AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 57 53.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 33.64%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 7.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.93%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-08, 22:44   Link #121
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
How was Akane a damsel in distress in this episode? She got shot in the thigh with a nailgun, then sucked it up and told Kougami to go ahead while she bandaged up.

Also. I think people are underestimating the utility of surprise blunt trauma from behind.
Akane is not now, nor has she ever been a damsel in distress. She fulfills the role that she is placed in. The same is true of her partner, who also tends to stay back and let his enforcers do the work. That's what they're encouraged to do, because they are not expendable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
She's covered in this "needs to be protected" light by the story; the fact none of the characters can say "don't come, it's too dangerous" because of circumstances (enforces because they would be suspect; Nobu because he's her colleague) doesn't really help get it off. She's also portrayed as an airhead a few times. I understand why (they whole representing the onlookers and whatnot), but they could give her some badass moments that don't involve cheap attacks. They did it in Ep1 with the whole railgun to the spine, there should have been a tad more, since from then to now she's only been carried by the story or dragged by other characters (such as the case in the robot factory).
I agree and disagree. I agree that she carried a "need to be protected" in the eyes of her colleagues. However, so does her partner (Nobu?). He's shown many times as being off in the distance letting his enforcers do most of the work. In actuality, Akane sees just as much action as her own enforcers because she constantly follows them into battle despite her inexperience and her position. She's not supposed to be putting herself in danger, but she does it anyhow.

She has yet to really push her way into the spotlight much, and has operated primarily as an observer. I wont argue that. However she has had her moments, and it does make sense when you consider that she's learning. She's not an expert, and that's why she looks to Ko for guidance. I would find it unrealistic if she was as active as Ko is.

I maintain that at no point have I ever felt that she is a damsel. She's a rookie "officer," to put it best.
Quote:
I don't know maybe because swinging a helmet is essentially just swinging your hands in the air I don't find all too "exiting." She would have had to kick him in the groin and headbutt him (then hit him with the mask), or just punch/kick him down, for me to take it as an "awe inspiring heroic feat."
I agree that the scene was anticlimactic. However, that in itself was what made the scene perfect. They took advantage of the fact that she had been left behind, and didn't even hint prior to the scene happening that she would come in to save the day. Not only did the characters forget about Akane, but I suspect that most of the audience forgot. Plus, there's no world in which she would have been able to beat him in a fight, especially when Ko was unable to. A cheap shot was necessary.

Additionally, it was a really.Really good hit. For her only scene thus far where she gets to bludgeon someone, she did a damn good job.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 22:56   Link #122
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That's because Makishima isn't a zen martial artist. He's a thrill seeker who got distracted by something enticing. Thriller seekers can get extremely sloppy when they're getting worked up about something. He's got the technical skills, but I think his cool professionalism so far has had more to do with him being a discerning thrill seeker rather than him knowing how to regulate his emotions from distracting him.
Pretty much. This was the first time Makishima decided to kill someone himself for his own enjoyment (with Yuki it was to test Akane and prove a point, and with those three guys it was in self-defense) and as it turns out he was really itching for a worthy prey, because it blinded him to everything else, even an audible sneak attack by a non-trained fighter.

And that's exactly why it was a disappointing development to me, as it basically puts Makishima on the same level Senguuji, who also lost his usual cool and caution when faced with a worthwhile prey like Kougami and was thus brought down as an overly entranced thrill seeker.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 23:42   Link #123
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Akane is not now, nor has she ever been a damsel in distress. She fulfills the role that she is placed in. The same is true of her partner, who also tends to stay back and let his enforcers do the work. That's what they're encouraged to do, because they are not expendable.
That's also missing the fact that as a supervisor (which is what Inspectors ARE basically) Akane is better at this job than Gino. She's extremely prosocial, so even though she zapped Kougami her first day on the job, she came to recognize how valuable the Enforcers were, and trusted them enough to give them the freedom they needed to carry out a number of different investigations. What Gino derided as naivety turned into mutual trust. I certainly think Akane gained allot of their trust when she stood up for Kougami when there was a possibility he might have been making an escape attempt, then subsequently risking damaging her hue to help identify Makishima.

