AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 33 49.25%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 31.34%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 13.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 1.49%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-09, 15:38   Link #41
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Well, it seems it's time for all those arrogant PKers to meet a painful dead.

All in all, pretty cool episode. I hope next episode will show more carnage. I'm looking forward to seeing all the PKers burn to cinders.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 16:40   Link #42
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I get that the human society in SSY is pretty rotten, and I'm not exactly shedding tears here over what's happening now, but you don't find any of these human characters the least bit pitiable, Kazu-kun?

Keep in mind that most of these folks were basically brainwashed their entire childhood and adolescence. We know how Saki and her group had occasional memory wipes - Well, most people in this society had their minds manipulated even more than that. It's hard for me to think that you can hold them accountable for much of anything.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 16:47   Link #43
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
FWIW it's not like they're all a rotten pile of arrogance. Whatever their society is like and for whatever reason, these are people capable of love, compassion, sacrifice, bravery, and so on and so forth.

But I guess it's just cool being edgy.

*hums* darkity dark dark~ ♫
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:03   Link #44
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Keep in mind that most of these folks were basically brainwashed their entire childhood and adolescence. We know how Saki and her group had occasional memory wipes - Well, most people in this society had their minds manipulated even more than that. It's hard for me to think that you can hold them accountable for much of anything.
Agree. We can't even tell what generation is this group already since the the first who started to build this society.. They lived the way they were raised to be... Probably, their only fault is keeping on the old ways and strictly following the blasted bonobo things, lols...But do they know exactly what is right and wrong?

And come on... of all the persons to start the change is none other Yakomaru? If its saki and Satoru to be the ones rebelling... I may have support them since they are more humane that that animal Yakomaru....

Killing one or two of the higher officials is acceptable... but slaughtering and butchering men, women, children and old people just because of their so called "rotten" society is not good..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:10   Link #45
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
If anything, if they had kept with the old method then this wouldn't have happened.

It's only because they tried the experiment with Group 1 to figure out a new way that this is even happening.

Still, there's no point in explaining things in detail to those unable to empathize to the situation and are only able to apply their own ethics even to a what-if type story.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:13   Link #46
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I get that the human society in SSY is pretty rotten, and I'm not exactly shedding tears here over what's happening now, but you don't find any of these human characters the least bit pitiable, Kazu-kun?
I find Saki pitiable, but that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Keep in mind that most of these folks were basically brainwashed their entire childhood and adolescence. We know how Saki and her group had occasional memory wipes - Well, most people in this society had their minds manipulated even more than that. It's hard for me to think that you can hold them accountable for much of anything.
I want them all dead for various reasons, but what really makes me cringe is their arrogance. You can see a bit of it in this episode, and in the previous episode one of the characters (the powerful guy that kicked the bucket) even called themselves the children of god or some shit like that. I mean, I think there's nothing wrong with struggling as much as you can for survival, but to think that you're entitled to it, that you somehow deserve to survive more than others because you're better or more worthy, that's bullshit. And that's the main problem with this people. Everyone of them, maybe with the exception of Saki and Sataru, believes themselves a wonder of the universe.... but these are people who kill their children because they're dead afraid of fiends and karma demons. They're not a wonder of the universe, they're not gods, they're shit. And since they're shit, they should be more humble.

All in all, I think this is a good opportunity for Saki. If she survives, maybe she will find the strength in herself to NOT become another Tomiko. Tomiko was controlled by fear just like everyone else. If the humans are to survive, they need a leader who isn't a paranoid faggot that would sacrifice their children out of fear. Because, the moment you sacrifice your humanity for survival, you can be damn sure karma will come to bite you in the ass, which is exactly what's happening right now. Karma has come in the form of a murderous fiend, and now they have to pay.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:20   Link #47
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
And again, it wouldn't have happened if they had simply continued with what they were doing. Rendering your argument wrong.

In fact, it was trying to move away from "being shit" (your words) that lead to this. Karma didn't bite them in the ass, it's no good deed goes unpunished.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:24   Link #48
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
Maybe a little bit of a wild theory, but the timing seems too tight for a MamoruXMaria child to grow up enough to become a fiend. If this was 5+ years later, then it'd seem more plausible. Or maybe I just don't want to think about the obvious possibilities. (Though a lobotomized PK user probably still has their PK abilities, which would mean they'd go rampaging and wouldn't be controllable. So, I don't think that's actually happened. Hopefully.)
The child could be as old as twelve if he was born soon after Maria and Mamoru left the village. He should be old enough to become a monster, especially when raised by someone such as Yakomaru.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:24   Link #49
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I find Saki pitiable, but that's all.
I want them all dead for various reasons, but what really makes me cringe is their arrogance. You can see a bit of it in this episode, and in the previous episode one of the characters (the powerful guy that kicked the bucket) even called themselves the children of god or some shit like that. I mean, I think there's nothing wrong with struggling as much as you can for survival, but to think that you're entitled to it, that you somehow deserve to survive more than others because you're better or more worthy, that's bullshit. And that's the main problem with this people. Everyone of them, maybe with the exception of Saki and Sataru, believes themselves a wonder of the universe.... but these are people who kill their children because they're dead afraid of fiends and karma demons. They're not a wonder of the universe, they're not gods, they're shit. And since they're shit, they should be more humble.
It is definitely silly and entitled for them to believe themselves as a wonder of the universe. But I think it's also natural for them to be like that since that seems to be something humans do a lot, in general especially those that have endured conflict for a very long time. If a sentient nonhuman species rose and came into conflict with us over control of the planet, there would be much of the same view too.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:25   Link #50
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Rendering your argument wrong.
I wasn't arguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
It is definitely silly and entitled for them to believe themselves as a wonder of the universe. But I think it's also natural for them to be like that since that seems to be something humans do a lot, in general especially those that have endured conflict for a very long time.
Good point. I don't disagree with this.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:26   Link #51
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
And again, it wouldn't have happened if they had simply continued with what they were doing. Rendering your argument wrong.

