AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-02-10, 10:16   Link #681
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

spice and wolf novels vol 4 and 7
Old 2013-02-10, 15:24   Link #682
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceyfw View Post
currently running them off a fire phoenix dac-02 + AD797BR op amp i put in earlier today. so far the end result is...
That looks suspicious--HiFiMAN products always seem to be focused more on the boutique audiophile folks, and they end up having bad design and lots of measurable problems. Also, that DAC has an NJM4556 to start with, and you replaced it with an op-amp that's designed for extremely high-frequency tasks. Yeah, you could use an AD797 for a preamp stage in a speaker rig, but even Analog Devices claims it's been mostly used in non-audio applications.

People like to replace the NJM4556 because it costs 60 cents and they think that means it's crappy, but it's dumb. That opamp is specifically designed to drive headphones--it's one of the few opamps that measures well into loads below 150 ohms, and it's extremely high-current (70mA). The AD797 manages 50mA but not into headphone loads I'm sure.

These days, I pretty much don't trust a DAC or amp to be decent unless it's made by me... or Violectric, Benchmark or Centrance. Working on putting together an Objective2 and ODAC combo.
Old 2013-02-10, 16:04   Link #683
iceyfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
That looks suspicious--HiFiMAN products always seem to be focused more on the boutique audiophile folks, and they end up having bad design and lots of measurable problems. Also, that DAC has an NJM4556 to start with, and you replaced it with an op-amp that's designed for extremely high-frequency tasks. Yeah, you could use an AD797 for a preamp stage in a speaker rig, but even Analog Devices claims it's been mostly used in non-audio applications.

People like to replace the NJM4556 because it costs 60 cents and they think that means it's crappy, but it's dumb. That opamp is specifically designed to drive headphones--it's one of the few opamps that measures well into loads below 150 ohms, and it's extremely high-current (70mA). The AD797 manages 50mA but not into headphone loads I'm sure.

These days, I pretty much don't trust a DAC or amp to be decent unless it's made by me... or Violectric, Benchmark or Centrance. Working on putting together an Objective2 and ODAC combo.
i'm well aware people can't randomly drop in the AD797 onto a circuit board, and hope everything will work well. i had the op amp in my closet and decided to see what would happen. so far i don't hear any oscillation occuring and it is way better than what i heard from the stock op amp (4556AD JRC). if oscillation does occur, it's no problem on my end. i can roll more op amps i intended to try out in the first place. particularly the AD8597, LT1028, and AD8599 i have laying around.

i've already talked to dsnuts and kiteki on head-fi (i know head-fi isn't what it used to be 4 years ago, but there ARE members who have valuable knowledge and you have to seek them out) and they know fully well about these kind of things, and both agree it wouldn't hurt to try the AD797 and see how it goes since it has a nice internal layout.

did i take a gamble on this DAC/AMP made in china? i sure did! but for 105 shipped with usb/optical/coaxial input, the ability to roll op amps, a headphone amp, and to use it as a DAC with the CS4398 chip if i chose to try another external amp sits well with me.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 21:43   Link #684
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
For that price, I see your point. While I'd love to have a DAC1, they just aren't anywhere in my price range!

One of the things that keeps me from trying out Chinese DAC/amp units is output impedance--it's never publicized, so I don't know if it's going to work properly with my headphones (48ohms). Centrance, Benchmark and Violectric always publish the figures (even though Centrance units default to 10ohms, you can get them to mod it to 1ohm).
Old 2013-02-13, 17:12   Link #685
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author

Old 2013-02-14, 00:37   Link #686
dukenukem
bleach fan

Just got my fujitsu lifebook t730s tablet laptop from ebay today.
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
dukenukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 17:25   Link #687
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Just got my copy of Catherine today to take advantage of a massive price drop by a local retailer. Played the first 2 nights and already got my behind handed to me on the "boss" of the 2nd one. Damn this game is going to be brutal.

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 22:58   Link #688
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Tropico IV - I just love these games.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 12:23   Link #689
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

New batch of books! The last time I will be buying in bulk before I return to my home country and face harsh reality of buying books at exorbitant prices >_____<

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 16:14   Link #690
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
I ordered a Birthday gift for my sister from Amazon and took the chance to order something for myself as well:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Sadly there doesn't seem to be a BluRay version available in the UK so a DVD will have to make do for now (and considering the movie is visually stunning I REALLY wanted the BluRay version).

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 17:21   Link #691
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I ordered a Birthday gift for my sister from Amazon and took the chance to order something for myself as well:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Sadly there doesn't seem to be a BluRay version available in the UK so a DVD will have to make do for now (and considering the movie is visually stunning I REALLY wanted the BluRay version).
I am still trying to wrap my head around how one guy made this. It inspires me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
New batch of books! The last time I will be buying in bulk before I return to my home country and face harsh reality of buying books at exorbitant prices >_____<

So much boooks!! Reading is good though.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 17:42   Link #692
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
I am still trying to wrap my head around how one guy made this. It inspires me.

So much boooks!! Reading is good though.
I have about 600+ books now, and am planning to add more. It's my dream to have my own library.

Old 2013-02-20, 21:25   Link #693
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I have about 600+ books now, and am planning to add more. It's my dream to have my own library.
Like a whole room dedicated to books? That would be really cool, especially with a nice comfy chair
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 21:36   Link #694
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Precisely. Perhaps a small room specially reserved for my beloved books, where I can sit comfortably on an armchair and sip a cup of tea on a lovely Sunday afternoon while immersing myself in my books. The wallpaper for my little library would be blue and pink poppy flowers.

Old 2013-02-21, 09:00   Link #695
Mr.Raw
So damn lazy...ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Raw Send a message via MSN to Mr.Raw Send a message via Skype™ to Mr.Raw

Got this ordered. As a sony fanboy, I am so happy

Random info:
Signature: Sun-Ken Rock

Mr.Raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 10:57   Link #696
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlike1889 View Post

Got this ordered. As a sony fanboy, I am so happy
nice phone, and it's Xperia so seems very expensive
Old 2013-02-21, 11:18   Link #697
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Well, I bought a new microphone since the internal mic I was using on my laptop has poor quality audio... I manage to pick this up for $49 (refurbished, but still look in good shape), which is only 9 dollars more than the Blue Snowflake. From first impressions, it sounds better.

Spoiler for image size:
Old 2013-02-22, 07:49   Link #698
abc0716

Got some Japanese magazines & CD album from CDJapan few days ago...

Spoiler:
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 12:22   Link #699
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Well, I bought a new microphone since the internal mic I was using on my laptop has poor quality audio... I manage to pick this up for $49 (refurbished, but still look in good shape), which is only 9 dollars more than the Blue Snowflake. From first impressions, it sounds better.
Can I haz your wallpaper pls
Old 2013-02-23, 10:40   Link #700
barcode120x
NS

Bought a pair of Powell Shoes by Clae to start off the new semester of college. I actually don't like the yellow part at the bottom but it doesn't really matter to me since it won't show unless one actually looks down there. I really like Clae and their models (I wish they were more well known so that they would come out with more models quicker). Not only do they look "high-end" or "fancy," but they are super comfortable.

And also bought K-Swiss Clean Classics for my clinicals