AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-14, 16:50   Link #26541
solidguy
I'm not a tumor
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the dreams of beautiful women
Age: 22
Kill a life, that's bad. Completely screw one up, that's A O.K.
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 23:10   Link #26542
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
More than half U.S. diplomatic posts may not meet security rules
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91E00O20130215

Senate Republicans block vote on Hagel nomination
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z1
Quote:
Senate Republicans blocked a vote on Chuck Hagel’s nomination as secretary of defense on Thursday, launching an unprecedented filibuster and a severe rebuke to the White House.

Falling one vote shy of the 60 needed to move forward on the nomination, the Hagel filibuster brought stark condemnations from President Obama and Senate Democrats for its precedent-setting nature -- the first time a defense secretary nominee had been filibustered. The setback came during what many believe is a critical period for the Pentagon as it winds down troops from Afghanistan and implements costly budget cuts.
__________________


Last edited by ganbaru; 2013-02-14 at 23:20.
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 23:29   Link #26543
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Take my word, I hate to bring up the gun issue.
Yeeeah, sure you hate it.
Or do you just miss me or something? Because you know I'm going to post about this.

Quote:
Accidental shootings happen more often than defense against home intrustion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2683388.html
From the article:

Paralympian Oscar Pistorius was charged on Thursday with murdering his girlfriend

So murder is an accident now huh?
Never heard that one before.

Quote:
While many many claim guns are best used for self-defense -- the "accidental shooting" is more likely to happen.
Says who?

Homeowner Shoots At Intruders
http://www.lex18.com/news/homeowner-shoots-at-intruders

Armed 87-year-old saves woman: Cops
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/a...ves-woman-cops

Armed Detroit candy store owner fatally shoots attempted robber
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...tore_empl.html

There are plenty more where those came from.

Quote:
Lethal use of force is authorized to law enforcement -- why? Because they're also trained to shoot with discretion.
LMFAO.
NO, actually they don't unless they take it upon themselves to do so.
There are a lot of Yahoos in the police.

Colorado Springs man shot 14 times by police during chase in December, coroner reports
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...oroner-reports

Quote:
They have protocols on when and when not to use lethal force.
Yeah, that protocol is called "spray and pray."

Police: All Empire State shooting victims were wounded by officers
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/25/justic...state-shooting

Quote:
Ordinary civilians do not, where it's often "shoot first, ask questions later".
Where do you come up with these fantasies?



See, when you have a CCW, you are resposible for your actions.
Whereas, unfortunately, many police can literally get away with murder.
Look at what happened to Chris Dorner, do you really believe that the cabin he was in was set on fire on accident?

Quote:
Therefore, at the end of the day, loved ones meant to be protected are at higher risk of getting killed. The supposed "intruder" ends up to be his girlfriend.
No, sorry but you are dead wrong.
We don't know the particulars of this case yet and the police are charging him with murder which means they know something we don't.
He may have intended to kill her.
From the article you posted it says:

"There are witnesses and they have been interviewed this morning. We are talking about neighbors and people that heard things earlier in the evening and when the shooting took place," police brigadier Denise Beukes said.

The circumstances of the shooting have not yet been released.


The investigators know something is amiss, and they'll have to process the crime scene, get the evidence to the forensic specialists and determine what happened. That will take weeks, so rushing to judgement is not a good idea.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 00:39   Link #26544
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
From those articles, it seems that the citizens are better versed in firearms than their police.

Banning firearms won't work. All these people will do is find a bedspring and make a ballistic knife. So what is next, ban beds?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 01:34   Link #26545
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
I think the LAPD and the New York police gave us several "fine examples" of the police being wilder and less trained than gangs on occasion or a symptom of a pattern of a department being in need of massive housecleaning. The Oregon CCW holder in the video showed exactly how CCW is supposed to work. Sadly, there are also many examples as well where such thoughtfulness was nowhere to be seen (or the permit holder was emotionally not level enough for the responsibility)

That's why anecdotes or singular events aren't really useful for pro and con.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 05:07   Link #26546
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Enough about guns. Here's something news worthy.