I honestly think the enforcers value a superior like Akane who trusts them over some hypothetical meat head commando.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
And that's exactly why it was a disappointing development to me, as it basically puts Makishima on the same level Senguuji, who also lost his usual cool and caution when faced with a worthwhile prey like Kougami and was thus brought down as an overly entranced thrill seeker.
But should this really be surprising?

I mean, Makishima has been fascinated in Kougami despite it being overwhelmingly obvious that Kougami is a professional murder hobo dedicating himself to killing Makishima. As much as Makishima would have liked chatting, it should have been REALLY obvious Kougami wasn't gonna indulge in philosophical navel gazing all night. Makishima knew from the start that his interest in Kougami was probably going to end with the hunting dog going right for his jugular...and I don't think he had any problem with that.


Anybody who expresses interest with being in the same room as an enraged hunting dog is probably to some degree or another a reckless thrill seeker. Cause an enraged hunting dog can't be dissuaded by curiosity or intellectual discourse. The only reason it's there is to kill you.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2013-02-09 at 00:13.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 00:33   Link #124
Hakuromatsu
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That's also missing the fact that as a supervisor (which is what Inspectors ARE basically) Akane is better at this job than Gino. She's extremely prosocial, so even though she zapped Kougami her first day on the job, she came to recognize how valuable the Enforcers were, and trusted them enough to give them the freedom they needed to carry out a number of different investigations. What Gino derided as naivety turned into mutual trust. I certainly think Akane gained allot of their trust when she stood up for Kougami when there was a possibility he might have been making an escape attempt, then subsequently risking damaging her hue to help identify Makishima.

I honestly think the enforcers value a superior like Akane who trusts them over some hypothetical meat head commando.
But should this really be surprising?
Yes, yes, yes.

I also love the story setting itself up for the dramatic irony of Akane taking down Sybil (or at least facilitating the takedown of Sybil), when Sybil itself deemed Akane "apt" for the job of Inspector.
Hakuromatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 00:44   Link #125
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
But should this really be surprising?
The implication that the main antagonist is basically no better than one of his pawns? Why yes, yes it is. For starters, it makes the conflict a lot less layered and a lot less interesting, which isn't usually the case with Urobuchi.

And Kougami's intent alone is not a good enough reason (be it on an in-universe or meta level) for their confrontation to amount to nothing more than a short brawl. In episode 11 Makishima had a showdown with Akane (which was a lot more interesting than this one in spite of the supposed main rivalry being between Kougami and Makishima) and the only reason Akane was there was also just to capture Makishima, but he still had something of substance to say and still managed to put her to the test in more interesting ways than just physically.

Now I'm not saying the exact same thing should have happened in his confrontation with Kougami, but would something more akin to his encounter with Akane have been preferable to a brief and brainless fistfight with a really anti-climatic ending? Yes, it would.

And don't tell me he couldn't afford to wax philosophy with a hunting dog like Kougami around. He kicked his ass (didn't get hit once, in fact) and immobilized him with ease, so there was nothing stopping him, really. If anything I would have expected that, as soon as he got done with Kougami, Makishima would look around and see if Kougami had any teammates with him that Makishima could use to further test and plunge him into a deeper abyss, etc.

But alas, as you said, the prospect of carving Kougami up like a turkey was stimulating enough for him. Which yes, I found surprising, as well as disappointing.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 01:44   Link #126
U. N. Owen
Realistic Idealist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: R'lyeh
Mahou Shoujo Akane Tsunemori

Ok, so I've been thinking... How was episode 16 a masterpiece (I'm assuming most of you are aware that Butch Gen called Episode 16 this)? In what way, exactly? And... I think I've got it.

It is a masterpiece... Of subversion. A magnificent troll! Possibly. I mean, everyone here is probably all on the same page, "obviously, the thing that wasn't showed on camera, Sibyl's core, is a network of criminally asymptomatic people". I mean, it's painfully obvious, what with all the dystopian Sci-Fi references, and the fact that this series draws a lot of inspiration from Blade Runner, GITS, and Minority Report. Right? What else could it be?

Hm...

How about something else entirely- something completely, 100% unique- never before seen in science fiction before, something that you would be able to look at and go "HOLY SHIT IT ALL MAKES SENSE".

That is how this could be a masterpiece- only, it won't be seen as one until the curtains are lifted.

