AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 25 36.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 35.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 22.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 5.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-09, 15:49   Link #161
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They have optical sensors.
So it doesn't bump into things or people. Why would it be able to identify people?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 16:23   Link #162
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
So they can track down specific criminals. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned at some point.

(Or, for that matter, to identify people with a worrying aura so they can send them a mail with advice to medicate some more.)
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 17:26   Link #163
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
Why would they need to track down specfic criminals? Anyone with a high crime coefficient is slated for capture regardless.

Also, it's not like the drones have dominators.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 19:00   Link #164
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Why would they need to track down specfic criminals? Anyone with a high crime coefficient is slated for capture regardless.
Because sometimes criminals escape and cameras are cheaper than full on aura scanners? Again, I'm pretty sure they've talked about using facial recognition to find someone, but I'm not rewatching everything to find it.

Quote:
Also, it's not like the drones have dominators.
They don't need the drones. Just programming the dominators themselves to unlock when faced with helmets would be enough. Heck, authorizing enforcers to run helmet wearers over with their cars would be enough. They're not dealing with determined ideologues. They're dealing with morons who think helmets equal impunity.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 04:33   Link #165
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
Ok lets just put it this way.

Since they -didn't- solve the issue straight away, doesn't that automatically assume it's not as simple as you think it is? It's only been like a few days at best since the helmets first popped up.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 06:02   Link #166
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Ok lets just put it this way.

Since they -didn't- solve the issue straight away, doesn't that automatically assume it's not as simple as you think it is? It's only been like a few days at best since the helmets first popped up.
If you assume the writing's perfect, sure.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 16:09   Link #167
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
Whether the writing is perfect or not really has no bearing on the matter. The matter is, the helmets fool the psycho pass system, and apparently a countermeasure is more complicated than a few button presses.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 17:02   Link #168
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Or they're big morons. You can only conclude they have a good reason if you assume it's not an Idiot Plot, or some other kind of contrived reason.

Oh, I get it - they needed the helmets to work so well, or they'd have no story. They needed for there to be no counter.

It's not even about the specifics - though I still think that their mind reading supercomputer should be able to use optics to recognize someone's wearing a helmet, especially when it can use them to tell people apart.

In the end, it's back to my original complaint: the totalitarian society's failing not because its tyranny brought people to a boiling point, but because it's not totalitarian enough. About it's own survival, too, which you'd think would be the one issue they wouldn't trivialize.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 02:49   Link #169
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
-You- think it should be able to, but it -clearly- can't.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 05:46   Link #170
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Which is a bit like seeing some RPG hero blocked by a waist-high fence.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 11:03   Link #171
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
If you think "technical limitations" equal "magical barrier for no particular reason" then your common sense is gone.

Or do you seriously think everything should be magically possible just because it's "the future"?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 05:13   Link #172
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Of course not. But considering that facial recognition is possible in the present, that I think they've used it to tell who entered what building, and that it takes no tech at all to authorize enforcers to bludgeon helmet wearers to death, set them on fire, and pee on the ashes, I find your "technical limitations" to be a poor excuse.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 10:02   Link #173
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
I'm gonna have to agree with Anh Mihn. If you DO have facial recognition software, it seems a bit bizarre that you can't set it to identify someone wearing a very specific kind of helmet. Certainly ID'ing a standardized and distinctive helmet is allot simpler than the subtle nuances of facial recognition software.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 14:24   Link #174
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
I still believe you are thinking too easily about this. You're basically asking a motion sensor to do a retina scan. I mean, even if it's technically POSSIBLE for a computer to recognize faces, and even if a Drone IS equipped with a camera, if the Drone isn't equipped with such a feature, then there's not much you can do in just a day or two-three.

I mean, why would the drones even have such a feature to begin with? It's horribly inefficient compared to, you know, identifying their Psycho-Pass?

Last edited by Dengar; 2013-02-12 at 15:10.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 01:25   Link #175
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I'm gonna have to agree with Anh Mihn. If you DO have facial recognition software, it seems a bit bizarre that you can't set it to identify someone wearing a very specific kind of helmet. Certainly ID'ing a standardized and distinctive helmet is allot simpler than the subtle nuances of facial recognition software.
A helmet is not a face. Facial recognition software is specialized to require facial markers to detect human features (eg. eyes, mouth, nose) which helmets obviously lack and/or look different than a face.
Saying someone can just flip a switch to recognise helmets doesn't really make sense, because it'd be like making QR code scanner to start reading car license plates (unless I'm mistaken and they can...).
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 01:39   Link #176
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
"It's a human-shaped and it doesn't have a face. Shoot it!".

Heck, Dominators can recognize remote controlled robots as major threats. We've seen it.

And, again, it's not about the tech aspect, even if I think you're blowing that difficulty out of proportions. It's about authorizing exceptional violence on helmet wearers regardless of what their CC reads.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 02:40   Link #177
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
"It's a human-shaped and it doesn't have a face. Shoot it!".
There goes every biker, metalworker, biotechnician, firefighter, baseball catcher, baseball umpire, partygoer, etcetera.

No one needs to authorize violence on helmet wearers, the civilians are already doing a prime job of that. >_>
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 02:47   Link #178
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
There goes every biker, metalworker, biotechnician, firefighter, baseball catcher, baseball umpire, partygoer, etcetera.
If you insist on mechanizing the process (and I don't know why you'd do that, except, again, as a way to make waist high fences impassable), you can give people a delay to take off their face coverings. A state of emergency with a curfew would have simplified things, too.

Quote:
No one needs to authorize violence on helmet wearers, the civilians are already doing a prime job of that. >_>
Because the state's supposed to have a monopoly on violence, and they push that kind of tasks on enforcers and inspectors.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 03:32   Link #179
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
"It's a human-shaped and it doesn't have a face. Shoot it!".

Heck, Dominators can recognize remote controlled robots as major threats. We've seen it.

And, again, it's not about the tech aspect, even if I think you're blowing that difficulty out of proportions. It's about authorizing exceptional violence on helmet wearers regardless of what their CC reads.
I think many poor programmers just curl up in a foetal position and cry whenever someone says, "It's a simple one line if-statement". The technical aspect determines everything. Sorry, but you just described a very complex scenario.
Face scanning: I can understand.
Brain scanning: I can understand.
Recognize human shape (whatever that even means in programming terms!), then if shape has head, then if brain scanning passes but face scanning fails, head looks like helmet, if person is holding hostage, er...too lazy, I give up, crash software .

I don't know about the robot threat. It's possible it was scanning/reading the robot's brain/chip or whatever rather than scanning it optically (I inclined to believe that's the case). Also, it's government developed robots so they'd probably have the specs so they'd know if it's acting abnormally.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 13:15   Link #180
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
Finally! Someone who understands the basics of programming!

I am assuming that the camera really only serves as a way to not bump into stuff, because navigation is done by satellite, and identification is done by psycho-pass. If you want them to suddenly be able to recognize faces (or even helmets), you have to configure them to do that.

When was the last time someone made a videogame in just an hour?

The technology to make videogames already exists right? So according to your logic, they should


By the way Quadratic, it didn't even occur to me that robots could have something that's comparable enough to a psycho-pass that it can be scanned and assessed by the same mechanic. It's so obvious though. Thanks for that insight.

Last edited by Dengar; 2013-02-13 at 14:16.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.