In fact, it was trying to move away from "being shit" (your words) that lead to this. Karma didn't bite them in the ass, it's no good deed goes unpunished.
Tomiko didn't do this because she thought it was a "good deed". It was a pragmatic decision from her perspective. She wanted some non-sheepified people to help lead the place (and she hoped that Saki would eventually take over for Tomiko herself). And there's nothing wrong with that reasoning whatsoever.


Kazu-kun is right at a pragmatic level. Their arrogance has done them in. All of this was due to underestimation.

First they underestimated Mamorou, and his ability/desire to survive.

Then they underestimated Maria, and her ability/desire to stay loyal to her friends.

Then they underestimated Saki, and her ability/desire to not rat out her friends.

But the biggest of all, of course, was drastically underestimating Yakomaru and the Queerats. Right now, Yakomaru is outmaneuvering them so completely and so thoroughly that I can only call him "Glorious Bastard".
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:26   Link #52
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I wasn't arguing.
Hiding behind semantics. Well, it doesn't surprise me.


Quote:
Kazu-kun is right at a pragmatic level. Their arrogance has done them in. All of this was due to underestimation.
In the underestimation sense I agree. What I was disagreeing with is the idea of "losing humanity" being their downfall.

If anything, it's the height of arrogance to think that "humanity" is necessarily superior or more suited to survival. As you say, it was overestimating themselves and severely underestimating the queerats that did them in.


Quote:
Tomiko didn't do this because she thought it was a "good deed". It was a pragmatic decision from her perspective. She wanted some non-sheepified people to help lead the place (and she hoped that Saki would eventually take over Tomiko herself). And there's nothing wrong with that reasoning whatsoever.
True. It was also quite a trail of incompetence that let Mamoru escape the cats. Still, I'm not sure how "sheepified" the rest of the people were. They still had many demonstrated variety of opinions and directions of thought. Even in Group 1, only Saki was significantly different in attitude towards the queerats and that seems to be more accident than anything.

For that matter, if Group 1 hadn't encountered the False Minoshiro, would they have even ended up much different? The show hasn't managed to explain that well.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:29   Link #53
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The child could be as old as twelve if he was born soon after Maria and Mamoru left the village. He should be old enough to become a monster, especially when raised by someone such as Yakomaru.
She banged Mamoru as soon as they left the village?

She didn't even give herself some time to grief for lost of her love... or she is just frustrated so she uses Mamoru.. C'mon, at least she shouldn't have let him come inside...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:30   Link #54
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
If the humans are to survive, they need a leader who isn't a paranoid faggot that would sacrifice their children out of fear.
I lol'd at the wording here.

And so the trauma train continues. If I lived Saki's life I'd have probably committed suicide about three times over by this point. Love the sense of horror and constant danger that permeated this episode.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:32   Link #55
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
>Kazu-kun

I take it you're also actively rooting for the violent extinction of the human species in the real world, too. (Because otherwise ooh, sweet hypocrisy.)

Seriously, isn't it just so easy to be judgemental and painting everyone with the same brush.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:34   Link #56
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I lol'd at the wording here.

And so the trauma train continues. If I lived Saki's life I'd have probably committed suicide about three times over by this point. Love the sense of horror and constant danger that permeated this episode.
Why waste your life knowing you have power? What a waste? I'll leave the village and hunt some maidens...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:36   Link #57
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
>Kazu-kun

I take it you're also actively rooting for the violent extinction of the human species in the real world, too. (Because otherwise ooh, sweet hypocrisy.)
Whoa, that's quite the memo I missed. I wasn't aware that most modern human societies make a habit out of culling their own young.

I don't fully agree with Kazu-kun myself, but let's not go overboard here.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:36   Link #58
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
>Kazu-kun

I take it you're also actively rooting for the violent extinction of the human species in the real world, too. (Because otherwise ooh, sweet hypocrisy.)
Probably not.

However, there are many people in places of power throughout history who share these same ideas of superiority of their group that is entitled with a mix of fervent hatred of all outsiders that causes them to impose will on everyone that the world could have really done without.

It is natural for humans to develop a human centered view of the world, however actively imposing said view to great amounts of destruction and coercion isn't a good thing, even if some was needed for sheer necessity of survival.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:37   Link #59
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Why waste your life knowing you have power? What a waste? I'll leave the village and hunt some maidens...
"It's okay to live a horrifically traumatic life so long as you can get laid a lot"

Man, Genji's as slutty as Chiyu from Accel World.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:38   Link #60
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Whoa, that's quite the memo I missed. I wasn't aware that most modern human societies make a habit out of culling their own young.

I don't fully agree with Kazu-kun myself, but let's not go overboard here.
Hmm, that can be arguable but I'm going leave it alone instead of putting it in this thread because it'll open a WHOLE can of worms.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.