Or, Butch Gen could have just taken many different science fiction concepts and formed an amalgamation of greatness from them, and his masterpiece is succeeding in making a series that truly starts in media res, then going back, and getting caught back up with a scene in perfect synchronicity that doesn't feel at all forced, unlike most every other one done like this that I've seen.

Oh well. Long as it's enjoyable to watch, I don't give a shit.

Speculah:
1.) Criminally Asymptotic people are androids/gynoids. It's interesting, Especially when you consider Kasei and Akane; if we go by Kasei's apparent age and Akane's actions as that of a "programmed gynoid", there's a possibility that Akane is intended to be the "replacement" for Kasei to continue the charade. I mean, Kasei can't exactly continue as the leader if she appears "old" but is still around, I don't believe.
2.) By the end of the series Akane and Shogo will end up as part of Sibyl's Core in an ending that is so depressing, it will just make you want to draw a hot bath and open up some veins.
3.) Something involving a Cosmic Horror Story. Because naming a cybernetic hunting dog Lovecraft just doesn't cut it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, to those complaining about how easily Maki owned Kou, keep in mind, the man went up against 3 other people before him, and by the time he confronted Maki, he was wounded, as opposed to Maki, who was in peak condition.

Well, I personally think that Maki would have owned Kou's ass regardless, but still, something to remember.

And talking about Maki loosing some character depth by taking pleasure in dominating in a physical confrontation? Don't all people delight in that? Granted, going giddy at the thought of carving the defeated up is a bit less common.
__________________
U. N. Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 01:53   Link #127
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That's also missing the fact that as a supervisor (which is what Inspectors ARE basically) Akane is better at this job than Gino. She's extremely prosocial, so even though she zapped Kougami her first day on the job, she came to recognize how valuable the Enforcers were, and trusted them enough to give them the freedom they needed to carry out a number of different investigations. What Gino derided as naivety turned into mutual trust. I certainly think Akane gained allot of their trust when she stood up for Kougami when there was a possibility he might have been making an escape attempt, then subsequently risking damaging her hue to help identify Makishima.

I honestly think the enforcers value a superior like Akane who trusts them over some hypothetical meat head commando.
But should this really be surprising?
Which is more or less what she should NOT be doing. Gino is only inferior to Akane in the realm of being really nice to her enforcers. The only reason she can even afford to do that without becoming one herself is her MC mental armor. She is an exception to a rule, and she is constantly regarded as such by people within the show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
The implication that the main antagonist is basically no better than one of his pawns? Why yes, yes it is. For starters, it makes the conflict a lot less layered and a lot less interesting, which isn't usually the case with Urobuchi.

And Kougami's intent alone is not a good enough reason (be it on an in-universe or meta level) for their confrontation to amount to nothing more than a short brawl. In episode 11 Makishima had a showdown with Akane (which was a lot more interesting than this one in spite of the supposed main rivalry being between Kougami and Makishima) and the only reason Akane was there was also just to capture Makishima, but he still had something of substance to say and still managed to put her to the test in more interesting ways than just physically.

Now I'm not saying the exact same thing should have happened in his confrontation with Kougami, but would something more akin to his encounter with Akane have been preferable to a brief and brainless fistfight with a really anti-climatic ending? Yes, it would.

And don't tell me he couldn't afford to wax philosophy with a hunting dog like Kougami around. He kicked his ass (didn't get hit once, in fact) and immobilized him with ease, so there was nothing stopping him, really. If anything I would have expected that, as soon as he got done with Kougami, Makishima would look around and see if Kougami had any teammates with him that Makishima could use to further test and plunge him into a deeper abyss, etc.

But alas, as you said, the prospect of carving Kougami up like a turkey was stimulating enough for him. Which yes, I found surprising, as well as disappointing.
I feel like a lot of people are disappointed in what happened with Makishima because they wanted something cool to happen. What we got was realism. Makishima doesn't have some kind of fancy clairvoyance or a-human fighting abilities. He's a really smart guy who can kick some ass and whose brain happens to beat the Sybil System. Getting hit in the back of the head with a blunt object is still very detrimental to his health.

