyes in a similar sense as to how "Gol D. Roger" became known as "Gold Roger". Again, this whole theory could be entirely wrong, but at least there's enough grounds to actually make it plausible.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 11:47   Link #20
Battler-kun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Doflamingo is crazy, but he is not as crazy enough to think he could stand a good chance against someone like Aokiji.

He pissed his pants knowing that he can't deliver any more supplies to Kaidou.

He will flee, Aokiji don't pursue him anyways, because he wouldn't do that probably even if he still was Marine, lazy guy.

Doflamingo will think and then will grasp the plan of Law and head back home.

There we will see a fight between Doflamingo and Luffy&Law.
I don't see either Law or Luffy having a chance against Doflamingo, but working together it should do the job.
Battler-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.