Meteor fall 'injures hundreds' in central Russia
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 05:08   Link #26547
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Enough about guns. Here's something news worthy.

Meteor fall 'injures hundreds' in central Russia
heh, yeah, there are posts over in the Science & Tech news thread along with a spiffy video from a police car that was driving as it went by.

Bugs, Mr. Rico!
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 05:23   Link #26548
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Enough about guns. Here's something news worthy.

Meteor fall 'injures hundreds' in central Russia
Wow, amazing.... I hope we have those in my place...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 06:59   Link #26549
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
As of now, I am posting from my smartphone on the MRT, which has jammed 4 times for a total of 25 minutes within 7 stations, at 3 of them.

The schoolboy sitting on my right is grumbling about being late for tuition, while the couple across me fell asleep waiting for the train to move again.

And I am late for my night shift. Hope I don't get sacked.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 07:41   Link #26550
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Weary passengers disembark crippled Carnival ship in Alabama
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91D0YT20130215

Technology whizz kid tackles Greek tax evasion
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91E08920130215
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 07:46   Link #26551
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
As of now, I am posting from my smartphone on the MRT, which has jammed 4 times for a total of 25 minutes within 7 stations, at 3 of them.

The schoolboy sitting on my right is grumbling about being late for tuition, while the couple across me fell asleep waiting for the train to move again.

And I am late for my night shift. Hope I don't get sacked.
Why do i have bad feeling about this
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 11:41   Link #26552
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
@ Accidental shootings vs. Home invasion defense stats:

Consider the following: Let's say you have a 99% chance of correctly identifying a home invader on a given night (so you have a 1% chance of not identifying him, and a 1% chance of also falsely identifying someone as a home invader) and you have a 1% chance of having your house attacked by a home invader in a given year.

That means that over a given year, with 365 nights, you will have on average 0.01 home invasion incidents(only happens to you one year in a hundred), but you will have 3.65 occasions where you falsely identify a home invader (false positive).

This means that if you believe there is a home invader, there's a 0.2% (0.01/3.66) chance that what you have identified is in fact a home invader.

Let's be a bit more pessimistic, and say that you on average have a home invasion incident once every year, then it will be 1/4.65, or only 20% chance of any given incident actually being a home invader. With 99% accuracy you would need to expect more then 3 such incidents in a given year before you broke even in correctly identifying a thief.

As a side note, it's this math that's the reason your burglar alarm is always going off without there being any actual burglar. When an event is rare, false positives are much more likely then correct identifications.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 12:56   Link #26553
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Why do i have bad feeling about this
Eastbound Train hit by service failure

Looks like we are not as squeaky clean as the foreigners portray us to be anymore.

Government seeks to make Singaporean NSmen more appreciated

I wish they would bloody stop using 1942 as an example - it is politicians who lead the soldiers to die, conquer and invade, not the state as an overall.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 13:56   Link #26554
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
@Don

The irrelevancy of made up numbers aside, I'm confused as to how you calculated those numbers. If you assume that there is a 99% chance of someone making a good positive ID vs. a 1% chance of making a false ID, how the heck do you come out with a result that says you're hundreds of times more likely to falsely ID someone?
kyp275 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 15:15   Link #26555
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Enough about guns. Here's something news worthy.

Meteor fall 'injures hundreds' in central Russia
Coincidentally the closest asteroid flyby around earth (at 17150 miles. We have satellites that orbit around earth further than that.) happened in less than a couple of hours later. Wait just a minute! Did we just dodge a real Armageddon? And yet Dec 21, 2012 got more coverage than this? We are a hilarious bunch.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 16:04   Link #26556
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Did we just dodge a real Armageddon?
Let's not get too dramatic, that rock *only* had the punch of the bomb that destroyed Nagasaki, so it sucks if it hits your city, but you would need to be a really small country to be obliterated by that (unless of course, some cold war era protocol activates and the nukes start flying because the meteor destroys a Russian city (yeah, reminds me of a Superman comic where destroying the Fortress of Solitude could trigger the destruction of Earth)..