We have the beautiful power of being the audience. We know everything, and they know what they know. Since Akane generally follows Ko wherever he goes whenever she can, it's rather strange that he would appear at the top of the tower without her beside him. As far as I know he had no way of knowing that she had accompanied him beyond predicting a likely outcome. As far as hearing her coming, by the time "we" hear her coming she's a good three or four steps out from her epic helmet swing. Makishima is a human being. He just finished a huge fight, he got overconfident, and he wasn't expecting Akane. It makes sense no matter what stick you shake at it.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 02:51   Link #128
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
I feel like a lot of people are disappointed in what happened with Makishima because they wanted something cool to happen.
If you're going to quote me, then address my actual points. Don't strawman me, please.

Quote:
What we got was realism.
Realism is perceived differently by different people. What you found to be realistic can simply appear to be out-of-character behavior in the eyes of others. And a more realistic outcome doesn't necessarily make for a better fictional work. One might consider Makishima and Kougami's confrontation in this episode to be more realistic than Makishima and Akane's confrontation in episode 11, but I'll still take the latter's thrilling events over the former's boring "realism" any day of the week.

Quote:
Makishima doesn't have a-human fighting abilities.
He doesn't? Then what do you call a skinny bookworm like him completely schooling a guy with twice his physique and who fights for a living? If you're going to talk about realism as if it should be the indisputable goal of any fictional work then that alone threw it out the window.

Quote:
He just finished a huge fight, he got overconfident, and he wasn't expecting Akane. It makes sense no matter what stick you shake at it.
Not entirely if you take their difference in physical ability into account, but ultimately it doesn't matter, because it being a believable outcome or not was never the reason for my disappointment (again, strawmanning). My problem with it is that what should have been the most enthralling and rewarding scene thus far was instead dull, vapid and a major anti-climax that wasted what appeared to be a much more interesting and complex antagonist (of course, this last part can still be redeemed depending on what happens to him from now on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by U. N. Owen View Post
And talking about Maki loosing some character depth by taking pleasure in dominating in a physical confrontation? Don't all people delight in that? Granted, going giddy at the thought of carving the defeated up is a bit less common.
In case you missed it, Makishima has been characterized as someone a tad different from "all people". And more importantly, up until now, he was shown to be someone uninterested in base physical stimulation, usually preferring to observe and test those around him and being generally more concerned with the meaning behind one's actions than the actions themselves. So yes, his behavior in this episode did cheapen his character somewhat, in my view.

Last edited by Vicious108; 2013-02-09 at 03:03.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 03:56   Link #129
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
If you're going to quote me, then address my actual points. Don't strawman me, please.
I wont even justify that with a response. I suggest you actually read what I write, instead of automatically attributing everything to yourself.
Quote:
Realism is perceived differently by different people. What you found to be realistic can simply appear to be out-of-character behavior in the eyes of others. And a more realistic outcome doesn't necessarily make for a better fictional work. One might consider Makishima and Kougami's confrontation in this episode to be more realistic than Makishima and Akane's confrontation in episode 11, but I'll still take the latter's thrilling events over the former's boring "realism" any day of the week.
Makishima has little to no pre-established character. What we've seen in this last episode is more in line with what has been shown than alternative explanations.
Quote:
He doesn't? Then what do you call a skinny bookworm like him completely schooling a guy with twice his physique and who fights for a living? If you're going to talk about realism as if it should be the indisputable goal of any fictional work then that alone threw it out the window.
He's not a bookworm stereotype. Just because you've never seen his training regiment or him with his shirt off it hardly indicates that he is weak.

In addition, almost all of Makishima's fighting involved countering and throwing Ko. The only real blows struck are the kicks to Ko's midsection half-way through. Because of this, Makishima obviously requires less physical strength to fight effectively against his opponent. Even with that having been said, there is no indication that he lacks strength.
Quote:
In case you missed it, Makishima has been characterized as someone a tad different from "all people". And more importantly, up until now, he was shown to be someone uninterested in base physical stimulation, usually preferring to observe and test those around him and being generally more concerned with the meaning behind one's actions than the actions themselves. So yes, his behavior in this episode did cheapen his character somewhat, in my view.
This is clearly not true when you consider his personal involvement with Akane, and him killing Yuki by himself. I would categorize his interests as being the potential of those he takes interest in. This seems evident due to him being "disappointed" that those who failed him did not provide him with the entertainment he desires. He wants to see them live up to the potential he seems in them, so that he can be entertained. If he had no interest in a persons' capabilities he wouldn't waste his time putting them in a position to achieve their goals. Whether or not you think the inevitable cheapened his character, well... do as you like.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 04:19   Link #130
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Makishima has little to no pre-established character. What we've seen in this last episode is more in line with what has been shown than alternative explanations.
First strawmanning and now empty rhetoric. Yeah, gonna pass on this one, sorry.

Quote:
This is clearly not true when you consider his personal involvement with Akane, and him killing Yuki by himself.
...Which isn't mutually exclusive with anything I said.

Quote:
do as you like.
Sure, it's what I do and let others do as well. It's easy when you realize your viewpoint isn't the one and only true interpretation.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 04:45   Link #131
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
In many ways, Kougami vs. Makishima is like another famous Gen-wrote anime feud: Kiritsugu Emiya vs. Kirei Kotomine from Fate/Zero.

Spoiler for Major Fate/Zero Spoilers:



On another thread, I wrote that Gen has a very good grasp on what's entertaining and what's not (in a "general audience" sense). Gen prizes consistent characterization, and will not sacrifice that purely for entertainment gain... but to the extent that he can have characters act in-character and in a very entertaining way, Gen will go for that.

I think that Gen realizes that people tend to love pitched one-on-one combat between two closely matched and ruthlessly fierce competitors. This is especially true if there's excellent buildup to the fight, and/or if the fight has an ideological/philosophical element to it. Kougami vs. Makishima, Kiritsugu vs. Kirei, even Sayaka vs. Kyouko (from Madoka Magica) are all like this.

Having two characters debate things out can certainly be interesting, and I think Gen gets intellectual appeal as well, but it was always clear to me that Gen wanted Kougami vs. Makishima to be his "next" Kiritsugu vs. Kirei. His next extensively setup climatic fight scene that would be a treat for the eyes and a stimulant to the emotions. Gen is one of a precious few anime writers today that I think gets what makes Hollywood action movies so appealing to many viewers, and has managed to incorporate that into anime narratives. If there was ever an anime equivalent to something like the Die Hard films, it would almost certainly be wrote by Gen.


To be fair to Makishima, I'm sure that if Kougami had chosen to debate him on the actions he was taking (or to talk on just about anything), Makishima would have been more than happy to oblige. But in Makishima's mind, if you can't have a riveting conversation with another interesting alpha male, the next best thing is to have a riveting duel with him.

As cultured, intelligent, and well-read as Makishima is, he's still very much a man. Defeating his latest (and best!) curiosity and target was no doubt thrilling to Makishima, just like an amateur wrestler would find it thrilling to defeat a strong and worthy adversary in order to win an Olympic Gold medal. After defeating Kougami, there's little doubt that Makishima felt "on top of the world". He was in an uniquely vulnerable state of mind to be taken unaware, and Akane seized the opportunity.

I wouldn't weigh it too much against Makishima, though I hope we get to see more of his intellectual side before the anime is over.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 04:53   Link #132
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
First strawmanning and now empty rhetoric. Yeah, gonna pass on this one, sorry.
There's no need to be rude. I haven't been attributing debate terms to your points where they don't apply. I expect you to have the courtesy to at least use the terms properly.

Quote:
... Which isn't mutually exclusive with anything I said.
Generally if you quote a post it's expected that you've read it.

Incidentally, and going back to some of the theories of the Sibyl System: My two best guesses are that the system uses either humans in some way, or is non-biological in nature.

In order for the "with this we wont even have to destroy it!" line to have been used like it was, it would have to be something that has a strikingly unethical appearance. This is generally associated with systems based off of whole humans, or human brains. Probably the latter. Of course it could be something entirely different, but this is what is most likely.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 04:55   Link #133
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
He's not a bookworm stereotype. Just because you've never seen his training regiment or him with his shirt off it hardly indicates that he is weak.

In addition, almost all of Makishima's fighting involved countering and throwing Ko. The only real blows struck are the kicks to Ko's midsection half-way through. Because of this, Makishima obviously requires less physical strength to fight effectively against his opponent. Even with that having been said, there is no indication that he lacks strength.