Quote:
And yet Dec 21, 2012 got more coverage than this?
That's because it was MY birthday

Quote:
We are a hilarious bunch.
Yeah, it is hilarious that we still have faith in our media outlets, ha, ha, ha *sound of crickets*
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 16:11   Link #26557
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Coincidentally the closest asteroid flyby around earth (at 17150 miles. We have satellites that orbit around earth further than that.) happened in less than a couple of hours later. Wait just a minute! Did we just dodge a real Armageddon? And yet Dec 21, 2012 got more coverage than this? We are a hilarious bunch.
There's some suspicion that the asteroid has a "cloud of debris" associated with it and the the Russian event was one of the "bugs". I'm still waiting to see what the analysis of the bug's flight path reveals (was it aligned with the asteroid, blah blah).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 16:36   Link #26558
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There's some suspicion that the asteroid has a "cloud of debris" associated with it and the the Russian event was one of the "bugs". I'm still waiting to see what the analysis of the bug's flight path reveals (was it aligned with the asteroid, blah blah).
Wait... what if the asteroid was actually a scout by the bugs?
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 17:03   Link #26559
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
@Don

The irrelevancy of made up numbers aside, I'm confused as to how you calculated those numbers. If you assume that there is a 99% chance of someone making a good positive ID vs. a 1% chance of making a false ID, how the heck do you come out with a result that says you're hundreds of times more likely to falsely ID someone?
The numbers are made up (I don't know what they are!).

Addressing the numbers, it's a quirk of probability and statistics that I was taught in College (lots of people get this wrong!).

Basically, let's take a slightly easier example. Let's say there's a bad flu going round, and it affects 1 person in 1 thousand. The US government has just come out with a great new test, that is 95% accurate, with only a 5% chance of being misidentified (IE a person with a flu being unidentified or a person without a flu being falsely identified). If everyone is tested for the flu, and you're one of the positives, what's the probability you actually have the flu?

Answer: Most people start out saying "95%" which is quite wrong, don't feel bad if that's your first instinct (it was mine too!). To figure this out, we have to count the number of each of these cases:

1. Number of people with the flu, and correctly identified as having it.
2. Number of people with the flu, and incorrectly identified as not having it.
3. Number of people without the flu, and correctly identified as not having it.
4. Number of people without the flu, and incorrectly identified as having it.

Let's say we take 100,000 people? How many will be in each category? Remember, 1 in 1000 have the flu, and the test is 95% accurate.

1. 100,000*1/1000*0.95=95 people
2. 100,000*1/1000*0.05=5 people
3. 100,000*999/1000*0.95=94905 people.
4. 100,000*999/1000*0.05=4995

If you've just received a positive diagnosis, you're either in case 1, or case 4 (both those receive a "positive" diagnosis). The likelihood that you actually have the flu, in this case, is 95[population we're interested in]/(4995+95 [the total population]) or 1.8%! Most of the people who tested positive never had the flu!

You can apply similar logic to guns, of course my logic was slightly flawed, as you don't have a chance of identifying an intruder every night, but only every night you hear some kind of noise (be it an animal, or a family member). Still, if you crunch the numbers, you will probably get false positives vastly outnumbering actual positives. Try it yourself with numbers you think are "reasonable". For instance, you'll need to know how likely you are to experience a home invasion in a given length of time, number of nights in the same period you "hear a noise", and how accurately you can identify an intruder (be it 5%, 50%, 95%, or 99% etc.) From there you can get your ratio of false positives to actual positives.

As an aside, the above maths is why Doctors don't like to rely on single tests, and like to first look for obvious symptoms etc. More "tests" decidedly swing the maths in our favor.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 17:55   Link #26560
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
@Don

The irrelevancy of made up numbers aside, I'm confused as to how you calculated those numbers. If you assume that there is a 99% chance of someone making a good positive ID vs. a 1% chance of making a false ID, how the heck do you come out with a result that says you're hundreds of times more likely to falsely ID someone?
The short answer is that you've got a lot more occasions for confusing your roommate for a home invader than vice-versa, because your roommate is around all the time while you may never see a home invader.

Sorry, Don, but by treating false positives and false negatives like they're the same event, you've made your explanation more confusing.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.