This is clearly not true when you consider his personal involvement with Akane, and him killing Yuki by himself. I would categorize his interests as being the potential of those he takes interest in. This seems evident due to him being "disappointed" that those who failed him did not provide him with the entertainment he desires. He wants to see them live up to the potential he seems in them, so that he can be entertained. If he had no interest in a persons' capabilities he wouldn't waste his time putting them in a position to achieve their goals. Whether or not you think the inevitable cheapened his character, well... do as you like.
I wholeheartedly agree. Kougami was wounded and tired, and we really don't know much about Makishima's physical conditioning. To say the least, the fight seemed believable to me. As for the arguably cheap characterization, even the devil was said to have a beautiful face; that didn't make him any less dangerous, which was a point Makishima made in the previous episode.

But I wouldn't characterize him as an entertainment seeker. As much as he wanted these fucked up individuals to reach a certain standard he set for them, which is obviously based on his own self worth and identity, he was perpetually learning from them and reflecting on himself. I'd say he was looking for a certain something he lacked.
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 06:28   Link #134
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
So Chief's a robocop... so that's why she manage to play with that rubix.

What will happen to the guy.. its says paralyze right? so he'll not be killed?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 06:33   Link #135
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Ok ok I've finally seen the episode. Lets break down some of the discussions here.

Makishima Acting Out Of Character
I have made the observation that different people have different gripes about him. Some find that his combat skills are very implausible. Others find that him getting all giddy when he gains the upper hand is out of character. Yet even others found it rather strange that he didn't "sense Akane's presence".

This is, of course, the inherent problem with a character who is inherently mysterious: People start to form images in their mind of "what he's supposed to be like" based on things they feel are true or think they have seen, when in fact, the author has something completely different in mind. This is not breaking character, this is just a character that turns out different from what you'd expect. If you feel like the author is obligated to live up to each and every one of your expectations, well that's up to you really.

Incidentally, my personal opinion is that his anticlimactic defeat is exactly what he deserved. Which leads me to:

Akane wasn't impressive enough
The argument "she had combat training" just doesn't really fly here. With the absence of other weapons that actually work, running up to the guy and hitting him over the head with the heaviest object you can find really is the most efficient course of action here. Reality is unrealistic, after all. The reason I bring that up is, well, if you were expecting something that isn't realistic, well then you are in fact, rather justified in your disappointment. You DO need to be honest about this, however.

The Sibyl system is hiding a dark secret
Most of us knew this would happen eventually. My opinion on the idea of a system that governs by monitoring people's mental health and determining a person's best professional path based on their personal merits remains unchanged. Responsibility for how society works also remains with society itself if you ask me. It's ok if any of you feel otherwise, I'm not really interested in debating that right now. I think I will save it for a later episode where I feel it will be more appropreate.

What I do feel people should watch out for, is the implications for Makishima's actions. Just because there is a corrupt element in the Sibyl system, doesn't necessarily make Makishima the guy to root for. Makishima remains a horrible person, and his ideal world really is a horrible place to live in unless you're into murdering people. Just... Keep that in mind.

Kagari died
Seems clear to me. The paralyze feature was overridden. The gun's shape seems to have been forced into lethal eliminator mode. The only reason we haven't seen Kagari's head a splode is out of the author's respect for the character. The only real justified argument against his death is that some people feel his character hasn't been sufficiently explored yet.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 06:34   Link #136
TheEroKing
On a Break
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: India
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
What will happen to the guy.. its says paralyze right? so he'll not be killed?
The Dominator morphed like it does when in lethal eliminator mode so means she can override the modes. R.I.P. Kagari
__________________
TheEroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 06:51   Link #137
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
The Dominator morphed like it does when in lethal eliminator mode so means she can override the modes. R.I.P. Kagari
Psycho Robot.... Why do good people have to die...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 06:56   Link #138
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Washington
Age: 25
Okay, here come some omg mega spoilers about Sybil System and what Cheguson and Kagari saw..

This was inside the pit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gc96BYHUbY

... disturbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
The Dominator morphed like it does when in lethal eliminator mode so means she can override the modes. R.I.P. Kagari
My question is: If there's no signal down there.. why does she get signal?
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 07:07   Link #139
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Maybe cos Sibyl is RIGHT THERE?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 07:17   Link #140
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Washington
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Maybe cos Sibyl is RIGHT THERE?
That still doesn't make sense though. The signal is routed to the antenna at the very top of the tower. If it's "right there", then it would have functioned within the enclosed area.. However, as Cheguson points out, when they're inside it, they are shielded from the Sibyl System.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.